• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
P90 said:
Bad for the worldwide economy as well.
Nobody who loves gaming wants Ninty to fail. I just hope that Nintendo manage to get their shit together about getting 3rd party devs on board and adds a decent online component without stupid restrictions.

guek

Banned
cyberheater said:
Nobody who loves gaming wants Ninty to fail. I just hope that Nintendo manage to get their shit together about getting 3rd party devs on board and adds a decent online component without stupid restrictions.

I don't even get why someone who dislikes their games would want nintendo to fail.

Like...why?

guek said:
I don't even get why someone who is dislikes their games would want nintendo to fail.

Like...why?
Y'know, so all those major third party exclusives that show up on Nintendo consoles will have to find their way to the lacking libraries of the competition.

Deguello

guek said:
I don't even get why someone who is dislikes their games would want nintendo to fail.

Like...why?

Even stranger is this desire to imagine a future where Nintendo becomes a third party. Like, today. Which would mean Nintendo would start out their third party career with more assets than Activision. Making them the biggest third party immediately. And the most desired and sought after, as MS and Sony stumble over themselves to moneyhat exclusive Nintendo games, at outrageous offers. Thus making the "problem" of competing against Nintendo franchises even worse.

lherre

Accurate
walking fiend said:
I guess Wii U being underpowered, or to say it better, other consoles being $500+ consoles, won't hurt Wii U really.

In a situation that there's no price difference, I guess a lot of current owners will chose the successor of their current system. But if Wii U get's out being cheaper than the others, it won't be that clear. A lot of those who are currently buying cheap 360s and PS3s may also move there, but not if Wii U is not cheap, or only as cheap as other consoles

My question is if the people that "now" have a 360-ps3, with Wii U (theoretically) having the same games will change and buy a new machine to have them ... (only speaking about ports, because clearly, wii U will have a lot of ps3-x360 ports).

lherre

Accurate
bgassassin said:
V3 is more stable right?

An old IGN article I saw indicated Wii had five dev kit versions and it sounds like Wii U is on a similar path. Any indication of when you might get V4? And you might have missed an earlier question I have (or didn't and couldn't answer), but are they currently using some generic looking box for the kit or is it something closer resembling the console?

Totally different situation. No one really expected Nintendo to do what they did with Wii. Most have an idea of what they are doing with Wii U.

The kits remember a bit the final design (small, same inputs-outputs, well more or less) but more "ugly" then the retail version shown.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
lherre said:
My question is if the people that "now" have a 360-ps3, with Wii U (theoretically) having the same games will change and buy a new machine to have them ... (only speaking about ports, because clearly, wii U will have a lot of ps3-x360 ports).
I doubt many people will buy WiiU for the ports, whether they'd be ps360 upports or ps4loop downports.

MDX

Why do people keep saying the Wii was underpowered?
It was a normal step up from the last generation.
What do you expect for a $250 console? It was designed to last
five years.

Its Sony and MS that decided to break the trend and
sell overly priced consoles at a loss for a 10 year console cycle.

WiiU could very well be a normal step up from the Wii.
That might look underpowered to some, but it makes good
business sense in the long run.

Now we see that MS and Sony feel threatened by the WiiU.
And have shifted their new consoles for earlier launches than planned.
If rumors are to be believed. Keeping up with Nintendo will cost them.

lherre

Accurate
MDX said:
five years.

X360 cost 299 at launch (Dec 2005, before Wii was launched) ... add a memory card (30 $) and you have it ... 329$ instead 250$ several months before. A machine with considerable power inside and a big gap over xbox (its predecessor), not only a 2x better machine over its predecessor (wii = 2 gc performance)

Besides, I repeat, ps4 and xbox next-loop or whatever name it will have, won't have the tech costs that its predecessors had in some of the components (blu-ray, cell and first graphic card with unified shader-vertex tech). This cost to sony a lot of money for example, now a blu-ray drive is very cheap, graphic cards several times better than xenos are cheap, Sony won't made a new ultra rare cpu like cell, etc. You can see Vita as an example of this new way, a powerful machine but with a "good" price and known tech inside.

Obviously is my personal opinion.

lherre said:
The kits remember a bit the final design (small, same inputs-outputs, well more or less) but more "ugly" then the retail version shown.

Based on that I'd almost say it was certain they are waiting for a process shrink.

lherre said:
X360 cost 299 at launch (Dec 2005, before Wii was launched) ... add a memory card (30 $) and you have it ... 329$ instead 250$ several months before. A machine with considerable power inside and a big gap over xbox (its predecessor), not only a 2x better machine over its predecessor (wii = 2 gc performance)

Besides, I repeat, ps4 and xbox next-loop or whatever name it will have, won't have the tech costs that its predecessors had in some of the components (blu-ray, cell and first graphic card with unified shader-vertex tech). This cost to sony a lot of money for example, now a blu-ray drive is very cheap, graphic cards several times better than xenos are cheap, Sony won't made a new ultra rare cpu like cell, etc. You can see Vita as an example of this new way, a powerful machine but with a "good" price and known tech inside.

Obviously is my personal opinion.

I believe his point is that it still cost MS $100+ more to build that box (in the beginning at least). If Sony didn't have Blu-ray, it's losses still would have been comparable to MS' losses. I can definitely see Sony copying what they did with Vita. I'm just of the view that the gap some people are expecting won't happen due to certain limits.

Cosmozone

MDX said:
I like my Wii, but still I think it should've been more powerful and should've come with a similar architecture than current consoles to help third party support. In my opinion Wii would've benefited greatly without HD resolution sucking away most of the power.

What, if I own an original Gamecube? Yes, Platinum Wind Waker bundle, why?

Donnie

lherre said:

If WiiU only had the same games then no it probably wouldn't sell that well, however it'll have the same games AND Nintendo games :) This gen I've owned a Wii and XBox 360, the Wii for Nintendo games and the 360 for most third party games. Next gen if WiiU gets all the same third party games I won't need to own anything but a WiiU.

agrajag

Banned
MDX said:
five years.

Are you insane? Wii was barely more than a repackaged, overclocked Gamecube. I didn't think even the most ardent fanboy would claim something so absurd as Wii being a generational leap from Gamecube. smh

Donnie

MDX said:
five years.

I'd say somewhere in between Wii and XBox 360 would have been a normal generational leap, neither is representative of the norm IMO.

Donnie said:
I'd say somewhere in between Wii and XBox 360 would have been a normal generational leap, neither is representative of the norm IMO.

I agree. I've said before when dealing with people applying Moore's Law to consoles that IMO PS360 went beyond that and this coming gen would be a "correction" so to speak.

Deguello said:
Even stranger is this desire to imagine a future where Nintendo becomes a third party. Like, today. Which would mean Nintendo would start out their third party career with more assets than Activision. Making them the biggest third party immediately. And the most desired and sought after, as MS and Sony stumble over themselves to moneyhat exclusive Nintendo games, at outrageous offers. Thus making the "problem" of competing against Nintendo franchises even worse.

I think it would be quite hilarious to see all the 3rd parties panic when they can't escape Nintendo since they have become unavoidable by being on every platform under the sun.

Of course that will never happen, but it would still be funny (in its own way) to see happen.

Deguello

bgassassin said:
I agree. I've said before when dealing with people applying Moore's Law to consoles that IMO PS360 went beyond that and this coming gen would be a "correction" so to speak.

I think what's unfortunate is that what was popularly conceived as a "generational leap" from last gen to this gen essentially required Sony to gut themselves and MS to lose money as well, which means this conception is entirely unsustainable and dangerous to the industry as a whole.

BurntPork

Banned
MDX said:
.......................................................................................

No comment.

You know what? Ignore list. That was just so stupid and fanboyish that I can never take you seriously again.

Deguello said:
I think what's unfortunate is that what was popularly conceived as a "generational leap" from last gen to this gen essentially required Sony to gut themselves and MS to lose money as well, which means this conception is entirely unsustainable and dangerous to the industry as a whole.

Exactly.

Sony lost all of its PS2 money and a nice chunk of its PS1 money too. I think it's safe to say that they over reached this generation. Even if they weren't trying to trojan horse Bluray into as many homes as possible they still would be in a financial blackhole this gen (attempting to stealth cell network us was very expensive too)

MS has lost how many Billions on the 360 alone?
Not many companies can afford to just buy their way into the console market, but the ends have to justify the means, but I'm sure share holders would appreciate it if those means were somewhere approaching profitable this time around. Windows can't cover all your losses forever.

BurntPork said:
.......................................................................................

No comment.

You know what? Ignore list. That was just so stupid and fanboyish that I can never take you seriously again.

I seriously hope you're joking here.

11redder

I just watched the ubisoft roundtable again after it was posted a few pages back and noticed something that had escaped my attention previously - namely the suspiciously blue x button on the onscreen prompt.

I don't know whether this is in any way indicative of the hardware that this extremely early build of the game was developed on. But, if so, it would be another slap in the face for all those pointing and laughing at the Wii U's supposedly sub-PS360 graphics during the reveal.

If this has been mentioned before - please ignore and carry on...

KJeTV.png

11redder said:
I just watched the ubisoft roundtable again after it was posted a few pages back and noticed something that had escaped my attention previously - namely the suspiciously blue x button on the onscreen prompt.

I don't know whether this is in any way indicative of the hardware that this extremely early build of the game was developed on. But, if so, it would be another slap in the face for all those pointing and laughing at the Wii U's supposedly sub-PS360 graphics during the reveal.

http://i.imgur.com/KJeTV.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

You know what, I never noticed that... what does this mean, GAF?

Deguello said:

I believe that as well. Another "overpowered" generation that is drawn out would cause at least cause the near death of the console market IMO.

11redder said:

Good eye. Shiggy said not too long ago in the Killer Freaks thread that he found out KF was originally planned for PS360. That's more confirmation of what he was told.

AzaK

11redder said:

I assume you mean it could be PS3? That's likely because Killer Freaks, which is what this is IIRC was a PS3/XBox title originally.

MDX said:
five years.

Wii was not a normal generational leap for Nintendo. As already said, Wii was basicly just an overclocked GameCube with more RAM. The very small leap that Wii provided over GameCube was nothing like the leap from NES to SNES or SNES to N64 or N64 to GCN.

FiveMinuteHero said:
I was wondering how powerful will the Wii U be... considering in terms of graphics power Nintendo seem to be 1 generation behind...

Nintendo Wii = PS2
Nintendo 3DS = PSP
Nintendo Wii U = Xbox 360/PS3?

This is a terrible post. It's factual incorrect with every comparison and I feel you only did so for the sake of your argument. The Wii and 3DS are MUCH stronger than the system's you're comparing them to

lherre

Accurate
bgassassin said:
I believe that as well. Another "overpowered" generation that is drawn out would cause at least cause the near death of the console market IMO.

Now we have 3 machines above 50 millions, a lot of multi million sellers ... I doubt it that this will change in the next gen. Console market is growing each generation. Besides the "next-gen" is a refinement of this gen, not a big change about the work methods, tech, etc
The game engines for this machines are there too (ue3-4, cry engine 3, fox engine). I have no worries about it.

I think that "power" is something that is always there to use, and the more you have the most impressive or perfect things you can do. So I won't think that a system or generation is "overpowered".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MDX said:

Because it was underpowered and it cost them ports.

GDGF

Soothsayer
wsippel said:
The whole buyout thing is strange. BroadOn/ iGware was a company founded by Wei Yen for Nintendo. Nobody really knows all that much about the company - their website tells you absolutely nothing at all, not even what business they're in. I don't remember them ever issuing a single press release, giving any interviews or attending any trade shows. They were never mentioned in any Nintendo press release, either (but their logo is on the Hollywood heat spreader). The whole company is a mystery. Then all of a sudden, Acer announces the buyout. Now why would they buy a company nobody knows, a company that seemingly only has a single customer? This is where things get interesting: Wei Yen is not only the founder of BroadOn/ iGware, he's also a member of the board at Acer. So Acer knew about the company, they knew what they were doing and who their main/ only customer is. Nintendo is supposedly happy with the buyout, and it's guaranteed they knew about the move up front, they probably even greenlighted it. But why?

This post sent a chill down my back for some reason. The good kind. No worries.

Deguello

lherre said:
Now we have 3 machines above 50 millions, a lot of multi million sellers ... I doubt it that this will change in the next gen. Console market is growing each generation.

It doesn't matter if the boat is bigger if it's leaking. This generation was an absolute bloodbath and saw a lot of industry titans brought to their knees. If the expectation for "next gen" means multi-core GPUs and six-core processors, then it will be even more bloody, not to mention making the consoles way more expensive at the outset.

BurntPork

Banned
Bluemercury said:
50x??? really?? lol cmon..
Yeah, no kidding.

He meant 100x. Wii U has been confirmed be the Wii with HD output and a gig of RAM.

EDIT: Actually... I'd like that. Then they could sell it for $200 or less!

BurntPork said:
Yeah, no kidding.

He meant 100x. Wii U has been confirmed be the Wii with HD output and a gig of RAM.

now i know that it packs a v/00 amd card at the very least....;), but seeing that the edge next gen talk about loop specs wasnt getting many positive posts i was a bit confused...

miksar

Don't forget that Wii is much smaller than PS3 and 360. Could Nintendo afford to place something significantly more powerful in such a small box back then?

BurntPork

Banned
Bluemercury said:
now i know that it packs a v/00 amd card at the very least....;), but seeing that the edge next gen talk about loop specs wasnt getting many positive posts i was a bit confused...
Everyone was hoping that MS would listen to Crytek and would put in 8GB of of RAM, since you can buy 8GB for $25.

miksar said:
Don't forget that Wii is much smaller than PS3 and 360. Could Nintendo afford to place something significantly more powerful in such a small box back then?
Uh, Wii U is less than a third of the size of the PS3 Slim, so if you use that argument...

rhoq

MDX said:
five years.

1. Wii was originally a GameCube add-on that eventually became it's successor. It was only a minor upgrade, with the focus being on it's innovative controller instead of power.

2. Sony & MS didn't break any trends. Yes, the consoles were pricey, but their machines were the expected next generation leap in power & graphics.

3. Wii U probably is the "normal" step up from the Wii. Unfortunately, that will still leave Nintendo a generation behind. I don't think they can afford to do that this time around. They got lucky with the Wii, but now that the "wow" factor has worn off - nobody wants to buy one.

4. Unless the rumors are way off and the Wii U will be on par with the next machines from Sony and MS, I doubt they feel all that threatened. Sure, they won't want Nintendo to get too much of a head start, but it sounds more and more like Nintendo will only be prolonging this current HD generation while Sony & MS plan to take the next big leap. This will leave Nintendo in the same situation they are currently in. I don't see them rushing anything out until it's ready, even if it means letting Nintendo get an early start.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Bluemercury said:
Worry not, loop was confirmed to have 100MB of edram (on top of a hefty amount of ridiculously fast gddr), so you can already imagine how bad prospects are for the WiiU. It's dooooomed.

BurntPork said:
Everyone was hoping that MS would listen to Crytek and would put in 8GB of of RAM, since you can buy 8GB for $25.

no you cant, i was actually considering buying the corsair xms3, 2gb DDR3 pack of 3, to upgrade my pc rig to 12gb of ram, and it would cost me 78€, and its not the fastest type...

blu said:
Worry not, loop was confirmed to have 100MB of edram (on top of a hefty amount of ridiculously fast gddr), so you can already imagine how bad prospects are for the WiiU. It's dooooomed.

whats the rumoured value for wii u?

TAS

LOL..some of you are so ignorant in your assumptions that WiiU will be left in the dust in terms of console power. You make it sound like Nintendo is incapable of producing powerful hardware. Remember the GameCube? Yeah..it was 1/4 the size of the Xbox yet is could produce visuals that were basically on par with the behemoth. It's funny everyone keeps referring to Wii whilst totally ignoring the entire picture. This is the first console hardware in 10 years being built from the ground up. You're an idiot if you think it's going to be a vastly underpowered. Btw..if Xbox3 launches in 2012 with the WiiU, I'm betting it's going to be another GameCube vs Xbox in terms of visuals. In other words, negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom