• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

I don't get how some of you people from the industry can talk about the devkits or leave hints of it. Isn't that breaking NDA? I'm just a QA Tester and I can't talk about the games I work on, or any other thing I know from inside.

Heck, I thought I'd be in trouble when I first mentioned PSN was back up for devs back at the hack.

Sources tell them stuff aside from lherre. Be like you telling a forum member here about details on the game you are working on & them leaving hints on it. Whoever the source is may be breaking the NDA but not the person sharing the details to the masses.

2GB for software, + 1GB for system OS?

You'd have to use the Super slow regular DDR3 to have 2GB + 1GB. Ram densities on the faster ram is too small to hit 3GB with it. I think they would be better off going with 2GB of fast ram, than 2 gigs of slow ram, and 1 gig of fast ram.

Latest Revelations

This sounds pretty good. So from this I'm thinking each screen looks twice as good as 360, or more likely, the HD display looks somewhat better than 360 and the subscreen looks almost as good as 360.

Of course, the variety of graphics on either screen is completely variable outside the resolution restraints. Nintendo is leaving it up to the dev to utilize the systems power and features as they see fit.

Ideaman could verify himself via mod via LinkedIn, but that's not here nor there, especially since I have no idea if LinkedIn is prevalent in France.

Personally, I have to explore my inner pessimist and wonder if he's just a guy who's telling us what we want to hear. If he's been following enough, he probably knows what the upper limits of believability are for the system, and if he's planned it out well, he could just be hinting at some made up spec.

But really, I'd just like to believe him.

Instro

2GB seems like s stretch, I will stick with 1.5GB.

Ideaman could verify himself via mod via LinkedIn, but that's not here nor there, especially since I have no idea if LinkedIn is prevalent in France.

Personally, I have to explore my inner pessimist and wonder if he's just a guy who's telling us what we want to hear. If he's been following enough, he probably knows what the upper limits of believability are for the system, and if he's planned it out well, he could just be hinting at some made up spec.

But really, I'd just like to believe him.

I don't think he is a dev though so Im not sure that would work. Which sadly makes him a question mark for now.

I don't think he is a dev though so Im not sure that would work. Which sadly makes him a question mark for now.

Sure it would. There would have to be a bit of creative work to make it go, but a listing of his previous employers that way could verify that he was involved in video game journalism in France.

Edit: Alistair Roo Post coming in 3..2..

You orange bastard! *shake fist*

Fine. I'll leak some concept art in this thread.

Concept.JPG

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Before everyone creams their pants: Have positive rumours about a Nintendo console ever panned out pre-launch?

Yeah.

I choose to be pessimistic. I am predicting 512 MB of RAM. Anything higher and I will be pleasantly surprised.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Before everyone creams their pants: Have positive rumours about a Nintendo console ever panned out pre-launch?

Yeah.

I choose to be pessimistic. I am predicting 512 MB of RAM. Anything higher and I will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

Yeah.

Ubisoft themselves already confirmed it had more at E3.

Instro

Sure it would. There would have to be a bit of creative work to make it go, but a listing of his previous employers that way could verify that he was involved in video game journalism in France.

Ah yeah i suppose thats one way to go about it.

DrWong

Hey Ideaman, mon ami, I'm French and also worked for video game magazines. PM me I'll confirm you. Come on, allez quoi...

^ You and others will make me lots of money.

OK then. Seeing as it looks like it taxes the system quite heavily, I have just one simple question.....how much RAM does it need to run? <whistles>

Let's just say Crysis looks like an NES game by comparison.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Sorry. I put myself under an NDA with the game so I can't reveal much more than what I have.
I'm confused. I see no killing of dead people in that concept art. Let me "overhear" a clarification and pass it along.

Yeah.

It doesn't usually work that way. Being pessimistic just leaves you depressed. And being intentionally pessimistic doesn't alleviate much because you know you were low-balling your expectations.

I suggest going crazy-insane with inflated expectations, have fun with it now, but don't flip out when reality hits. The best part, for any unsuspecting sucker you draw into your hype, you can revel in their broken dreams.

I'm confused. I see no killing of dead people in that concept art. Let me "overhear" a clarification and pass it along.

It doesn't usually work that way. Being pessimistic just leaves you depressed. And being intentionally pessimistic doesn't alleviate much because you know you were low-balling your expectations.

I suggest going crazy-insane with inflated expectations, have fun with it now, but don't flip out when reality hits. The best part, for any unsuspecting sucker you draw into your hype, you can revel in their broken dreams.

This guy gets it.

guek

Banned
Alright guys, it's been a long day. Anything interesting to talk abou-

So, as promised, i'll give you an information concerning the Wii U ram.

This is heavily linked to my initial post

In the specific context where i gathered this information (read the Warning part here), i can say that the retail version of Wii U will absolutely not have less than 1 GB of ram. You can ditch this 760mb of ram rumor and never look back.

The exciting bonus: From what i know, i'm also pretty sure that it will not have just 1 GB.

This is reported in a Rev4 dev kit frame, so maybe the later versions will change even more the ram situation. But whatever the amount of memory current dev kits have, i'm talking of the retail version*

*Yes, dev kits often have a different amount of ram for debugging and other things, but even if it may be the case for Wii U, my sources are able to know how much ram the real Wii U is expected to have, for the moment ! You can guess how.

Edit: more hints a few posts below :p

More to come about the padlet, before the end of the week :)

To be more precise, i was quite surprised by the amount of ram expected in the retail version.

I think this message is a bigger hint that the previous one :p

surprise.gif

JEBUS

btw, is there any way you could prove to a mod that you're a reputable source, Ideaman? Access to a work related email that would connect you to the industry would be enough and you wouldn't have to reveal it to anyone but a mod. I don't ask because I doubt you, it would just be nice to have that extra level of reassurance.

Roo

hahaha no this time =P
and regarding Ideaman, you're free to belive him or not.
I'm pretty sure all of us are taking everything with a grain of salt
especially if those are good news.
We will know in a few months if he's telling the truth or just trolling
so if he's doing the latter he better prepare to be crucified >:)

guek

Banned
It's nice to believe once in awhile but you're right, expectations should still be held in check until we see something substantial. C'mooon GDC...c'mon...

EDarkness

Damn, 2GB would be pretty awesome. Honestly, if it was just a little more powerful than the PS3/360, but had a lot of RAM, I'd be happy. Devs could do a lot with stuff like that. At least in theory....

Going from 88 MB to 2 GB in one generation is quite a leap.

The idea earlier suggested of having the console run a GC/Wii game on the tv and another on the Upad is interesting. I think it would be a great feature and it makes sense. If one of the main draws to the console is being able to watch TV and still use your game system, you should also be able to use your tv to play one game whilst a sibling/friend/whatever plays another. It's the same line of thinking, really.

Found it.

Okay, I remember why I thought it was so weird. He says if the kits have 10 GB, the retail range is 4-5 GB (half or less). But then he says if the kits have 2GB, the retail range is 1GB or more (half or more).

It was definitely a mixed message, probably due to broken English. He does explicitely say that it can't be less than 1, but by his own logic and example, it can't be more than 1.

So I don't know.

Actually, you're reading it wrong.

He said that if Nintendo was targeting 4 to 5 GB in the retail console, that they would target the higher amount in the Dev kit. Meaning that they would use 10GB RAM instead of 8GB RAM since they want to double the higher amount, not the lower amount.

antonz

1.5-2.0GB will be fantastic even if it is the lower end. Will allow much nicer texture work etc which Devs have already confirmed since E3.

ozfunghi

The problem i have with (the credibility of) Ideaman, is that he seems to be acting like some sort of superstar fanboy. He likes the attention (or should i say, craves it), is "playing" the part. While not under any NDA himself, speaks in riddles that can be easily understood without actually saying them (why doesn't he just say "2 GB"? Why the charades?) as if it would really matter when faced with his source. And the way he communicates, doesn't feel like a former journalist in his 30s or 40s. Also the info he provides, is basically echoing whatever has been decided as concencus earlier in this topic...

So i'd be really relieved and happy if he could -one way or another- get verified by a mod, but i wouldn't know how. He's an EX-game journalist. Or maybe if he could give some info only others who have a devkit could confirm (like Lherre), it would be so much easier to believe him.

The problem i have with (the credibility of) Ideaman, is that he seems to be acting like some sort of superstar fanboy. He likes the attention (or should i say, craves it), is "playing" the part. While not under any NDA himself, speaks in riddles that can be easily understood without actually saying them (why doesn't he just say "2 GB"? Why the charades?) as if it would really matter when faced with his source. And the way he communicates, doesn't feel like a former journalist in his 30s or 40s. Also the info he provides, is basically echoing whatever has been decided as concencus earlier in this topic...

So i'd be really relieved and happy if he could -one way or another- get verified by a mod, but i wouldn't know how. He's an EX-game journalist. Or maybe if he could give some info only others who have a devkit could confirm (like Lherre), it would be so much easier to believe him.

I have the same issue. I like my vague info credible. I expect the same out of IdeaMan that I did out of Arkam or lhere. Even if the latter two are in development and the former isn't.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Meh...I think he's just trying to make the thread a bit more fun. It's a long way until E3. If he's real, I'd much rather him slowly leak stuff between now and then instead of doing it all at once.

I have no problem with him sharing things, but I do feel he's been kind of pretentious in his affect on the thread.

I have the same issue. I like my vague info credible. I expect the same out of IdeaMan that I did out of Arkam or lhere. Even if the latter two are in development and the former isn't.

Everyone should be held to the same standard, yeah.

Even though I personally hold a belief that IdeaMan is closer than Arkam (there was no 'h' in his name? huh, never noticed), I found it a little disheartening that the reaction to Ark was "He's reporting lower specs than what we previously heard? HE'S A GOD DAMNED LIAR!", whereas the reaction to IM is largely "He's reporting higher specs than what we previously heard? Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!".

I know this doesn't apply to everyone who reacted to either of the two, but there seemed to be quite a bit of a preponderance of such reaction. Confirmation bias is always, always an ugly thing.

On another note: Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!

All I care about is a Wii U strong enough to get third-part ports that run on the same engine as on the competitor's console.
I would love the WiiPad used properly with multi-plat titles such as Bioshock, Portal, or Skyrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom