• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wii was making $8 per console in operating profit for Nintendo as of 2008, says Forbes. Brings the loss leader strategy into perspective.

It's $6, according to the article, but that's not important.

What is important is that the figure is quoted from David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Securities, and his source is not given. The article also states that the Wii sells for $260. I am skeptical of the figure. Granted, I don't actually have anything amounting to counterevidence. I only have the suspicion that the profit was higher than this based on the grumblings that it was profitable in 2006 and that it had the same price in 2008, and components should have been cheaper by then.

[Nintex]

It's $6, according to the article, but that's not important.

What is important is that the figure is quoted from David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Securities, and his source is not given. The article also states that the Wii sells for $260. I am skeptical of the figure. Granted, I don't actually have anything amounting to counterevidence. I only have the suspicion that the profit was higher than this based on the grumblings that it was profitable in 2006 and that it had the same price in 2008, and components should have been cheaper by then.

You only need to look at the billions Nintendo earned during those years to see they got a much bigger margin.

Effect

Is there particular reason why Nintendo seems to be against putting a ethernet port on the Wii U and even the Wii? Could they be saving a significant amount by not including one?

Is there particular reason why Nintendo seems to be against putting a ethernet port on the Wii U and even the Wii? Could they be saving a significant amount by not including one?
they probably haven't wikipedia'd ethernet port yet. They just learned what the internet was recently. Baby steps.

[Nintex]

It's like phones in Africa, they skipped the landlines and went straight to cell phones. Nintendo skipped ethernet and jumped right on WiFi.

rpmurphy

[Nintex];34430900 said:
It's like phones in Africa, they skipped the landlines and went straight to cell phones. Nintendo skipped ethernet and jumped right on WiFi.

Nintendo driving technology forward!

I'm going to say the floor model at E3 didn't have any internet ability at all, because it would be odd that they would have went for a more expensive wireless unit than a cheep ethernet port, especially since they didn't show off anything that would need it.

royalan

Great Post

I agree with everything you say, although I'm still not sure how comfortable I'd be with a Wii U priced below 300. I mean, PS360 are still in that range, although for reasons Nintendo probably won't have to worry about. Nintendo doesn't want to go too cheap here. With the HD twins hitting their stride pricing similarly to them will only reinforce the idea that the Wii U is just a Wii with a minor upgrade.

I dunno, my gut feeling tells me Nintendo will go for around $339 - $350, selling at cost. At that price it'll hardly break the bank, and It'll provide a nice, noticeable spec-bump over the current HD consoles and hopefully keep it in a good position when MS and Sony launch their next machines.

Although it is nice that Nintendo is moving to hardware that 3rd parties will easily be able to, it's walking a fine line between PS2 and Dreamcast outcomes, I fear...

relaxor

what?
For the last 3 generations Nintendo fans (myself included) have been excited to hear that 3rd party will be there but watch as the support trickles away.

WiiU is in an okay position for 3rd party support, better than last, but I'm definitely taking a skeptical stance for the time being.

Sadist

Is this news?

Nintendo told us at CES that 3rd party developers have already received final devkits, so we would imagine that EA and other companies have a better idea about the support of multiple Wii U controllers than we do.

Source

I agree with everything you say, although I'm still not sure how comfortable I'd be with a Wii U priced below 300. I mean, PS360 are still in that range, although for reasons Nintendo probably won't have to worry about. Nintendo doesn't want to go too cheap here. With the HD twins hitting their stride pricing similarly to them will only reinforce the idea that the Wii U is just a Wii with a minor upgrade.

The weird thing is that I'm kind of a Nintendo fan, but my bias here is actually caused by the fact that I'm a cheapskate who wants everything for free. $350 systems would mean that I enter the generation three or four years later. :/

PS3 looks interesting as a future purchase, but I wish they'd put backwards compatibility in again.

royalan

The weird thing is that I'm kind of a Nintendo fan, but my bias here is actually caused by the fact that I'm a cheapskate who wants everything for free. $350 systems would mean that I enter the generation three or four years later. :/

Funny thing is this is exactly why I want the Wii U to cost a little more at launch. It's really important to me this upcoming gen that Nintendo works to maintain long-term viability.

Despite my pessimism, I have been a Nintendo gamer since playing with my dad's NES while in diapers. I have entered every gen through Nintendo's gate. I've always gotten Nintendo consoles first and waited for mid-gen price slashes before picking up other hardware.

I was a Wii-only gamer for the first three years of this gen. Things started getting a bit scarce for me as far as AAA titles that interested me by year two so, when the 360 finally came down in price, I picked one up.

And I was completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of great games that the 360 already had in its catalog (with a flood of great games still to come), and this was before I checked out Live.

In short, as a gamer I felt like a fool for sticking with the Wii for so long. An absolute fool.

If there is one thing I'm taking away from this gen, it's that no one developer's games is enough for me to go in on a console at launch price. My money is precious, and value is important. And for me, there was more value in a more expensive 360 than in a budget-priced Wii. And the 360 maintains its value with the sheer amount of support the platform is still receiving, while the Wii is pretty much dead.

If Nintendo can't convince me this E3 that they have a definite plan to sustain long-term viability and value for my dollar, this will probably be the first gen I don't buy a Nintendo console at launch. And that thought makes me sad. :(

Luckily, though, contemporary hardware will at least insure that 3rd party support is better. So that's something.

"Final" devkits are kind of a misnomer when talking about Nintendo.

They tend to leave some things locked and open them later with firmware updates.

So if final dev kits are out does that point toward a possible summer release?
From I what I understand final 360 dev kits were only released a few months before the 360 launch but I'm sure Nintendo works differently than Microsoft.

Is this true for consoles before the 3DS as well?

Also: I wish lherre would state his opinion on the devkit :)

Not for hardware, no.
For the N64, they locked some developers out of all of the systems resources (no idea why) and for the Wii they added additional software features.

Roo

From I what I understand final 360 dev kits were only released a few months before the 360 launch but I'm sure Nintendo works differently than Microsoft.

Wii launched 6 months after the final dev kits were out if I'm not mistaken.
if they're doing the same, we're looking for a release on July, just a month after E3, so there just little to no time to create enough hype.
I'm sticking with a September launch tho... not too early not too late

Boerseun

Banned
Funny thing is this is exactly why I want the Wii U to cost a little more at launch. It's really important to me this upcoming gen that Nintendo works to maintain long-term viability.

Despite my pessimism, I have been a Nintendo gamer since playing with my dad's NES while in diapers. I have entered every gen through Nintendo's gate. I've always gotten Nintendo consoles first and waited for mid-gen price slashes before picking up other hardware.

I was a Wii-only gamer for the first three years of this gen. Things started getting a bit scarce for me as far as AAA titles that interested me by year two so, when the 360 finally came down in price, I picked one up.

And I was completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of great games that the 360 already had in its catalog (with a flood of great games still to come), and this was before I checked out Live.

In short, as a gamer I felt like a fool for sticking with the Wii for so long. An absolute fool.

If there is one thing I'm taking away from this gen, it's that no one developer's games is enough for me to go in on a console at launch price. My money is precious, and value is important. And for me, there was more value in a more expensive 360 than in a budget-priced Wii. And the 360 maintains its value with the sheer amount of support the platform is still receiving, while the Wii is pretty much dead.

If Nintendo can't convince me this E3 that they have a definite plan to sustain long-term viability and value for my dollar, this will probably be the first gen I don't buy a Nintendo console at launch. And that thought makes me sad. :(

Luckily, though, contemporary hardware will at least insure that 3rd party support is better. So that's something.

I was just the other way around.

I was a 360 gamer first. But it came to a point where I was just bored out of my mind with a catalog overflowing with "me too" aesthetics and too similar gameplay situations. It got so bad that I started losing faith in the ability of video games to entertain and provide the escapism I sought.

I then bought a Wii and the platform proved to be an absolute lifesaver! It reintroduced me to the concept of "games as fun" and I'll be damned if I'm not jumping in Day One next gen by buying a Wii U at PAL launch.

guek

Banned

I get the feeling lhere can't say squat due to information lockdowns. Also, he doesn't work directly with the dev kit iirc.

I've never found the idea of needing to buy multiple systems for a full experience to be all that repulsive, myself.

If I owned any one system this past generation, I probably would have been envious at the experience of the others.

What was locked and then unlocked on the 3DS?

You're going to laugh.

The 3D.

EVH

The Nintendo Connection sounds cool, but don't think that Nintendo is going to change the online system now, when they just updated the friend list in 3DS.

I mean, probably is just a rebranding, so they can move on from Nintendo Wifi Connection and create some kind of "unified" logo for the 3DS and WiiU systems.

Hope we get some info at GDC.

Bear

[Nintex];34430815 said:
You only need to look at the billions Nintendo earned during those years to see they got a much bigger margin.

Not necessarily, the vast majority of the profit was from software (like it is with every console). Hardware margins are always pretty slim. I'll admit $6 sounds a bit too small, especially for 2008, but I wouldn't expect the actual figure to be very large. Console hardware is never sold for a self-sustaining profit since they rely almost entirely on software to make money.

if they're doing the same, we're looking for a release on July, just a month after E3, so there just little to no time to create enough hype.

Yeah That's what I'm thinking too. They probably want to hype the system enough as well as allow developers enough time to have games ready for launch to avoid the 3DS situation.

wsippel

Banned
No, they freed up part of the second core for developers because they were able to make the OS run better, or something.
Nah, it's true. Supposedly. They activated 3D (and seemingly doubled the GPU speed at the same time). They didn't unlock the second core until recently.

Fredrik

Nah, it's true. Supposedly. They activated 3D (and seemingly doubled the GPU speed at the same time). They didn't unlock the second core until recently.
lol that's nuts
Is that the reason why RE:R looks so good compared to just about everything else?

I hope they launch in the summer. I wont have much time for gaming in the fall :-(
september to november is like the gift and the curse. Lots of great games always come out in that time frame, but it's also the time classes begin/midterms/almost finals.

Fredrik

Yeah That's what I'm thinking too. They probably want to hype the system enough as well as allow developers enough time to have games ready for launch to avoid the 3DS situation.
Same here, it would be very bold and cool and all that with a surprise launch right after E3, but it would also be stupid. I think they'll use E3 to start the hype train and then launch the system 3 months later.

wsippel

Banned
Wow, if true. Won't this have implications for the already marginal battery life?
Probably not. The core was always active, but it was only doing operating system and background stuff. Nintendo either realized that they'll never need all the power for the OS or optimized the OS to free some resources, so that power is now available to game developers.

The July launch bandwagon has been rolling since the Cafe leak. I'm sticking with it till Nintendo announces otherwise

I get the feeling lhere can't say squat due to information lockdowns. Also, he doesn't work directly with the dev kit iirc.

It's also possible he may not have his yet. And guek, that was someone else you are thinking of.

You don't have to create much launch hype because the people like us who know about it are the ones most likely buying it at that time. That would give them time like with Wii for the word of mouth to get out and build up the hype going into the holiday... IMO of course.

July would be damn delightful if you ask me. I hate the summer slump, always looking for something to waste time on during the quiet times and there's never anything good.

You don't have to create much launch hype because the people like us who know about it are the ones most likely buying it at that time. That would give them time like with Wii for the word of mouth to get out and build up the hype going into the holiday... IMO of course.
wordd, the holiday is when the marketing needs to hit its stride.

THE:MILKMAN

Probably not. The core was always active, but it was only doing operating system and background stuff. Nintendo either realized that they'll never need all the power for the OS or optimized the OS to free some resources, so that power is now available to game developers.

Thanks! It was just worrying to hear of doubling GPU speeds!

The July launch bandwagon has been rolling since the Cafe leak. I'm sticking with it till Nintendo announces otherwise

If there isn't an E3-style Wii U hardware/software blowout around GDC (there won't be), that's completely impossible. Retailers need considerably more advance notice than one month.

If there isn't an E3-style Wii U hardware/software blowout around GDC (there won't be), that's completely impossible. Retailers need considerably more advance notice than one month.

Uh who says they have to have a "blowout" at GDC? They can tell retailers well ahead of time without doing something like that.

It's worked for the Saturn!

Sega announced a September launch and then announced at E3 they were moving it to May or whenever it was. Drawing a blank right now. Wouldn't be the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom