• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was hoped for when the Wiimote was shown off. For the most part we got shitty waggle.

I have little faith that there will be a whole bunch of creativity from devs.
Part of that was unrealistic expectations about the capabilities of the wiimote (the same could be said of kinect). Even if motionplus had been included from day one, a lot of the suggested uses wouldn't have been feasible with a reliable degree of accuracy. The Wii U pad is much more of a known quantity. We have seen what the DS has done with a second screen. We have seen tablet games. And we have seen games on multiple formats using accelerometers and augmented reality. We have a much better idea of what is and is not possible with a Wii U pad.

Nibel

This was hoped for when the Wiimote was shown off. For the most part we got shitty waggle.

I have little faith that there will be a whole bunch of creativity from devs.

Yeah; but I think that this was because of the Wii not being powerful enough or not being attractive enough for most developers.

This is why Nintendo tries to establish better partnerships this time around. Innovation isn't everything to get the most out of a system.

HD Canvas Curse, Time Splitters 4, Pikmin 3: always aiming high, aren't we?! :D

But I can see Nintendo porting some Nintendo DS game ideas to the Wii U.

While most people aim low to avoid disappointment, I aim high and just don't care if it doesn't work out.
The hype is part of the fun, and people get far too attached to beliefs of what should happen.

Its sad how people forget about the built in camera and microphone the controller has and dont even incorporate it into new ideas for gaming, specially for team online gameplay

While Twilight Princess had better artwork than the Space World 2000 demo, the demo had much better animation and ran at 60fps.
There's 60fps footage of Space World 2000 around so this can be told?
thesh00ter said:
for all those wanting something from GDC:

i swear u guys are as bad at finding loopholes in getting news then Patcher is at making predicitons. do u honestly think they're gonna give final specs?
Well, it is the Game Developers Conference; one might hope they'd have something relevant to Wii U game developers.

Jindujun

Neo Member
how about a Wii U scribblenauts with the keyboard on the controller screen?
keep the small puzzles from the handheld version but add a larger adventure mode for longer game sessions

royalan

Its sad how people forget about the built in camera and microphone the controller has and dont even incorporate it into new ideas for gaming, specially for team online gameplay

Don't see you spittin out any ideas either. ;)

But yeah - was the mic and camera used for any E3 demos? I can't recall.

how about a Wii U scribblenauts with the keyboard on the controller screen?
keep the small puzzles from the handheld version but add a larger adventure mode for longer game sessions

The director of the games says he has lots of ideas for games on the system.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/27732/scribblenauts-director-reveals-wii-u-ideas/

Don't see you spittin out any ideas either. ;)

But yeah - was the mic and camera used for any E3 demos? I can't recall.

The Mic was used for Ghost Recon's multiplayer.
The camera was really only used to demonstrate video chat.

You have to remember most of what we saw at E3 was just proof of concepts for the screen. We saw very little that would deal with anything else. Even the motion controls were used sparingly.

D_prOdigy

I want a Battlefield game but like how Battlefield used to be.

Basically like Battalion Wars.

Developed by Retro Studios.

Is that too much to ask?

EDIT: The source that suggested 5TH Cell would have a Wii U launch game was incredibly plausible.

I want a Battlefield game but like how Battlefield used to be.

Basically like Battalion Wars.

Developed by Retro Studios.

Is that too much to ask?

EDIT: The source that suggested 5TH Cell would have a Wii U launch game was incredibly plausible.

Why wouldn't Retro just make a more "adult" Battalion Wars, then.

Vinci

Danish
Now I'm not going to mock it up, 'cos I'm busy creating what I think the UI should look like, but imagine you're playing with a team of friends and want to see their position as you make your way towards them - tap their player icon on the side and the Upad could stream their current view on the action, first or third person, so you can assess the situation before you get there.

Now take this to another level - you could take control of a reconnaissance aircraft and inform your friends what enemies are luring around the corner through voice chat and video feed of your intel.

This kind of teamwork would, frankly, be awesome. Some nice 'fuzzy' video feed effects and interruptions/lag when there's an explosion close by and it could really work.

See, it's these sort of ideas - or at least the scope of them - that get me excited about the controller. Far more intriguing than just putting the HUD on the thing. We've never had a control input on a controller with this much flexibility before, and yet some people act like this is a bad thing or a wasted thing.

I really don't get it.

Nibel

Haven't you seen StarFox U?

mX7i7.jpg

royalan

The Mic was used for Ghost Recon's multiplayer.
The camera was really only used to demonstrate video chat.

You have to remember most of what we saw at E3 was just proof of concepts for the screen. We saw very little that would deal with anything else. Even the motion controls were used sparingly.

Ah, rewatching that [corny as hell] Ghost Recon Online trailer. For some reason it didn't click that they had to be using some kind of mic.

Anyway, hope it's a halfway decent mic/speaker setup. I always worry about interference with non-headset setups.

Ah, rewatching that [corny as hell] Ghost Recon Online trailer. For some reason it didn't click that they had to be using some kind of mic.

Anyway, hope it's a halfway decent mic/speaker setup. I always worry about interference with non-headset setups.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Most Web Cams these days have good enough mics that you can speak to someone from a few feet away.
\
Nintendo needs and exclusive CoD caliber FPS to win with the "hard core"...

It'll have TS4 and Retro's new Metroid Shooter based on the adventures of Anthony Higgs.
:D

MDX

Nintendo needs and exclusive CoD caliber FPS to win with the "hard core"...

Possibly, possibly not.
WiiU can usher in a new genre or revitalize a genre that will be the defacto genre
that the "hard core" will flock to. The game that will best represent it, will be the new king.

Nibel

Bingo, but more than just COD it needs GTA, TES, AC etc aswell.

Well, I think they already confirmed AC(3) for Wii U at E3 2011.
We won't see GTA5 on the Wii U, at least not around GTA5's launch time.

TES.. mhm, I can see Bethesda porting some kind of GOTY edition for the system. But then again, maybe they will just skip it and port Fallout 4; yup, I think that Fallout 4 is their next project and that it will be based on a modified version of the "new" Skyrim engine.

Or I'm totally wrong and developers will skip a Nintendo console again.

royalan

Bingo, but more than just COD it needs GTA, TES, AC etc aswell.

I would also like to see Nintendo try its hand at creating the next big franchise.

The first two years are my favorite time of a new gen. It's when you see the most big-budget new franchises as devs race each other to create the first gen-defining games.

EDIT:

Possibly, possibly not.
WiiU can usher in a new genre or revitalize a genre that will be the defacto genre
that the "hard core" will flock to. The game that will represent it, will be the new king.

Basically this.

Possibly, possibly not.
that the "hard core" will flock to. The game that will represent it, will be the new king.

Exactly, plus its safe to assume equal ports of CoD will start to come to WiiU

clemenx

Banned
That original design looks so ergonomic! It looks like the nunchuck and handles of CC Pro, which are the most comfortable things in gaming.

But I trust the impressions saying that the Upad was comfortable, but after how square the 3DS is I'm a bit worried.

Ive played my 3DS for a long while, itll never replace a joystick.

Well, the Wii U's circle pad isn't exactly the same.
But even if it was, the 3DS circle pad works perfectly fine. The only reason it becomes uncomfortable is because of how small the unit is for some people. Something that shouldn't be a problem here.

clemenx

Banned
Or maybe they've done testing that you haven't on which is better for this controller design...

I don't know your opinion about the 3DS but aren't you at least a bit worried about the ergonomics of the UPad?

CC Pro and Wii + NUnchuck are probably the most comfortable controllers ever not to mention the Game Cube one so they do have good history in this but they somehow did something wrong with the 3DS imo.

Then again, 3DS is too small, but Upad looks quite big which IMO is a plus.

Oh, I don't care about sliders. I think they can work just fine.

Well, the Wii U's circle pad isn't exactly the same.
But even if it was, the 3DS circle pad works perfectly fine. The only reason it becomes uncomfortable is because of how small the unit is for some people. Something that shouldn't be a problem here.

Dont know, I really feel limited range movement specially for fast paced games like Street Fighter. Circle pad is a good solution for a handheld but it shouldn't replace an analog stick...

Dont know, I really feel limited range movement specially for fast paced games like Street Fighter. Circle pad is a good solution for a handheld but it shouldn't replace an analog stick...

Well, you're doing it wrong here...
D-Pad is far superior for fighters.

And the Wii U's circle pad has a greater range of movement and a better grip.

Oh, so that wasn't fan-made???

I wonder what made them change it. The original looks so much more comfortable and like a controller.
Sure. They probably started out with something more like a standard controller, then made changes based on what worked and what didn't. A biggie I notice is that by moving the analogs to directly over the d-pad/buttons, they cut down the space to the side of the screens, which should make reaching the touch screen with thumbs easier.

nordique

I'm sure Nintendo, if they had analog sticks in a prior design, changed them to circle pads for a reason.

Its not like Nintendo doesn't know how to make comfortable hardware or controllers ;)

I'm willing to bet that the original UPad wasn't comfortable with the analog sticks. Holding my iPad and "imagining" analog sticks vs circle pads shows with circle pads one has more stability overall with the controller.

See, I don't get this. The whole point of a HUD is to have important information immediately available in your peripheral vision. They invented HUDs for pilots because having to look down at an instrument panel or secondary display in combat was a liability. In the case of the DS at least the two screens were right on top of eachother, but with the WiiU you'd literally be looking down at your hands all the time. Even the inventory management shit doesn't make a ton of sense. If I'm going to have to take my eyes off the action anyway to look down at the controller, there's very little benefit over just popping up the inventory on the main screen. The realtime loadout swapping they're talking about in Darksiders 2 could just as easily be done with a button press.

You're not going to be pleased if/when all the consoles have that as the primary function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom