• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Got my deluxe set at Gamestop this morning. There were 3 other dudes waiting, but apparently they were turning away people without preorders all morning.

Looks like the update will be done in about an hour. With the ZombiU reviews scattershot all across the board, I can't wait to jump on the eshop and give it a download.

TheExodu5

Banned
Not sure if it's been posted or not, but I just answered my own question of whether or not audio from the Component(or composite) cable will work alongside video out from the HDMI. No Go. HDMI being plugged in appears to disable the other port completely.

This is a huge issue for me, since I'm hooked up to a projector.

Anyone have display issues yet? My tv(or wiiu) keeps stuttering and displaying random black lines on the left side of the screen. I've swapped cables/inputs, but nothing seems to help. None of my other consoles have this problem.
HELP??!

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
The Wii Mode looks better than Component cable Wii, IMO. I'm going to test it with Mario galaxy after I transfer my wii stuff.

Got my deluxe set at Gamestop this morning. There were 3 other dudes waiting, but apparently they were turning away people without preorders all morning.

Looks like the update will be done in about an hour. With the ZombiU reviews scattershot all across the board, I can't wait to jump on the eshop and give it a download.

My experience at Gamestop was the same, and yep, I am mid update, and yep, the scattershot reviews have me weirdly more excited for ZombiU too!

kunonabi

Anyone ever try and cancel at item from Amazon when the status is shipping soon? How likely is that they actually cancel it? I want to use the Toys R Us deal instead.

Well got to gamestop at 9:25 and it opened at 10. Guess what?

No one else in line lol. No one came even as we were leaving at 5 minutes past 10.

Man I hope WiiU takes off. Obviously it won't like the Wii did but I hope its sucessful enough.

Anywayz: Got my WiiU basic, New Super Mario Bros. U, $20 WiiU Card for Nano Asssault, and ZombiU. Downloading the update. Its not as long as I feared, maybe an hour tops. I wanna get online so I figured I'd go ahead and do it.

So glad I went with white. Its so beautiful. Sure, I'll end up paying more with NL and no eshop discount, might also get the vertical stand...but the system color is the one I'll be stuck with and White just looked better.

bryehn

So with the DDP program, the website says it launches in December?

Meaning, if I buy games today I won't get points back?

If so, what the ever-loving fuck.

The Wii Mode looks better than Component cable Wii, IMO. I'm going to test it with Mario galaxy after I transfer my wii stuff.
That was pretty much known (assumed) before anybody ever held a Wii U.

The Wii's video out, on ANY connection, was always garbage.

So yeah, this will be a good way to play or replay Wii games, even if they're still in 480p.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I left Best Buy about 15 minutes ago and they had 2 of each model left for walk ins (this was 45min after opening) after accounting for those in line (about 5 people then). Reading this thread and people leaving empty handed seems strange:) one of those your mileage may vary instances.

The odd part is there was a shady guy lingering about. The clerk kept asking him to leave, but he kept saying, "what the fuck, I'm just looking at controllers." Security then came by. I'm not sure I get what he was doing, he already had a Wii U, but the clerk kept saying, "I know what you're up to." Odd.

He probably has tried to steal stuff from that store before and the employees recognize him at this point.

newsguy

Guys can anyone with NBA 2k tell me if it supports playing only on the pad?? I want to trade my 360 version just for this feature

Same story, about 3-4 people in line before us, the person first in line thought she was going to get a deluxe set from gamestop without having a preorder... she left very disappointed.

For not being very well advertised, I'd say it's at least selling pretty well. I was at gamestop for the Vita launch and I was the only one who picked one up <_<

Toki767

Walked into Target 30 minutes after they opened. Saw 15 Basic and 10 Deluxe models. Walked out with a Deluxe. It's easy to find one today. But who knows after Black Friday.

Phloxy

I called Nintendo they said the premium is already active on the system. Buy away the points you can redeem go live in December.

Well got to gamestop at 9:25 and it opened at 10. Guess what?

No one else in line lol. No one came even as we were leaving at 5 minutes past 10.

Man I hope WiiU takes off. Obviously it won't like the Wii did but I hope its sucessful enough.

Anywayz: Got my WiiU basic, New Super Mario Bros. U, $20 WiiU Card for Nano Asssault, and ZombiU. Downloading the update. Its not as long as I feared, maybe an hour tops. I wanna get online so I figured I'd go ahead and do it.

So glad I went with white. Its so beautiful. Sure, I'll end up paying more with NL and no eshop discount, might also get the vertical stand...but the system color is the one I'll be stuck with and White just looked better.

Where do you live? Its sold out everywhere here.

Banned
I figured it out. You can adjust screen size in the nintendo eshop menu (it should have been in settings on Wii u menu but meh)

ElRenoRaven

Wow. Just walked into the local Wal Mart here to buy Black Ops 2 and they had 3 of each model sitting in the case ready to buy. I don't know what to think to be honest.

Does the Premium Pack include a Wii U Pro Controller?

Nope.

And my wife just decided she hates the Wii U. LOL. I didn't think about this ahead of time, but for people with different prescription glasses (for far and near) it's a pain in the ass for the console to keep telling you to look at the screen. Whoops.

That is quite disappointing to hear.

My Wii U is updating right now, but I'll go through the audio options after and see if I missed something. Out of the box though, HDMI disables the other video port.

flattie

Not sure if it's been posted or not, but I just answered my own question of whether or not audio from the Component(or composite) cable will work alongside video out from the HDMI. No Go. HDMI being plugged in appears to disable the other port completely.

That is quite disappointing to hear.

So here's my experience.

I went to the Curtner plaza in San Jose since it has a Target, Toys R Us and Best Buy all in the same place. I don't know why I continue to go here since the selection and stock is typically bad and it ends up being a waste of a trip. It's probably because they're all next to each other and I fall for it all the time.

Anyways, I get there 15 min before Target and Toys R Us opens and I'm 6th in line at Target and probably would have been around 10 or 12th at TRU. I think I've scored a system and won't have to grab my preorder later. Nope, Target only gets 3 deluxe and 1 regular so I miss out on that. On top of that, their game selection is so small that I can't even select three games that I want to get their sale. No Scribblenauts, no Sing Party, no Tekken, no Sonic. Toys R Us is sold out by the time I get there and they've run out of Sing Party and don't have Tekken. Instead of buying games, I opt to go somewhere else.

I end up at the Target in Oakridge. They have a better selection of games and I get my first batch, Mario, ZombiU and Sing Party, but they don't have Scribblenauts, Sonic, or Tekken. They're sold out though on Wii U. So then I head to Blossom Hill Toys R Us and get Scribblenauts and Sonic but still no Tekken. They ask if I wanted a console and I was surprised they had any left. They had two regular units but no deluxe so I pass on it.

I guess I'll need my preorders afterall.

Anth0ny

Does anyone know how the battery life on the controller is with:

1)Lowest brightness setting/power saving on
2)The screen OFF

Just curious.

So with the DDP program, the website says it launches in December?

Meaning, if I buy games today I won't get points back?

If so, what the ever-loving fuck.

they explained that current purchases would count, you just can't cash in points for store credit until December.

Toki767

So here's my experience.

I went to the Curtner plaza in San Jose since it has a Target, Toys R Us and Best Buy all in the same place. I don't know why I continue to go here since the selection and stock is typically bad and it ends up being a waste of a trip. It's probably because they're all next to each other and I fall for it all the time.

Anyways, I get there 15 min before Target and Toys R Us opens and I'm 6th in line at Target and probably would have been around 10 or 12th at TRU. I think I've scored a system and won't have to grab my preorder later. Nope, Target only gets 3 deluxe and 1 regular so I miss out on that. On top of that, their game selection is so small that I can't even select three games that I want to get their sale. No Scribblenauts, no Sing Party, no Tekken, no Sonic. Toys R Us is sold out by the time I get there and they've run out of Sing Party and don't have Tekken. Instead of buying games, I opt to go somewhere else.

I end up at the Target in Oakridge. They have a better selection of games and I get my first batch, Mario, ZombiU and Sing Party, but they don't have Scribblenauts, Sonic, or Tekken. They're sold out though on Wii U. So then I head to Blossom Hill Toys R Us and get Scribblenauts and Sonic but still no Tekken. They ask if I wanted a console and I was surprised they had any left. They had two regular units but no deluxe so I pass on it.

That's a shame. The ones in Daly City near San Francisco seem to have gotten a ton in stock.

Does anyone know how the battery life on the controller is with:

1)Lowest brightness setting/power saving on
2)The screen OFF

Just curious.

There's a way to adjust brightness/powersavings/turning the screen off?

No joke... didn't see any such options when I was playing with it and I don't recall seeing it in the manual when I glanced through. I'll double check the manual again.

Sorry if this has been asked, but is it possible to have video sent through HDMI while audio comes from the stereo connectors on the Wii component video cable? If so, I can't figure it out for the life of me...

A user on Gamefaqs (I know...) claims there should be an option, but from what I can tell it's either/or, not both.

Ydahs

:(

Thanks for the update. Looks like I'll be wearing my headphones until I find a solution...

TheGrue

In the slowest line ever to pick up my ship to store preorder. Was hoping I could just get this at the pickup counter, but they're forcing everyone into this one line. Ssssssllllooooooowwwww!

Downhome

Netflix is working awesome for me, so no problems there. I have no clue how to start Hulu Plus or Amazon Video though. Are those not activated yet?

EDIT:

Just saw the notification on the GP, they are coming soon. That's fine. I just thought all were coming at the same time.

Compared to last year there was a significant decrease in demand.

For the Wii launch there were over 80 people in line at my Best Buy before opening. For the Wii U there were 10.

Funny enough, you can still control your TV using the GamePad during a system update.

Yeah I found that out as well. It truly seems to be a seperate part, in the controller's OS itself (you don't even need the system on to use it)

Seems my update is now going through.

Found the brightness control options in the manual to... It's less than 1 paragraph with no pictures which is why I missed it the first time.

Are you trying to connect to a 5Ghz network? I could not get mine to connect to my 5Ghz network, but was able to connect to the 2.4Ghz network.

I had a problem with my 2.4ghz network at first... It literally kept saying it couldn't connect... but it connected to the internet through my phone with no prob. I had to restart my router and then it worked. No connection problems since... my router was just being a turd, does that sometimes when new devices connect.

Codeblue

For the Wii launch there were over 80 people in line at my Best Buy before opening. For the Wii U there were 10.

I have about half the excitement for the Wii U than I did for the Wii, and I think a lot of it had to do with how ridiculously excited I was for Twilight Princess.

Mardak

So you will be able to get a console? I had no trouble picking up 2 deluxe preorders at the Almaden Walmart near Oakridge. I have another deluxe preorder at the Best Buy that I haven't picked up if any friends wanted one but couldn't get it.

joedick

I'm sure there's going to be less demand for Wii U, but I think more places are doing pre-orders this time around too.

deleted

I hate to wait two weeks to get my hands on a system :p Hopefully the day1 update you all downloaded is pre-installed for EU systems.

There are a few unanswered questions left for me though:

eshop:
  • Is there a demo section? Are there demos available (I know there was some talk about a ZombiU and a Rayman Demo)?
  • Has anyone tried to log his account into another console? What does it say about the games you purchased?
  • Can you download games and play another one at the same time? Is it possible to play an online game while downloading.. -> answered in the eShop thread. It's possible :)
  • How fast is the download? For games like TTT2 I hope the system dls as fast as possible.

Browser:
  • Can you have one tab active on the main screen (e.g. twitch or giantbomb) while browsing another on the gamepad?

Games
  • Can you play CoD online with one player on the main screen and another on the gamepad? If so, does the second player log in with an/his account while you play the 'guest" account?
  • How do you share your accomplishments and replays in the miiverse? How does it look?
  • Do you play replays through the game or through the Miiverse-channel?

System
  • Any success story with the remote function and receivers?
  • Can you use the Wiimote to navigate the system (not sure why I would, but since I have to use it for multiplayer in NSMBU - why not?)?

I'd love to try out all these things by myself, but the EU launch date is what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom