• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deguello

I imagine a good question for arkham would be if he would trust a person who changes his story as often as he does.

I don't really care what industry connections he has, if any. He sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, which means his ability to add to this speculation thread is limited, to put it mildly.

Postman

Banned
I imagine a good question for arkham would be if he would trust a person who changes his story as often as he does.

I don't really care what industry connections he has, if any. He sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, which means his ability to add to this speculation thread is limited, to put it mildly.

Well for one he didn't even spell his name as Arkham. :p

Second.. Unity probably isn't the most optimized middleware for consoles.

guek

Banned
I'm not saying anyone is lying. Maybe their software takes advantage of what the wiiu brings to the table. Our games do not. The only thing that I will say is untrue are the rumors of it being 5x the Xbox 360. It's much closer to 1x if anything. I think a lot of you guys on here oversanalyze things. Just because it isn't as powerful doesn't mean the games look bad... More that they won't look much better than what is currently out on 360/ps3. Ok I'll let you get back to flaming me for being nice and sharing some info.

But you didn't share squat. You gave vague, negative statements, and what little you did say about the machine's technical innards requires elaboration to be considered substantial. What in the world does taking "advantage of what the wiiu brings to the table" even mean? See, this is what makes your story so dubious. You're speaking in ambiguities, and hey if you're doing that to cover your tracks and protect your hide, we get that, but at least try to be more coherent.

You've stated that ports will require noticeable concessions. This is tantamount to calling other devs liars. There's absolutely zero way to get around that unless you're willing to elaborate on what the wiiu "brings to the table" as you so describe it. Those devs clearly weren't talking about the controller, so what is it? People wouldn't be flaming you if you posted more than twice every few hours to every couple of days and actually chose to make clear, non-contradictory statements.

Coolwhip

Banned
You guys overanalyze too much. Arkam shared his experience with the WiiU. Let's assume he is being honest. If he says that from experience it's weaker than the current consoles I give that more weight than vague pr comments by big publishers/developers. They benefit from not giving Nintendo bad press, while Arkam can anonymously share his experiences.

I'd say let's wait and see before flaming Arkam to death now. E3 is only -FOREVER- away anyway.

You guys overanalyze too much. Arkam shared his experience with the WiiU. Let's assume he is being honest. If he says that from experience it's weaker than the current consoles I give that more weight than vague pr comments by big publishers/developers. They benefit from not giving Nintendo bad press, while Arkam can anonymously share his experiences.

I'd say let's wait and see before flaming Arkam to death now. E3 is only -FOREVER- away anyway.

But we've had other people in this thread that are also industry insiders that have stated the opposite...

Arent you on a NDA? If so, why break it? -_-

Edit: fuck it, can one of mods ban arkam? tired of him dragging this thread. This has gone too long...

Dude, stop it. Just put him on ignore if you want.

But we've had other people in this thread that are also industry insiders that have stated the opposite...

At the end of the day we're only going to find out who is and isn't telling the truth at E3 or when more 'leaks' are made with sources to more reputable folks than some developer. If Arkham posted what he heard or saw then so be it. We simply won't know until we know.

AzaK

Someone put Iwata at the phone, we are in great danger.
Arkam IS Iwata.

Oh and concessions are often made when porting multiplat games. Especially between xbox360 and ps3. We just don't tend to advertise what sacrifices we make.

Hmm, so are you saying that if you take the same engine (Not optimised for anything in Wii U, like say massive EDRAM), same gameplay code, same framerate lock, same shaders and same assets that Wii U looks just like a 360/PS3 game? Now *THAT* I can believe.

Instro

We did? I think I missed that then. Could you point me to them?

We have, at least one of those people has actually worked with the hardware iirc. Some other comments have come from people who know someone working with it. No idea where to find them in this or the previous Wii U thread though, seems like it would take quite a bit of digging to find the original posts. Kind of makes arkhams comments puzzling then, clearly he is on the up and up, but its strange that we now have this outlier statement by comparison to previous comments from others. There's no way of knowing why, without him going into more detail on the devkit which I imagine he wouldn't want to.

Seriously, all of you need to calm the fuck down.

Separate devs can work on the exact same hardware and come out with entirely different experiences. Valve programmers to this day haven't completely grasped the PS3, but Naughty Dog can exploit it far beyond perceived limits.

He doesn't seem to have technical acumen, but neither do most of us.

Calm down and talk with the man.

Separate devs can work on the exact same hardware and come out with entirely different experiences. Valve programmers to this day haven't completely grasped the PS3, but Naughty Dog can exploit it far beyond perceived limits.

We'd love to, but he's given us nothing except statements that completely contradict everyone else without any kind of basis for it.

AzaK

I have something even simpler: he's here with an agenda, and he's laughing at this thread.

Or it's like I said - if it's a straight port with NO changes to anything other than to get it actually running it's unlikely to look any better. If I ported my mid 90's shooter to a top end PC of today, it would still look and run exactly the same.

EDIT: In fact he said as much

Arkam said:
Maybe their software takes advantage of what the wiiu brings to the table. Our games do not.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned because the reason I speculate would not invalidate anything we've heard, nor invalidate what Arkam has said.

Postman

Banned

but if we agitate him enough he will go into a nerd rage and slip up on some info. :(

magash

The earliest rumours had the WiiU at 2X Xbox360. Developers have gone on the record as far back as E3 last year stating that the WiiU is stronger than the Xbox360. For the WiiU now to be at best as strong as the Xbox360 it will mean that Nintendo would have actually reduced the power of the console. I find that very hard to believe.

TunaLover

Or it's like I said - if it's a straight port with NO changes to anything other than to get it actually running it's unlikely to look any better. If I ported my mid 90's shooter to a top end PC of today, it would still look and run exactly the same.
Exactly, for what we know the guy is not in charge of technical stuff, he could be an art designer or whatever other task not directly involved with hardware features, if it´s a straight port then it shouldn´t look any better either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hey guys. Arkham checks out.

antonz

Okay. So what does that mean exactly? The Wii U is an extremely weak (worse than the 360) machine?

Just means he like alot of people around here work in the industry at large. Doesnt add or detract from his statements. Basically just his word versus other words and upto people how they want to take it.

Just means he like alot of people around here work in the industry at large. Doesnt add or detract from his statements. Basically just his word versus other words and upto people how they want to take it.

Yep. All he had to say was that he works for a company that has a dev kit(s), but he does not have direct access to the kit itself and things would have gone totally different. Instead he chose to put blame on the hardware based on what sounded like second-hand info that most likely isn't really the hardware's fault.

EDarkness

This thread is about to become a snipe hunt for two weeks as it countenances dubious claims.

In my opinion, I don't care if the Wii U is on the same level as the 360. As long as I can get IR/Wii Pad multi-plat games, I'm good. I can see how other people might not be so happy about that. Though, regardless of overall power, we know it has more RAM than the 360, which is automatically better in my opinion.

Yep. All he had to say was that he works for a company that has a dev kit(s), but he does not have direct access to the kit itself and things would have gone totally different. Instead he chose to put blame on the hardware based on what sounded like second-hand info that most likely isn't really the hardware's fault.
ding dong ding

Hey guys. Arkham checks out.
your face checks out WHATTTNOWWWW

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can vouch he works for a developer, and I can vouch for the developer having devkits. That's where it begins and ends. Whether or not his info is correct is not something I can nor would look into.

ozfunghi

This isn't going anywhere. He isn't giving any info, he's just making claims. There is a huge difference. He should give a mod more concrete info, about what he does exactly within the company and what is at the basis of his claims. If he isn't a programmer, what does that mean? He could be a nobody that misinterpreted something he overheard in the cafeteria. He would still have an e-mail of the company. That in itself doesn't prove anything as far as i'm conserned. So let a mod decide how credible his claims sound if he is too afraid to blow his cover.

EatChildren

This isn't going anywhere. He isn't giving any info, he's just making claims. There is a huge difference. He should give a mod more concrete info, about what he does exactly within the company and what is at the basis of his claims. If he isn't a programmer, what does that mean? He could be a nobody that misinterpreted something he overheard in the cafeteria. He would still have an e-mail of the company. That in itself doesn't prove anything as far as i'm conserned. So let a mod decide how credible his claims sound if he is too afraid to blow his cover.

You only want this to satisfy your own curiosity. It isn't a requirement and I'm not going to ask him to do that. He says he works for X, and I can clearly see he works for X. I also know that X has devkits.

I'm not playing Mr. Detective because I don't really give a shit if he's stirring the hive and you people (what do you mean you people?) don't want to believe him.

@ E.C Your such a cock tease :p

I know :p.

EDarkness

He should just stop posting stuff about the Wii U if he can't really give any information. It would save him and us a lot of trouble. (Heh, I learned this lesson a long time ago.)

All of you are being assholes. Calm the hell down. The way you're acting, do you think others who may work in the industry would speak up if their info conflicts with what others have said? Freaking witch hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom