• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It's pretty much a given Panasonic will produce the Wii U discs, just like they did with the GameCube and Wii discs. Panasonic has blu-ray tech available, and also has a line of Blu-ray discs without a Blu-ray license (for business backups and stuff) so they are more than capable of pressing Wii U discs.

March 12, 2012
Singulus Technologies received Final Acceptance for BLULINE II from Panasonic, Japan

So the bluline II replication line can be close to the Panasonic one. A cookie for the first to get a picture of the possible molding & fabrication & mastering machine that will be used for Wii U optical discs :)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Would this normally be enough to get a site banned from there?

Don't know, but it's getting old. And quite a bunch of french websites have relayed the info. It's not cool to play with enthusiast people (ok, it was easily spotted as fake, but still).

MisterHero

Holographic storage is still a long way off, if it ever comes out at all.

Even if it's proven viable, the market would have to accept it

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Holographic storage is still a long way off, if it ever comes out at all.

Even if it's proven viable, the market would have to accept it
I wonder why no video game company hasn't utilized the Hyper-CD yet. That was created in 1999, and holds up to 10 terabytes (with extensions up to 1 petabyte).

From its website:

Characteristics of Hyper-CD Technology
  • High Capacity ( PBs )
  • Low Cost ( Media, Drive)
  • Long Term Archival Solution ( thousands of years)
  • Capable to Work at High Temperature and Intense Radiations
  • Resources for Future Developments ( over 1 PB, rewritable)
  • No Standard Restriction
  • Minor Modifications of CD/DVD Drives
  • Hyper Drives are able to read/write CD and DVD discs
  • Broad Design Flexibility ( PC, notebooks, etc.)
Source: http://www.storextechnologies.com/company.html

In a 2010 survey, the most common reason cited for buying a PS3 was its Blu Ray capability:

http://kotaku.com/5541239/why-are-people-buying-ps3s

This was when the PS3 was too prohibitive for the vast majority of actual gamers to consider it purchaseable. The only people left were video enthusiasts, and this helped to destroy Sony's profits further, as they were losing massive amounts of money on each system but not making it up with games (and probably not making much of it up with movies). If Nintendo did something similar, they wouldn't even have the pittance from selling movie discs to offset this, and it would hurt their downloadable movie deals (whatever they are) with Netflix!

You sir are a god among men. Only a god could browse GAF on a 3DS.

I suspect that secondapps GAF wouldn't be too terrible on even an NDS screen.

That would be awful...
Just do like with the XBox and sell the license to those that want it. Which would be a horribly small segment of the population, but hey, at least there's the option.

I like that. It's a nice way to both save money and also be able to offer the consumer what they want.

So anything new? Or was the last thing said by anyone who knows something the good optimistic news from yesterday?

#3514, "nicalis & 8-bit are co-dev' a game for 3DS & Wii U to be released this year. The 3DS version is already playable."

#3560, InPhase (Nintendo partner regarding holographic storage) restructuring

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I wish i could have paid a visit to the Louvre to say hello to Miyamoto and ask a lot of questions about the Wii U while he was there to test & promote the 3DS audio guide :p
Unfortunately, the waiting lines are unbearable and i guess he had the galleries reserved for a moment, seeing how it's empty

Edit: maybe this sculpture will give him the idea of a mature antiquity shooter, "Di Wouaitu Euntlessu no deer no Densetsu".

Wouldn't the ability to play Blu Rays be enough to entice many people to pay an extra $10, if that were the licensing fee? Or alternatively, won't the Wii U look less enticing if it launches at a price similar to PS3 but can't be used to play BD movies? To come close to matching the multimedia features of PS3 and 360 it at least needs a movie streaming service. And if Nintendo decides to position the Wii U as solely a games playing device, it had better be priced accordingly.

There are some old articles ou there on Bluray licensing fees. I don't know how accurate they are today (from 2009), but Bluray usage seems increasingly expensive...
http://www.media-tech.net/fileadmin/templates/BD_News/BD Licensing.pdf

and another one also from 2009
http://betanews.com/2009/02/25/unified-blu-ray-licensing-is-remedy-to-bag-of-hurt/
Licenses were sometimes in excess of $20 per player depending on the type of machine being created. The new licensing fees taking effect later this year will be $9.50 for a Blu-ray player, $14 for a Blu-ray recorder, 11¢ for a read-only disc, 12¢ for a recordable disc, and 15¢ for a rewritable disc.

and that's not counting the encryption key fees and yearly fees talked about in the first link

But the real solution to everyone's Bluray Player problem, is Nintendo sell the license* in the eShop for those that wish to use the Wii U as a Bluray player.

*cost of license to also include cost of extended 1 yr limited warranty coverage for the inevitable burnt out drive you will be sending your Wii U in for.

So would you pay an extra $19.99 in the eShop for Bluray playback?

I wish i could have paid a visit to the Louvre to say hello to Miyamoto and ask a lot of questions about the Wii U while he was there to test & promote the 3DS audio guide :p
Unfortunately, the waiting lines are unbearable and i guess he had the galleries reserved for a moment, seeing how it's empty

Miyamoto seems to be very interested in that statue.
"U Sculpt" game big Holday 2013 title? :D

There are some old articles ou there on Bluray licensing fees. I don't know how accurate they are today (from 2009), but Bluray usage seems increasingly expensive...
http://www.media-tech.net/fileadmin/templates/BD_News/BD Licensing.pdf

Thanks for looking it up. The cost is quite a bit higher than I would have expected.

You think Nintendo would go with a ~100% markup on the licensing?

Anyway, I probably wouldn't do it. I barely even have DVDs here. But having the option would at least "check that box", so we'd get fewer complainers here. :)

Akai

lol, i had a similar idea, i edited my post :p
And it's believable, he had non-negligible influences in the past from art & masterpieces.

Well, the statue there is Diana of Versailles, with Diana being the goddess of the hunt. Funny enough I'd associate her characteristics with Princess Zelda, so Miyamoto getting ideas for the next Zelda confirmed!

You think Nintendo would go with a ~100% markup on the licensing?

Anyway, I probably wouldn't do it. I barely even have DVDs here. But having the option would at least "check that box", so we'd get fewer complainers here. :)

Read the asterisk right above the question. It explains the markup I put on the price.

I probably would if I didn't already have a BR player. There are some cheap ones out there these days, but not that cheap, so if I was buying a Wii U anyway it would be a good use of $20. If this is possible, it's probably the best solution if Nintendo want to keep the base price down, but offer more functionality to those who want it.

I'd pay it if there was no possibility to adverse effects (well no possibility is impossible, but you know), but if it greatly improves the chances of breaking then fuck that.

HylianTom

Banned
Miyamoto seems to be very interested in that statue.
"U Sculpt" game big Holday 2013 title? :D

It looks like she's looking in his direction!

I'd love to see statues that come to life and move in the next Zelda. This may be where he gets an idea for a good boss, or a character who's been turned into a talking statue.

There are some old articles ou there on Bluray licensing fees. So would you pay an extra $19.99 in the eShop for Bluray playback?

If I have to pay extra for Blu Ray playback, along with paying extra for HDD storage, they better price the Wii U accordingly.I don't particularly care if they don't include this, but with current gen consoles already having these features at a cheaper price, I can't imagine this being over $299.

HylianTom

Banned
I'd pay it if there was no possibility to adverse effects (well no possibility is impossible, but you know), but if it greatly improves the chances of breaking then fuck that.

No sale, even if the price was $2. I have a Blu-Ray player sitting six inches away from where the Wii U is going to sit.

Moving parts moving = greater chance of breakdown, however miniscule

(Then again, you're asking the guy who has two fans up against his Wii at all times.)

Bumhead

Banned
It's using BR, but Nintendo has it's own encoding and decoding algorithm/technique so they don't have to pay royalties for BR consortium. This means no BR movies for WiiU

Might be a stupid question, but what does this mean for the size of the retail boxes, I wonder?

Blu-Ray boxes fit nice and snug on my shelf at the moment. DVD cases are too big. Am I going to have to find a new shelf? :(

No sale, even if the price was $2. I have a Blu-Ray player sitting six inches away from where the Wii U is going to sit.

Moving parts moving = greater chance of breakdown, however miniscule

(Then again, you're asking the guy who has two fans up against his Wii at all times.)
my ps3 been just fine and I watch MADDDDDD blurays, just hate the idea of having to have 2 consoles on my limited desk space just because the wiiU can't play movies.

Akai

I'd love to see statues that come to life and move in the next Zelda. This may be where he gets an idea for a good boss, or a character who's been turned into a talking statue.

So in other words, a return of this dropped Twilight Princess material...

U1ru6.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
my ps3 been just fine and I watch MADDDDDD blurays, just hate the idea of having to have 2 consoles on my limited desk space just because the wiiU can't play movies.

I know.. my fears are probably illogical. But with the blu-ray player sitting right there, I'd rather not take the chance. And I get to spend that $2 on something else.

U1ru6.jpg
NICE!

Actually, I'd love for Miyamoto to come to Mardi Gras and see the old Greek/Roman god-inspired parade floats and costuming so that he is spurred to implement more classical themes into the next Zelda. That'd be fantastic!

I know.. my fears are probably illogical. But with the blu-ray player sitting right there, I'd rather not take the chance. And I get to spend that $2 on something else.

Not too different here. I run almost all my
yes, legally purchased
Wii games from a portable hard drive to lessen the use of moving parts.

I'm curious: Are you not interested in the shift towards downloadable (or streaming, which seems not quite as great) movies? They take up a lot less space than Blu-Rays.

U1ru6.jpg

I cannot express the giddiness I felt in 2005 upon seeing this screenshot. It's just so mysterious and somber. So disappointed that they dropped it for the final game (or, I imagine, repurposed the creature to be the guardian in the Sacred Grove).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The latest post at B3D is really informative. I worried and glad at the same time that Nintendo went such a customized design. Worried because we all know that many devs won't be bothered trying to exploit it and glad because it would be boring if all the consoles had out-of-the-shelves GPUs and making tech discussions mostly obsolete.

Akai

It reminds me of those tall guardians from the Temple of Time.. the ones with the reverse jumping puzzle. (from the Sacred Grove)

I'm pretty sure they are even the same model. Either the mysterious forest statue was replaced by the guardians, or the guardians were a representation of some sort of race that had once lived there before (with the mysterious forest statue being the last remaining, etc.) Either way, dropped ideas always come back if they are deemed good enough, so maybe for the future!

I just caught up and saw some of the gifs and other pics you guys made mainly of Reggie, I was laughing for 10 minutes :p

News I didnt see posted, maybe I missed it?
1001 Spikes coming to the eShop + Wii U store (whatever its gonna be called)
Screens here

DrWong mentioned it (post#3514) but couldn't paste the link. Thanks a ton. :)

Edit: Nice tesselation. Looks like it might be based on UE4.
← JOKING! It actually gives me some warm fuzzies from late '80s platformers on personal computers. ^_^

jacksrb

The WiiU logo is bad...

Honestly, if I didn't know the U was suppose to be a U before I saw it, I wouldn't know what it was.

Nice job on the poster, the your is a nice touch and goes a long way to show how the U in the WiiU logo should be positioned and sized.

Couldn't that be said for most new products, or the Wii for that matter?

That just seems like a weird argument "if I didn't know what this new thing was, then I wouldn't know what it is by looking at the logo."

Or maybe you are saying that you would look at the Wii U logo and not realize that it is a new product...

My issues with this line of thinking is that nothing Nintendo accomplished with Wii would have been changed by less embarrassing hardware. Everybody likes to talk about it in the extremes. It's either lose $500 per console and have 100 million dollar budgets, or overclock the Gamecube and enjoy 6 more years of last-gen. Where's the middle ground? They did NOT have to release this tremendous loss leader that was at (or even near) parity with PS360 to have a better shot at serious third parties and core gamers. They just needed something that was intelligently designed (see Gamecube in 2001), based on a (then) contemporary architecture, and was clearly beyond last-gen. Maybe this means they sold it at $279, maybe they even lost $20 a unit for the first year. Succeed or fail, it wouldn't have really mattered. The risk would have been so minor, and their resources so plentiful, the difference between the Wii we got and this proposed Super Wii would have been like a fart in the wind financially. Fact of the matter is, they pinched pennies and you got a much lesser product because of it. I would hazard a guess you would have enjoyed your "thousands of hours" a lot more if the graphics were more pleasing, or the developers were able to do bigger and better things.

And my issues with this line of thinking are:

They already had the controller as a big barrier of entry for third party support and it wasn't great at the end of the GC cycle anyway. They kept development and hardware costs low to help push it into more homes quicker. They also ensured that if it failed they could recover. It was a smart move whether it served everybody's needs or not. Betting a smaller amount on a risky gamble was the right thing to do. What were they supposed to do, release another GC and fail again? No differentiation means no hook.

The Wii doesn't exist in a vacuum. I have a PS3 and a gaming class PC hooked up to my TV with an Xbox 360 controller. In spite of any hardware horsepower differences, Mario Galaxy and Zelda SS are still among the very, very best games this generation has to offer. In the face of Skyrim PC, Zelda won my time first because it's simply a tighter designed game with a far more engaging story and characters (and way less bugs, of which I saw none. Skyrim not so much.) great graphics are always welcome but I play games or the experience first and foremost.

GameE

DrWong mentioned it (post#3514) but couldn't paste the link. Thanks a ton. :)

Edit: Nice tesselation. Looks like it might be based on UE4.
← JOKING! It actually gives me some warm fuzzies from late '80s platformers on personal computers. ^_^

You're welcome :D

Couldn't that be said for most new products, or the Wii for that matter?

That just seems like a weird argument "if I didn't know what this new thing was, then I wouldn't know what it is by looking at the logo."

Or maybe you are saying that you would look at the Wii U logo and not realize that it is a new product...

I mean I wouldn't even be able to read the logo.

The U only looks like a U to me because I know it's suppose to be a U.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The most recent issue of Developer features an interview with Havok's David Coghlan about what Havok means for Wii U. It's from the 5th of April, but I haven't seen this posted before.

WHAT DOES THE Wii U deal mean for Havok, and the developers of Wii U games?
For developers of Wii U games it means access to two of our flagship products – Havok Physics and Havok Animation – for any games that they are developing on the platform, and in an extremely cost effective way. The deal applies to developers worldwide, including both third-party and Nintendo studios.

From a Havok point of view it means we’re potentially expanding the range of studios that are getting their hands on our tech. That’s something we’re always trying to do at an overall level, and at every level. Historically Havok has been very focused on the triple-A side of things, but in the last two years we’ve seen our tech get into the hands of many more people, and this is an important step along that road. This Wii U deal really will put leading tech in a much broader range of studios worldwide.

So why was it Havok Physics and Havok Animation were chosen to be made available to Wii U devs through the deal?
Nintendo clearly recognised the value that cutting-edge physics can have on a platform. I think animation is also a key area that people are focused on as they look to the future. Wii U games developers can still come to us for other products, but something like Havok Cloth may not be applicable to for every game for the platform, while things like physics and animation are clearly relevant to every title.

Source: http://www.develop-online.net/digital-edition/download/94

It doesn't say Havok Cloth won't be available, but that it may not be applicable for all titles. While not that of a big deal, what could be the reason for this, are titles heavily reliant on the CPU (for rendering on the controller screen) such where Cloth won't make an appearance?

Roo

He looks... intrigued :p

Edit: Reading what Rösti posted about Havok... does that technology is hardware or software based?
Maybe stupid question... we know it is free for developers that are working on Wii U games but what stop them from not using it on other projects?

Akai

Rösti;36971432 said:
It doesn't say Havok Cloth won't be available, but that it may not be applicable for all titles. While not that of a big deal, what could be the reason for this, are titles heavily reliant on the CPU (for rendering on the controller screen) such where Cloth won't make an appearance?

Well, couldn't you take that as him just saying that not every game will NEED cloth physics, while physics and animation you need no matter what?

Ninty provided the sundaes, but developers will need to bring their own cherries if they want them...

Somnia

Rösti;36971432 said:
The most recent issue of Developer features an interview with Havok's David Coghlan about what Havok means for Wii U. It's from the 5th of April, but I haven't seen this posted before.

Source: http://www.develop-online.net/digital-edition/download/94

Nice find, this should be a good thing for a lot of smaller developers for sure.

HylianTom

Banned
He looks... intrigued :p

Aside from the art styles, I also hope that the architecture left a big impression on him. As an architecture/urban design fiend, I love games that have memorable structures. Take Hyrule Castle from the Wind Waker - such a fantastic setting in which to have a dramatic fight sequence! The arcades, the columns, the railings, the insets.. you could tell that the level designers put some real love into that effort.

Ninty provided the sundaes, but developers will need to bring their own cherries if they want them...
That is a terrific metaphor for it, haha.. now I want ice cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom