• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Price Drops $50 Effective September 20, now $300, Basic phased out

It doesn't really matter if you're replying to a troll, if you post stuff people disagree with then people are going to reply to you.

I don't really know what to say if you don't want to discuss the content of your posts.

I've discussed pretty much all of it. It's my opinion like I've said so many times already.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I must be. I replied to a troll saying that the Wii U is just trash at any price and anybody that doesn't agree is insane. And then I get attacked for responding to said TROLL for saying Nintendo's holiday lineup better. I'm so crazy!!!cause I have a different opinion :/ everybody must praise the almighty gaming god Sony or be ridiculed.

Yeah. Your posts are sounding crazy.
Calm down.

AniHawk

welp, just reserved the tww hd bundle. i think i can cajole them into letting me return and rebuy the thing until black friday happens just to keep my options open (i have a ps4 and xbox one reserved there as well and they seem pretty cool).

Why do fans of "
Battlefield,Madden 25,Fifa14,NBA 2k14,NFS Rivals,Minecraft,etc..." may not want the Wii U. But fans of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Sonic, Mario Kart, etc not matter?

If you're really into Battlefield and Madden, the Wii U isn't really for you.

No, Nintendo exclusives DO matter (i'm a Wii U owner & haven't sold it because of upcoming exclusives), it's just that they're missing a TON of major 3rd party games & 10's of millions of gamer's will flat out not even consider purchasing the system because of that and other reasons:

Their will be literally zero sports games released for the system this entire year which is unheard of. The PS2 is still getting sports games...
No Kingdom Hearts 3,FF XV,MGS5,Destiny,Witcher 3,Division,Crew,Mirrors Edge 2,Wolfenstein,Dying Light,Strider HD,Soul Calibur 2 HD,TMNT,Mickey Mouse,etc,etc,etc....
The only free-to-play game that i know of that's coming is a spin off of Steel Diver.
No MMORPG's in the U.S. like Elder Scrolls Online.
Very few of the big indie games or download only games from big publishers.
Virtual Console games lacking online play.

Their are just way too many legitimate reasons for people to not buy a Wii U.
All signs point to it being a "Nintendo Box" for most people.

welp, just reserved the tww hd bundle. i think i can cajole them into letting me return and rebuy the thing until black friday happens just to keep my options open (i have a ps4 and xbox one reserved there as well and they seem pretty cool).
I'm tempted, it would match my Zelda 3DS. The collector in me wants it, but the sensible part of me is saying to wait for more games to release.

any of these Nintendo cash-cows (and there's nothing wrong with having a successful, formulaic set of properties) have lost their appeal after time. There was a time I'd be ecstatic upon hearing another Mario or Zelda game releasing. To this day, my Zelda: Ocarina of Time (golden cartridge!) is one of my favorite games. Yet, Nintendo hasn't kept up in the market.

Alas, I have Zelda: Ocarina of Time for my Note 2 and I've moved on to newer experiences that beckon my time and money.

AniHawk

I'm tempted, it would match my Zelda 3DS. The collector in me wants it, but the sensible part of me is saying to wait for more games to release.

i know toys r us (and target, recently) have b2g1f sales in november and october. i'm expecting to do something like:

nsmbu + rayman legends + pikmin 3
gta v + batman:arkham origins + sonic lost world

i bought nslu today as well. so by the time i get around to playing the machine (sometime in november or early december), i should have around 9-10 games for it.

november 22 is the worst god damn day though. a link between worlds, super mario 3d world, and tearaway are all hitting that day.

Sean*O

$50 cut is not enough, it should have been at least $100.00, ideally $150.00 but even $249.99 would have been better.

Secondly, why announce that you will be dropping the price in a month? That's like telling everyone to stop buying your shit right now. They should have dropped the price effective TODAY or not announced it until September 20.

I would like to hear how Nintendo justify's charging $300 for the Wii U when the Sony Playstation 4 is just a $100 more and considerably more powerful, with a more robust feature set, a whole bunch of F2P games out of the box, and a true next gen system that will only get better over the next 5 years.

Wii U needs to drop to $250 and then more gamers will buy it as a companion system.

antonz

$50 cut is not enough, it should have been at least $100.00, ideally $150.00 but even $249.99 would have been better.

Secondly, why announce that you will be dropping the price in a month? That's like telling everyone to stop buying your shit right now. They should have dropped the price effective TODAY or not announced it until September 20.

Retailers are likely given the ok to lower the prices now but the new bundle wont be available until the 20th.

As for your fantasy pricing. New technology doesn't come free regardless of how impressed you are of it.

AniHawk

$299.99 is the correct price:
-gets the 2 in front of anything else. this was more important than the price drop itself, and why people expecting the ps4 cheaper than the xbox one were silly to think $449 or $429 would make a difference. $2xx.xx is all what matters.
-it gives nintendo some room to drop the price in the future without needing to make severe, deep cuts. if $249.99 didn't work, then they couldn't just get it to $199.99 without some serious losses or rethinking their strategy. $299.99 does afford them the luxury of a price drop to $249.99 sometime in the future
-it lets retailers drop the price to $249.99 for the holiday if they feel the need to do so
-if nintendo decides to eventually remove the gamepad from the console, they wouldn't be selling a $149.99 system with a $99.99 controller.
-by bundling what is essentially a brand new release, the value for the machine increases. they also have more to advertise than just a $50 price drop.

wii u sales in the us were about 7.25k a week last month. even if sales dropped to 1k a week, a 30k week when the new bundle+price drops happen would increase sales. there's really no harm in it.

I would like to hear how Nintendo justify's charging $300 for the Wii U when the Sony Playstation 4 is just a $100 more and considerably more powerful, with a more robust feature set, a whole bunch of F2P games out of the box, and a true next gen system that will only get better over the next 5 years.

Wii U needs to drop to $250 and then more gamers will buy it as a companion system.

i'd like to hear sony's justification for a $399.99 system that won't play ratchet & clank: into the nexus, gran turismo 6, grand theft auto v, rayman legends, doesn't come with a game, and makes you pay extra to play multiplayer games online.

every system has to prove its own value. if we made everything relative then we should have never abandoned the ps2.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Not buying one until it's $199. Sorry, Nintendo. You wanna use last gen tech, well you're gonna get last gen money...

$200 or nothing.
if Bayonetta2 is good I'll meet you at $250 BUT THAT'S IT

Penguin

It can always be cheaper to people, but this is the right step.

As for announcement, others have noted doesn't matter since Wii U was selling poorly

I think the other thing is control. How many times have we seen price drops/bundles leaked due to circulars hitting the web early? We just saw it what last week with the PS3 12 Gig model?

DrBo42

I must be. I replied to a troll saying that the Wii U is just trash at any price and anybody that doesn't agree is insane. And then I get attacked for responding to said TROLL for saying Nintendo's holiday lineup better. I'm so crazy!!!cause I have a different opinion :/ everybody must praise the almighty gaming god Sony or be ridiculed.

I think you're referring to my post and if that's so, you should fucking re-read it and the post it was in response to. Cause you know, opinions as you say.

To me the console will stay over priced until it reaches $199 levels because they sunk too much cost into that silly gamepad, and I have no interest in that pad. When I buy the system eventually for X and SMTxFE I couldn't care less about the controller, but I certainly do care that the gamepad has added nearly $100 in cost to the system. That's been my problem all along, I can't justify the price. It feels like I am buying a $200 system and a $100 controller.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
do you mean the green dollars with the smaller faces on them
very_rare_old_us_dollar_bills_02.jpg

That doesn't seem TOO different than this price cut. There should still be some type of ambassador program, even if its less than what we got for the 3DS.

I dunno. I thought the 3DS drop was terrible for early adopters. As an early adopter of Wii U, I expected a price drop before the following holiday season to combat the new MS/Sony boxes no matter how well Wii U sold.

But if you're willing to take a smaller ambassador program, how about a selection of Virtual Console games for 30 cents then?

AniHawk

That doesn't seem TOO different than this price cut. There should still be some type of ambassador program, even if its less than what we got for the 3DS.

$80 was 32% of the 3ds's launch price. $50 is 15% of the wii u's launch price.

the 3ds's price slashing was quite unlike anything in recent history. the wii u's price drop is more in line with the gamecube's and ds's in terms of amount and timing.

Penguin

I believe this is why they didn't want to do it the first time, people come to expect it when it was a one-time affair

You buy any product with the knowledge that it may one day be cheaper. Doesn't necessarily mean you're eligible for some type of compensation for it.

And 10 months is fairly reasonable for a struggling console price drop.

Think Ps3 and Cube had one around that time.

dysonEA

I dunno. I thought the 3DS drop was terrible for early adopters. As an early adopter of Wii U, I expected a price drop before the following holiday season to combat the new MS/Sony boxes no matter how well Wii U sold.

But if you're willing to take a smaller ambassador program, how about a selection of Virtual Console games for 30 cents then?

I see what you did there :(

methodman

Banned

I agree with you, especially about the Wii U price drop coming for the Holiday season.

Bought both the Wii U and 3ds on day one. I felt pretty dumb for purchasing the 3ds and realizing the price will be reduced 80 only after 5 months. That was crazy, lol... but the ambassador program is awesome, definitely appreciated that. The Wii U? Not an issue at all with a price drop.

dysonEA

I believe this is why they didn't want to do it the first time, people come to expect it when it was a one-time affair

You buy any product with the knowledge that it may one day be cheaper. Doesn't necessarily mean you're eligible for some type of compensation for it.

And 10 months is fairly reasonable for a struggling console price drop.

Think Ps3 and Cube had one around that time.

Thinking about it, if they just made a unified account system, that right there may be enough. Play my 3DS ambassador games on the Wii U. At least that'd be something :/

Penguin

Thinking about it, if they just made a unified account system, that right there may be enough. Play my 3DS ambassador games on the Wii U. At least that'd be something :/
I hear it is in the works, but who really knows what the next update will bring

AniHawk

playstaton: $100 price drop may 1996 (9 months after launch)
sega saturn: $200 price drop may 1996 (13 months after launch)
nintendo 64: $50 price drop march 1997 (7 months after launch)
dreamcast: $50 price drop august 2000 (12 months after launch)
playstation 2: $100 price drop may 2002 (20 months after launch)
gamecube: $50 price drop may 2002 (7 months after launch)
xbox: $100 price drop may 2002 (7 months after launch)
xbox 360: $50 price drop august 2007 (22 months after launch)
playstation 3: $100 price drop july 2007 (9 months after launch)
wii: $50 price drop september 2009 (35 months after launch)
wii u: $50 price drop september 2013 (10 months after launch)

gba: $20 price drop september 2004 (40 months after launch)
ds: $20 price drop august 2005 (10 months after launch)
psp: $50 price drop april 2007 (26 months after launch)
3ds: $80 price drop august 2011 (5 months after launch)
vita: $50 price drop august 2013 (19 months after launch)

so overall the wii u price drop is fairly consistent with most consoles throughout the last 20 years.

As for your fantasy pricing. New technology doesn't come free regardless of how impressed you are of it.

I just wrote a long post saying the exact same thing, but you saved me the trouble. It's amazing how many people continue to discredit what the WiiU does. It's not a Playstation 4, and that's okay.

With that being said, cheaper isn't a bad thing. I hope they get some really good marketing behind it this time around.

Jobbs

Banned
The Wii U offers a unique experience, I really enjoy mine, and I wish more third party games were on it, taking advantage of the controller. I didn't feel ripped off at $350 a few weeks ago, that said, it does sting a bit having such a more attractive option ($300 + a game I actually want!) coming so soon after my purchase. This is a really attractive price point, though, and I hope you fence sitters are gonna go ahead and jump off -- This is a great console.

In a moment I'm gonna go to bed and play around with the Wii U controller, check miiverse, maybe draw some pics, maybe play around with a VC game (BTW, NOA, we need more VC games! what's the hold up?) or somethin -- Before I fall asleep. As I so often do. I love this thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So no more white Wii U? Kind of a shame. The system looks great in white.

xbox: $100 price drop may 2002 (19 months after launch)
It wasn't 19 months, it was just 6 months. Xbox was released in 2001.

playstaton: $100 price drop may 1996 (9 months after launch)
sega saturn: $200 price drop may 1996 (13 months after launch)
nintendo 64: $50 price drop march 1997 (7 months after launch)
dreamcast: $50 price drop august 2000 (12 months after launch)
playstation 2: $100 price drop may 2002 (28 months after launch)
gamecube: $50 price drop may 2002 (7 months after launch)
xbox: $100 price drop may 2002 (7 months after launch)
xbox 360: $50 price drop august 2007 (22 months after launch)
playstation 3: $100 price drop july 2007 (9 months after launch)
wii: $50 price drop september 2009 (35 months after launch)
wii u: $50 price drop september 2013 (10 months after launch)

gba: $20 price drop september 2004 (40 months after launch)
ds: $20 price drop august 2005 (10 months after launch)
psp: $50 price drop april 2007 (26 months after launch)
3ds: $80 price drop august 2011 (5 months after launch)
vita: $50 price drop august 2013 (19 months after launch)

so overall the wii u price drop is fairly consistent with most consoles throughout the last 20 years.

FTFY

Jonm1010

Banned
I just wrote a long post saying the exact same thing, but you saved me the trouble. It's amazing how many people continue to discredit what the WiiU does. It's not a Playstation 4, and that's okay.

With that being said, cheaper isn't a bad thing. I hope they get some really good marketing behind it this time around.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in saying my hesitance with the wiiU is that i am failing to see much of anything its bringing to the table.

From where I'm standing I see a console that has last gen tech, an archaic online system with a very small community, will miss out on a large quantity of third party titles and will get lesser versions of the few they do get, and a first party family that is seemingly playing it fairly safe in terms of their development plans in the short and near term.

It is the only platform that will have Mario, Zelda, smash and the like. But to me it's IP's are really its only positive and as such I am gonna wait for a much lower entry price before I buy in. Probably $199 or less and after a collection of exclusive titles have built up and have become cheaper.

Good to see Nintendo come to fight.

A $299 MSRP means $250 holiday deals with likely a game packed in.

It's their one and only shot to get momentum, or the platform is royally screwed,

They are doing that they have to. Commend them for that. Their holiday success will also depend on xb1/ps4 availability.

Jonm1010

Banned
Good to see Nintendo come to fight.

A $299 MSRP means $250 holiday deals with likely a game packed in.

It's their one and only shot to get momentum, or the platform is royally screwed,

They are doing that they have to. Commend them for that. Their holiday success will also depend on xb1/ps4 availability.

Despite my previous comment I do agree it is absolutely the right move.

I may not want one still but I give credit to Nintendo for not being stubborn. Based on words by Iwata and other sI thought they were going to dig their heels in and stay the course of this broken pricing policy.

I will say I think $249 would be the sweet spot but with holiday deals and a bundle and perhaps a lucky chance of the ps4/Xbox being supply strained, Nintendo could make a dent this holiday. I'm not expecting a big one but perhaps a nice little upturn.

Top Bottom