• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This GAF obsession with Retro is by far one of the most annoying GAF obsessions of all time. And GAF goes through a lot of obsessions.

"hey retro should do this" "retro should do that" "kirby? get retro on it!" "donkey kong retrooo" "zelda + retro = DUHH" "star tropics retrooooo yeahhhhh" "I hope retro is working on it" "man that would be great for retro" "retro seems like the perfect fit" "hmmm I think retro should do this title" "if anyone can do it, it's retro"

Not saying it's completely unfounded, they are are obviously talented, but like, yeeeeshhhh.

Retro

StevieP

Banned
Whenever I ask someone to describe what a revolutionary Zelda is, I either get Okami, Darksiders, or fanfiction.

Yeah they should totally get the guys back together that did Okami. I bet those stupid and long intro sequences in the last couple Zelda games wouldn't be nearly as long if the game was more like Okami.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Didn't find anything on GAF about this news so sorry if it was already posted: not a big deal but according to French website LiveWii, High Voltage Software (Conduit 2) is developping for Wii U. Probably The Grinding, switched from Wii to Wii U...

Just checked the official studio website and found this...

platforms_dark4.jpg

Crappy developer.

This GAF obsession with Retro is by far one of the most annoying GAF obsessions of all time. And GAF goes through a lot of obsessions.

"hey retro should do this" "retro should do that" "kirby? get retro on it!" "donkey kong retrooo" "zelda + retro = DUHH" "star tropics retrooooo yeahhhhh" "I hope retro is working on it" "man that would be great for retro" "retro seems like the perfect fit" "hmmm I think retro should do this title" "if anyone can do it, it's retro"

Not saying it's completely unfounded, they are are obviously talented, but like, yeeeeshhhh.

We are not a collective. Maybe some people are following a crowd around here, but I like Retro because they make good games, not because Gaf likes them.

I think it's time to get some new blood on Zelda, and I've always enjoyed Retro's work, so of course I'm going to advocate it. A lot of people have the same feelings for other games as well, they just want to see some freshness in a series and they see potential in Retro, why do you have such a beef with this?

v1oz

It used to be like that with Rare. Back in the old days people wanted Rare to make everything from fighting games to stealth action games.

JaseMath

Retro is the Pixar of the gamIng industry.

Well, this too, but I'd really like to see another studio handling the next Zelda (EAD Tokyo or Retro). In this case, it would be very interesting to see a brand new Action/Adventure coming out of EAD 3.

I'm really not sure what they would do with it. I keep imagining a Mario 3DLand style Zelda with levels and hubs... I know they wouldn't do that, but you know, it's just hard to imagine what they would do. I guess I'd be down for Tokyo, but I'd much rather Retro take it this time.

OH! I just remembered the 3DS Zelda, perhaps Tokyo could take that on.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Until proven otherwise, Retro is an excellent developer, so everything they will do is fine by me.

I'm back!

I honestly don't care who develops "Zelda U" (it's gonna kick ass anyways), but I can't stop seeing RETRO/METROID PRIME in that ZELDA WiiU demo.

Don't know if it's the color palette or something...it just "smells" RETRO.

Beth Cyra

The thing I find oddest about this isn't even that people think it will be a quality title but that Retro will some how make a game sell amazingly well.

DKR certainly did well but even at the best of time's Metroid Prime did good but not lighting the charts on fire. Just odd how many times I've seen Gaffers say that Retro's games will be huge sellers, or that getting a Retro title out will be the big game for something. Nintendo has much bigger and more popular things then Retro's games.

Log4Girlz

I honestly don't care who develops "Zelda U" (it's gonna kick ass anyways), but I can't stop seeing RETRO/METROID PRIME in that ZELDA WiiU demo.

Sigh...I have to hope for Retro and HOPE they take a more western approach to a Zelda game. Many will skin me alive for saying it. I loooove Skyward Sword but it feels very antiquated.

Beth Cyra

It's pretty much ripped straight out of Twilight Princess but just better, how does that smell Retro in the least?

Mlatador

Banned
The Conduit 2 multiplayer is very good! Pointer controls work perfectly (once adjusted) and even the singleplayer was not bad, but of course could have been better.

It's not likely, but I would look forward to a Conduit 3 on Wii U.

maeda

Yeah they should totally get the guys back together that did Okami. I bet those stupid and long intro sequences in the last couple Zelda games wouldn't be nearly as long if the game was more like Okami.
Sure, it would be longer, more boring and have tons more dialogue. I am amazed that there are people who would like to see a Zelda game where we get into the 1st dungeon 10 hours in the game.

fernoca

The Conduit 2 multiplayer is very good! Pointer controls work perfectly (once adjusted) and even the singleplayer was not bad, but of course could have been better.

It's not likely, but I would look forward to a Conduit 3 on Wii U.
Yeah. I liked Conduit 2. It wasn't perfect, but it was well done and fun; plus the multiplayer was cool too.

Last year they were experimenting with the 3DS and the Conduit demo looked nice (third person; used the touch-screen as subtitle of the second analog so I guess the game will support the Pro-add on if it ever gets made); if anything I guess their Wii U game might look good and have a fun online multiplayer aspect. :p

PHEW, that was a long 2 weeks ban. But now I'm back for the madness leading up to E3. Hopefully we get more tidbits more frequently as the date approaches. Also, when's GDC?

BY2K

Membero Americo
PHEW, that was a long 2 weeks ban. But now I'm back for the madness leading up to E3. Hopefully we get more tidbits more frequently as the date approaches. Also, when's GDC?

March 5-9. Just over a month. Hoping Nintendo has a keynote then.

It's pretty much ripped straight out of Twilight Princess but just better, how does that smell Retro in the least?

zelda_wii_ur1jyz.jpg

metroid-prime-tutoriacekse.jpg

1190294254737pxkaw.jpg

Crappy comparison I know but again, I can't explain it, so don't expect a more specific answer.
I think it has something to do with the browns and oranges. (or maybe my monitor needs calibration)

Beth Cyra

zelda_wii_ur1jyz.jpg

1190294254737pxkaw.jpg

Crappy comparison I know but, again, I can't explain it so don't expect a more specific answer.

Which is complete irrational given that place and those characters are from Twilight Princess including the Temple of Time.

There is zero reason to link Retro to that Demo in anyway.

Shion

Sigh...I have to hope for Retro and HOPE they take a more western approach to a Zelda game. Many will skin me alive for saying it. I loooove Skyward Sword but it feels very antiquated.

Completely agree.

Actually, I'd love to see Zelda following both approaches.

Two Zelda games per generation:
- One with a more western approach.
- One in Miyazaki style.

[/wishful thinking]

Didn't find anything on GAF about this news so sorry if it was already posted: not a big deal but according to French website LiveWii, High Voltage Software (Conduit 2) is developping for Wii U. Probably The Grinding, switched from Wii to Wii U...

Just checked the official studio website and found this...

platforms_dark4.jpg
That picture made me realize that the Wii U logo looks like the WiiWare logo, so some consumers may get confused. =\

v1oz

zelda_wii_ur1jyz.jpg

1190294254737pxkaw.jpg

Crappy comparison I know but again, I can't explain it, so don't expect a more specific answer.
I think it has something to do with the browns and oranges. (or maybe my monitor needs calibration)

The colour palette is exactly the same. Its like the same art team produced both.

Akai

What exactly would a "Western" approach to Zelda even entail? Because if you are thinking Retro would turn Zelda into Skyrim then it wouldn't happen. Hell, Metroid Prime and DKCR don't even feel "Western," they feel like pure-blooded Nintendo games like they are supposed to...

Retro had nothing to do with that Zelda demo.
They are not working on Zelda (or, if they are, it's not their main project right now), that much has been made clear.

That Zelda demo was likely made by a small team within EAD.
It's the Nature Demo that is far more intriguing as to who was behind it.

Retro had nothing to do with that Zelda demo.
They are not working on Zelda (or, if they are, it's not their main project right now), that much has been made clear.

That Zelda demo was likely made by a small team within EAD.

Clears things up.

Cheers

BY2K

Membero Americo
I swear to God, I didn't knew port begging was forbidden to a certain degree.

The rules should be updated or something. I hate non-written rules. :(

The amount of times I subconciously clicked 'Post Reply' and then cried a little. :(

Right?!
My year long banning was pure torture.
Gotta be careful from now on.

I swear to God, I didn't knew port begging was forbidden to a certain degree.

The rules should be updated or something. I hate non-written rules. :(

It's more that certain types of port begging is bannable.
If a Mod feels that it derails or will derail a topic, then they can ban you.
Just saying "I'd like to see Game X on System Y" probably won't get you banned, though.

Darksiders II is confirmed for PS3/360/PC release in June, which based on Vigil's comments last year about the game releasing around the same time as Wii U, seems to indicate that Nintendo had indeed planned on launching in Q2 of this year as of last E3.

Darksiders II is confirmed for PS3/360/PC release in June, which based on Vigil's comments last year about the game releasing around the same time as Wii U, seems to indicate that Nintendo had indeed planned on launching in Q2 of this year as of last E3.

More than likely, yes.
Much like they had originally planned for a holiday 2010 launch for the 3DS.
But things change, games take longer than anticipated, they want to have more services and features avaliable.
It's just the nature of the industry.

This.

The Zelda demo was nice to look at, with the different lighting and stuff, but that Nature Demo has something perticulair about it.

Stil wondering about the City Footage that some people got to see behind closed doors.....

BY2K

Membero Americo

Last week, Iwata said more around the holidays. Like Q4 2012. Which explains why the planning doesn't mention the Wii U. Same goes for Metro: Last Light. The game was said to come to the Wii U, yet the planning doesn't mention that version and it's coming out in 2013.

Right?!
My year long banning was pure torture.
Gotta be careful from now on.

It's more that certain types of port begging is bannable.
If a Mod feels that it derails or will derail a topic, then they can ban you.
Just saying "I'd like to see Game X on System Y" probably won't get you banned, though.
Oh God, a YEAR? that must have been terrible man...

And yeah, can't find the post now, but it was in the RE6 forum, jokingly moaned about the lack of a Wii U logo... Didn't even think it would get me a ban. Was very shocked when I logged on the next day!

Last week, Iwata said more around the holidays. Like Q4 2012. Which explains why the planning doesn't mention the Wii U. Same goes for Metro: Last Light. The game was said to come to the Wii U, yet the planning doesn't mention that version and it's coming out in 2013.

Well, he said before the holidays.

The distinction might not make a difference, but it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom