• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnia

Is it also possible that after 5 years or so of PS360/PC development, some devs are optimized for that scenario and just don't have/didn't plan for the time or resources (man power, budget, etc) required to build/port another SKU, especially once development has passed a certain point?

Very much so, they could always pass the buck to an outside contracted developer, but I don't think any of us want that.

lednerg

It would be an excellent opportunity to announce the name change. Do it Nintendo! Your shareholders will thank you for alleviating the brand confusion.

Very good point. They're going to have to talk about the upcoming system during the meeting, obviously. So if there is going to be a name change, they will have to either let them know it will happen, or just come out with what the new name is. If they are still referring to it as the Wii U during the meeting, I think we can safely assume it is the final name.

Redford

aka Cabbie
At least redesign the awful logo. That was the only thing that threw me off at E3, since I expected them to keep the Wii branding.

I think a case change is more likely than a name change at this point. Keeping the Wii brand is a smart move. The diehard Nintendo fans will groan but accept it and those precious casuals will get the "?" when they hear about it. Soon enough they'll realize it's a new system and they'll need it to get the latest Wii games.

The case, on the other hand, just plain sucks. It will confuse consumers over the power capabilities of the system, especially with the Wii's lack of graphical prowess fresh in their minds and the likely lack of visual flare w/ certain "Wii" brand titles and lackluster 3rd party ports.

quick question, was it ever confirmed that the wiiu would have region free., or region locked?

"Nintendo"

I think a case change is more likely than a name change at this point. Keeping the Wii brand is a smart move. The diehard Nintendo fans will groan but accept it and those precious casuals will get the "?" when they hear about it. Soon enough they'll realize it's a new system and they'll need it to get the latest Wii games.

The case, on the other hand, just plain sucks. It will confuse consumers over the power capabilities of the system, especially with the Wii's lack of graphical prowess fresh in their minds and the likely lack of visual flare w/ certain "Wii" brand titles and lackluster 3rd party ports.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It would be very helpful for the Wii U system itself to look striking in some non-terrible way.

Well they have been listening to the fans a lot more lately... maybe they will change it.

I think the Wii U name is just okay, but the fan suggestions, like Ultra Gunpei Yokoi Entertainment System or Super Wii or even Wii 2 would fare worse in the marketplace imo. Like Cabbie said, the most offf-putting thing about Wii U is actually the logo

botty

Banned
I think Wii 2 (or Tuu like BP said) are good names for the console. 2 could be for two ways to play, two screens, and other "2" things. 2 also let's the market know that the console is the sequel to last generations most popular console.

I'd welcome this. I can get used to the name, I can't get used to the awful hardware design.

BlackJace

Some of you guys must understand that simply the name "Wii" puts a lot of people off. Say the name around them and they have epileptic visions of Wii Music, Wii Sports, and all around kiddie shit.

The qualms about brand confusion are also correct. Believe it or not, people will walk into a Gamestop and ask for a U add-on to their Wii.

HylianTom

Banned
Some of you guys must understand that simply the name "Wii" puts a lot of people off. Say the name around them and they have epileptic visions of Wii Music, Wii Sports, and all around kiddie shit.

The qualms about brand confusion are also correct. Believe it or not, people will walk into a Gamestop and ask for a U add-on to their Wii.
As much as I bash these folks for not paying attention, there are enough of them that you're right.. a new name would be nice - but a huge ad campaign (on the level of the "Wii would like to play" campaign) would be asolutely necessary.

Nintendo can't worry about everyone and every scenario.

It's their vision, sure it has to be marketable and make sense business-wise but it's their baby and they are going to name it what they believe in.

I'd say the Wii name attracts more interest than repels it, can't win with everyone.

That's where the games and controller come in...

BlackJace

As much as I bash these folks for not paying attention, there are enough of them that you're right.. a new name would be nice - but a huge ad campaign (on the level of the "Wii would like to play" campaign) would be asolutely necessary.

Right. They did pretty well with the 3DS at first with the demo stations in Japan.

But at the end of the day, the 3DS is just "DS" with a 3 tacked on, and the Wii U is just "Wii" with a "U" tacked on. People will tend to overlook this I'm afraid.

Which is why (Nintendo listen up) E3 needs to be nothing less than megaton after megaton after megaton of information. The more we know, the more we have to tell our buddies, who will tell their buddies, and just like that, the Wii U hype is spreading.

And they'll be presented with a full system, take it or leave it. Wii U is more than a name. It reveals their entire philosophy with the system. Nintendo are reaching out more to the hardcore gamer, but not at the expense of the casual. To assume that all of their audience on Wii was swayed to Kinect and wouldn't come back is foolish. The Kinect games haven't been all that good. I have it.

Anth0ny

And they'll be presented with a full system, take it or leave it. Wii U is more than a name. It reveals their entire philosophy with the system. Nintendo are reaching out more to the hardcore gamer, but not at the expense of the casual. To assume that all of their audience on Wii was swayed to Kinect and wouldn't come back is foolish. The Kinect games haven't been all that good. I have it.

By calling it the fucking Wii, they really aren't.

By calling it the fucking Wii, they really aren't.

Games mean more than a name.

You really think hardcore gamers would flock to the system if it was called "Super Nintendo Bitchsplitter 9000"???

It's still Nintendo and they'll always have that negativity from the """""""hardcore""""""" gamers.

Anth0ny

Hence the second part of that sentence, my friend.

But they aren't reaching out to the "hardcore gamer" at all if they keep that name. Wii is synonymous with outdated performance and casual, kiddy/soccer mom shovelware.

Of course, we know better, but a huge amount of consumers (read: COD players) don't.

Games mean more than a name.

You really think hardcore gamers would flock to the system if it was called "Super Nintendo Bitchsplitter 9000"???

It's still Nintendo and they'll always have that negativity from the """""""hardcore""""""" gamers.

Nintendo 64 did just fine. Keeping the Wii name will get them nowhere.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I agree with Anth0ny on this one, just by having the name "Wii" in it, it's gonna hurt its image when presented to core gamers.

Right. They did pretty well with the 3DS at first with the demo stations in Japan.

But at the end of the day, the 3DS is just "DS" with a 3 tacked on, and the Wii U is just "Wii" with a "U" tacked on. People will tend to overlook this I'm afraid.

Which is why (Nintendo listen up) E3 needs to be nothing less than megaton after megaton after megaton of information. The more we know, the more we have to tell our buddies, who will tell their buddies, and just like that, the Wii U hype is spreading.

Yeah. Just adding a number is why the PS2 failed.

Look, I don't really like it either, but they are relying on at least a decent fraction of that "Wii" audience to upgrade. They rely more on them than any prospective "hardcore" gamer that needs to be swayed from 360 or PS3. If they can win back a few Nintendo "turncoats" they'll be in a good place next gen as long as they keep the titles coming and the prices down.

Bizzity

Not to disagree too much with the wii-name hate, but I know at least a few 'hardcore' CoD popular game players that got an xbox 360 after a ps2. Why? Nothing to do with any perception of the original xbox, just because it had the games, the advertising, and a good launch window. I think keeping the wii moniker is good for casuals and sales. However, I do not think that CoD, popular game playing 'hardcores' will run away if they are advertised to and their friends/coworkers/family are able to tell them about the graphics and the experience. It's all about marketing.

EDIT: For example, they could run standard Nintendo commercials on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Prime Time family friendly programming, and then push for the Wii U logo in prominence when commercials run on Spike TV, MTV, whatever 'hip', 'edgy', network that appeals to the 'hardcore' market. There's no reason Nintendo and the Wii brand can't have both sides, it appeals to both, each side just needs to see what the want.

So Nintendo created this huge selling iconic brand "Wii" and now they should throw that all away to gain a niche audience who left them a long time ago???

Great business sense.

I'd much rather they name it what they want to name it and try to appease the crowd that left them somewhat with a good variety of titles that attract these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom