• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

You should be resting your eyes after a couple of hours. Just put the controller on the cradle and get some sun.

This honestly. At the tender age of 27, I struggle to recall the last time I played any game for even 4 hours consecutively. Gah, actually just the thought makes me feel discomfort.

Keep the thing cradled often, and be fairly diligent about decradling to preserve lithium lifespan blah blah. Also the day 1 Nyko battery option. This will quickly become less of an issue post-launch.

And, all of that said, it is still TECHNICALLY possible to play with it while it charges

Isn't it possible the power draw might exceed USB power levels?

Most likely this... standard USB is 5v up to 1.8amps, I could easily see the Gamepad requiring more than that... or at least the fear that when 2 controllers come out someone will plug them back in and it'll draw too much power.

Jtrizzy

So can you watch tv on the controller? Also, I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need at launch. Right now I'm only getting Mario till I see reviews for the other games, but I've read that I'll need he classic controller pro for wii to play downloadable titles? I have 2 wii motes and nun chuck so far.

Should I wait to see what the deal is with the e shop or VC? I only briefly had a wii before selling it because of the low res on my screen, something I'm still upset about with wiiu. NSMBU should be in 1080p IMO. I was just comparing it to Rayman at a demo station...it looked good but I like playing games at their native res. It will be interesting to see emu/getting the tablet going on a pc.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Considering the Pro Controller does use USB - power draw. As simple as that. Want the thing charged quickly? USB isn't good enough.

Do we know how long the WiiUPad takes to fully charge when empty?

dwu8991

Banned
So can you watch tv on the controller? Also, I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need at launch. Right now I'm only getting Mario till I see reviews for the other games, but I've read that I'll need he classic controller pro for wii to play downloadable titles? I have 2 wii motes and nun chuck so far.

Should I wait to see what the deal is with the e shop or VC? I only briefly had a wii before selling it because of the low res on my screen, something I'm still upset about with wiiu. NSMBU should be in 1080p IMO. I was just comparing it to Rayman at a demo station...it looked good but I like playing games at their native res. It will be interesting to see emu/getting the tablet going on a pc.

yes, through nintendo tvii

but not live tv

D-e-f-

Banned

Man, you amassed a ton of incorrect information. You should not go to the places where you got all that from anymore.

- You cannot watch TV on the GamePad! Only Nintendo TVii services like the Netflix app will let you do that. (see a few posts below for video link)

- You do not need a Classic Controller Pro to play any Wii U games (retail or downloadable). (unless you're talking local multiplayer of course)

- You only need a Classic Controller (Pro) to play Wii (!) Virtual Console software. The Wii U eShop and the old Wii Shop Channel are completely separate affairs. Everything Wii is 100% walled off from all the Wii U stuff.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The "WiiU discs are rounded" thread. Some people went crazy that a thread was made for something so insignificant and a lot of people started to complain that there were no more giant system threads. Pretty much all of them (I think 10+) got banned.

2.5 hours, I think?

Thanks for both bits of information.

AndTAR

Battery life 3-5 hours? Is the controller rechargeable or have they gone with standard batteries like the wii remote?

The battery life is rather short, however there is a large free space in the battery compartment, likely meant for future upgrades. (Around 40% free space in there.)

Jtrizzy

Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if he prudent thing is to wait and see what they put up in the e shop, instead of buying a bunch of VC games and a classic controller pro.

D-e-f-

Banned

Ah, I totally saw that and forgot about it :) (probably cause we dumb Euros won't benefit from any of it)

Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if he prudent thing is to wait and see what they put up in the e shop, instead of buying a bunch of VC games and a classic controller pro.

just wait. you waited this long, you can wait a little longer until they announce their VC plans for Wii U

Lyude77

He was begging for a WiiU megathread in another thread. He and many others were banned either begging for one or complaining that there wasn't one.

Dang, schuelma was a good poster. :(

Does someone want to make that off-TV play thread? I could look for the earlier posts and try to make one...

Hm...according to the OP, Ninja Gaiden 3 reviews come out tomorrow. Even though I'm not interested in it at all, the reviews should be interesting. :p

Drago

I'll make a thread for off-tv games, If one could lend me some help.

These are the games I know of:
NSMBU
Assassins Creed 3
Darksiders 2
Mass Effect 3
Epic Mickey 2 (?)
Several Downloadable games

anyone got a full list?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Most likely this... standard USB is 5v up to 1.8amps, I could easily see the Gamepad requiring more than that... or at least the fear that when 2 controllers come out someone will plug them back in and it'll draw too much power.

They could have put a proprietary connector on the wiiU to supply power. Nintendo like their special cables.

The battery is surprisingly small in the gamepad, maybe due to weight? Even more surprising if battery life really is 3-5 hours. Forget to charge that thing one time and you might only get a couple of hours before its flat.

nickcv

as anyone watched the IGN review of Ninja Gaiden?

THE VERDICT

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge might be the polar opposite of the usual Nintendo fare. The ‘M’ rating on the box is not a joke, what with the hyper-fast ninja action title’s unending display of severed limbs and decapitated heads. It’s fantastic to see this kind of hardcore gamer’s game on a Nintendo console – and at the Wii U’s launch, no less – and you can forget much of what you may have heard about the original release of this game earlier this year on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It’s far from perfect and best viewed with “launch goggles” on, but Razor’s Edge’s unflinching action and unabashed violence is a great sign for the Wii U as a core gamer’s platform.

as anyone watched the IGN review of Ninja Gaiden?

Its a dreadful review. The harsher ones actually seemed to like the game more lol, least they seemed to have played around and gave out useful information to the reader.

IGN's was utter dross. Its a placeholder, nothing more.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Digital Trends: Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge Review

Ninja Gaiden 3 was a mess. It had technical problems, and it just didn’t work all that well. While this game is a port of that one, there is more than just a few new modes and inclusion of a new controller scheme. Razor’s Edge is a better game: Polished and reworked. It’s a second chance for Team Ninja, and one that they made the best of.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge is still a hack and slash game with waves of identical enemies charging you endlessly. The combat is what makes this game, which is good, since that is pretty much all there is. Still, fun is fun. If you are among those looking for Wii U launch titles, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge is among the strongest. 8/10

Gamesradar NG3:RE Review
Ninja Gaiden: Razor’s Edge still remains the weakest title in the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, but additions like the Ayane missions and balancing tweaks make the game a decent, gloriously gory action title. Many of the flaws from the original Ninja Gaiden 3 have been addressed, and, at times, you’ll feel the same thrill you would from the first two titles in the series. But the weak story, repeat enemies, and frame-rate issues still hold the bloody title back from the greatness of its prestigious pedigree. 2.5/5

kodt

Banned
Off TV Play is an awesome feature, but unless 90% of games support it, and continue to support it, it will soon lose it's luster.

If Off TV Play appeals to you, it is probably because you have had to fight for the TV to play games, perhaps someone wants to watch TV or use a different game system. Off TV allows you to game anyway, cool but as soon as AAA game you wanted to play all year doesn't support that feature it will disappoint.

Off TV Play is an awesome feature, but unless 90% of games support it, and continue to support it, it will soon lose it's luster.

If Off TV Play appeals to you, it is probably because you have had to fight for the TV to play games, perhaps someone wants to watch TV or use a different game system. Off TV allows you to game anyway, cool but as soon as AAA game you wanted to play all year doesn't support that feature it will disappoint.

I can't believe it's not a standard feature of the system.

Hiltz

sensui-tomo

Yes. By the way, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD was sadly confirmed to not support Off-TV play. What a hugely missed opportunity, Capcom.

they want you to buy the 3ds version :D, also this allows for a nice picture(apparently you can remove everything off screen and onto the pad for those nice 1080P screen captures) and again its capcom, we have to be happy they were bringing this over here to begin with.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I can't believe it's not a standard feature of the system.

Well, some games that actually use the Game Pad in such a way that it requires the television (ie; ZombiU) wouldn't work with just the Game Pad. Optional is best, just like the achievements. Leave it open for developers.

Bumhead

Banned
This honestly. At the tender age of 27, I struggle to recall the last time I played any game for even 4 hours consecutively. Gah, actually just the thought makes me feel discomfort.

Aye.

The charging cradle will probably be the best Wii U accessory I ever own. For "just a bit of plastic", I didn't half fall in love with the 3DS cradle.

Ridley327

I'll make a thread for off-tv games, If one could lend me some help.

These are the games I know of:
NSMBU
Assassins Creed 3
Darksiders 2
Mass Effect 3
Epic Mickey 2 (?)
Several Downloadable games

anyone got a full list?

I can confirm from the backs of their boxes that CODBLOPS2 and Batman both support off-TV play.

Hiltz

they want you to buy the 3ds version :D, also this allows for a nice picture(apparently you can remove everything off screen and onto the pad for those nice 1080P screen captures) and again its capcom, we have to be happy they were bringing this over here to begin with.

I know you're right, but I still can't help but be disappointed by the news.

Drago

Yes, except for Assassin's Creed 3 if I'm not mistaken. By the way, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD was sadly confirmed to not support Off-TV play. What a hugely missed opportunity, Capcom.
Actually, AC3 does support off tv play according to its instruction manual.

Does Scribblenauts or Tekken support it?

Hiltz

Actually, AC3 does support off tv play according to its instruction manual.

Does Scribblenauts or Tekken support it?

Oh. Well, that's strange how the dev/publisher's aren't making it an announcement. Yeah, Scribblenauts supports off-tv play. No word yet on Tekken.

sensui-tomo

I know you're right, but I still can't help but be disappointed by the news.

i did wish they would have had it in though.. then again i havent played with that controller enough to know if it would feel right for monster hunter, then again doesnt it have a short battery life, and knowing monster hunter that would be an issue(i usually play with friends(yeah got a good sized group 6+ of people who play this series seriously)) but again sad news but i'll double dip so i can play on the go. i think Warriors orochi also allows for off tv play, but not many people play that game(i'll get it after i buy gifts for people.. priorities man only allowed to get 2 games with my current budget (zombiU and nsmbU)

Ridley327

Has it? Giant Bomb didn't know last week. So, do you have to be online to play it from hard drive?

No one knows the particulars of that detail yet, since the eShop isn't live for anyone.

I'm still surprised that people think that the Wii U works like the Wii when it comes to playing digital games; common sense and the fact that the 3DS plays downloads straight off the SD card should have tipped people off.

Hiltz

i did wish they would have had it in though.. then again i havent played with that controller enough to know if it would feel right for monster hunter, then again doesnt it have a short battery life, and knowing monster hunter that would be an issue(i usually play with friends(yeah got a good sized group 6+ of people who play this series seriously)) but again sad news but i'll double dip so i can play on the go. i think Warriors orochi also allows for off tv play, but not many people play that game(i'll get it after i buy gifts for people.. priorities man only allowed to get 2 games with my current budget (zombiU and nsmbU)

I actually didn't take into account the battery life, but can't we continue playing on the GamePad while it's in the charge cradle ? I mean, sure it may not be the most comfortable way to continue gaming, but it's either that or wait 2 1/2 hours for it to charge by itself.

Also, taking a break from playing games is true even though most of us ignore doing so. It's why we see messages in games like in SMG 2 where that fat, purple Luma recommends the player to take a short break.

sensui-tomo

I actually didn't take into account the battery life, but can't we continue playing on the GamePad while its in the charge cradle ? I mean, sure it may not be the most comfortable way to continue gaming, but it's either that or wait 2 1/2 hours for it to charge by itself.

technically couldnt we just play with the gamepad plugged in to the ac adapter? hope its not something stupid like the pspgo where audio is turned off when its plugged in.

Hiltz

technically couldnt we just play with the gamepad plugged in to the ac adapter? hope its not something stupid like the pspgo where audio is turned off when its plugged in.

I would think so. It's kind of funny how for all the cool things Wii U can do, there's a lot of, but it can't do this or that.

but there's also a lot of ,but it can't do this or that.

Such as?

Yes, you can play with the GamePad while it's plugged into the AC adapter. Just did for a few hours.

Good, didn't doubt it would (Nintendo have been making chargeable handhelds for too long) still good to know.
Do you find the wire gets in the way or is it long enough to sort of fall towards the floor rather than being pulled to the side?

Top Bottom