• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I'd like to see them go back to the Mario 64/Sunshine style. I thought 3D Land was pretty similar to the Galaxy style, except there were no planetoids. That linear style works for portable Marios, Super Mario Galaxy 3D would be cool.

Bring on Super Mario Universe. 15 levels, 7 stars per level.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm listening to IGN's podcast while i'm typing this...
Jesus Christ... it's like listening to Beavis and Butthead, except not humorous. pfffff.

There's a reason I don't partake anymore. The joy is gone

Not a coincidence that there a handful of better Nintendo-centered podcasts that are now available to satisfy one's Nintendo listening demands.

HylianTom

Banned
Me neither. I guarantee if MS or Sony, at the last minute said they were going to announce something, 99% of the gaming media would drop Nintendo like a stone and their sites would be all "the real next-gen is coming!"

It's like we share a brain sometimes, Azak, y'know that? :)

And I can only imagine the media's reaction if one of the other two were to exit the industry someday.

In fact, I can hear the crying now: "IT.. IT.. IT SHOULD'VE BEEN NINTENDO! IT'S NOT FAIR! {*sob*sob*}"

I'd rather they used the 3D series for open world, Mario 64-style design, and keep a 2D series alongside for the tight platforming action.

Thing is, their last three Mario games were generally tight, and they sold well. The most recent was even tighter than the prior two, and it was at one point the fastest selling Mario game in history. The much more open game before those three tanked, comparatively. This isn't really a fair comparison, as it's two popular systems versus one unpopular system, but that's what the recent history is, and they're likely to go by that.

edit: The above paragraph is about just the 3D Mario series, as in Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land.

HylianTom

Banned
there isn't a lot to speculate on, but there's more than you think.

How's that for an answer.

Not only that, but there are a few thousand opinions on any one given topic of speculation. And some of those discussions can get remarkably heated.

Interestingly enough, it's been quite a while since we've had a big, nasty family fight. I think the recent trolls have brought things together a bit, honestly.

(Viewtiful, I really quite like your new avatar.)

GDGF

Soothsayer
…huh, maybe I remembered something that never existed.

Closest I can find on short notice is this patent and this interview with Miyamoto, neither definitive announcements.

However, I think you can bank on it having a stand. It has to charge some way, and the 3DS has already paved the way for having a first-party charging cradle sold for Nintendo hardware.

I got an Archos 101 Turbo tablet a few weeks ago (and I love it)

It has a kickstand on the back (like a bicycle). Such a simple solution. I'm surprised no other tablet manufacturers use it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
When was the last time we saw the inside of Peach's castle in 3d?
In Mario Kart 7 I believe. Though if you mean in a Super Mario platform game, I believe it was in Super Mario 64 DS (not counting the Virtual Console release of Super Mario 64).

I'd rather they go back to tight level design. Galaxy was a step in the right direction except for levels like the Honeybee ones.

I loved Mario 64, but it was a product of its time, and we don't need to revisit that level design again. Platforming challenges, being funneled forward, occasional secrets along the way, that makes a Mario game.

Mario 64 was a bold experiment in 3D game design that worked out astoundingly and set the pace for almost all third-person 3D games from then on. Galaxy was a better Mario game.

I disagree because of one of your "positives". I felt both Galaxy games were a bit too linear and still to this day prefer Mario 64's more open world approach. Drop me in a level and let me figure out what to do to get the star. Galaxy had too much "run forward, do light platforming challenges, run forward" for my tastes.

I still think Mario 64 is the best 3D Mario, regardless of nostalgia.

radcliff

Bring on Super Mario Universe. 15 levels, 7 stars per level.

UGH! I hope not. Why would anyone want to play the same levels over and over again? It curbs creativity and becomes monotonous. I can see maybe a second runthorugh a level to find hidden exits/secrets, etc., but 7 times through a level is too much IMO. I prefer Mario World style- large number of levels with optional runthroughs.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I disagree because of one of your "positives". I felt both Galaxy games were a bit too linear and still to this day prefer Mario 64's more open world approach. Drop me in a level and let me figure out what to do to get the star. Galaxy had too much "run forward, do light platforming challenges, run forward" for my tastes.

My thoughts exactly.

Oddly enough, that's one of the reasons I disliked Resident Evil 5 compared to Resident Evil 4 (even though both are quite linear in general, 5 is pretty rigid about it, while 4 gives a lot more breathing room and has more backtracking), even though I have absolutely no problem with it when it comes to Mario.

HylianTom

Banned

Is there anyone out there who has loved all of the Mario games to the point where they haven't thought about it that much? I have just loved all of them, and when I hear that one of any kind is coming, I get very giddy!

I also prefer 64/sunshine style with some adjustments, but honestly I don't even care because there is no "bad" mario style imo. It's all awesome.

Is there anyone out there who has loved all of the Mario games to the point where they haven't thought about it that much? I have just loved all of them, and when I hear that one of any kind is coming, I get very giddy!

I loved SMB2US. Have at you!

SMB2JP was pretty terrible, imho

Both games were awesome. Bot took what was crazy about Truck, amped it up and added a crazy online mode. I could understand being turned off/scared by bugs but the game was solid.

Yeah, the selling point of the Excite series isn't exactly realism. It's nutty tricks and suddenly deforming terrain (which I was happy to see made its way to the Mario Kart series).

Roo

I left two days and when I come back, there's a new thread with over 1000 posts... you guys are crazy.

btw... I just read about RE6 not hitting Wii U "at this time"....
I didn't see that one coming :(
actually.. I did... how shocking =/

I'm talkin' about just mainline Mario games. Guess I should've chosen my words more carefully. It's a bad habit of mine. *blush*

I'm also a rare fan of Super Paper Mario and have not played the real Paper Mario games. Go ahead, take a shot, I know you want to!

I swear I'll get around to them -- I've heard that they're amazing, but I jumped on SPM because I really, really generally don't like turn based RPGs.

BurntPork

Banned
Hey, what if the reason they chose to skip Gamescom is because they're planning an earlier launch for Wii U and felt the August is too close to launch for it to be the first showing in Europe?

Anyway, I'm sure Wii U third-party games will be at Gamescom

HylianTom

Banned
I'm also a rare fan of Super Paper Mario and have not played the real Paper Mario games. Go ahead, take a shot, I know you want to!

I swear I'll get around to them -- I've heard that they're amazing, but I jumped on SPM because I really, really generally don't like turn based RPGs.

Neither do I. The idea of a monster standing there, saying, "umm.. okay.. it's your turn to hit me now" seems very silly and off-putting for some reason.

Doesn't mean it can't be tight. But it probably means it won't be the tightest.

Why? The only thing that makes the platforming different in Galaxy compared to the segments in 64 is that you have nowhere else to go.

Being forced down a line doesn't add anything to the gameplay, it just takes away. If you are a focused player, you will go straight for the goal, if not you can take your time and explore the level.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Neither do I. The idea of a monster standing there, saying, "umm.. okay.. it's your turn to hit me now" seems very silly and off-putting for some reason.

I liked them mostly because they brought ALOT of character to the Mario universe, since everyone actually talks.

Reason I love Demon's more than Dark, I enjoy perfecting a somewhat linear gauntlet with a clear beginning-middle-end and becoming a expert at every turn. Same premise applies to Mario games. So I'm more of a fan of Galaxy/3DL than 64/Sunshine.

Linkhero1

How awesome would it be to get a new Igavania on the Wii U?
Too bad it won't happen :(

I'm a huge Paper Mario fan and I enjoyed SPM. I'm replaying through Paper Mario 64 and it has reminded me how awesome this series is.

HylianTom

Banned
I mean, if I had to name a favorite 3D Mario game it would probably be SMG2. But not because it's opened or closed.. more because I love the platforming situations I'm placed into.

I loved Sunshine, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom