• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReyVGM

Nintendo keeps it mum because they like to cause big impacts at E3. If we all knew in advance all the games coming to the Wii U, then there would be little left to be exited about E3.

This happens a lot with Sony and MS consoles, a week before E3 everyone knows everything that's going to be shown.

Nintendo keeps it mum because they like to cause big impacts at E3. If we all knew in advance all the games coming to the Wii U, then there would be little left to be exited about E3.

This happens a lot with Sony and MS consoles, a week before E3 everyone knows everything that's going to be shown.

I'll still never understand why Sony chooses to intentionally spill everything before E3.
Just makes it so pointless.

I'll still never understand why Sony chooses to intentionally spill everything before E3.
Just makes it so pointless.
meh, Sony reveals some things in their pre-e3 things because they are usually things that won't get much attention during the show. It's a pretty good strategy. Especially this year when all the talk will be on wii-u and whatnot, would be smart to reveal some stuff earlier. Of course all companies will keep their big surprises secret, barring any leaks. Problem is no company can stop leaks. I expect many more even for nintendo come may.

Lots of other companies do this in other industry events as well.

royalan

Unannounced games I could understand. But how are they gonna cause a big splash with games that people already know about and have seen being prepped for current gen consoles all this time?

Announcing Wii U versiosn late in the game will make the system look like a last gen port machine. Whereas if devs were allowed to speak about the Wii U version being developed in tandem, and talk about special Wii-U only features, I feel it would get people's attention and establish the Wii U as relevant to the current gen and the next step in gaming.

I dunno...but all this silence, on every front, is making me nervous. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I expect the Wii U to get a fairly significant amount of ports. Resident Evil 6, given Capcom and Nintendo's relationship, is likely to appear on the system, in my opinion. There's probably other games we know about that are planned for the Wii U that are yet to be formally announced.

This is Nintendo we're talking about. For better or worse, they insist on keeping a lid on everything. Despite the system having been formally revealed, we still know little about it and the games coming to it. Nintendo likely has a gag on most publishers in terms of talking about ports in the work.

Unannounced games I could understand. But how are they gonna cause a big splash with games that people already know about and have seen being prepped for current gen consoles all this time?

Announcing Wii U versiosn late in the game will make the system look like a last gen port machine. Whereas if devs were allowed to speak about the Wii U version being developed in tandem, and talk about special Wii-U only features, I feel it would get people's attention and establish the Wii U as relevant to the current gen and the next step in gaming.

Most Wii U games will ports of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games. They probably wont even look better, and controller gimmicks will suck. This is going to be one of Nintendo's biggest hurdles, simply because they're launching a new system while this generation is still kicking.

AzaK

It's clear that Nintendo is keeping everything Wii U under wraps until E3... for some reason. Whatever.

There's two cases here:

1) Games we know/knew are/were coming like DarkSiders, Ghost Recon Online, Killer Freaks, Assassins Creed etc.

2) Games we don't know (GTAV, RE6, Beyond Good and Evil 2 ;) )

The former I see as important to keep under wraps until they are sure they are polished both graphically and gameplay wise before we compare them to the competition. The latter I can see Nintendo keeping lids on in order to blow us away based on name alone. i.e. The Megatons.

But yes, I'd just be happy with a "Yes, development is coming along really nicely on the Wii U"

With any luck the lack of a Wii U logo inclusion in new game trailers of products known to be releasing on the system like Darksiders 2, means the system is getting a rebranding at E3.

Why not say Darksiders 2 will be on Wii U when we all know it will be? Perhaps because the Wii U as a brand will never exist??

If this was to be the case, it definitely could be a good reason for Capcom not to announce RE6 for Wii U as well.

With any luck the lack of a Wii U logo inclusion in new game trailers of products known to be releasing on the system like Darksiders 2, means the system is getting a rebranding at E3.

Why not say Darksiders 2 will be on Wii U when we all know it will be? Perhaps because the Wii U as a brand will never exist??

If this was to be the case, it definitely could be a good reason for Capcom not to announce RE6 for Wii U as well.

most likely, it's just to prevent more people assuming the Wii U is weaker/same as the current gen. Nintendo doesn't want people making assumptions.

that, and they don't want any Wii U news at all unless they are the ones making it.

Penguin

most likely, it's just to prevent more people assuming the Wii U is weaker/same as the current gen. Nintendo doesn't want people making assumptions.

that, and they don't want any Wii U news at all unless they are the ones making it.

This is what I always assumed...

We already saw press saying that Wii U games in some cases looked worse than current gen at last e3.. and that was all 360 footage

I seriously doubt they'll drop the Wii U name.

I agree, however one must speculate that the out of sync, requiring explanation name they have chosen must be up for refinement. Even Wii Tu, at least when pronounced tells you its a successor to the Wii and not some unnecessary revision as many were convinced was the case with 3DS... Surely Nintendo must be thinking in some similar way, but then again like you said they are the crazies.

This in some way explains away a reason to not allow Capcom to announce, but how on Earth is a Darksiders 2 trailer new news? Id say if Nintendo does not change the name, people will assume the console is weaker and or the same.

I think RE6 on the Wii U, especially with the sub-screen - would be fantastic.

Just from playing the demo of RE : Revelations on 3DS, I think having such a sub-screen would've made me enjoy RE4 even more.
Although, subscreen means not being able to play with RE4:Wii Edition's fantastic control scheme. Decisions, Decisions.

Log4Girlz

I think RE6 on the Wii U, especially with the sub-screen - would be fantastic.

Just from playing the demo of RE : Revelations on 3DS, I think having such a sub-screen would've made me enjoy RE4 even more.
Although, subscreen means not being able to play with RE4:Wii Edition's fantastic control scheme. Decisions, Decisions.

I can't think of a game that cannot be improved at least on some level by having a sub-screen.

Juice

RE6 will be on Wii U.

If not, Nintendo already fucked up.

But really, Nintendo and Capcom have always been close. REmake, RE0 and RE4 were GC exclusives (til RE4 went everywhere). They were then ported to Wii, and Capcom put out the two Chronicles games.

It's clear that Nintendo is keeping everything Wii U under wraps until E3... for some reason. Whatever.

Always? Short memory. Their relationship was pretty cold in the late 90s.

Always? Short memory. Their relationship was pretty cold in the late 90s.

Yeah, the N64 pulled a miracle by having RE2, which was, what, a year late? But somehow they crammed all the cutscenes on that cartridge and the PS1 was a 2-disc game.... Go Angel Studios!

But yeah, no Street Fighter III or Alphas except on handhelds, no RE3, lucky to get Mega Man Legends on the 64 (wasn't MML2 already out on PSX by then?).... It was a bit of a rough spot.

Terrell

I agree, however one must speculate that the out of sync, requiring explanation name they have chosen must be up for refinement. Even Wii Tu, at least when pronounced tells you its a successor to the Wii and not some unnecessary revision as many were convinced was the case with 3DS... Surely Nintendo must be thinking in some similar way, but then again like you said they are the crazies.

This in some way explains away a reason to not allow Capcom to announce, but how on Earth is a Darksiders 2 trailer new news? Id say if Nintendo does not change the name, people will assume the console is weaker and or the same.

As mentioned, they did this at E3 and the press shit all over them for it saying they're "just barely" catching up power-wise to current gen machines with WiiU. Doesn't take much to assume they don't want that repeated ad nauseum by the consumer base before the product is even launched.

If a game's footage is in no way representative of the final product (and all the footage we've seen is PS360 footage anyways), why would you want people to assume it is by putting your brand all over it? That'd be the worst thing Nintendo could allow.

Also, sizzle reel for E3 2012 showing better graphics than other versions for epic trollicide.

AzaK

Pretty much just the N64 era. I guess Capcom really hated cartridges. They weren't the only dev who shared that sentiment.

Well the fees were significantly more I think. Sony charged US$10 per disc and Nintendo $15 for the cartridge IIRC.

User Tron

Another reason why they don't want mentioning the Wii U versions is that it might hurt Wii sales. Also might confuse Joe Average. Don't forget how people didn't understand the Wii U is a new console at E3.

Log4Girlz

Well the fees were significantly more I think. Sony charged US$10 per disc and Nintendo $15 for the cartridge IIRC.

Umm, I thought that was Sony's cut, not the fee for the medium. I believe not only did Nintendo have a fee, but each cartridge cost $15 on TOP of their fee.

AzaK

Umm, I thought that was Sony's cut, not the fee for the medium. I believe not only did Nintendo have a fee, but each cartridge cost $15 on TOP of their fee.
As I said, I might not be remembering correctly, but the overall cost to publishers was more so I'm sure that factored into it as well as just the physical medium (Less storage)

Terrell

We'll have to wait until E3 unless someone has some info they want to share, but I also thought it was a bad sign that Metal Gear Rising wasn't coming to Wii U - at least it hasn't been announced. Kojima also said Project Ogre wasn't to Wii U though which is major. He's Konami's primary game producer so this to me means we might not get Castlevania either. That's a huge loss of Japanese third party support and games that are also targeted at western audiences. It doesn't bode well for Wii U if this is the case, but hopefully Nintendo is courting these developers if they are serious.

I said it in another thread, but Project Ogre not coming to Wii U is more a testament to Kojima and his team being completely and utterly incapable of multi-platform releasing despite creating an engine that was supposed to allow for that.

Also, the big news wasn't that Kojima's not making Project Ogre for Wii U. It's that KONAMI ASKED HIM TO.

If KONAMI has enough faith in Wii U to ask for such a thing, considering they had NONE in the Wii (and their lineup attests to that), that gives me all the faith I need in Wii U being able to get 3rd-party support. Cuz remember, it doesn't matter what the developers say when the publishers pay the bills. ;)

Deguello

I said it in another thread, but Project Ogre not coming to Wii U is more a testament to Kojima and his team being completely and utterly incapable of multi-platform releasing despite creating an engine that was supposed to allow for that.

Also, the big news wasn't that Kojima's not making Project Ogre for Wii U. It's that KONAMI ASKED HIM TO.

If KONAMI has enough faith in Wii U to ask for such a thing, considering they had NONE in the Wii (and their lineup attests to that), that gives me all the faith I need in Wii U being able to get 3rd-party support. Cuz remember, it doesn't matter what the developers say when the publishers pay the bills. ;)

Well I hope you're right, because god damn am I tired of 3rd parties cockteasing support and then making up some lame excuses about userbase NOWAIT demographics NOWAIT ecosystems NOWAIT Nintendo hurt our feefees with Mario Kart. It's aggravating to be sure.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I just though up an idea for a wiiu GUI mock-up.

Similar to the original wii GUI I was thinking Nintendo could go with channels again or to make things a bit more stylized and unique they could go with a magazine/newspaper tabloid sort of interface. It'll be separated into pages much like the wii interface but instead of horizontal scrolling they'll scroll vertically from the tv screen to the upad page by page. From there you're given about 3 methods of input:

Gamepad input (upad, cc pro, cc, etc): the traditional form of input where the media you want to select on the os is highlighted and chosen. With this method you can see highlight "channels/tabloid adverts" on both the pad (if you're using it) and the tv screen moving the cursor from one screen to the other seamlessly.

Touch screen input (upad only): You can select options using your fingernail or stylus. You are able to scroll pages if needed.

IR input (wii remote): this one is self explanatory. It functions just the same as the wii GUI did.

Fredrik

If KONAMI has enough faith in Wii U to ask for such a thing, considering they had NONE in the Wii (and their lineup attests to that), that gives me all the faith I need in Wii U being able to get 3rd-party support.
Isn't it a bad sign if the developer says "Nah." when the publisher asks them to make a game for WiiU?
Sure, it's the publisher that pays the bills and the game will most likely arrive anyway, but if we're unlucky we might end up in a situation where big third party games get ported by other studios because the original developer don't want to make the game on WiiU. The original developer makes the 360/PS3/PC version and a B studio makes the WiiU version. That's not good.

Terrell

Isn't it a bad sign if the developer says "Nah." when the publisher asks them to make a game for WiiU?
Sure, it's the publisher that pays the bills and the game will most likely arrive anyway, but if we're unlucky we might end up in a situation where big third party games get ported by other studios because the original developer don't want to make the game on WiiU. The original developer makes the 360/PS3/PC version and a B studio makes the WiiU version. That's not good.

In those instances, I can almost 100% guarantee that passing a franchise to a B studio was the PUBLISHER'S idea and they asked the original developer to move on to the next PS360 title.

Remember, when Wii was first announced, developers were all saying awesome things. That never panned out. And it's because publishers are the ones who issue budgets to titles they release and weren't putting money into Wii projects.

What's happening with KojiPro is.... well, it's KOJIMA, as I said, guy couldn't multi-plat if his life depended on it, we should have expected something like that to happen. But I never would have expected Konami to green-light a WiiU version of a big-budget Kojima game, prior to any release schedule or price announcement or "test games". Not in a million fucking years.

Fredrik

In those instances, I can almost 100% guarantee that passing a franchise to a B studio was the PUBLISHER'S idea and they asked the original developer to move on to the next PS360 title.

Remember, when Wii was first announced, developers were all saying awesome things. That never panned out. And it's because publishers are the ones who issue budgets to titles they release and weren't putting money into Wii projects.

What's happening with KojiPro is.... well, it's KOJIMA, as I said, guy couldn't multi-plat if his life depended on it, we should have expected something like that to happen. But I never would have expected Konami to green-light a WiiU version of a big-budget Kojima game, prior to any release schedule or price announcement or "test games". Not in a million fucking years.
You're probably right on the Kojima thing, I haven't heard much about it really. But the more I think about it, the more worried I get, it's not certain that being different is always a good thing when it comes to game development. Look at the PS3, lot of third party games got ported by alternative studios at first since the development procedure wasn't the same as on 360 and PC. WiiU might get the same treatment unless it's incredibly easy to work with.

AzaK

You're probably right on the Kojima thing, I haven't heard much about it really. But the more I think about it, the more worried I get, it's not certain that being different is always a good thing when it comes to game development. Look at the PS3, lot of third party games got ported by alternative studios at first since the development procedure wasn't the same as on 360 and PC. WiiU might get the same treatment unless it's incredibly easy to work with.
We've heard inklings about it being easy to work with, and it definitely won't be as different to the 360 that the PS3 and the Wii were. Publishers will go where money is, plain and simple, so the only thing that I think could make Wii U fail in regard to third parties is if Nintendo markets almost exclusively to the blue ocean like they did with Wii.

If they market the Wii U to core gamers and have some good games lined up in the launch window, then gamers will buy in early. This will feed back on itself and encourage other publishers to release games. Which will get more units out there.

So all in all I think the ball is in Nintendo's court. If Nintendo get 10 million units into gamer's hands in the first year do you really think Konami or anyone will go "Naaa, I have too much money already"

Terrell

Vigil seems to think so, taking 5 weeks to get Darksiders demo-ready for E3 if Nintendo allowed it to happen (which they did not) and saying it didn't offer the hurdles they experienced with the other consoles, primarily the PS3.
And Tecmo already had Ninja Gaiden 3 at 30% complete on the WiiU version at E3. That is just what I remember off the top of my head, but it seems the only learning curve is what to do with the pad, from the look of it.

FreeMufasa

The WiiU could have one hell of a launch line-up.

Pikmin 3
Nintendo game 2
Nintendo game 3
Killer Freaks
Resident Evil 6
Darksiders 2
Arkham City
Dead or Alive 5
Ninja Gaiden 3
Assassinds Creed 3
New Call of Duty
Ghost Recon
Sports games
+ Whatever else

I think the 3rd party games that have already released by the time WiiU launches will be there at launch. Anyone else think they might cannibalize each others sales?

Terrell

Pikmin 3
Nintendo game 2
Nintendo game 3
Killer Freaks
Resident Evil 6
Darksiders 2
Arkham City
Dead or Alive 5
Ninja Gaiden 3
Assassinds Creed 3
New Call of Duty
Ghost Recon
Sports games
+ Whatever else

I think the 3rd party games that have already released by the time WiiU launches will be there at launch. Anyone else think they might cannibalize each others sales?

A list like that makes me think Nintendo will launch in September and stagger the release schedule in conjunction with developers for a steady stream of games all the way to Christmas.

Wii Ultimate

They need the Wii name - Families LOVE Wii, but core fans need a tough name. Ultimate would work fine here.

Imagine the silly Wii logo video being played all cute and cuddly, U pops up, and then turns into Ultimate as the rest of the work slides out of the side of the U sitting beside it.

Would work.

Or Wii Unlimited - trying to make a connection with online 'unlimited' downloads or something.

AzaK

A list like that makes me think Nintendo will launch in September and stagger the release schedule in conjunction with developers for a steady stream of games all the way to Christmas.
While im not sure of a date, I agree regarding a steady release schedule. So many great games that are coming or last years ones that could be released in packs, that they'd need to stagger.

If Wii U multiplattform games do look significantly better than their PS360 counterparts, isn't there a risk that developers will simply use Wii U footage for all trailers etc, effectivly hiding the graphical advantage for the big masses?

Fredrik

Pikmin 3
Nintendo game 2
Nintendo game 3
Killer Freaks
Resident Evil 6
Darksiders 2
Arkham City
Dead or Alive 5
Ninja Gaiden 3
Assassinds Creed 3
New Call of Duty
Ghost Recon
Sports games
+ Whatever else

Yup a launch line-up like that would be awesome! I'm not expecting it to be that good though, it'll only end in dissapointment. I just wish Darksiders 2 will make it to the launch. That'll be my first game. If DOA5 is there I'll pick up that one too, and maybe Ninja Gaiden 3, and Pikmin 3.... Aaaaargh my wallet!!! :S

CoD with enhanced gameplay elements, better graphics and the Upad for greater control and team play . . . . guaranteed to pick up some hardcore crowd if they get this out in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom