• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I think there's a part in the Miyamoto's Edge interview that may have been overlooked, it's about the relationship and confidence (and the lack of in some cases) of the man with over Nintendo directors. It could be interesting for the speculations in regard to the company development policy with the Wii U.

Miyamoto, however, is far less hands-on at Nintendo these days. He famously said last year that he was taking a back seat, and mentoring the next generation of Nintendo developers. Were Nintendo to make a spiritual sequel to A Link To The Past, it wouldn't be with him at the helm - and he admits this could mean his vision being compromised.

"To be very honest and open, it really depends on the directors that have time at the moment as well," he said. "Some directors, I can give them the title and I know they will do something great with it.

"Other directors I'm not so 100 per cent confident [in], so they're the ones I'd rather take a more remake approach to the title. It really depends on that as well."

I guess they will be pleased to hear that :p

And concerning the directors that he likes:

Miyamoto wouldn't be drawn on his favourite among the current crop of Nintendo directors, but he reserved special praise for one in particular: Koichi Kawamoto, who developed the concept demo that birthed the WarioWare series, and more recently created 3DS's StreetPass Quest. Miyamoto says Kawamoto is "a very strong figure [who] will play a very important role in the future."

ksamedi

I personally don't think NSMB Mii was never more than the demo we saw, nor intended to be more, I doubt Nintendo would release two 2D Marios so close together.

And I think Nintendo would still want to do something with Wii Music because of the much larger brand recognition of the 'Wii' line of games as opposed to Jam with the Band or Rhythm Heaven. In terms of quality I think we can all agree Wii Music wasn't anything noteworthy, but like I said I think the Upad would lend itself to a music game like that far more anyway.

Wii Music was a pretty high quality game to be honest. It just didn't jive with the general hardcore gamer because of the MIDI and pretty limited music track selection. And the control scheme was weird too.

Antioch

Wii Music was a pretty high quality game to be honest. It just didn't jive with the general hardcore gamer because of the MIDI and pretty limited music track selection. And the control scheme was weird too.

To be honest I never played it much, the only memories I have of it stem largely from waggling (I hate saying that) the Wii Remote and the E3 2008 Press Conference. I think I would enjoy a really well made Wii U Music though.

As I said, the only things that Mario Wii U needs Super Mario Galaxy 2 engines, with better textures and shaders. Make it open world, 1080p, 60FPS, with a lot of AA. Then it will roll okay.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's not *inferior*, it's very different.

The first two are robotic response games, wonderful and rewarding but where your skill comes from pattern recognition, and the relationship between that set pattern and the music. (Please don't mistake this for criticism, Band Brothers and Rhythm Heaven GBA are two of my favourite games).

Wii Music is a jazz performance simulator where the skill is in creating your own version, and the reward is not from a score or a medal but from the player's own satisfaction at their achievement. Somewhat like a time-attack means the player will re-start as soon as they are unhappy with their performance on a lap, so will a Wii Music addict repeat the same exact section of music until they have it sounding just as they like.

That's not inferior. It's just very very different and trying to put it in the same category as rhythm-action games surely creates a large amount of the misunderstanding.

You said it better than me. Wii Music is one of the few proper music games out there. Shame Nintendo didn't get this message across properly and of course the imbeciles that front the gaming media made such a cock up trying to show what the game is about because they went in with purely negative feelings. Screw Attack had one of the worst and most unprofessional previews I have ever witnessed.

Bagu

You said it better than me. Wii Music is one of the few proper music games out there. Shame Nintendo didn't get this message across properly and of course the imbeciles that front the gaming media made such a cock up trying to show what the game is about because they went in with purely negative feelings. Screw Attack had one of the worst and most unprofessional previews sites I have ever witnessed.

Fixed for ya.

Gravijah

And why on God's green earth does he not want Mario to be imaginative and eccentric?

i just want the series to continue taking new paths. 64, sunshine, and galaxy were all quite different.

and a space theme is not the only way to make the games imaginative and eccentric.

Wolfie5

If they show a new 2D Mario game, I hope it´s a new concept, like Super Mario World or SMB3. Enough with the "New" Super Mario games(I hope that Mario with Mii demo thing isn´t a game).

If it´s a 3D game, I hope it will be something other than Galaxies. It´s been done two times in a row (and they were both awesome), but something else please.

Only 7 weeks left to E3... we are getting closer :)

... and 10 days to that investors thingy, hopefully we will get something.

I hope Mario Wii U is way more 3D Land than Galaxy, LOVE 3D Land, my top 3D Mario for sure, even more than Sunshine which was my top prior.

I just got all 5 stars yesterday, but I have to start a 2nd file to get the glittering stars, because you must not die 5 times in a single level and not see any help boxes, if you die 5 times, just quit the level.

darthdago

That's what I thought. Which means that if Group 1 has had close to five years to make a Galaxy game.. hmm..

Now I'm thinking that I might have to do one of my 14-hour overnight marathon games once this move is over and done.

...ehh, thats the biggest prob with that game, time goes by really fast...but I love CIV...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I play Mario levels to quickly and recklessly to get the shiny stars. I probably could get them if I went through each level nice and easy but I like to take risky jumps for the hell of it. I could tell this by the fact my best times for levels I had only gone through once were better than half of my rivals time.

DrWong

Sorry if already posted. From cinemablend:
Project CARS is planned to release on major gaming platforms, including the Wii U. It started when one of our readers pointed out the Nintendo logo on one of the cars in a screenshot of an early build for Project CARS. Of course, anyone can have a logo on a car but it's pretty clear that a sponsored logo from Nintendo is not going to appear in a Microsoft or Sony game, and Project CARS is scheduled to release for Microsoft and Sony's consoles.

While the logo alone doesn't seem much like hard proof, it was decided that we should simply find out if the game was in development for Nintendo's console and we contacted the head of Slightly Mad Studios, Ian Bell, who confirmed that for Project CARS, "The current plan is to ship on all major platforms", which includes the Wii U.

_1334561472.jpg

Rehynn

Give me a 2D Mario with a level editor and the capability to share user-made levels online. Plus online leaderboards for speedrun times. That's all I ask.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Sorry if already posted. From cinemablend:

_1334561472.jpg

If that's a screenshot of a Wii U game, I find it very impressive.

Wii_U_41448.jpg

Here's some reassurance about the graphics.

cinemablend said:
While the logo alone doesn't seem much like hard proof, it was decided that we should simply find out if the game was in development for Nintendo's console and we contacted the head of Slightly Mad Studios, Ian Bell, who confirmed that for Project CARS, "The current plan is to ship on all major platforms", which includes the Wii U.

What's more is that this fits in well with Nintendo's claims earlier about dabbling back into the core market with titles aimed at siphoning away gamers from the Xbox 360 and PS3 and I don't see any better way than stepping up to the plate with a multiplatform racer sporting the latest in high-end visual technology.

Now before you get your hopes up and all excited and saying "Xbots and PS3tards, we told you the Wii U is super powerful!" let's keep it in perspective for a moment. The screenshots we've seen of Project CARS are all pre-alpha and there's no real telling exactly how the game will look or how it will run on the Wii U in its final form.

What's interesting is that while the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game will only support DX9 it hasn't been confirmed or denied yet if the full DX11 features will make the cut for the Wii U.

However, as the screenshots showcase, this game is easily one of the best looking games ever designed. I'm still amazed at how an indie title can look so beautiful and densely rich with such polished atmosphere about it.

One thing is for sure, the Wii U is definitely not weaker than the Xbox 360 or PS3 if it's going to be running Project CARS.

Nintendo's new console is set for release this holiday season and Project CARS is also (loosely) slated for release by the end of this year. For more info feel free to visit the Official Website

Edit - It sounds like at the very least, the Wii U will have some (maybe not all) DX11 features not possible in the PS3/360. The Wii U version may be closer to the PC version.

moving away from the galaxy/over the top theme and focusing back on the mushroom kingdom and similar areas.

We just got that with 3DLand though and by launch time it will have been over 2 1/2 years since SMG2. So unless NSMB Mii is the first Mario Wii U game, we might be headed back to space again.

they have to program in hd though and that takes a lot of money and time to program in hd

Code is code - more powerful systems might mean more complicated engines.... but there's is no such thing as 'coding in HD'

Art assets take exponentially more time to create in HD.

And.... to the person who thinks Wii games already have HD art assets on the disc. Doh. Even if Nintendo did waste a bunch of time and money putting HD and SD assets on a disc for no good reason, how would the emulator know how to make the switch, seeing as it is simply executing the Wii code??

monome

A WiiU mario with a strong MP at launch would kick a lot of ass.
3DS is in need of a 2D mario to maintain sales.
WiiU needs to impress to have a good launch.

Wasn't there a FIFA or Pro Evo game with Sony logos in the Wii/3DS version? Could be fair game as it's Sony as a whole, not just SCE, but still.

Edit: Have some full-res shots of the Nintendo Car:

slightly_mad_studios_13345201777748.jpg

slightly_mad_studios_13345202054072.jpg

slightly_mad_studios_13345202052187.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom