• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

ShadowOS

Banned
They're making efforts with those they deem worthy enough. It's just quite possibly Nintendo arrogance at work again. I Hope one day they wake up and really really embrace third parties of all sizes. Imagine what the eshop could be like with more interesting content from some of the smaller devs out there.

i think the problem is that smaller devs can't keep their mouths shut for the life of them. they want attention so they go "hey look at what i got look at me and OOPS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO SAY THAT LOL look at meeeee!". personally if i had hardware that was absolutely crucial to be kept under wraps i wouldn't trust it to someone like that either.

to add to that, i don't know why everyone keeps forgetting there's a large-scale information blackout backed by NDA's on the Wii U. a dev saying "we don't have kits" or "we have nothing in the pipe line right now" can very well be lies. it certainly isn't the first time game devs have straight lied about projects in the works or 'not existing'.

lastly in regards to nintendo's online infrastructure: i'm quite confident it will be good. before i exited the vg industry a little over a year ago, i remember talks about it were just emerging. now to give you a reference point: i wasn't a top tier dev or exec; i was QA... but QA that was heavily involved with online infrastructure for a major company and was around some slightly higher people. from what i heard (did not see), nintendo's online was going to be similar/comparable to that of xbox live's services. so yeah, im personally not too worried about nintendo's online strategy.

wsippel

Banned
Interesting if true. Is it possible to have one quad channel memory controller on there? Since they reside on either end of the 8-core POWER7 stock chip, one of them being cut seems likely. Or would the memory controller end up on the GPU again, as in the GCN? Seems like there's already gonna be a ton of stuff on that component, though...
I believe the memory controller is part of the LSI, yes - but not really part of the GPU.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Rösti;36822047 said:
53 days, 21 hours, 59 minutes according to my calculations.

Wow! This thread's speed is amazing considering the lack of actual info.

AzaK

This thread will hit 20,000 in less than a month. God damn.
And it's only going to grow faster the closer to E3 we get. I don't think it will be humanly possible to hit refresh fast enough come E3. Is there a more sedate place for news come that time like a mellow NeoGAF cafe style chat or something?

I think I'd much rather chill with a few dudes on the day than come here :) After all I'll be up at 4am on my side of the rock.

Terrell

Seriously, what the fuck is going on with Nintendo right now.

No Tomb Raider. Kojima not making anything Wii U related. RE6 not announced for Wii U. Suda 51 has no Wii U dev kits. Epic Mickey not on Wii U.

I'll buy Wii U regardless but Nintendo sure isn't making any effort with third parties.

Tomb Raider doesn't surprise me, given the amount of time it's taking them to get it off the ground, they know they'd never make the WiiU launch.

As for Kojima, well..... he's part of Konami, and the fact that Konami allow him to shun another platform for his game just highlights their current shitty business practices.

RE6 is coming to WiiU, announced or not.

Suda 51 probably has no dev kits because he hasn't ASKED FOR ANY. As a developer without specific publisher affiliations, unless he asks, he's not getting. Nintendo showed their kits to publishers, then publishers asked for some and gave them to their internal development houses. Publishers asked, they received. Since Suda doesn't have a publisher vetting for him to get one, the only way he would is if he asked for one, plain and simple. Considering we're in NDA territory, Nintendo isn't just going to HAND THEM OUT randomly, they'll give them to people who want them. But how does Nintendo know who wants them and are willing to agree to the NDA terms unless those developers ASK?!

Seriously, this isn't tough to discern.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
And it's only going to grow faster the closer to E3 we get. I don't think it will be humanly possible to hit refresh fast enough come E3. Is there a more sedate place for news come that time like a mellow NeoGAF cafe style chat or something?

I think I'd much rather chill with a few dudes on the day than come here :) After all I'll be up at 4am on my side of the rock.
Well, there has been talk of Skype chat or something through the Steam chat room for the NeoGAF group come E3: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/neogaf

I can't really go into detail about what info was said to me and by who, but just because they say it it won't be out for Wii U (RE6 releases 10/2/12) before the rumored Wii U release date (11/18/12), doesn't mean it isn't being worked on under NDA.
Just remember that RE4 was a GC exclusive..... up until it wasn't.

I believe the memory controller is part of the LSI, yes - but not really part of the GPU.

I hate to ask, but could you clarify what you mean by LSI in the context of game consoles? It's "large-scale integration," but not quite a SOC? Are we talking more like the Hollywood multi-chip module?

radcliff

I can't really go into detail about what info was said to me and by who, but just because they say it it won't be out for Wii U (RE6 releases 10/2/12) before the rumored Wii U release date (11/18/12), doesn't mean it isn't being worked on under NDA.

Thanks for coming back to clear that up. I had remembered you were strongly hinting in the last thread that RE 6 was coming to Wii U (I even posted a link to your post a page back).

fernoca

Plus...
It needs to be kept in mind that some of this games (Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 6) not been at launch (or close to launch), doesn't mean that the games won't ever be released. Having Resident Evil 6, Ninja Gaiden III, Tomb Raider, Darksiders II, Batman Arkham City, Assassins' Creed III, on top of every other game and the Nintendo-first party games; would be relatively bad for some of those.

At the same time, is not like they can say much else right now.

Even Warren Spector's stuff about the game not been on Wii U sounded like what Kojima (and everyone else ) said about not been at launch and having to use the unique-ness of the controller, etc.

So, who knows. Of course I'd love all those games day one, but money-wise (for them) it wouldn't make sense.

v1oz

Hmmmmm. Well RE4 definitely was planned and designed from the very get-go as an exclusive. It was only until 11th hour when the board over-ruled Mikami and demanded for a PS2 port. Which was handed off to a different team, hence the reason its not a 1:1 port with the GCN version - cuts were made.

So it's not like they were simply denying the truth and whilst secretly designing a PS2 port all along. Like what you suggest of this unannounced Wii U version of RE6.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'll be worried if EA says that Madden 13 won't be on Wii U. That's when we know there's a problem.

"Madden on Wii U is kind of a special case," said EA. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if we were to make a Madden game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

AmIdoingitrite?

Even Warren Spector's stuff about the game not been on Wii U sounded like what Kojima (and everyone else ) said about not been at launch and having to use the unique-ness of the controller, etc.
Because of complete and utter morons quoting Kojima's statement and replacing the names with Warren Spector's name, trying to mislead people and calling it a "joke"

Pyrokai

I hope not.

I hope not, too, but I'm fully expecting it. As a matter of fact, I'm expecting the only good games to be first/second party titles and collaborations with third parties. I can't see any third party making a game exclusive for Wii U that hasn't been moneyhat'd by Nintendo or something. It's going to be a lazy port console :(

So yeah. For the 20 of you that are going to come back at me for saying that, let me just say that this is what I expect, so therefore I can't be let down. It's a mental thing for me :p

botty

Banned
Now that BurntPork is back, I have more incentive to read this thread.

I hope the Wii U is going to get some compelling third party exclusives (things we don't know about).

Anth0ny

"Madden on Wii U is kind of a special case," said EA. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if we were to make a Madden game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

AmIdoingitrite?

stop posting this shit

you should be banned from the thread

The sports titles will be there. EA talked about the possibilities of Madden on Wii U.

Madden Wii U should have a commentator option, where spectators of online games can pretend to be John Maadrn himself and use the Wii U pad to draw circles and lines like they do on TV!

Terrell

Hmmmmm. Well RE4 definitely was planned and designed from the very get-go as an exclusive. It was only until 11th hour when the board over-ruled Mikami and demanded for a PS2 port. Which was handed off to a different team, hence the reason its not a 1:1 port with the GCN version - cuts were made.

So it's not like they were simply denying the truth and whilst secretly designing a PS2 port all along. Like what you suggest of this unannounced Wii U version of RE6.

The port was in existence well before the GameCube launch and the announcement was delayed until shortly after the game's release and Capcom had landed all the 1st-month sales of the game. NO ONE knew it existed until Capcom had sales of the original game wrapped up. So not exactly similar, but the point is that Capcom can and has kept a secret of this magnitude before, in the interests of their bottom line and maintaining their contract agreements with Nintendo.

fernoca

Because of complete and utter morons quoting Kojima's statement and replacing the names with Warren Spector's name...
Well, he's actual quote did sounded similar, not the fake quote :p

"We've certainly thought about it. It's a really interesting piece of hardware. Unfortunately, we were already too far into development by the time it was announced. So there's just no way we could get it out by the time Wii U launches. I mean, who knows what's going to happen in the future? But for right now, there are no plans. There is all sorts of fun stuff we could do with that controller, though."​

Of course, it was expected. Others wondered why they could just get (Blitz Games) to port it to Wii U, along the PS3/360 ports. The similar excuse was used by Crystal Dynamics with Tomb Raider and many replied to that wth "Fuck you CD!!".

But in the end, having so many "big" titles at launch, while nice could end been bad news for the publishers.

Then again, when it comes to the blame game there's always going to be something. If the game doesn't' sell at launch, is because new buyers are not interested. If the game doesn't sell a few months after launch, is because the people buying it are not interested in those games and if the game doesn't sell after a few years, is because the audience is not interested.

First time I've done it...
I think he's joking,..
since he's the one that was always doing it before. :p

The port was in existence well before the GameCube launch and the announcement was delayed until shortly after the game's release and Capcom had landed all the 1st-month sales of the game. NO ONE knew it existed until Capcom had sales of the original game wrapped up. So not exactly similar, but the point is that Capcom can and has kept a secret of this magnitude before, in the interests of their bottom line and maintaining their contract agreements with Nintendo.

As far as i remember the ps2 port (with extra shit thrown in) was announced before the release of the GC version, thus fucking up the sales of the GC version

Sadist

A different question, but given how quite a few developers/publishers seem to not give a shit about Wii U, I think it's legitimate to tackle the elephant in the room: What if Wii U succeeds ?
Another generation of people whining that a underpowered console with a poor library being the more popular choice among the masses.

magash

Edit:
A different question, but given how quite a few developers/publishers seem to not give a shit about Wii U, I think it's legitimate to tackle the elephant in the room: What if Wii U succeeds ?

Then they (3rd party devs) die. As things stand game companies are either dying or fleeing console game development. Developing for the Wii U is a necessity whether they like it or not.

axisofweevils

Edit:

I'm almost sure it will.
Negativity surrounds every Ninty console at launch.
We just experienced it a year ago with all that talk of how the Vita was going to kill the struggling 3DS - look what happened in the end.

test_account

XP-39C²
Clearly, Nintendo believes that the hardcore want shovelware.

Though, we are talking about the crowd that buys CoD every year, so they might not be too far off...
CoD isnt being categorized as shovelware. Same with yearly sport games, or even Mario games (there is at least one Mario game being released every year).

v1oz

Well the PS2 port was announced shortly before release of the GCN version. And was then released roughly year after that announcement. Which is a pretty good indication that they actually changed their mind. Capcom even said that there was no exclusivity deal for RE4, so there was no reason to be secretive about the PS2 version. Games are usually designed from the beginning to be multi platform so that the code is relatively platform agnostic. Porting the code over to the PS2 was a lot of effort going from the interviews.

Top Bottom