• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Price Drops $50 Effective September 20, now $300, Basic phased out

Dipswitch

6 - 12 months too late, $50 too little.

The sweet spot for this thing is $249 with a pack-in game, $199 for just the console. No way this small of a price drop sells enough units to move the needle appreciably.

Unlike many others I don't believe the Wii U is dead...yet. But, this had better be just a first step and not the final one to get that price down where it needs to be.

This. I might have jumped on this package day one, but a year later things have changed (Namely, impending competition and a dearth of 3rd party support). It's a good first step, but it needs to go further. And abandoning the basic unit was a mistake IMO - I can't be the only one looking to buy into the eco-system at the cheapest price possible and who doesn't want to pay for pack-in titles that either don't interest me or that I've played some derivation of before.

WillyFive

Our faces when the Ambassador program on the Wii U was all of the NES games for 30 cents.

image.php

Mlatador

Banned
This. I might have jumped on this package day one, but a year later things have changed (Namely, impending competition and a dearth of 3rd party support). It's a good first step, but it needs to go further. And abandoning the basic unit was a mistake IMO - I can't be the only one looking to buy into the eco-system at the cheapest price possible and who doesn't want to pay for pack-in titles that either don't interest me or that I've played some derivation of before.

Ok, I don't have anything against good arguemnts, but shit like "death of 3rd party support", while almost every major 3rd Party game from Cod:Ghost to Watch Dogs is coming this fall on Wii U is a downright lie and people should be ashamed for it.

The price "cut" is weak. Market already decided it didn't want a Wii U for either 300 or 350.
The market showed it would take a $350 Deluxe over a $300 Basic. If anything the market decided it didn't want a console that went for 6 months without even a trickle of decent exclusives, and no backlog to delve into past a handful of launch games.

synce

The market showed it would take a $350 Deluxe over a $300 Basic. If anything the market decided it didn't want a console that went for 6 months without even a trickle of decent exclusives, and no backlog to delve into past a handful of launch games.

The games will come when there's a big install base... but you can't have a big install base if your price doesn't appeal to casual gamers and parents, and Nintendo doesn't have anything like God of War or Halo to bring in the hardcore either.

That said, I really have to wonder who was buying the premium model because even I was eyeing the basic. At $250 I might've bitten for Bayonetta 2. But I don't think this "drop" will do anything. If they reach $250 by the next major Mario or Zelda, Nintendo can start moving consoles.

Top Bottom