• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time we had NO LEAKS at all a few weeks prior to E3 for a new hardware?
I DEMAND TO BE SURPRISED TO YAMAUCHI-HELL and back.

Nintendo booth is going to be a freaking fortress before E3 opens the gates.
There will be leaks.... and they will start soon.... lol

Anth0ny

I cannot give a honest opinion because I never really got into the game. It just didn't age to well and by today's standards it feels just a bit outdated. I felt a bit lost in the levels. So for a real judgement I can only take SMS's controls into consideration - comparing those to the ones in SMG I did not miss anything. The 360° move or the side-jump wouldn't have added anything.

"It didn't age well because I never really got into the game and got lost in the levels."

SM64 has aged flawlessly, a lot of people just suck at the game. Once you get perfect control of Mario and the camera, it becomes the best Mario game of all time.

"It didn't age well because I never really got into the game and got lost in the levels."

SM64 has aged flawlessly, a lot of people just suck at the game. Once you get perfect control of Mario and the camera, it becomes the best Mario game of all time.

Now see, Anthony, you were doing so well...

Goddamnit, man

NeoRausch

I... I really don't know.

i love sm64 but i wouldn't say i particulary aged flawlessly.

Shiggy

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/timothy-wilson/4/a7/87

3d Artist, Designer at Freelance Environment Artist
World Artist/Level Designer at Escalation Studios
Environmental Art Lead at Gearbox Software

Are those new Duke Nukem Forever screens on that website?

Some people also think that Mario Kart 64 did age well, or 1080° Snowboarding did. They just didn't, they are awful to look at.

The game might've been great at its time, but there are far better games once you filter your retro feelings. The Throwback Galaxy in SMG2 showed how bland that particular N64 level was, even though it only was a single mission.

Mistle

I'm replaying Sunshine right now and Mario controls so much better than the Galaxy games (which I love, don't get me wrong). Maybe it's the sense of weight, or the perfect GameCube pad, but it just feels tighter.

I really hope the next 3D Mario game returns to big open worlds again too.. I've kind of got tired of the linear Galaxy style.

When was the last time we had NO LEAKS at all a few weeks prior to E3 for a new hardware?
I DEMAND TO BE SURPRISED TO YAMAUCHI-HELL and back.

Nintendo booth is going to be a freaking fortress before E3 opens the gates.

They won't be at E3. Instead they will drive a Truck through the US to have dedicated events^^

Woah woah.

Retro hired someone from id that worked on RAGE?

o_O

They even have a former Bethesda Software engineer.

All is lost.

HylianTom

Banned
Ok, i have 16 pages to catch-up.

A bit tired to read all for the first time, someone can grant me a nice summary with a hot chocolate & a pain aux raisins à la bonne crème patissière ? :gifofaprettycasanovadoingaravagingsmilewithmintbreath:

You've missed not much.

Miyamoto expressed interesting in doing F-Zero.

The time that you mentioned being surprised by the amount of RAM in the system came-up.

We talked about some of our favorite Britcoms (Keeping Up Appearances seems particularly popular around here, which is a pleasant surprise.)

There was some discussion about what constitutes a mainline Mario game..
.. which led to a discussion about 3D Mario game mechanics, and favorite 3D Mario games.

Also debated: which third party will be the next to use a cheesy bullshit excuse?

One particularly hot topic was themnews that Nintendo will not be present for a German gaming convention (gamescom,I think?). The consequences and implications of this were passionately discussed.

That's all I can remember for now. Cheers!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
You've missed not much.

The time that you mentioned being surprised by the amount of RAM in the system came-up.

We talked about some of our favorite Britcoms (Keeping Up Appearances seems particularly popular around here, which is a pleasant surprise.)

There was some discussion about what constitutes a mainline Mario game..
.. which led to a discussion about 3D Mario game mechanics, and favorite 3D Mario games.

Also debated: which third party will be the next to use a cheesy bullshit excuse?

One particularly hot topic was themnews that Nintendo will not be present for a German gaming convention (gamescom,I think?). The consequences and implications of this were passionately discussed.

Lol... how did I miss the britcom talk..... Mrs Bucket will not be pleased

Shiggy

I'm replaying Sunshine right now and Mario controls so much better than the Galaxy games (which I love, don't get me wrong). Maybe it's the sense of weight, or the perfect GameCube pad, but it just feels tighter.

I really hope the next 3D Mario game returns to big open worlds again too.. I've kind of got tired of the linear Galaxy style.

The big worlds design may result in the problem of bad/stupid missions again. This became evident in SMS, which also had worlds that were nice to look at but not much more.

I... I really don't know.

i love sm64 but i wouldn't say i particulary aged flawlessly.

I'd really like an updated version of the Mario head from the beginning of that game to pop onto the DRC screen when the next 3D Mario game starts. The camera can make the face turn with yours and match your facial expressions, so you end up with a "Mario Mirror" of sorts.

HylianTom

Banned
I read the all the time. What does DRC mean? What did i miss???
how could i ever miss something in this threads? They are so easy to follow! *cries*

No they're not.

One moment, we're talking about the timing of Mario's jump with regards to a button press.
The next moment, we're discussing a sister who has enough room at her house for a pony and a mercedes.
(err.. dp. sorry about that)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
IdeaMan, when you said that 720p+controller is the most likely set-up for Wii U games, do you know if that's 30FPS or 60FPS?

For the projects of my sources, it's roughly 30 fps, in a V4 dev kit context with complex scenes rendered on the 480 padlet.

But it was in a certain step in development, before the arrival of "v5" dev kits, 2 SDK revisions before the currently available one, etc, etc. So you'll have like 4 or 5 layers of more optimizations/refinements/overall increase before release. Now, will they choose to run their game at, let's say, 45 fps, or go for 25/30 fps but with a lot of nice FX, and neat image quality with good amount of anti-aliasing and texture-filtering, from what i've heard, it clearly tends toward the latter case.

Again, the situation could be different for first-party titles, tailored from the beginning to the Wii U particularities, it may depend on the game also, less intricate geometry/scenery/demanding effects for 60 fps (party games, sports, etc.), and 30 fps for a content focused on solo campaign, etc.

Shiggy

Platformers are all about how you move through the level, so the more moves you have, the better your arsenal. The way you can chain together moves in these games is an art form in itself.

I, and it looks like Nintendo do so too, see controls more from a functional perspective. They should be intuitive and accessible. If there's no particular use to a certain move (as the side-jump in SMG), then just cut it. If you think it works particularly well for a specific stage, then let it stay, but only if it doesn't make things more complicated and is redundant, as with the M64 punch.

The most successful titles have the most accessible and intuitive controls.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
You've missed not much.

wat

One of my dream come true ?!

Please, Nintendo, if you are around, i beg you, enroll me to sing a hard-rock/trance main theme !

Anth0ny

Now see, Anthony, you were doing so well...

Goddamnit, man

If it makes you feel any better, Mario World is a close second, followed by Galaxy 2.

I've pumped over 1000 hours into Mario 64. I'm playing the Virtual Console version right now. Only Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and SSBM surpass it on my GOAT list. Mario World is top 10, Galaxy 2 is top 20.

Some people also think that Mario Kart 64 did age well, or 1080° Snowboarding did. They just didn't, they are awful to look at.

The game might've been great at its time, but there are far better games once you filter your retro feelings. The Throwback Galaxy in SMG2 showed how bland that particular N64 level was, even though it only was a single mission.

The Throwback Galaxy in SMG2 was bland because it was a bland, lazy re-imagining of the stage. Not to mention I was forced navigate through it with Galaxy Mario and the sluggish controls that come with him. With 64 Mario, that stage is an absolute blast.

I, and it looks like Nintendo do so too, see controls more from a functional perspective. They should be intuitive and accessible. If there's no particular use to a certain move (as the side-jump in SMG), then just cut it. If you think it works particularly well for a specific stage, then let it stay, but only if it doesn't make things more complicated and is redundant, as with the M64 punch.

You're right. That's fine and well, but I'll call 3D Land to the stand. It's basic controls are all intuitive and accessible, but you can pull off impressive moves that aren't necessarily required. That's what I'm talking about.

You can complete the game completely with just running and jumping, but it's there for the more advanced players. If you don't feel the need, or know how to use them, then that's fine too.

So, it's possible to keep extra moves functional and intuitive.

Aguila

#ICONIC

Mario Sunshine Mario definitely controls much different than the other 3D Marios. I think it's because his actions aren't as drawn out as in other games; his reflexes seem faster. Maybe they did that to make up for the time he spends standing still with his FLUDD contraption.

But, yeah, I would also love for the next mario to return to the 64/sunshine world designs.

Gamescon is no where even close to the same league as E3, so don't even start that.

... I'm just saying Gamescom would also be a lot cheaper and still reach millions (you know with pretty much all European and US game journos being there in some capacity), than driving a Bus through Europe with a total of 4 WiiU demo stations (maybe they can beg Iwata to give them a fifth, but then they would need to give up their bonus payments this year)

Maybe NOE actually manages to hook up WiiU demo stations with an HDMI cable and set the display options to 720p or even 480p. That would be something.

Anth0ny

You're right. That's fine and well, but I'll call 3D Land to the stand. It's basic controls are all intuitive and accessible, but you can pull off impressive moves that aren't necessarily required. That's what I'm talking about.

You can complete the game completely with just running and jumping, but it's there for the more advanced players. If you don't feel the need, or know how to use them, then that's fine too.

I love the rolling long jump in 3D Land. I'm playing through all the stages with Mario again to get the golden flags, and I rolling long jump everywhere. I don't think its use is actually required at any single point in the game lol

Shiggy

The Throwback Galaxy in SMG2 was bland because it was a bland, lazy re-imagining of the stage. Not to mention I was forced navigate through it with Galaxy Mario and the sluggish controls that come with him. With 64 Mario, that stage is an absolute blast.

It basically was the same as in SM64, didn't have more fun in that title as it even had a worse camera. The level was just outright boring.

Haven't played Mario 3D Land yet, but I found the SMS controls a bit unintuitive with shooting water and grabbing things (e.g. tentacles). The game might've greatly benefitted from a Wii make-over. A better camera might've also helped...

... I'm just saying Gamescom would also be a lot cheaper and still reach millions (you know with pretty much all European and US game journos being there in some capacity), than driving a Bus through Europe with a total of 4 WiiU demo stations (maybe they can beg Iwata to give them a fifth, but then they would need to give up their bonus payments this year)

Maybe NOE actually manages to hook up WiiU demo stations with an HDMI cable and set the display options to 720p or even 480p. That would be something.

Again, you're making this sound like it's entirely a money issue that they aren't at Gamescon. They obviously feel it's not worth their time.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Maybe we can move them via SD card? Here's a shot of what's under the flap..

WiiUFlap.png

See

It's like the SD slot is the Wii U smiling at all these "on par" rumors from last weeks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom