• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

So I've just remembered something fun about the MSX, and I'm wondering if some enterprising companies could use it with the Wii U's NFC.

MSX titles had an interesting quirk; the system had two cartridge slots. Generally you'd only be running a game from one slot - but any game has the ability to inspect the other slot. Konami in particular took advantage of this for a number of easter eggs.

For instance, having Nemesis in Slot 1 and TwinBee in Slot 2 turns Vic Viper into Twinbee and turns the powerup orbs into bells. Nemesis 2 does something very similar with Pengiun Adventure (and in turn, those are clear precursors to those characters' appearances in Parodius).

You can't really do such a crossover thing with Skylanders, simply because it's an additional peripheral and not part of the main hardware - but you *can* easily do that with the Wii U controller, because NFC is a standard function of the system.

Could we see easter egg cameos from using one title's NFC objects with a different (but probably related) title? It wouldn't particularly surprise me.

lherre

Accurate
wiiu_reldate6nu1n.jpg

From here. (a BNP Paribas report)

Do they know something we -or I if I'm late to the news again- don't? (though I doubt it if they "think" competitors won't launch anything in 2012)

I thought the "slogan" was "In Time For Year-End Holiday Season".

Or maybe just an error.

If you read carefully all the report ...

Regarding the titles that will be available around the time of the launch date, speculation and rumours are
rife; among third-party vendors, as of now it is already clear that Square Enix is readying a version of Final
Fantasy X for Wii U (also available for Wii),

So FINAL FANTASY X Confirmed !!!! XD (of course also available in Wii).

(obviously it is an error with Dragon quest X).

So I've just remembered something fun about the MSX, and I'm wondering if some enterprising companies could use it with the Wii U's NFC.

MSX titles had an interesting quirk; the system had two cartridge slots. Generally you'd only be running a game from one slot - but any game has the ability to inspect the other slot. Konami in particular took advantage of this for a number of easter eggs.

For instance, having Nemesis in Slot 1 and TwinBee in Slot 2 turns Vic Viper into Twinbee and turns the powerup orbs into bells. Nemesis 2 does something very similar with Pengiun Adventure (and in turn, those are clear precursors to those characters' appearances in Parodius).

You can't really do such a crossover thing with Skylanders, simply because it's an additional peripheral and not part of the main hardware - but you *can* easily do that with the Wii U controller, because NFC is a standard function of the system.

Could we see easter egg cameos from using one title's NFC objects with a different (but probably related) title? It wouldn't particularly surprise me.
Leaked Rayman Legends trailer for Wii U hinted at precisely this, with an Ezio statue.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
For me the funniest and most apt thread title suggestion was Skiesofwonder's 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'. Maybe it would be better for the last thread though.

mclem

Leaked Rayman Legends trailer for Wii U hinted at precisely this, with an Ezio statue.

I thought the implication there was that it was an Ezio statue *made for Rayman*, rather than an Ezio statue made for Assassin's Creed and used in Rayman. That is, I'd envisaged it as part of a "Ubisoft Legends for Rayman Legends" marketing campaign, or somesuch.

If it was an Ezio statue made for an explicit purpose in AC3 but was also usable in Rayman, that'd be brilliant. Let's hope we see more than a proof-of-concept at E3!

(And I'm sure this has been gone over already, but the Smash implications are incredible. Valve sells third-party games that give free game-related hats in TF2. There's little in theory stopping Nintendo doing something very similar.)

Edit: Would speculation thread 5 last until E3? If so, it might be cliched, but a "Dawn of the xth day, n hours remaining" title would seem appropriate.

E-phonk

Banned
I really love following the discussion/speculations here, although these last 5-10 pages were mostly title suggestions. Hopefully the new thread gives us more usefull stuff to talk about.

The NES os things is still interesting though, because having an SDK that is not devkit related for Upad apps, in a controlled separate environment would be huge.

For me the funniest and most apt thread title suggestion was Skiesofwonder's 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'. Maybe it would be better for the last thread though.
I'd say we will have much more freedom for the last one; this one is really fitting, no ones knows anything, it is a nightmare, but once E3 comes, it will be over

I guess you could take that from the Rayman video.

I think it's possible you could also take that as "look, these figurines work for Rayman in this cool way, just think of what will happen when you use them in a more serious title..."

Yeah, why then in a Rayman piece but that's what I got from it.

That's awesome, shmups are my favorite genre next to platformers and I would like to add an MSX system to my lineup someday. I have the Konami MSX collection for Saturn but it'd be sweet to have the actual console. Here are pics of my Vic Viper and Metarion gashapon for our NFC imagination:

P4030012.jpg

P4030014.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
I'd say we will have much more freedom for the last one; this one is really fitting, no ones knows anything, it is a nightmare, but once E3 comes, it will be over
Oh.. I think it just transforms to a different form after E3 is over. We'll have a cornucopia of information, and everyone is going to have their own spin on it. It's going to be annoying, uplifting, intriguing, exciting, and agonizing all at the same time.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I think about it, you're right. By thread six we should all be buzzing with hype and positive energy, and there might even be a good amount of leaks. Right now, the thought of yet another one of these threads and no news is a nightmare.

For your consideration: Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Nightmare Before Christmas

I thought the implication there was that it was an Ezio statue *made for Rayman*, rather than an Ezio statue made for Assassin's Creed and used in Rayman. That is, I'd envisaged it as part of a "Ubisoft Legends for Rayman Legends" marketing campaign, or somesuch.

If it was an Ezio statue made for an explicit purpose in AC3 but was also usable in Rayman, that'd be brilliant. Let's hope we see more than a proof-of-concept at E3!
I'm guessing the AC3 Wii U special edition will come with an Ezio or Connor statue with an inbuilt NFC chip.

(And I'm sure this has been gone over already, but the Smash implications are incredible. Valve sells third-party games that give free game-related hats in TF2. There's little in theory stopping Nintendo doing something very similar.)

Edit: Would speculation thread 5 last until E3? If so, it might be cliched, but a "Dawn of the xth day, n hours remaining" title would seem appropriate.
Talking about skylanders I was thinking about a skylanders Wii U version yesterday.

And I still think V is the last of the speculation threads.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Rösti;37553577 said:
I'll post the new thread when we start nearing post 19975.
Call it The Nightmare Before Christmas and make up for the bland title for thread IV beating out A New Hype!

ElFly

Saw the thread jump in a few pages overnight.

Thought some kind of info had leaked.

Nope, just discussing the next thread name.

gg

My proposal.

Wii U Speculation thread V: deciding the name of the thread VI.

Oh.. I think it just transforms to a different form after E3 is over. We'll have a cornucopia of information, and everyone is going to have their own spin on it. It's going to be annoying, uplifting, intriguing, exciting, and agonizing all at the same time.
For the last one I already reserve the suggestion : "Big Bang Theory"

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

I've written about this idea in this post and this one

It would be so fun to have such secrete combinations :)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
And I still think V is the last of the speculation threads.
How can it be? IV lasted three weeks. Even with big leaks drawing posters to separate threads, I can't see this one lasting less.
After E3, I'd want it to be:
Wii U Post-E3 Thread of Hyper-analysis: Suck it, haters - Nintendo's Here to Stay!

But that might be a poor-judgement move..
Might? The thread would be a a mess before the first page was filled.

Nibel

I swear by god if the next OP is going to be as serious as in this thread I will kill somebody :lol

We need the madness

After E3, I'd want it to be:
Wii U Post-E3 Thread of Hyper-analysis: Suck it, haters - Nintendo's Here to Stay!

But that might be a poor-judgement move..

They already know Nintendo is here to stay hence their active hatred.

No one would make fun of a company that's no longer relevant and going to way of the Dodo.

How can it be? IV lasted three weeks. Even with big leaks drawing posters to separate threads, I can't see this one lasting less.

Idk I think well get close to VI but by then itll be E3.. If we get a leak better than rayman then thats another story lol..like some leaked pikmin 3 screens or some shit this thread will be done in 2.5 weeks lol

Nibel

If nobody has a problem with it, I would love to create the 6th thread if it will be necessary. I have some finished images and ideas with the whole Zelda MM theme, it would be perfect before E3

And can't wait to see what bombs will be dropped in the next one

EVIL

If nobody has a problem with it, I would love to create the 6th thread if it will be necessary. I have some finished images and ideas with the whole Zelda MM theme, it would be perfect before E3

And can't wait to see what bombs will be dropped in the next one

I believe GameplayWhore already has dibs on 6

HylianTom

Banned
Instaban for whoever does it lol
I know.. way, way too strong. This kind of title creation would be a sign that one's brain-to-keyboard filter has failed.

But funny, no doubt.. and I love me some humor. Heck, I'd laugh if the other console speculation threads did similar titles. Funny is funny. :)

V for Vendetta (though I can't find any sensible relation, sorry just looks nice )

---
Also this:
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Idk I think well get close to VI but by then itll be E3.. If we get a leak better than rayman then thats another story lol..like some leaked pikmin 3 screens or some shit this thread will be done in 2.5 weeks lol
The closer we get to E3, the more Reggie and Iwata meme image spam there'll be.

I'll probably post at least 50 variations on 'My body is ready' or 'bom zal droppen'.

BurntPork

Banned

And then the mods would change it to something demeaning as a punishment, and ban whoever made to OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom