• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, considering this is already the second Wii U Spectulation Thread, I sometimes wonder how come it's got so many views and even posts. Clearly people must be immensly interested in Nintendo's next big thing as well as Nintendo themselves. It's gotta be FUN for you all or even an obsession of some sort, because you - fuck, me included - can't stop thinking about the damn thing. As soon as new information leaks, people jump on it like vultures on dead meat. The fact that Nintendo knows how to keep it's secrets makes it even more exciting and fun.

Nintendo must be the best thing ever, because they know how to produce enjoyment. Even just the thinking/the speculation about the Wii U let's people have fun - that's how genius they are. Nintendo's partly made out of PURE MAGIC it seems, don't you see? They know what you want, want makes you happy, even before you do. They could provide you with the details, but they don't want to. They just know how much fun it is to speculate about them.

They even have Ninjas, how is that?

Honestly, I don't think it will be any different once the next Xbox and PS4 are announced. People are just very interested in where we're going technologically in this industry. I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I plan on being active in the speculation thread for the other two consoles.

royalan

I wonder what the maximum tolerable price for this thing will be. I'm thinking $399.

If it's a repackaged 360...$200 if they want to be competitive with PS360. $250 with a killer launch lineup tops.

If it's a step up like initially believed...$350 - $379.

Wolfie5

Back to pricing, awesome! Wait, let me just copy & paste my old post...

" I am thinking $349 with a maybe on $399. I am thinking they are going to include Wiimote, Wii U tablet and a demo game. "

I don't think there is room in the market anymore for expensive products. If they launch above 349 I'm gonna wait it out, watch not many people buy it, watch nintendo panic and drop the price by a lot, and then I'll get it.

Precedence has been set. And with that said, I think 349 is kind of pushing it as well.

So, with Nintendo sending out messages via Swap Note and all, I really hope they preload such a software on the Wii U.
Such amazing marketing potential.

399 is a bust for me.

299 is a definite, 249 is a wet dream, 349 is what I expect, and that's doable IF the launch and launch window are looking GREAT.

This sounds about right. I'd pay 399 though if Nintendo brings the heat and releases something that is a nice upgrade from the 360/ps3.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The luanch xbox 360 had a calculated volume of 6,616,926 square millimeters, but did anyone ever do a water displacement test? By wrapping it in cellophane? That 'inhale' shape prolly added alot.

Roo

Back to pricing, awesome! Wait, let me just copy & paste my old post...

" I am thinking $349 with a maybe on $399. I am thinking they are going to include Wiimote, Wii U tablet and a demo game. "

Don't forget the Nunchuk.
If Nintendo still wants third party support for wiimote and nunckuk they better
put them in the box.
Aren't those cheap to make now?
why not? =/

royalan

Wii U isn't competing with the current HD twins. It will be priced at $300 minimum regardless of its power.

It will be if it's not offering a significant upgrade over the 360 (let alone the PS3).

If what Arkam suggested is true, I think a $300 launch price would be suicide.

Before the 3DS fiasco, I believe Nintendo were considering a $349-$399 price range. Now, I believe the range is $299-$349. They need to make the most of their rapidly shrinking head start and get the unit into as many homes as possible. They don't want to have to slash the price early on either. I believe Iwata has warned investors not to expect an immediate return to profitability this year, which would indicate selling the console at a loss.

Remember this: no matter how powerful the system is, consumers have a certain expectation as to how much a Nintendo console should cost. Nintendo tried changing this expectation with a $250 3DS, but then quickly brought the price back into familiar territory at $170. Launching at over $299 has to scare them shitless. I think it's where they'll eventually price it. Maybe a few free downloads off the estore to get people exploring the Nintendo Network. Wii Sports can stand on its own now, and is a system seller even if not packed in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If it's a reconstituted 360 I wouldn't pay more than $199 for it. That would be ridiculous.

The tough question is whether or not they risk it a medium-high price like 349 and possibly kill momentum before it even comes out, or if they play it safe and launch it at 299 (or magically less, less would be at a loss though). High risk high reward at 349+.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If it's a reconstituted 360 I wouldn't pay more than $199 for it. That would be ridiculous.
Xbox 360 4GB Console currently has an MSRP of $199.99. The SKU Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect has an MSRP of $299.99. If Wii U does not come with a 4GB hard disk drive the price can probably be lowered a $20 or so, from $299.99.

royalan

Rösti;35346668 said:
Xbox 360 4GB Console currently has an MSRP of $199.99. The SKU Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect has an MSRP of $299.99. If Wii U does not come with a 4GB hard disk drive the price can probably be lowered a $20 or so, from $299.99.

Let's not count out the very likely price cut/bundles the 360's going to get by this holiday season. You can almost count on it...

antonz

Let's not count out the very likely price cut/bundles the 360's going to get by this holiday season. You can almost count on it...

Yep and if Nintendo skimps I could see Microsoft getting very aggresive in advertising. We offer everything the Wii U does for half the price.

360s when they are on sale at around christmas time and whatnot can be found as low as 149.99, it's pretty ridiculous. Nintendo will have to go balls out to convince people, and they'll have to ACE the marketing.

No it wouldn't. People are going to eat up the tablet controller at $300.

Will they? It really depends on what software Nintendo reveals at E3, but nothing they showed last year convinced me that the tablet has the same intuitive appeal to casuals as the Wii Remote or Kinect.

Delio

I'm kinda confused is the Wii U as powerful as a 360 now or not? Reading the last few pages people don't seem sure.

royalan

No it wouldn't. People are going to eat up the tablet controller at $300.

You could end up being right, but I just don't see the tablet controller being a wiimote/kinect level game changer. The tech world is flooded with tablet devices right now, and all the ones that aren't named iPad/Kindle Fire/Nook aren't setting the world on fire with their sales. We're getting to the point of market saturation where just slapping a touch screen on something isn't going to get people running.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rösti;35346668 said:

Doesn't matter.

I still stand by my statement: If this thing is just a reconstituted 360 and Nintendo tries to put this at $250 or higher it's DOA.

Log4Girlz

You could end up being right, but I just don't see the tablet controller being a wiimote/kinect level game changer. The tech world is flooded with tablet devices right now, and all the ones that aren't named iPad/Kindle Fire/Nook aren't setting the world on fire with their sales. We're getting to the point of market saturation where just slapping a touch screen on something isn't going to get people running.

I don't see any cell phones anymore which do not have some sort of screen, touch or not. I don't see any dumb phones burning up the charts and pulling their parent companies massive profit margins. Sometimes there is a paradigm shift where the future is obvious. I think a tablet controller could be a natural progression everyone must adopt or die.

Rhod

Nintendo is going to have one hell of a time convincing people a tablet is worth paying double if thats all they have to distinguish themselves/

You mean, if their own hardware/software combination is all they have to distinguish themselves? Like, say, why people buy Apple products at a significantly higher price than a competitor?

It is of course a difficult job to convince people of this. It requires a huge amount of skill and effort in the development of software and hardware, in unison.

I still stand by my statement: If this thing is just a reconstituted 360 and Nintendo tries to put this at $250 or higher it's DOA.

Well of course it would be. That would be ridiculous. But if its hardware is similar to a 360, yet its functionality is wildly different, then the value proposition is entirely different. If there are enough 'you can only do that on Nintendo' things, then people will buy it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Links to these statements from devs?
For every one dev that has said on par, we've had at least 5 say above.

From every gaf member that's been verified by a mod who works for a video game company and have actually seen real WiiU dev kit and have said it's either slightly below or on par with current PS360 tech vs random non verified dev comments on the interweb.

I know which one I trust more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom