• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

slow news day... I hate sundays... why can't you launch tomorrow Nintendo
6 days wont hurt you
LLShC.gif

The Lamp

I just played it at Wal-Mart and I agree with kotaku. It is difficult to figure out which screen to focus on and since they're not both in your peripheral vision, you have to look between one or the other. I didn't anticipate how much this would affect me.

TriGen

Are Targets doing midnight launches? I heard they don't take hardware pre-orders so I'm hoping I can swing by and grab one at midnight or launch day.

Targets didn't even dom idnight launches for the Wii, at least where I'm from. I got in-line around 7 am. I haven't heard of any place doing a midnight launch for Wii U, except the rare GS or Best Buy, or the 24hr stores.

I just played it at Wal-Mart and I agree with kotaku. It is difficult to figure out which screen to focus on and since they're not both in your peripheral vision, you have to look between one or the other. I didn't anticipate how much this would affect me.

report back in 6 months and let us know if you got use to it.

no one seems to talk about 3DS 3D headaches anymore

report back in 6 months and let us know if you got use to it.

no one seems to talk about 3DS 3D headaches anymore

does anyone still use the 3d on their 3ds? I used it a grand total of three times. the novelty wore off extremely quickly and I just defaulted to playing with it off. in fact, I can't remember the last time I ever turned it on.

It is a little different at first just because no one has played video games that way before really. I'm sure that we'll all get used to it eventually though as the first wave of games will inevitably be full of prompts telling us where to look until it becomes second nature. I know the DS is a little different, but I still consider it a similar situation. If you had shown me The World Ends With You gameplay right at the start of the DS launch I would have been completely confused and felt that I would never be able to play on both screens at the same time. But it came out later in the DS's life when most people had already been playing for a few years so it wasn't too much of a big step up in terms of playstyle. At least that's how I think about the Wii U and its two screens.

(short version: Wii U games will likely have lots of prompts and only have action going on one screen at a time so it'll be clear where to focus, at least in the first wave of games released. Later on there might be games that try adding more intense action to both screens (similarly to the Zombiu inventory screen).

SuperPac

Are Targets doing midnight launches? I heard they don't take hardware pre-orders so I'm hoping I can swing by and grab one at midnight or launch day.

Target had preorder cards for both Wii U sets a few weeks ago. Not sure if they're getting additional units, but at least some of them will already be spoken for.

TriGen

does anyone still use the 3d on their 3ds? I used it a grand total of three times. the novelty wore off extremely quickly and I just defaulted to playing with it off. in fact, I can't remember the last time I ever turned it on.

I never got headaches, and I feel every game looks better with the slider on. As long as it doesn't bother your eyes or anything I don't see why you'd want it off, besides the battery.

Effect

I think it's going to be easier when you are at home and sitting far away enough that you can glance between them easier. I assume they are sitting close to the TV in media offices as well and not on couches or beds relaxing with the TV across the room. That and it will just get easier as one is used to the two screens.

I cannot see 3D I wish I could complain like everyone else

RaidenZR

The 13th is the actual release date Ubisoft has set for the game. NewEgg is still listing the 18th though. It's the same for several other games they are carrying that are suppose to have earlier release dates. NewEgg tends to ship on the release date or the day after if it's on a Sunday.

Oh, interesting. Is there a source for this with other titles that have pre-18th Publisher ship dates? Personally, I'm curious if Sonic is expected to as well.

The only Wii U game I, or anyone I know, have played is Rayman Legends, and all four of us had initial trouble with which screen to look at. The game played mostly on the TV but the Gamepad is new so you obviously want to look at that, but it's alleviated by the fact that both screens are displaying the same information. In fact, I'm almost certain that's why Rayman is the only playable demo; Nintendo certainly has metrics showing that's a new user's tendency.

Effect

Oh, interesting. Is there a source for this with other titles that have pre-18th Publisher ship dates? Personally, I'm curious if Sonic is expected to as well.

Sega has Sonic Racing listed as the 18th for all versions on it's website. ZombiU.com has the 13th date listed. Mass Effect 3 is listed for the 13th as well via the latest trailer and GameStop has it listed for that date as well I believe. Thing is dates aren't the same at all stores. These earlier dates came after the launch day line up came out and I don't think some sites have updated or even changed when they'll ship. Then there is Amazon.com for example that actually shipped out the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 along with the other preorders. Think they've stopped it though. It's really a mess and a guessing game at the moment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The best/worst part of Nintendo securing Bayonetta is gullible gamers, unfamiliar with Kamiya, reading his twitter.

Of course. I only turn it off to see how much better the games are in 3D. I always have it on full.

Same, Games just seem to look infinitely better with the 3D on - maybe due to extra AA or just the depth but either way, I rarely play with the 3D off.

Extra AA is applied in most games when the 3D is off, not when it's on.

That said, having 3D on effectively doubles the resolution of a game so there is that.

I honestly still switch back and forth, I'd leave it on more often but it does tend to nom-nom the batteries something fierce.

I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but do we know if Wii U game saves are locked to the system? Are they copy protected?

Hate not being able to copy my Dark Souls save on ps3.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My Gamestop still can't confirm their shipment numbers.

I'm #7 for a Deluxe model. What are other stores getting, anyone know? I better not miss out! Arg.

Right now I'm thinking I'll grab NSMBU and ZombiU (is the latter actually supposed to be good?) And I'll grab Ninja Gaiden if it turns out to be well-reviewed.

What accessories is everyone getting? I don't think I need a Pro controller, yet. And the Deluxe version comes with plenty of stands and crap. What about a screen protector? Anything else?

qq more

I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but do we know if Wii U game saves are locked to the system? Are they copy protected?

Hate not being able to copy my Dark Souls save on ps3.

IIRC I think they said your Wii U accounts keeps your save files

My Gamestop still can't confirm their shipment numbers.

I'm #7 for a Deluxe model. What are other stores getting, anyone know? I better not miss out! Arg.

Right now I'm thinking I'll grab NSMBU and ZombiU (is the latter actually supposed to be good?) And I'll grab Ninja Gaiden if it turns out to be well-reviewed.

What accessories is everyone getting? I don't think I need a Pro controller, yet. And the Deluxe version comes with plenty of stands and crap. What about a screen protector? Anything else?
Its strange that u mention accessories. Haven't really thought about anything but the Pro controller

qq more

So no downloading saves online and loading them onto your console?
You mean like downloading saves that aren't yours or re-downloading your saves on a new Wii U system? The former seems unlikely I guess.

I hope they are at least backed up online if Nintendo doesn't let the user save them to a flash drive.
Looks like they might be backed up online since they specifically said saves are tied to accounts along with other things.

Coming from this thread:

20:10 First, you must create a Wii U user account. Multiple users w/ Miis per system, up to 12. Game settings, save data tied to user accounts. Browser bookmarks, play history as well.

Developers don't know when information gets released to the public.

They are part of the development team, not the PR of program management team that schedule that stuff.

Some people seriously do not understand how the industry works.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
You mean like downloading saves that aren't yours or re-downloading your saves on a new Wii U system? The former seems unlikely I guess.

Looks like they might be backed up online since they specifically said saves are tied to accounts along with other things.

Coming from this thread:

Don't really think that includes backing them up. I really wish it did but I think it just means like on the PS3 you have to be logged into the profile to use that particular save.

Zeroth

Don't really think that includes backing them up. I really wish it did but I think it just means like on the PS3 you have to be logged into the profile to use that particular save.

Do we know if accounts are actually linked or not the WiiU? Because if so, they would work exactly like the PS3, with the minus that you can't log with an account in a different WiiU.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

I use the 3D all the time. Slider's permanently in the "up" position.

D-e-f-

Banned
The Giantbomb livestream on the 18th will probably decide for me. If ZombiU and NSMBU actually turn out to be must-haves then i'm there day one.

You honestly wanna base your final decision on a quick impressions livestream where they throw in each game for a few minutes and probably forget half of the important things about them because it's a Sunday and there's so much stuff to cover?

Yuripaw

Banned
The thing I hate about having to wait til next Sunday for the Wii U is having to endear one of the worst weeks for me at work. I work at a game store, and with the release of Black Ops 2, we're gonna get nothing but constant business, with no end in sight all week. Ya know, if all these people were actually buying a good game I wouldn't care, but fuck call of duty...it's not that fucking good, and we're gonna have thousands of people picking it up this week. I hate it >_<

Took off work on Wii U day at least, and the following Monday so I can sit home and enjoy it.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Do we know if accounts are actually linked or not the WiiU? Because if so, they would work exactly like the PS3, with the minus that you can't log with an account in a different WiiU.

Linked to saves? They said so in the Japanese Nintendo Direct that saves were kept for each account.

PS3 saves aren't linked to accounts. They're either copy protected (i.e. Dark Souls) or not copy protected, in which case you are free to upload/download them as you please.

Zeroth

Linked to saves? They said so in the Japanese Nintendo Direct that saves were kept for each account.

No, I meant that, if accounts are locked for each system then each account would have its own save (like in the PS3), and wouldn't be able to be played outside the WiiU.

I keep mine on. I feel it makes games much more visceral.

Yuripaw

Banned

To be fair, the current prices of the Wii U being sold by scalpers isn't that crazy just yet. Just because some people are posting at $550-600, doesn't mean they'll get that. The most I've seen people be able to actually get sales for on ebay is in the upper $400s, which...is a little bit of profit. But with ebay fees, and paypal fees, and shipping, I really don't think these people are making out with much profit. Which is why I've told several people who have said I should sell mine, that I don't want to. A: because I want my Wii U, and B: It's not really worth it.

Top Bottom