• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U rumors: Limiting chipset for controller, developer issues, release date talk

teiresias

Um...didn't Vigil end up getting the streaming to the controller to work...in a very short space of time?

StevieP said:
10 minutes.

Everything I saw just said they said it took 10 minutes to write the code to implement it - which obviously would have been on the dev kit that they had at the time, which very well could have been/probably was tethered rather than wireless - what they said didn't mention anything about whether it was wired or wireless. If wireless is just now being implemented and Nintendo is running into problems nothing Vigil said earlier would necessarily be untrue with what hardware they had at the time, but there could now be problems.

Well we already know for a fact that at least one controller communicating with the Wii U works perfectly fine.

It could be that they're testing support for multiple controllers (which would be very difficult to pull off for sure), or it could just be compete bollocks.

Either way, snags like this are normal for incomplete dev kits on unreleased consoles. We wouldn't normally hear much about this kind of thing from Nintendo though, because they never usually unveil their consoles this early.

BurntPork

Banned
JABEE said:
Maybe what you've heard is crap? Maybe this is crap? Who knows? These Nintendo threads of late remind me of the PS3 slim threads of a few years ago. Everyone always reacts with insane skepticism, but then it ends up being true. It seems like every post is a preemptive defense or discrediting claim about the source of an article. Does anyone expect people who are under NDA or reliant on Nintendo's support to openly criticize a console for which they are working to develop games on?
Nobody's asking them to outright lie. Vigil didn't have to say that it was easy to develop for, so there's no reason to just lie about it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
saichi said:
how many systems is Nintendo going to cancel? Yesterday they were gonna cancel 3DS and launch a new device that downplays the 3D. Today they are cancelling Wii U.

long live the DS and the Wii!

Canceling the 3DS is stupidity on all levels. Modifying/"canceling" the Wii U wouldn't be.

When Ubisoft demonstrated Killer Freaks, was the controller wired? My (admittedly poor) memory says it wasn't.

EDIT: Nope, it was wired.

Shiggy

Sounds credible, nothing that sounds absolutely unbelievable. Especially considering the same source is said to have given the Cafe information. Actually, they got the initial releasedate plans right and the issues with current dev kits are obvious, the hardware is just not ready.

Thoraxes

Since I just bought some sea salt, I'll use that instead of a pinch.

Also, how did Nintendo's games work very well with wireless controllers? Part of me thinks proper working parts are done, it's just a matter of what to give developers and when. Also of note, I do believe developers have tethered kits, because of what was shown at the Nintendo/Ubisoft combo evening presser.

[Nintex]

test_account said:
Wasnt it 01net who said that the PS Vita had it's RAM reduced 50%? That didnt happen. Have 01net a history of being right?
That did happen but after third parties were pretty vocal about the decision they decided to keep the RAM.

Shiggy said:
Sounds credible, nothing that sounds absolutely unbelievable. Especially considering the same source is said to have given the Cafe information. Actually, they got the initial releasedate plans right and the issues with current dev kits are obvious, the hardware is just not ready.

On the other hand, this is the same source that is posting that utterly ludicrous rumour about the 3DS rebranding and their report about the cut in Vita's RAM turned out to be wrong.

I'd hardly consider one lucky break to make them a credible source. Especially when somebody (maybe even from Sony) could just be feeding them bullshit.

Wasnt it 01net who said that the PS Vita had it's RAM reduced 50%? That didnt happen. Have 01net a history of being right?

No it didn't happen. They've been (partially right) once and only once.

[Nintex] said:
That did happen but after third parties were pretty vocal about the decision they decided to keep the RAM.

I want a (credible) source right now or you're a liar. I cannot stand bullshitters and I show no mercy.

WillyFive

ii Stryker said:
Ninty skimping on tech in favor of functionality at a profit.

And this surprises people?

Yes, because that's not what's happening here. It's not functioning well, and it's expensive.

Sennorin

Banned
I don´t like many things Nintendo is currently doing, BUT the gaming media should just write "FUCK YOU, NINTENDO" on their main page instead of all these forced doom & gloom-"articles". It´s tiring and disgusting. Anyone who wants Nintendo to copy Microsoft and Sony should simply stop caring for Nintendo. Will be better for fans and non-fans.

[Nintex] said:
There was someone on GAF with a good track record who said it, picked up some other chatter about this as well but the best source is probably the developer who pretty much confirmed it:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dev-confirms-ps-vita-ram-cut-claims/082514

That is not proof of any kind. All that says is that the RAM was cut, but the final hardware still has 512MB/128MB VRAM (thus discrediting this source completely)

There is no mention of Sony backpeddling on their decision and putting the missing RAM back in.

If that's the best you can do, you may as well give up now.

[Nintex]

Nuclear Muffin said:
That is not proof of any kind. All that says is that the RAM was cut, but the final hardware still has 512MB/128MB VRAM.

If that's the best you can do, you may as well give up now.
Depends on how you look at it:

“Remember the PSP had 32 MB of RAM, we have about ten times that now,” he claimed.
I didn't know 10x 32MB equals 512+128

'about 10x' 32 MB would put it at 320MB or maybe 256 MB+128 MB VRAM

Asked if the alleged RAM cut will affect Novarama’s own projects, Sánchez-Crespo said:
“no that won’t affect us. It’s actually good for developers to work under constraint. Generally for Vita, we still have a whole lot of headroom in terms of GPU power, CPU power and indeed RAM”.
Why would he talk about constraints if there was no cut?

So I'm pretty certain that at some point Sony had plans to cut the RAM but decided not to do it. A lot can change when systems are in development. Maybe they tested to see how the system would perform without as much RAM.

[Nintex] said:
Depends on how you look at it:

I didn't know 10x 32MB equals 512+128

'about 10x' 32 MB would put it at 320MB or maybe 256 MB+128 MB VRAM

Why would he talk about constraints if there was no cut?

So I'm pretty certain that at some point Sony had plans to cut the RAM but decided not to do it. A lot can change when systems are in development. Maybe they tested to see how the system would perform without as much RAM.

I thought the same thing myself, but the hardware has not been cut.

There's no way that they could show off a game like Uncharted Golden Abyss running with 512MB of RAM and then on 256MB of RAM with no graphical downgrade. That is not possible at all.

I was thinking that it could be that the OS takes up 256MB of RAM out of the 512MB total (thus explaining the "cut") but that's not what 01 Net's report said.

01 Net were wrong, plain and simple. They specifically mentioned a hardware cut in RAM, that clearly did not happen.

If you are going to blindly believe what they say after that and this unbelievably contrived 3DS rumour, then you are dumber than I thought (or you are purely trolling)

test_account

XP-39C²
[Nintex] said:
There was someone on GAF with a good track record who said it, picked up some other chatter about this as well but the best source is probably the developer who pretty much confirmed it:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dev-confirms-ps-vita-ram-cut-claims/082514
Thanks for the link. I guess this is based on the saying of "Remember the PSP had 32 MG of RAM, we have about ten times that now". Someone here at NeoGAF said that he know this developer guy from Novarama, and he said that this was more about general speak.

He said that saying "it has times more" in spanish is just a way to say that something has much more, kinda like saying "it takes 100 years to do it" as a way to say that something takes a long time to do, not that it litterally takes 100 years.

I wonder more what this means though: "Asked if the alleged RAM cut will affect Novarama’s own projects, Sánchez-Crespo said: “no that won’t affect us.". But who knows. I guess that we never will get it confirmed 100% if the PS Vita RAM was cut to begin with or not. But at least the PS Vita ended up having 512MB RAM regardless :)

[Nintex]

Nuclear Muffin said:
I thought the same thing myself, but the hardware has not been cut.

There's no way that they could show off a game like Uncharted Golden Abyss running with 512MB of RAM and then on 256MB of RAM with no graphical downgrade. That is not possible at all.

I was thinking that it could be that the OS takes up 256MB of RAM out of the 512MB total (thus explaining the "cut") but that's not what 01 Net's report said.

01 Net were wrong, plain and simple. They specifically mentioned a hardware cut in RAM, that clearly did not happen.

If you are going to blindly believe what they say after that and this unbelievably contrived 3DS rumour, then you are dumber than I thought (or you are purely trolling)
I didn't believe them on Vita and they were indeed the first to break the news on the specs on that and I didn't believe them on the Wii U either. Both times I was wrong and they were right on the money. So for now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and none of their claims are crazy. The 2nd analog thing... maybe, but other than that I can see a 3DS redesign and I can see development problems with the Wii U. After all that happens with every system. As far as this goes I'm more interested in the management and software development bit.

[Nintex] said:
If you read the thread you can see nuclear muffin and I had a discussion on that subject just now.

A discussion based on a rumor which is now being taken as fact to back up a site coming up with more rumors.

firelink

Banned
wrowa said:
No. Their track-record is very good, and the site is not known for random rumors. Sure, it might be possible that the developers told them bullshit, but it's highly probable that their sources told them exactly what they reported. They aren't making shit up.

No, not really. No one in his sane mind in the industry is going to publically critize a new(ly announced) console. Especially not the current problems of the hardware. That's suicide -- and that not only because the people who have put their hands on the console had to sign strict NDAs.

Except people have done it before - even a few about the Wii U.

[Nintex] said:
I didn't believe them on Vita and they were indeed the first to break the news on the specs on that and I didn't believe them on the Wii U either. Both times I was wrong and they were right on the money. So for now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and none of their claims are crazy. The 2nd analog thing... maybe, but other than that I can see a 3DS redesign and I can see development problems with the Wii U. After all that happens with every system. As far as this goes I'm more interested in the management and software development bit.

Surfergirl got a good few things right. Doesn't mean that they were a credible source (since they also got plenty of things wrong)

Ever had the thought that it could be someone from Sony posing as a disgruntled Nintendo employee? (given their history of sourcing information from Sony, that is a very distinct possibility)

This latest Wii U rumour is not only non specific and vague, it also directly contradicts what we already know about the hardware from the E3 playable demonstrations in that at least one tablet works perfectly (as in absolutely ZERO perceivable lag) when streaming.

And yet you continue to consider 01 Net a reliable source?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dambrosi said:
So, is this whole NINTENDOIZDOOMD thing going to continue all week, or are we all going to collectively learn never to listen to this shit website ever again?
Registering NINTENDOIZDOOMD.com as we speak.

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Surfergirl got a good few things right. Doesn't mean that they were a credible source (since they also got plenty of things wrong)

Ever had the thought that it could be someone from Sony posing as a disgruntled Nintendo employee? (given their history of sourcing information from Sony, that is a very distinct possibility)

This latest Wii U rumour is not only non specific and vague, it also directly contradicts what we already know about the hardware from the E3 playable demonstrations in that at least one tablet works perfectly (as in absolutely ZERO perceivable lag) when streaming.

Which demos at E3 used a wireless WiiU controller?

[Nintex]

Nuclear Muffin said:
This latest Wii U rumour is not only non specific and vague, it also directly contradicts what we already know about the hardware from the E3 playable demonstrations in that at least one tablet works perfectly when streaming.

Like I said a lot can change in development, I don't know how long they've been sitting on this info either.

I also went back to check the E3 videos and yes the Wii U controllers were wired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59_N8v09B0&feature=related

Might've been to prevent stealing but during the Ubisoft roundtable they were also wired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ESOxPIOF10

m.i.s.

Banned
Dabanton said:
To be honest if the outraged Nintendo fans kept it moving without posting, half these threads wouldn't take off.

No good moaning about "carnivals of stupid" when you're also contributing to it.

This. Was it this bad at the pre-launch phase of Wii, 360, PS3?

If a rumour offends individuals in some way surely the sensible thing to do is simply ignore the thread? (I mean, this is a gaming forum after all isn't it?).

Having said that I don't know which is worse, rumours such as this or Nintendo aficionados having a nervous breakdown. :eek:)

It doesn't sound like Nintendo will announce a controller feature without successfully experimenting unless they are testing ways to bring the controller cost down after the demand of multiple controllers.

wrowa said:
No. Their track-record is very good, and the site is not known for random rumors. Sure, it might be possible that the developers told them bullshit, but it's highly probable that their sources told them exactly what they reported. They aren't making shit up.

No, not really. No one in his sane mind in the industry is going to publically critize a new(ly announced) console. Especially not the current problems of the hardware. That's suicide -- and that not only because the people who have put their hands on the console had to sign strict NDAs.

firelink said:
Except people have done it before - even a few about the Wii U.

Didn't developers also criticize the PS3 during development

Medalion

Banned
The last sentence in the article take into consideration before everybody once again cites Wii U as a failure before arrival

Take it with a grain of salt

but I know this won't stop people from speculating and predicting doom once again... it is a Nintendo related topic after all

LOCK

I can believe this rumor. Since its Nintendo trying out something new. Hopefully they already have the bugs worked out.

But this sort of contradicts E3 correct?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
VGChampion said:
I'll take underpowered and cheap components if it gets me more than one of these controllers per system. It's still my biggest worry about this.
Err, the underpowered components are precisely WHY you won't be getting more than 1 controller. I don't think the hardware is strong enough to drive an external display and more than one controller at the same time.

[Nintex]

M.I.S. said:
This. Was it this bad at the pre-launch phase of Wii, 360, PS3?

If a rumour offends individuals in some way surely the sensible thing to do is simply ignore the thread? (I mean, this is a gaming forum after all isn't it?).

Having said that I don't know which is worse, rumours such as this or Nintendo aficionados having a nervous breakdown. :eek:)
Xbox 360 was a mess before it came out. At E3 2005 just months before shipping it was nothing more but a couple of Macs strapped together. The PS3 had its fair share of issues as well, like removing the second cell and adding in a Nvidia chip for the graphics as well as removing a whole bunch of USB/Video etc. ports(that was fun). Not to mention reports that Sony would drop Blu-Ray because they had production issues with that. As it turned out they did indeed suffered from production issues with the Blu-Ray drives early on.

The Wii was kinda safe, except for Ubisoft coming out to say they expected it to be on par with a mainstream AMD CPU at that time and developed Project katana(Red Steel with that sort of hardware boost in mind). Not to mention that at E3 2006 they used GameCube's for games like Red Steel and others. It was even reported that there no Wii devkits out in the wild early 2006 and developers used GameCube's with Wii Remotes attached instead.

wrowa

Nuclear Muffin said:
No it didn't happen. They've been (partially right) once and only once.
Yeah, right. The leak of the Vita specs didn't happen. And that they got the Wii U controller + devkit hardware right, who cares, right? As soon as they say something unfavorable they have to be dumbasses!

01 is also a publisher of French print-magazines, so making shit up is nothing they gain from. To the contrary, it would harm the reputation of their magazines. But who cares right?

[Nintex]

wrowa said:
Yeah, right. The leak of the Vita specs didn't happen. And that they got the Wii U controller + devkit hardware right, who cares, right? As soon as they say something unfavorable they have to be dumbasses!

01 is also a publisher of French print-magazines, so making shit up is nothing they gain from. To the contrary, it would harm the reputation of their magazines. But who cares right?
I went back to check on the Wii U rumors and Game Informer first ran the story on April 14th saying Nintendo was going to unveil an HD system at E3. 01net.com followed the day after and added that Nintendo would use a tablet like device as a controller along with an IBM CPU and likely a R700 family GPU. They had some other nuggets as well.

IGN followed after that saying that they knew it all and that Project Cafe would launch in 2011 and that Nintendo would show both games and hardware at E3.

Game Informer and IGN then went stupid with speculations about GTAV at E3(not true), the thing being called 'Stream' followed by just 'Nintendo' and more stuff that they knew was 100% legit that didn't turn out to be true. So as far as Wii U speculation goes, 01net.com was the first to get all the details right.

But now that we've mentioned it... Nintendo never showed the wireless technology behind the controllers. All Wii U controllers at E3 were wired and on stage at E3 they didn't do a live demo. The only non-wired controllers were the dummy units that Iwata posed with at E3 and those in the official concept trailer for the system.

Shiggy

Zoramon089 said:
Can we rename this topic "GAF Gets Stupid: Part II"?
For those wondering Part I was E3 post Wii U reveal

Yeah, but renaming this topic only became necessary when you posted in here.

teiresias

So the take-away from this topic is that some people think negative rumors are only true about Sony and/or Microsoft and are never true about Nintendo. Got it.

Top Bottom