• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it involves RPG elements at all, but the Pokemon Battle Simulator is likely now a Wii U game.

I'm fucking dying for this. Especially as GS may NOT make it, considering their "biggest" game since DQS (which they only did the planning for and 8ing did the actual development, so make that PBR) is that Denpan RPG for the eShop, yeah, a Wii U retail Pokemon Battle Sim? I doubt it's from them.

Stadium team or bust, I'd love to get PokePark 2, but it's missing a fucking crucial thing; Nunchuk support. :/ 3D adventure with a D-Pad? *shoots self*

I do remember reading on some site that at the last GDC actually, had a Nintendo rep mention an XD-like game set in the 5th gen, the news just seemingly fizzled out.

I want some real info, maybe from a leak of some resume (less likely as this is mostly done in western regions, huh). :(

Soroc

Also just thinking out loud here,

Do you think Nintendo will use E3 as a good jumping off point for the redesign 3DS with dual circle pads to help combat what I assume to be a strong Vita pressence at E3?

Obviously majority of show will focus on Wii U but I think it would be a good time and bullet point for Nintendo to bring up/help combat vita and showcase for the 3DS and provides more platform synergy between itself and the Wii U?

Also just thinking out loud here,

Do you think Nintendo will use E3 as a good jumping off point for the redesign 3DS with dual circle pads to help combat what I assume to be a strong Vita pressence at E3?

Obviously majority of show will focus on Wii U but I think it would be a good time and bullet point for Nintendo to bring up/help combat vita and showcase for the 3DS and provides more platform synergy between itself and the Wii U?

No.
They won't announce a 3DS redesign at E3. Nor do they really have to worry about the Vita.

I'm fucking dying for this. Especially as GS may NOT make it, considering their "biggest" game since DQS (which they only did the planning for and 8ing did the actual development, so make that PBR) is that Denpan RPG for the eShop, yeah, a Wii U retail Pokemon Battle Sim? I doubt it's from them.

They also made Pokemon Typing DS last year.
My understanding is that it's not made by them, anyway

Stadium team or bust, I'd love to get PokePark 2, but it's missing a fucking crucial thing; Nunchuk support. :/ 3D adventure with a D-Pad? *shoots self*

Stadium 1+2 were made by HAL, which has spent most of the last decade on handhelds and trying to make a 3D Kirby game.

I do remember reading on some site that at the last GDC actually, had a Nintendo rep mention an XD-like game set in the 5th gen, the news just seemingly fizzled out.

I want some real info, maybe from a leak of some resume (less likely as this is mostly done in western regions, huh). :(

I've been hearing about this game on and off for about a year now. With a 3rd counterpart to BW likely announced in April, the sim probably won't get announced until later, although a release close to "Grey" (September in Japan) could be possible.

I doubt Nintendo will show a redesign this year, or at E3. I think they keep it for when the 3DS sales will slow down, or keep it for Pokemon.
But I hope that Nintendo will "fight" Vita with new games for 3DS at E3. By fight, I mean in term of game contents, not console war, because I'm a bit affraid that Nintendo will focus 100% on WiiU and let the 3DS alone, or showing already known games.

So is anyone here actually expecting Nintendo to finally "get it" this time? And by get it I mean:
--competitively powerful hardware
--No alienating formats
-- a competent online structure and online store
--third party support

and all of the above at the same time. I dunno. It seems like nintendo hasn't "gotten" it since the SNES days. I think some of this WiiU stuff sounds too good to be true. Hate to say it but some times I feel like there is a caveat to nintendo's home consoles.

Soroc

I don't know I like the idea of platform synergy b/w Wii U and 3DS. If synergy is there who knows, the 3ds can even act as a near full fledged cheaper (if you already own one) subscreen.

I doubt Nintendo will show a redesign this year, or at E3. I think they keep it for when the 3DS sales will slow down, or keep it for Pokemon.
But I hope that Nintendo will "fight" Vita with new games for 3DS at E3. By fight, I mean in term of game contents, not console war, because I'm a bit affraid that Nintendo will focus 100% on WiiU and let the 3DS alone, or showing already known games.

No way will they not announce 3DS games at E3.
I mean, at the very least, we've got a new Mario, and we'll probably get Pokemon and maybe other obscure/new franchises.

So is anyone here actually expecting Nintendo to finally "get it" this time? And by get it I mean:
--No alienating formats
--third party support

and all of the above at the same time. I dunno. It seems like nintendo hasn't "gotten" it since the SNES days. I think some of this WiiU stuff sounds too good to be true. Hate to say it but some times I feel like there is a caveat to nintendo's home consoles.

It's not so much that Nintendo hasn't "gotten it" as much as, what it is changes pretty much constantly.
They definitely "got it" with the Wii, and even with the GameCube to an extent.

They also made Pokemon Typing DS last year.
My understanding is that it's not made by them, anyway

Stadium 1+2 were made by HAL, which has spent most of the last decade on handhelds and trying to make a 3D Kirby game.

I've been hearing about this game on and off for about a year now. With a 3rd counterpart to BW likely announced in April, the sim probably won't get announced until later, although a release close to "Grey" (September in Japan) could be possible.

Technically, Stadium 1 & 2 were by EAD, hell the director is now the head of one of the EAD Tokyo teams. HAL did help out, but I don't think it was a huge role, Creatures is responsible for all the models and animations IIRC, this goes for the Genius Sonority games as well.

What specifics of this game did you hear? Like a specific dev, or did you just say there everything you heard?

3DS will have whatever of Luigi's Mansion, Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing, Friend Collection, and Paper Mario hasn't been released as well as (maybe) 2D Mario and LoZ to talk about, plus any un-announced, unknown titles. That's plenty of stuff to talk about in a conference that should be focused on the soon-to-be-released console.

I mean, at the very least, we've got a new Mario, and we'll probably get Pokemon and maybe other obscure/new franchises.

Pokemon, especially retail games, hardly ever make it to e3.

Technically, Stadium 1 & 2 were by EAD, hell the director is now the head of one of the EAD Tokyo teams. HAL did help out, but I don't think it was a huge role, Creatures is responsible for all the models and animations IIRC, this goes for the Genius Sonority games as well.

What specifics of this game did you hear? Like a specific dev, or did you just say there everything you heard?

I'm not aware on the specifics between the HAL/EAD workload for the first 2 (technically, 3) titles.

Aye, Creatures does all the models. The 3Dex and Pokepark to share the same models for the new Pokemon.

What I know (I've said it on these boards before) is that the Sim was almost complete for Wii about this time last year, someone up high wasn't happy with it being for Wii and not Wii U. The announcement was to go ahead anyway, but never happened. It's a bit of a jump, but at this point, I am assuming that it's for Wii U, possibly for at/around launch/to co-inside with Grey's release in Japan.

RedSwirl

--No alienating formats
--third party support

Their only real problem has always been third party support. And we already know they're using a proprietary format again this time around (that will be the same size as a Blu-Ray).

Nintendo needs to go 95% WiiU and 5% 3DS. The 3DS situation appears to be largely remedied and developers are catching on. Software is coming. A new console is a huge venture and after confusing a lot of people nintendo needs to come out swinging with games, online, games, and more games. Microsoft completely changed the Xbox brand with their 1 year headstart and Nintendo would do well to seize the day.

AntMurda

Stadium 1+3 and Pokemon Box were all developed at EAD according to the credits at KR/MG.

Interestingly, Kyoto Report also showed that SPD re-programs all the GameFreak Pokemon games for international release. So there is actual Pokemon stuff done inside-inside Nintendo.

Creatures is responsible for all the models and animations IIRC, this goes for the Genius Sonority games as well.

No EAD did the animation and lead modeling as well. But alot of the modelers were also contracted. Some could be from gamefreak, hal, random devs or indies. I mean its a lot of Pokemon to model in 3D. you dont want to use your best guys on it.

It's not so much that Nintendo hasn't "gotten it" as much as, what it is changes pretty much constantly.
They definitely "got it" with the Wii, and even with the GameCube to an extent.

No. I'd argue that they definitely didn't get it with the Wii. Considering the tons of casuals that the Wii brought on I know nintendo is happy but what about the consumers that they potential lost though. They are always missing one or two things that keep them from being a complete success and by that I mean please everybody ala the PS2

Their only real problem has always been third party support. And we already know they're using a proprietary format again this time around (that will be the same size as a Blu-Ray).

I guess wonky formats and lack of online could be under the third party umbrella. Sure. But do we really expect a huge turn around. I'd love to be able to solely game on one system.

I guess wonky formats and lack of online could be under the third party umbrella. Sure. But do we really expect a huge turn around. I'd love to be able to solely game on one system.

Well, the only reason third parties wouldn't support the Wii U is pure ignorance.
Which hopefully Nintendo can fix with money.

HylianTom

Banned
--No alienating formats
--third party support

To points 1, 2, and 3, I'm pretty confident. But to your third party question: I honestly think that they're afraid/lazy as far as competing with Nintendo's titles on the console, and instead of being honest about this, they're going to try to bullshit us with convenient excuses for why Title A isn't on the console, and then Title B, and then C, etc etc.

Go back and read some old articles from 2006-2007, or better yet, listen to some Nintendo-centric podcasts from the era, and you'll see over time how the excuses trickle in bit by bit. Oh sure.. on the surface, they're arguable and they make some sense, but upon further examination, you can pick them apart pretty easily. If third parties had to balls to just come out and say, "no, we don't want to compete" or "another console maker is greasing our palms" or even just "we don't like Nintendo," I'd have more respect for them. But most of them are chickenshits and will dance around using flowery, vague, even complementary language toward Nintendo.. with no commitment where the rubber would meet the road (i.e., actual games).

(But please note.. I'm probably one of your more jaded NintendoGAFfers, so take that into consideration when reading my opinions. Most folks around here probably think I'm a mean, old fanman crackpot.)

I think that this time, Nintendo will focus more on games for Wii U. Last year's E3 was more about showing the hardware capabilities (Graphics, but also gameplay). This time, Nintendo will have to show real games, that uses those capabilities.

I'd be down if they could do a longer presentation with time spent equally between em. There may be some overlap actually if the 3DS is able to connect to it.

Lausebub

Banned
Which games do you expect to be seen at the press conference regarding the Wii U? I'm not talking about 1st party games only here!

My guess:

Pikmin 3 (launch)
Retro's next project (just a trailer)
3D Mario (2013)
Beyond Good & Evil 2 (Let me dream!)
ACIII (They'll have an exclusive gameplay demo of III)
Casual game by Nintendo
Miyamoto's new project
and a video that shows tons of generic fps so they can say that they appeal to "hardcore" gamers.
Oh and Half Life 3 as a one more thing...yeah, not gonna happen. :/

Yeah, I was thinking about this myself. The dying words of that engineer at Nintendo who helped design the 3DS were "This time there is no need for a revision. It's all tightly packed." Ok, so they weren't his dying words, but you get the point. No 3DS Lite. If anything, we will see a 3DS XL, but not til next year.

Dragon Quest
Mon Hun

Maybe not traditional throw all the money we can at you, but rather we will get these series the exposure they need in the west.

You listed eastern titles though. I'm talking about Bioshock, Half Life, GTA V, and all the other major third party titles that will be released from now until the end of the generation. I want all of the specific games I listed btw.

That or the system wasn't announced when the game was announced. That's a legitimate reason as we all know. :D

Edit:
And of course they can only work on titles that make use of Wii U's full potential. That's not ignorance. Technically.

He meant ignorance in the sense that developers feel that Nintendo is putting a gun to their heads to support ever facet of the controller. Without all the bells and whistles it is very much a traditional controller. Devs seem to be forgetting that fact for some crazy reason. Even if the WiiU versions don't sell the best why limit your user base? And we all now what throwing in a nintendo cameo can do for a third party game (see: Soul Calibur 2 and NBA Street Vol. 3)

Truth101

Banned
You listed eastern titles though. I'm talking about Bioshock, Half Life, GTA V, and all the other major third party titles that will be released from now until the end of the generation. I want all of the specific games I listed btw.

They don't need to Money Hat the titles, but rather exclusive content. Also shouldering advertising would allow the Wii U to be the premiere console for the games.

guek

Banned
#1 moneyhat I'd want is timed GTAV exclusivity. Not for nintendo's benefit. Not because I'm a huge GTA fan. I want it for other selfish reasons. I want it for the lulz.

edit: I hope this isn't considered port begging. I just think it'd be funny as hell :p

He meant ignorance in the sense that developers feel that Nintendo is putting a gun to their heads to support ever facet of the controller. Without all the bells and whistles it is very much a traditional controller. Devs seem to be forgetting that fact for some crazy reason. Even if the WiiU versions don't sell the best why limit your user base? And we all now what throwing in a nintendo cameo can do for a third party game (see: Soul Calibur 2 and NBA Street Vol. 3)
For the first year, I can see 3rd parties being apprehensive because even if Wii U does explode out of the gates, the userbase will still be a mere fraction of the current consoles. However, the early months in a system's life is exactly the time when it's market must be nurtured like a child. If there are no big Western mature titles from the start, it's unlikely that category will ever flourish on Wii U. Luckily, I believe EA and Ubisoft realize this, and want to build an audience on the system. Take Two will be harder, I think, but GTA isn't the trophy it once was. CoD is king atm, and I think there will be another changing of the guard soon. Go ahead and crucify me, but both series have peaked already.

For the first year, I can see 3rd parties being apprehensive because even if Wii You does explode out of the gates, the userbase will still be a mere fraction of the current consoles. However, the early months in a system's life is exactly the time when it's market must be nurtured like a child. If there are no big Western mature titles from the start, it's unlikely that category will ever flourish on WiiU. Luckily, I believe EA and Ubisoft realize this, and want to build an audience on the system. Take Two will be harder, I think, but GTA isn't the trophy it once was. CoD is king atm, and I think there will be another changing of the guard soon. Go ahead and crucify me, but both series have peaked already.

Huh? Are you serious?

snesfreak

Banned
#1 moneyhat I'd want is timed GTAV exclusivity. Not for nintendo's benefit. Not because I'm a huge GTA fan. I want it for other selfish reasons. I want it for the lulz.

edit: I hope this isn't considered port begging. I just think it'd be funny as hell :p
Lulz indeed.
I can imagine some of the idiotic crap that would get spewed.
"Why would I buy the kiddy version with no online?"
"GTA on Nintendo? Did they put Pokemon in it or something?"
etc etc.

clemenx

Banned
Does anyone expect CoD to be burned like Guitar Hero was? I'm afraid at the pace Activision is relasing them, I totally expect it to happen in the next gen, though not as fast.

I love CoD, for the record.

Does anyone expect CoD to be burned like Guitar Hero was? I'm afraid at the pace Activision is relasing them, I totally expect it to happen in the next gen, though not as fast.

I love CoD, for the record.

YoY trend is down, though not by much.
But yes, people will get tired of it, and it won't be a slow trend downward.
It'll be a "Hey, let's all try something else."

For the first year, I can see 3rd parties being apprehensive because even if Wii You does explode out of the gates, the userbase will still be a mere fraction of the current consoles.

Wouldn't that be like... making DS games when 3DS is the new hotness? Not that I would put that past some publishers.

Huh? Are you serious?
It will still sell like gangbusters, I am sure. However, I believe Nintendo wanted it more as representation than revenue. It was a way of saying, "See? Our consoles aren't just for kids." They don't need GTA to massively profit. And now, I think having the latest Call of Duty in some exclusive/upgraded fashion serves this same purpose. GTA was the trend setter last gen. Maybe GTAV will blow everyone's socks off and steal the crown since it's a CoD"off year" (i.e. Treyarch year) but I have limited expectations if only because of hardware limitations.

clemenx

Banned
YoY trend is down, though not by much.
But yes, people will get tired of it, and it won't be a slow trend downward.
It'll be a "Hey, let's all try something else."

I agree, I think that with every new entry there will be a competitor that will get it more "right" every time. It's not like Guitar Hero that created and killed its own genre. CoD can be replaced if a competitor does things right.

Next years COD trend will be more indicative of whether the series on a whole is on a decline because for one, it'll be another year of results rather than basing it off one year, and 2, MW3 kinda sucks lol.

That's why I'm a big proponent of a summer launch.
I think it would be smart of Nintendo to do this, but for some reason all this talk about before the holidays is making me thing Oct/Nov. Which IMO is a mistake.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think it would be smart of Nintendo to do this, but for some reason all this talk about before the holidays is making me thing Oct/Nov. Which IMO is a mistake.

If Nintendo is really holding off on unveiling the software until E3, a summer launch will not happen.

MW3 along with the recent CoDs are moreorless retail DLC.
perhaps but black ops >>>>>>>> infinity wards last 2 efforts, so I'll still give treyarch a chance, but if I have the same feeling with their game as I did while playing MW3, I think I'm gonna drop the series for good. I felt weird, I was playing it, played a lot too, didn't like it so much, wasn't ENJOYING it a whole lot, just playing it because there wasn't much else and it was reasonably satisfying.

I'm sure there's others in my shoes as well, considering dropping it I mean. Last chance coming up! I trust treyarch can make me like it again, but I'm not banking on it.

If Nintendo is really holding off on unveiling the software until E3, a summer launch will not happen.
why not? And Summer could mean late late july/mid august. Doesn't have to mean a few weeks after E3. If they already have the software ready for release it's possible. The only reason I doubt a summer release is games not being ready yet...but they could announce games that are already prepared.

Is it wrong that the Vita is hyping me up even more for the Wii U?
not wrong at all, it's closer, that's why!

E3 is the beginning of June. They could theoretically launch in the late summer/early fall AUG-SEP range. They Hype would be much higher stronger coming from e3 instead of fading a bit for a fall launch, and more importantly, it would let them show much more stable/better looking games at E3 as well. That said, i only feel a 20% probablilty of that.

AntMurda

Looks like this IGN article has everything covered.

Pretty much echoes what we've been saying for a while.

I think it is ridiculous that they echo the nonsensical idea that "bundling Mii chase and Battle Mii" in the Wii U would be like Wii Sports. No. No it would not be. It would probably be like AR Games.

But the article presents nothing new. "Blah blah OMG Retro Studios should be doing something. Drool. Oh and Miyamoto is making Pikmin. Drawing it. Programming it. Scoring the soundtrack. The Shigster is the man. We need Mario. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom