• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

DarkChild

Banned
Actually, I'm also a developper myself, but I won't tell who I am, and for who I work. But I can say that Wii U will be powerfull as NES, and will display 5D graphics with holograms. It will also travel in the time.
Better yet, listen to this.

I am an good informed French gaming jurnalist who knows bunch of guys from Ubisoft. Wii U is pretty amazing piece of console. They have upped power by several times, each new dev kit gets stronger and stronger, honestly, sky is the limit. I can't say anything you don't know because of reasons I can't tell you, but I'm legit. Oh and I absolutely adore everything Nintendo makes and I'm their biggest fan. Believe me!

I am an good informed French gaming jurnalist who knows bunch of guys from Ubisoft. Wii U is pretty amazing piece of console. They have upped power by several times, each new dev kit gets stronger and stronger, honestly, sky is the limit. I absolutely adore everything Nintendo makes and I'm their biggest fan. Believe me!

Whoops ! I hope they won't fire you !:eek:

guek

Banned
Right, so now i'm a just troll and a jackass for having an viewpoint that differs from your own.

This right here is why most people avoid this thread like the plague, and discussion goes to die. Keep it up.

No, you're a troll because it's clear that all you want is a reaction out of this thread. Hence a troll.

If you really wanted to discuss shit you wouldn't be so condescending. People discuss relevant news in here all the time with both tempered enthusiasm and realistic pessimism. You're just in here to stir the pot. So unless you want to actually respect the opposing opinion and contemplate the possibility that things aren't as black and white as you pretend, please take your own advice and get the fuck out.

HylianTom

Banned

I am an good informed French gaming jurnalist who knows bunch of guys from Ubisoft. Wii U is pretty amazing piece of console. They have upped power by several times, each new dev kit gets stronger and stronger, honestly, sky is the limit. I can't say anything you don't know because of reasons I can't tell you, but I'm legit. Oh and I absolutely adore everything Nintendo makes and I'm their biggest fan. Believe me!

Welcome aboard! Have you been verified yet?
(no offense - we ask this of everyone..)

magash

Right, so now i'm a just troll and a jackass for having an viewpoint that differs from your own.

This right here is why most people avoid this thread like the plague, and discussion goes to die. Keep it up.

What is there to discuss when you refuse to believe what named developers say. Like I keep on saying you prefer to believe some unnamed and anonymous source instead of what people like Colin Bonstead and Han Randhawa (people that we definately know have worked on the Wii U and not some anonymous person that may or may not work on the Wii U) say.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I fully expect Nintendo to have at least one title at E3 that totally outclasses every 3rd party effort visually.

I think this is the only way to somewhat make this discussion go away. Should be interesting.

guek

Banned

You do realize that most people view what ideaman has to say with a huge grain of salt right? And that he really hasn't said anything substantially different from a ton of dev comments and rumors? And that there's no hero worship of him whatsoever in this thread and that there are regulars that are active detractors that speak up all the time?

You do realize all these things, right? Right??

HylianTom

Banned
You do realize that most people view what ideaman has to say with a huge grain of salt right? And that he really hasn't said anything substantially different from a ton of dev comments and rumors? And that there's no hero worship of him whatsoever in this thread and that there are regulars that are active detractors that speak up all the time?

You do realize all these things, right? Right??

Nope. Wrong. Just a bunch of brainwashed, lockstep Ninthings in here.

(Don't let him get your hackles up too much, guek. That's exactly what trolls want.)

Discussion dies because for every quote posted in favour of one standpoint is quickly countered by another, & people believe what they want to (like how you think Vigil are discussing ports from the Wii even though they themselves have never released a game for the Wii, & very few games were ever ported from the 360/PS3 to the Wii).

Hoo-doo

Banned
No, you're a troll because it's clear that all you want is a reaction out of this thread. Hence a troll.

If you really wanted to discuss shit you wouldn't be so condescending. People discuss relevant news in here all the time with both tempered enthusiasm and realistic pessimism. You're just in here to stir the pot. So unless you want to actually respect the opposing opinion and contemplate the possibility that things aren't as black and white as you pretend, please take your own advice and get the fuck out.

I simply don't know how to respond to this complete nonsense. I really don't.

I don't insult anyone, try to articulate my points, and honestly don't want to "stir up the pot". I just view things differently.
Take your persecution complex elsewhere.

Yes that makes sense: Let's try to boast about our graphics but then shy away if people want specifics...

Unless you are a developer, Numbers shouldn't mean squat to you and that is the mentality that Nintendo has always had. The only thing that should matter to the end consumer is how Does the game look and how well does it play. Again, this is Nintendo's model.

Long story short, gamers shouldn't care about the specifics, they should only care about the end result.

I don't believe you, or the likes of DarkChris are actually interested in the new console at all. You are performing mind bending mental theatrics and attacking everyone who contends with a viewpoint contrary to your own, and then you have the gall to suggest that people are doing that to you.

The truth of the matter is we have only anonymous sources publicly hoo-dooing the power of the Wii-U, and we have a range of other sources, some anonymous, some named - suggesting the power is at this level or that level... its about as clear as mud.

Don't act all innocent on us, you're being as obnoxious as everyone else.. if you don't like the thread, you're free to go visit another one. I don't think you'd be missed.

schuelma

I don't insult anyone, try to articulate my points, and honestly don't want to "stir up the pot". I just view things differently.

I'll be honest- those quotes from Vigil have been around for a long time, and you are the first person I have seen try and argue those relate to comparison with the Wii. It just..doesn't make any sense. By far the most logical way to read that statement is in comparison with the 2 HD systems. I don't think you are a troll, but I honestly have no clue why you would interpret that quote the way you are.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
How big is the Nintendo EAD team? Maybe they'll reveal their Wii U game this year.

Nintendo EAD has several branches. If you mean their Tokyo team that makes the Mario titles, we will most likely see a project from them this year. It might not be released until next year, however.

[EDIT] Also, it might not be a Mario title, but a new IP from Miyamoto. Or so the rumors say.

guek

Banned

You mean you just view things according to how you want to view things.

Like how you've stated all praise coming from actual devs is just corporate ass kissing and anonymous leaks to CVG and GI.biz are super duper legit because those sites are just so awesome.

Nintendo EAD has several branches. If you mean their Tokyo team that makes the Mario titles, we will most likely see a project from them this year. It might not be released until next year, however.
Yeah, the team that makes mario games. I'm pretty sure we won't see a game from the Zelda team in a while. Hopefully I'm wrong, and they end up surprising us this year. Other than that, the project the mario team are working on could be the mario game that was announced on 3DS a couple of months ago.

DarkChild

Banned
I don't believe you, or the likes of DarkChris are actually interested in the new console at all. You are performing mind bending mental theatrics and attacking everyone who contends with a viewpoint contrary to your own, and then you have the gall to suggest that people are doing that to you.

The truth of the matter is we have only anonymous sources publicly hoo-dooing the power of the Wii-U, and we have a range of other sources, some anonymous, some named - suggesting the power is at this level or that level... its about as clear as mud.

Don't act all innocent on us, you're being as obnoxious as everyone else.. if you don't like the thread, you're free to go visit another one. I don't think you'd be missed.
A joke post?

It's difficult for me not to think of Ideaman as just an echo in the room. Guek's right, he's said nothing substantial on his own despite promises or revealing information at times.

It all seems like a bit of a bad joke. Again, I'm not calling him out, but there's something about his statements and comments that seem way too vague and familiar to be credited as insider info.

Besides... I've always been suspicious of his name and avatar... like it's a troll's idea of some kinda Nintendo 'saviour', or gleam of hope.

I don't like it.

Sorry if you're offended, Ideaman, but since last time I brought up these thoughts, you've done little to change my mind.

guek

Banned
I love how the guy who made the GI Biz thread is really just some innocent, non-troll on a righteous mission to inform the masses via thoughtful discussion.

Kind of ironic that a source from an actual developer on a known game that can be directly cited also came out today saying the exact opposite about the wii u's processing power. But oh no, unsourceable dev leaks are much more trustworthy.

Keep in mind I'm not saying those CVG and GI.biz leaks should be discarded. I find it fascinating though that wsippel talking about CPU issues from a middleware document days before this story hit. It explains a lot.

A joke post?

You have a comment half a page up collectively patronizing and mocking the posters in this thread.

schuelma

Hmm.kind of changed my mind. Looked through your post history- when you are not insulting this thread, all of your posts you have made in this thread do little more than criticize posters and opinions in the thread.

Re: Comments on the CPU

In almost all real-world in-game scenarios with properly optimised code, the Wii U's CPU should outperform the XBox360's CPU, even if it's clocked as low as ~2.5GHz. That's even ignoring the impact of the dedicated I/O processor and DSP.

As far as I can see, there are three reasons a developer could come away with the impression that the Wii U's CPU is less capable:

1. They're working on early dev-kits.
2. They're working with poorly-optimised middleware.
3. They're not very smart.

Point 1 is very plausible, as not every developer will have the latest round of dev-kits yet, and we know there's a bump in performance with them.

Point 2 is very likely. As wsippel pointed out, there is middleware out there which has seen massive performance improvements on the Wii U over the past few weeks due to optimisation. I've seen the document he's talking about, and as I understand it, said middleware doesn't even make use of the dedicated hardware yet. There's likely to be a lot of other middleware out there which is still unoptimised, and developers who use it and don't know any better will be liable to blame the hardware.

This brings us to point 3. There are a lot of people in the video games business, not all of whom are particularly intelligent. And in my opinion, the ones who leak these sorts of vague stories with trolly comments like the Mario one are much less likely to be intelligent than the sensible ones who keep their mouths shut.
Good post. Glad to have someone else confirming that document. When I saw the latest batch of negative problems, I immediately thought of the optimization issue that the wsippel shared with us.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hmm.kind of changed my mind. Looked through your post history- when you are not insulting this thread, all of your posts made serve no other purpose other than to criticize posters and opinions in the thread.

This thread is indeed needlessly hostile towards any remotely negative news regarding the Wii-U. And it is keeping everyone else out.

Roo

It's difficult for me not to think of Ideaman as just an echo in the room. Guek's right, he's said nothing substantial on his own despite promises or revealing information at times.

It all seems like a bit of a bad joke. Again, I'm not calling him out, but there's something about his statements and comments that seem way too vague and familiar to be credited as insider info.

Besides... I've always been suspicious of his name and avatar... like it's a troll's idea of some kinda Nintendo 'saviour', or gleam of hope.

I don't like it.

Sorry if you're offended, Ideaman, but since last time I brought up these thoughts, you've done little to change my mind.

Get out of my head you duck that plays with toilet accesories and that is replaced with a apathetic triangle!
yes I went there :D

No but seriously, he's a cool guy and everything but he loves going in circles and tbh I can't take him seriously anymore.

schuelma

This thread is indeed needlessly hostile towards any remotely negative news regarding the Wii-U. And it is keeping everyone else out.

You seem to have had little problem posting in this thread.

And you are wrong- before you and others entered, the new report was being discussed rather calmly.

Look, obviously this thread is largely full of Nintendo fans and supporters who are excited about the console and want to believe it is going to be great. It has also been, in my somewhat limited experience, a nice source for information, speculation, and with a lot more civil discussion that what occurs in 90% of gaf these days. The only time it gets bad is when people like you enter it with no real attempt to do anything more than stir shit up.

Get out of my head you duck that plays with toilet accesories and that is replaced with a apathetic triangle!
yes I went there :D

No but seriously, he's a cool guy and everything but he loves going in circles and tbh I can't take him seriously anymore.

You leave Toilet Duck out of this! I just want to give you shiny bathrooms :(

guek

Banned

We talk about negative news all the friggin time. The thread just responds poorly to people who have little interest in the console at all that come in here to gloat and people such as yourself who cling desperately to all negative rumors and discard all positive statements because it furthers their point of view.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We talk about negative news all the friggin time. The thread just responds poorly to people who have little interest in the console at all that come in here to gloat and people such as yourself who cling desperately to all negative rumors and discard all positive statements because it furthers their point of view.

Let's agree to disagree. I see you doing the exact same.

guek

Banned
The gpu in the WiiU is more powerful than the xenos or the rsx. on paper, it appears significantly moreso. reality, though, given the complexity of next generation graphics features -- IT MIGHT AS WELL BE THE EXACT SAME 2006/2007 GENERATION. it could be 5X the on-paper performance and still eke out no more than a couple extra fps given the same assets and rendering pipeline in real world results -- and can even look worse in early dev situations. until people understand the complexity of current rendering and effects models and why the require GEOMETRICALLY more horsepower (i.e. vastly greater shader resources) to see significant visual improvements at higher pixel counts and frame rates, they're yakking about shit that is wholly, entirely academic and therefore 100% useless in the real world of game and graphics development.

I want to know more about the background of this comment.

To be honest if we are going to get new threads every time an "anonymous source" claims something, this thread should be moved to community, otherwise it ends up discussing the same thing as 2-3 other threads.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I actually am a TIE pilot in the Imperial Navy, rank of Commander.
And I'm Luke's father but, please, don't tell him that - he might get very upset and throw himself down some of those wind tunnels in Cloud City again (I'm still paying for the damages from last time).

So the newest PS4 rumours bode semi-well for the wii U if true. Assuming the discrete graphics is the 7670 and the other is the other one. Seems weaker than what people were anticipating. I think 720 rumours were near identical? That's interesting in itself.

Still will be plenty better, just not as much better as people would have hoped I assume.

ozfunghi

I don't insult anyone, try to articulate my points, and honestly don't want to "stir up the pot".

Well, you certainly insult my intelligence by stating he was talking about the Wii, when not only is the game not coming to Wii, but also when he hasn't even developed for the Wii at all in the past.

Fredrik

Is the power of the console really that important? I mean if we would get games that looks like Uncharted on WiiU, would that be such a huge disappointment? To me it sounds quite awesome to have that level of graphics while at the same time having a second screen.

nordique

The current rumour is quite explainable if true. WiiU is using a more efficient version of the CPU in XBox 360, but its raw power may be less if its clocked lower. WiiU has an ARM CPU to assist with I/O and a sound chip for audio. 360 does all of its I/O and audio for games on the main CPU which can take up as much as 50% of the processor. If a developer ports an engine directly and just puts the entire load (including audio and I/O for the game) on WiiU's main CPU they will only get at best equal results to 360 and possibly worse results without optimisation.

Logical trains of thought like this, sadly, get buried amidst the crazy "jump to conclusions Wii U is weaker than Dreamcast confirmed" messages

Christine

And I'm Luke's father but, please, don't tell him that - he might get very upset and throw himself down some of those wind tunnels in Cloud City again (I'm still paying for the damages from last time).

Roger that, sir. I received no notification that you were in-system; have my mission parameters been altered?

Zarovitch

Is the power of the console really that important? I mean if we would get games that looks like Uncharted on WiiU, would that be such a huge disappointment? To me it sounds quite awesome to have that level of graphics while at the same time having a second screen.

For me it will not be a huge disappointment, but i hope for a little more gravy plus the second screen.

boiled goose

good with gravy

I think the major concern is if it will be powerful enough to get next-gen ports. That at least is what I care about. Have a PC for the higher end stuff. I am pessimistic though ><

When is the last time Nintendo has surprised people with power? The reaction to the 3DS seems mixed regarding power. A huge step over DS, but maybe not quite enough?

I think the problem is that we already are playing games that look like that, and have been doing so for a while.

We need an upgrade.

No, the power isn't really that important.

Not to me it isn't.

This isn't the Wii all over again(liked that console all the same), it's going to be Nintendo's most powerful console ever, in HD, with a snazzy one of a kind controller and all the creative ideas of the one of a kind compnay still intact.

The games won't look like ass(not even compared to the next batch of systems for the other companies unless you break down every aspect of a game while playing it) and the system is out first so it should get a slew of solid third party games that enhance the experience for a while.

The only issue I have is whether the innards of the console has components that will make third party games possible when the other systems launch.

Even if it doesn't, I won't be THAT upset.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The gpu in the WiiU is more powerful than the xenos or the rsx. on paper, it appears significantly moreso. reality, though, given the complexity of next generation graphics features -- IT MIGHT AS WELL BE THE EXACT SAME 2006/2007 GENERATION. it could be 5X the on-paper performance and still eke out no more than a couple extra fps given the same assets and rendering pipeline in real world results -- and can even look worse in early dev situations. until people understand the complexity of current rendering and effects models and why the require GEOMETRICALLY more horsepower (i.e. vastly greater shader resources) to see significant visual improvements at higher pixel counts and frame rates, they're yakking about shit that is wholly, entirely academic and therefore 100% useless in the real world of game and graphics development.

Mmmmm. Have you got some background info?

Top Bottom