• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this means midnight releases for first party Nintendo games. You'd think EB Games would throw an event once and a while... but no.

I imagine it will mean the exact opposite!

It will probably function much the same way digital Vita releases do. On the day of digital releases, they will release that game.

Probably will have a Steam-style pre-buy, though.

HylianTom

Banned
So wait, wii u still uses wii remotes? This is so confusing... :mad:
Yep! The Wii U will make use of both the uPad and the Wii remote, depending on the setting. It could be where one or two players use uPads for their roles in a game, while other players use the Wiimotes to play their roles. Many possibilities..

guek

Banned
I'm still holdin out a bit of hope that nintendo puts out an improved wiimote. Frankly it'd be stupid of them not to do it...

PogiJones

Banned
Everyone talks about how Nintendo won't reveal the price at E3, but IIRC the official transcript said that both the price AND the release date will not be revealed. I guess no one cares about the release date bit except me?

Roo

It's really not that simple. There's probably a piece of logic that takes one 854x480 video stream and two audio channels, encodes everything and gives it to the wireless adapter. I don't think that encoder has any direct connection to the CPU, so it wouldn't be possible to feed it with additional data in the first place. If Nintendo wants to support two or more pads, they'd need two or more encoders, and a DSP outputting one stereo pair per encoder (or switch to mono if there's more than one pad, but as soon as they'd exceed two pads, the other pads would be either silent or Nintendo would need a different DSP). It would increase the complexity quite a bit, and would be very rarely used. Maybe they'll add a second one, but I certainly wouldn't expect four encoders.

hypothetically speaking, if we ever get two Wii U controllers working at once, shouldn't wires fix this problem? I don't know how internal components work to make it possible but the only issue I see here is streaming content to the controller. Something like... "well, if you want to play with two WUC you have to plug both to the console."

Anyway, I never expected more than two since Iwata (or Miyamoto) said that two controllers were like pushing it.

HylianTom

Banned
I imagine it will mean the exact opposite!

It will probably function much the same way digital Vita releases do. On the day of digital releases, they will release that game.

Probably will have a Steam-style pre-buy, though.
I kinda wonder if there will ever be a combo deal, where we can get both a digital and a physical copy of a game, with the digital version coming at midnight and the physical copy being available later. You'd be able to take your physical copy with you to a friend's house, or to other locations... and preordering both versions would get the buyer a slight discount.

zbeeb

Everyone talks about how Nintendo won't reveal the price at E3, but IIRC the official transcript said that both the price AND the release date will not be revealed. I guess no one cares about the release date bit except me?

I suppose thats the case because they confirmed it'll hit US, EU, JPN, AUS in 2012.

MDX

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...ows-off-new-tech-rayman-legends-lush-graphics

weird

Really weird, it's conflicting with what i've heard. I'm pretty sure the dev kits, maybe at least from revision 3 (and more surely for revision 4), have the option to switch between wired and wireless mode. Now, maybe the DRC weren't wireless until a few months, but even then, it should be the case now. I could be wrong though, perhaps the dev kits themselves are ready for wireless communication with the DRC, but the DRC prototypes in possession of third-parties aren't.

New dev kits in June.
Can we expect "new" surprises that have been hidden from developers?
And an increase in power?

HylianTom

Banned
I'm still holdin out a bit of hope that nintendo puts out an improved wiimote. Frankly it'd be stupid of them not to do it...
This is one thing that has me holding-off on buying a new Wii remote or two. I'd love another backup gold Zelda Wiimote, but if there's something better coming, what's the point?

Now that I think of it.. I wonder if we'll ever get to see special edition uPads. I knkw they'd be expensive, but still.. I WANT! Gimmegimmegimme!

HylianTom

Banned
I always get to a point where I'm horribly obsessed over the release date. Gotta get my time off request in as early as possible.

I'm still betting on November 18th.

zbeeb

slightly off-topic. But I've always wondered with regards to dev kits:

How does the revision process work? If a company buys a devkit and nintendo issues a new revision, does the kit get replaced/upgraded/whatever free of charge? Or does another dev kit have to be purchased?

Nibel

I think they announced the price for the Wii in 2006 via an investor conference and Famitsu reported it then - May 2006 I think.

Don't remember what happend with the 3DS price though.. wasn't it revealed at E3?

Medalion

Banned
There was a rumor about a redesigned wiimote that had a small builtin display

This was around the time about Sonic coming to Wii-U last year

HylianTom

Banned
It was on this day in 2006 when the Nintendo Revolution was renamed the Wii.

Nintendo said:
Introducing… Wii.

As in “we.”

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games… and each other. But you’re probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like “we,” which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive “ii” spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that’s Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it’s really not about you or me. It’s about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

And though I harbor nothing but loathing for the {*censored*} at 1Up, here's their reaction roundtable:
What Do We Think About Wii?
http://www.1up.com/news/wii_2

Here's CNN Money's article about the name change:
Nintendo Goes 'Wii' ... (not a typo)
http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/27/commentary/game_over/nintendo/index.htm?cnn=yes

And some graphics:
wiilogonuevo.jpg

Then, even though I don't care for IGN either, courtesy of the place you Go to for Nintendo news, here are some excerpts from an IGN Insider roundtable discussion:
IGN said:
Chris Roper, IGN PlayStation: Nintendo is ******* retarded. That is all.

Juan Castro, IGN PSP: At this point, I’m not sure it matters if Nintendo’s new system has a cool name or not. They want to attract infants and the senile, not the PS3 crowd. At any rate, “Wii” is no more cracked-out than the “Revolution” concept itself.

Really, a wicked-cool name wouldn’t have made any sense. And in a way, “Wii” actually works. It’s a total, funkified gamble. Just like everything Nintendo is doing nowadays.

Erik Harte, IGN Video: Seriously, any last shred of cool that Nintendo had was just thrown out the window. I mean, the whole style, look, and feel of the Revolution, with it’s Mac-like color schemes, simplicity, and glowing blue light was very cool. But man, watch the Wii commercial. Not cool at all. Dammit Nintendo. You’re shooting yourself in the foot.

Daemon Hatfield, IGN News: …and just when i was starting to believe in Nintendo again…

(One of the two semi-nice ones…) Mark Nix, IGN Data: Nintendo needs to open up its E3 2006 press conference the same way PeeWee Herman opened up the MTV awards that one year … Heard any good jokes lately?

As ridiculous as it is hitting us now, however, I can feel the name growing on me in some small way already. Wii is at once a terrible name for a videogame console and a catchy name for a gaming sensation. How any of us will go into a store and ask for a game for the “Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!”, I have no idea, but the casual gamers turned off by this generation’s complex and expensive Xbox and PlayStation game systems will hopefully find the charm in a console that literally screams fun. Meanwhile, the dedicated fan boys have already coined a new pronounciation (the term “Wiise” has been coined), and some are still die-hard to stick Revolution stickers over the Wii logo when it hits stores. Wii is simple like iPod. Wii is cute like Aibo. Wii is … well, it’s no name for a game system, but it’s all Nintendo, and to many, Nintendo is gaming.

Of course, no matter how much it catches on, the jokes will never die.

And here are some comments from Matt's blog at IGN:
Matt-IGN said:
Honestly, I don’t really mind the name. I admit, it’s a bit odd to name a system after a word that traditionally describes people in plural, but I do like that it uses the controllers in the font and I like the message behind it.

I was really hoping for Nintendo Phoenix. It’s so much cooler. The symbolism. Rising from the ashes anew. Etc. But what’re ya gonna do?

And then, finally.. the NeoGAF reaction thread:
Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97127

Quite a momentous day in Nintendo history.. Happy Wii Day, folks! :D

Lol guys... imagine E3 2013

Watching the conference on the tv via NiN and posting on GAF with the pad!

WiiU is the ultimate E3 conference machine :D

M74

It'll be November at the latest.

Expect that.

The real question is, what's the earliest we could reasonably hope for?

Lol guys... imagine E3 2013

Watching the conference on the tv via NiN and posting on GAF with the pad!

WiiU is the ultimate E3 conference machine :D

I've always wanted streaming to our consoles for major conferences, Nintendo Directs, etc. It's been a missed opportunity. They should stream demos from the show floor to show off what's coming, and it would be a sign of good faith to 3rd parties to let them share in that direct contact with console owners.

HylianTom

Banned
Holy crap at those IGN statements and the GAF thread, Tom :lol
This is entertainment, wow :lol
Absolutely. The media reactions are delicious in that you could easily taste the venom coming from those who were rooting for Nintendo to fail - even before knowing all of the facts before E3 arrived. The attitude was there before the Wii arrived, and the Wii just made it more easily detectable.
So delicious that these {*censored*} had to eat crow about the console's sales success.. haha.. suckers!

As for the NeoGAF reaction thread.. it's the stuff of legends. I was looking forward to putting up this history lesson post all week long so that people could revel in its glory once again. :D

The real question is, what's the earliest we could reasonably hope for?
August would be really pushing things. September, perhaps? I think third parties probably want as much time as possible to polish their launch titles.

guek

Banned
I think they are satisfied with the Wii Remote Plus. No real need to improve upon that when they know most developers will use the Tablet.

Yeah, I think you're right, but it could still be improved. I know it probably wont be though.

Anywho, I started a new game of galaxy today and man, it's easy to forget how good this game really looks. Some sections definitely looks like your average wii game, but much of it is bafflingly beautiful. Bring on Super Mario Universe!

Glass Joe

Meh, console launches and games and hard drives are expensive. I'm kind of looking forward to the fact that I won't have to buy 3 controllers and save some coin. If they do have an "improved" one then cool but I'm happy it's not essential.

Absolutely. The media reactions are delicious in that you could easily taste the venom coming from those who were rooting for Nintendo to fail - even before knowing all of the facts before E3 arrived. The attitude was there before the Wii arrived, and the Wii just made it more easily detectable.
So delicious that these {*censored*} had to eat crow about the console's sales success.. haha.. suckers!

As for the NeoGAF reaction thread.. it's the stuff of legends. I was looking forward to putting up this history lesson post all week long so that people could revel in its glory once again. :D

August would be really pushing things. September, perhaps? I think third parties probably want as much time as possible to polish their launch titles.
Deja fuckin vu. Its kinda surreal how similar the reactions are.

edit: Last post in that thread is icing on the cake lol.

peter

Banned
Hey all,

Remember Craig Harris that worked for IGN? Well he works for SEGA now and is involved with Aliens: Colonial Marines and just had this to say about the Wii U...

“Nintendo… has to release hardware that’s of the expectations of the gamer today.” Craig also mentions, “… I don’t think we would be bringing the game to a system that would be inferior to current gen. (HD) systems.”

Source: The Mush Room Podcast

The quote comes in around the 41 mintute mark, but the whole Nintendo conversation is pretty good.

So we can finally forget the "on par with current gen" story . Yes.

Ideaman, is it possible to give us a summary of all the information you posted over all wiiu threads? It's almost impossible to follow all pages on this thread.

Rayman trailer wiiu controller - Really, That's Just a Sticker on the Wii U Controller

Is it a new feature? An infra-red camera perhaps?

The truth is nothing so exciting. Our sources in the development community have told us it's just a sticker, covering up a port used to update the controller's system software while the machine is still in development. Final retail controllers won't have the port nor, therefore, the sticker.

Also don't get too excited about the cable: we're told it's a coaxial cable connecting development hardware to the controller and that the final controller will, of course, be wireless.

So there you go — you can take your tinfoil hats off now.

Sadist

Oh great, AVATOR found his way to GAF. With old news facts as usual.

I first browsed GAF around that time. It was amazing.

Yeah, I think you're right, but it could still be improved. I know it probably wont be though.

If they improve the auto calibration programs, it should allready be leagues better than on the Wii. The biggest problem with the Wiimote, especially if Motion Plus was used, was the insane drift. Games like Red Steel2 used a neat instant calibration once the Wiimote had contact to the sensor bar, and I'd expect a similar calibration process being integrated into the OS this time. Seamless and unintrusive.

BurntPork

Banned
It's because the date is obvious. November 18th.

Deja fuckin vu. Its kinda surreal how similar the reactions are.

edit: Last post in that thread is icing on the cake lol.

Those reactions never really changed to be honest. It's just that they became desperate and cynical once the Wii hit main stream success. In essence it's still the same idiotic argument, just permutated with Nintendos dominance.
Now that Nintendo is starting with a new console, the old argument returns. It was the same with the 3DS really. Doom and gloom, after sales got better it shifted to "lol no games, lol kiddie trash"

The pinnacle of irony is when those people call out others as manbabies.
I guess each time the power of irony and the collective energy released by facepalms over that much lack of critical thinking is creating an alternate universe.

antonz

Yeah Date and Price are something they need to hold close to the chest for as long as possible this time more than any because they are launching a new console while 2 others are still very popular.

They both can have a price cut possible as its been awhile meaning if Nintendo speaks too soon their price tag becomes worse when Sony and MS suddenly cut $50 off their console prices. The price cuts will be coming anyways I am sure but if Nintendo speaks too soon then the others get to plan better. Though Sony and MS will likly know well before we do the actual date if it isnt the 18th

lednerg

Nintendo probably knows more about the launch date(s) than how they should price it. Nov 18th works great for the US, being right before Black Friday, but Japan and the other regions could get it on different dates. The price will be directly related to the general public opinion of the console following E3. They'll most likely be a bit less greedy than they were with the 3DS, where they mistook the massive lines at E3 as a justification to overcharge the system by at least $50.

Antioch

You know what one of the best E3 reveals ever would be? (And this one could well happen this year)

Reggie is going through the Wii U line-up, showing trailer after trailer, dropping megatons left and right, and then suddenly everything goes pitch black, no sound. People watching online will freak out because they'll be thinking they lost the stream, then suddenly...

"Deep into that darkness peering... long I stood there, wondering fearing, doubting..."

And then the trailer for Eternal Darkness 2 rolls, showing lots of really cool historical settings and unimaginable creatures. Obviously the game should be a graphical showcase for the Wii U, too.

You know what one of the best E3 reveals ever would be? (And this one could well happen this year)

Reggie is going through the Wii U line-up, showing trailer after trailer, dropping megatons left and right, and then suddenly everything goes pitch black, no sound. People watching online will freak out because they'll be thinking they lost the stream, then suddenly...

"Deep into that darkness peering... long I stood there, wondering fearing, doubting..."

And then the trailer for Eternal Darkness 2 rolls, showing lots of really cool historical settings and unimaginable creatures. Obviously the game should be a graphical showcase for the Wii U, too.

Graphical showcase? Silicon Knights? lol

IGN said:
Suddenly a 32 GB SDHC card doesn't seem as adequate. Though a handful of games would still fit on a SDHC card, it's clear that unless Nintendo expects gamers to only own 4-5 games, it needs to provide a hard drive solution. The publisher has already announced support for an external drive, connected via relatively slow USB 2.0 cables, but that hardly seems ideal considering consumers will be asked to purchase what would almost surely be an optional piece of hardware.
Considering how difficult it is to get tie ratios to 10, it seems the group who wants to buy 5+ Big Data type download games are the type who would be least bothered by buying some hard drive recommended by their favorite gaming forum.

BurntPork

Banned
Considering how difficult it is to get tie ratios to 10, it seems the group who wants to buy 5+ Big Data type download games are the type who would be least bothered by buying some hard drive recommended by their favorite gaming forum.

IGN: "Shut up! We need to bitch about something and we chose this, so we're damn well gonna bitch our asses off about it!"

udivision

Looking at the recent NFC threads and the Wii U in general, the Wii U seems to have the opposite problem of the Wii. With the Wii, everyone was dreaming up good or interesting ideas to use the Wiimote for even if they never really panned out. There was a lot of enthusiasm and big ideas.

The Wii Pad and NFC (so far major features of the WU) seem to invite mundane uses and it's hard to come up with anything exciting for the subscreen. Maybe that means devs will in turn come up with good ideas that will pan out, but I'm not all too hopeful.

:-/

test_account

XP-39C²
I've always wanted streaming to our consoles for major conferences, Nintendo Directs, etc. It's been a missed opportunity. They should stream demos from the show floor to show off what's coming, and it would be a sign of good faith to 3rd parties to let them share in that direct contact with console owners.
Sony actually did this for last year's E3 through Home. Unfortunately the sound and video was out of sync (at least for me, dont know it was a general problem), so i had to watch on PC instead. There was also a own E3 space where you could walk around and watch different trailers.

Looking at the recent NFC threads and the Wii U in general, the Wii U seems to have the opposite problem of the Wii. With the Wii, everyone was dreaming up good or interesting ideas to use the Wiimote for even if they never really panned out. There was a lot of enthusiasm and big ideas.

The Wii Pad and NFC (so far major features of the WU) seem to invite mundane uses and it's hard to come up with anything exciting for the subscreen. Maybe that means devs will in turn come up with good ideas that will pan out, but I'm not all too hopeful.

The big difference is, unlike the Wii Remote, we allready have proven uses of touch screens and gyro functionality for handheld devices. The novelty of the WiiU is more about convenience than it is about revolutionizing Man-machine interfaces. The same goes for NFC. It's about providing convenience first and foremost. Touchscreen interfaces have proven to be a widely accepted form of media and gaming interaction. Gyroscopes too have proven to be readily accepted by customers to be used in various entertainment applications.

With the Wiimote, there simply was nothing comparable to go by, so of course dreams and hopes ran rampant.

The WiiU is a refinement of those promises, similar to how the SNES was a refinement to the controls and interface introduced with the NES.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

The subscreen and NFC are more tangible features, ones people are more familiar with and whose applications are easy to understand. The Wiimote was less tangible and most of the things people dreamed up had big problems when applying to real gameplay, or the tech just wasn't up to it in the beginning.

That's not to say these things won't provide significant gameplay enhancements, or new games entirely, it's just working from a more generalised base than something that is 'this changes everything!'. It is a problem for Nintendo in how they communicate it, but the proof as always is in the pudding and if the games turn out more enjoyable then people will go for it. And I think Nintendo's strategy will be to show many titles with many uses of it.

The potential stumbling block for the subscreen is if, as said before, the limitation of just one remains because then you do throw out the main advantage of a private screen. Countless more things open up with more than 1. I really don't think the asymmetrical bandaid is going to fly that much. It plays against Nintendo's local multiplayer strength which is people sharing the same experience. As nice as Rayman looks it stuck out like a sore-thumb in the video.

On a side note to NFC, it should be noted that the system could write to the tags as well. You could do some quite interesting things with that, such as customise a figurine to do a specific attack. Even if you then gave it to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom