• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Avocado

The system became third place in sales. People need to stop acting like Nintendo's franchises will always save Nintendo consoles.

But, Nintendos franchises DO save Nintendo consoles. If they didn't have that strong first party lineup, they wouldn't have been able to turn a profit.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
it became 3rd place in sales because nintendo didn't continueally support the wii with games. there has been a wii drought for a long time now.

Roo

GameCube had Mario, two Zelda games, two Metroids, two Star Fox's, Kirby, FZero, 2 Pikmins, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Resident Evil remake, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Luigi's Mansion, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Sonic the hedgehog, Phantasy Star online, etc

The system became third place in sales. People need to stop acting like Nintendo's franchises will always save Nintendo consoles.

I'd like to know what third party games saved Nintendo's ass from flopping even harder

$349. Believe.

The controller alone will be enough to surpass the $300 mark

aeroslash

For all the wsippel interesting investigations concerning the GPU since a few days:

From what i can say, there were changes made on the GPU well after June 2011. Now, are we talking about "small" tweaking like boost of frequency, or more intricate modifications that concerns the chip design, i don't know. Is it possible for Nintendo to add a feature (like an improved tesselator), add more SPU, etc, without having to change the GPU too heavily, the board circuitry, bus, all the other components even slightly (because i guess the result must be balanced) ? And if they weren't satisfied and/or under the pressure of developers to boost the hardware, is it possible for them to choose another version of the GPU rather than trying to modifying it too much, this "late" in development ? In regard to videogames history, they can, but i don't know if it's the case here.

For me, this will be my defining factor on the gpu. It doesn't matter how powerful it is if it doesn't feature a great tesselator.
If it does not, the gpu will be obsolete before coming out.

Oddduck

But, Nintendos franchises DO save Nintendo consoles. If they didn't have that strong first party lineup, they wouldn't have been able to turn a profit.

They save Nintendo in the sense of keeping Nintendo profitable.

But Nintendo's first party franchises don't expand Nintendo's marketshare. Nintendo fans will always buy Nintendo consoles. Can we agree on that? So Nintendo will always have a certain amount of marketshare. But Nintendo's problem (before the Wii launched) was they couldn't expand their marketshare beyond just Nintendo fans who love Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pokemon.

Nintendo could release every system from now on, and be dead last in the console race. But they can still be profitable thanks to software sales.

But is that really a good thing for investors in Nintendo? This is why Nintendo needs more than just Nintendo franchises.

GameCube had Mario, two Zelda games, two Metroids, two Star Fox's, Kirby, FZero, Pikmin, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Resident Evil remake, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Luigi's Mansion, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Sonic the hedgehog, Phantasy Star online, etc

Nintendo also made a killing because of those games. A lot of analysts tend to make it out like Nintendo was on the verge of bankruptcy in the GameCube days but they were always pretty safe thanks to software sales (as well as the behemoth that was the GBA).

Releasing the Wii U for anything over 300 would be madness, imo. As important as it is to shed the "kiddy console" image (and this is probably something Nintendo will always struggle with), they do have a strong family audience that's worth a lot of money. Also, I'm cheap.

As far as people viewing Wii U as a stopgap, I'm not sure. I think the reason Dreamcast failed was because it came out 3 years after N64, 4 after PS1, both cheaper consoles with established libraries. Wii U is coming out 7 years after the 360 and 6 years after the Wii/PS3. There might be a bigger appetite for a new console.

nordique

Wii was a 50% faster GameCube with 3.6x more fast RAM (88 divided by 24). Not counting GameCube's 16 MB of extremely slow "ARAM"/DRAM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe you are wrong. I don't understand your point however.

They just need to be careful because lightning doesn't always strike twice. And if it does strike twice, it might not strike as hard as the Wii's sales.

Also, casual gamers don't buy games as much as hardcore gamers.

The thing is, I do not view the Wii as "lightning striking" hence the success. It was a genuinely smart business decision by Iwata and Co.

Lightning implies it was by fluke/chance/random/wherever there was the greatest source of discharge difference; etc...

The Wii as a business platform wasn't that, it was a conscientious decision by Nintendo to attract a larger gaming population that had otherwise been underserved. Sure, Wii's in old folks homes may not tickle the fancy of Gaffers, but it was something that put a lot of smiles on a lot of peoples faces, and in turn gave Nintendo some extra dough at the end of the day.

The Wii should not be viewed as some random stroke of luck. It was a very impressive platform on a business level, it had a great team behind it, and the success was hard-earned.

If Nintendo can do something similar with the UPad, it may have another sales success. Whether or not it performs to Wii levels is a different argument; a different story, and one we will not know for years to come.

But looking exclusively at positioning it as something that may entice sales otherwise not counted for, is something that plays in Nintendo's favour.

tkscz

Are people misinterpreting ideaman again? If I remember correctly, he said that on paper, parts of the WiiU are 5x the 360, but visually, VISUALLY, as in what you see on screen, it looks about 2x as good. That's about the same as what we saw on the Xbox, to what we saw on the 360 when it released. Stop misinterpreting ideaman.

They save Nintendo in the sense of keeping Nintendo profitable.

But they don't expand Nintendo's marketshare. Nintendo fans will always buy Nintendo consoles. Can we agree on that? So Nintendo will always have a certain amount of marketshare. But Nintendo's problem (before the Wii launched) was they couldn't expand their marketshare beyond just Nintendo fans who love Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pokemon.

Nintendo could release every system from now on, and be dead last in the console race. But they can still be profitable thanks to software sales.

But is that really a good thing for investors in Nintendo? This is why Nintendo needs more than just Nintendo franchises.
Pfft.
Investors.
They won't be happy until Nintendo only makes iOS games.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
For me, this will be my defining factor on the gpu. It doesn't matter how powerful it is if it doesn't feature a great tesselator.
If it does not, the gpu will be obsolete before coming out.

you expect the gpu of the nextbox and ps4 to not be outdated when they come out?

Oddduck

We wish :p
no, but honestly, people expecting a 250-299 console will be disappointed.
if Nintendo somehow makes it happen I'll eat crow and apologize but I don't see it happening

People don't expect a 299 or less console.

People just don't want 1/3rd of the console's price to come from a controller.

Anth0ny

PS2 launched at $299 in 2000. I believe N64 and PS1 were retailing at $99 at the time and Dreamcast was $199.

PS2 did just fine. In fact, it killed a competitor in the process!

A $299 price tag for Wii U would be fine. And if it was a serious upgrade over PS3/360, I think even $350 would be warranted. They just need to make it apparent through marketing.

Oddduck

A $299 price tag for Wii U would be fine. And if it was a serious upgrade over PS3/360, I think even $350 would be warranted. They just need to make it apparent through marketing.

That's the discussion though. Most people here think Wii U will be $350. It only warrants that price if the tech is a moderate or serious upgrade from 360/PS3.

I don't know why people are pretending Sony/MS won't drop their prices on 360/PS3 to put pressure on Wii U. It should be a given. Thats Supply and Demand 101.

PS3/360 aren't going to be $250-$300 forever.

PS2 launched at $299 in 2000. I believe N64 and PS1 were retailing at $99 at the time and Dreamcast was $199.

PS2 did just fine. In fact, it killed a competitor in the process!

They will heavily market it as a powerhouse iPad... that you won't take outside home.

Christine

Wii was a 50% faster GameCube with 3.6x more fast RAM (88 divided by 24). Not counting GameCube's 16 MB of extremely slow "ARAM"/DRAM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The memory they added wasn't more of the same. They integrated Gamecube's 24MB of 1T-SRAM onto Hollywood and added 64MB of GDDR3 as the new main memory.

The GDDR3 was likely faster than the 1T in terms of serial access, texture streaming type tasks, but at higher latencies for random accesses.

This wasn't a bad choice per se, but I think quite a few of the less technologically competent third party efforts didn't utilize the 24MB of low latency RAM, effectively treating Wii as having a total 64MB of RAM.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Are people misinterpreting ideaman again? If I remember correctly, he said that on paper, parts of the WiiU are 5x the 360, but visually, VISUALLY, as in what you see on screen, it looks about 2x as good. That's about the same as what we saw on the Xbox, to what we saw on the 360 when it released. Stop misinterpreting ideaman.

Well, i explained already what the 2x means in the mouths of my sources in Thread part 2, it's a feeling experienced in front of what the screens displayed, so you have to consider the main screen AND an intricate use of the padlet. Therefore, it wasn't a direct comparison between two TV, displaying for one, a Xbox 360 version of X game, and for the other, the Wii U version. They didn't report me "hey, it seems there are 2x more polygons in these models, more this, more that, it looks 2x more complex". But it looked better at the moment (some FX will be applied later so it could very well look even sexier in the end) AND with a 3D scene rendered on the padlet.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;36119461 said:
And we yet again have a news drought a.k.a the E3 bear unsuccessfully grasps for the Reggie salmons. Though what IdeaMan has in store should be interesting, through probably not as ravishing as one could anticipate.

If they expect a "Wii U is a real beast (aka 5x xbox360 in all departments)", they will be disappointed, but what i have in store was gathered in a v4 context, with some hindsights concerning the v5 ones. So all could change, and is not 100% truth (a dose of subjectivity for certain informations + second-hand knowledge + other parameters).

Oddduck

Also I think that Forgetthebox article about Wii U's E3 and launch plans and the three new IP's and the wave of 3DS games coming in 2012 was spot on for some reason.

The numbers seem to make sense to me.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Should we expect Wii U to be a beast in any particular departments? Should we expect it to have one or two strengths in its hardware?

Well for example, as i said, the memory is a strength if you expected, like me, the system to have roughly 1GB (roughly because it could had a weird number, a bit higher, but less than 1,5GB).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
If they expect a "Wii U is a real beast (aka 5x xbox360 in all departments)", they will be disappointed, but what i have in store was gathered in a v4 context, with some hindsights concerning the v5 ones. So all could change, and is not 100% truth (a dose of subjectivity for certain informations + second-hand knowledge + other parameters).

are you waiting on confirmation to reveal that information? I'm just curious as to why you're waiting on it because you told us you'd spill the beans in a few days.

Nilaul

Holly... seriouslly If Nintendo will release a console that is only 2x the power of Xbox 360 (It hurts to say this, as Im a nintendo fan-boy) no matter how awesome the controller is, and how cheap the console is, I will not be getting it.

Its a home console, I want it to be powerful, I want it to feel like its worth my money. This aint the wii, were motion controls were introduced and everyone thought its awesome (and still is, if done correctly).

IdeaMan, I'd be very happy with 2x the amount of ROPs as Xbox 360 and PS3 (16 vs 8).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
are you waiting on confirmation to reveal that information? I'm just curious as to why you're waiting on it because you told us you'd spill the beans in a few days.

The "half-confirmation" of my information (not me as i didn't asked for it) was made by lherre several days ago, well, i tried to make my information legit by talking about them to a legit developer :p And for the beans that i'll spill, it's surely tomorrow, but it's just a part of the greater picture, and really non-revolutionary news. Still, it will help narrowing the power range of the Wii U a bit, again in a specific context.

Roo

Holly... seriouslly If Nintendo will release a console that is only 2x the power of Xbox 360 (It hurts to say this, as Im a nintendo fan-boy) no matter how awesome the controller is, and how cheap the console is, I will not be getting it.

graphic horse
Seriously, why not? do you really need that much power on a Nintendo console?

The "half-confirmation" of my information (not me as i didn't asked for it) was made by lherre several days ago. And for the beans that i'll spill, it's surely tomorrow, but it's just a part of the greater picture, and really non-revolutionary news. Still, it will help narrowing the power range of the Wii U a bit, again in a specific context.

Just tell us everything, dammit!!!
Have mercy :(

Nibel

Still not giving a damn about the power of a Nintendo console - since its true strength will always be the software.

Or am I getting too old?

Bear

Wait. Are you hoping it's $349? You actually want to pay a high price for this?

The minimum (reasonable) price is $300, so I don't see how $350 could be considered high when the standard launch prices this gen were $400-600.

It's on the higher end of the expected price range, but I think it could launch at $350 with no problem.

Nilaul

graphic horse
Seriously, why not? do you really need that much power on a Nintendo console?

Just tell us everything, dammit!!!
Have mercy :(

Because I as a student will want to also be able to get darksiders 4 (when it comes out), and other multiplatform games, without the need of owning a few consoles (and thus paying more)

Nintendo always makes some choose in Homeconsoles that makes it complicated for 3rd party.

(3ds needs an cheap developers app like sony did for Vita)

CORRECT THREAD THIS TIME

I'd really like someone to graphically represent what 2x 360 is.

I mean, short of being 720 or two XBoxes taped together.

If it's something like this, then alright, whatever. I play games first and foremost but these graphics would be fine for me.

omzJW.jpg

Oddduck

Because I as a student will want to aslo be able to get darksiders 4, and other multiplatform games, without the need of owning a few consoles (and thus paying more)

Nintendo always makes some choose in Homeconsoles that makes it complicated for 3rd party.

Exactly.

I want a powerful Nintendo console so I don't have to buy Sony/MS's consoles to play the best versions of third party games.

Exactly.

I want a powerful Nintendo console so I don't have to buy Sony/MS's consoles to play the best versions of third party games.

I mean

This was going to happen, anyway. You realize that, right? No matter how strong a Nintendo console is, it will never be the home of the best version of most third party games.

Still not giving a damn about the power of a Nintendo console - since its true strength will always be the software.

Or am I getting too old?

You think power as no relation to software? so you wouldn't care if Wii U costs $300 with old n64 tech because you think power doesn't matter?

Processing power has always had an effect on game design.

Roo

Why not? GameCube, N64, and SNES had power that matched their competitors/rivals. Why is it wrong to want a powerful Nintendo console?

I'm not saying it is wrong, but like you said, they always matched their competitors.
Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 were the exception, no the rule. One being cheap and conservative while the other two didn't care to bleed money like a girl with her period.
Because I as a student will want to aslo be able to get darksiders 4, and other multiplatform games.

Im just sick on Nintendo chooses that always made it complicated for 3rd party.

Well, hopefully there won't be anything to bitch about this time around :p

onilink88

Agreed about the furry space opera. I WANT MY STAR FOX BACK NINTENDO, AND BY GOLLY, YOU WILL GIVE IT TO ME. Incidentally, if anyone's seen Macross, I'd like the dogfights to be as chaotic and similar in scale as those.

Wouldn't want Star Fox to turn into a bullet hell, but I'm with you in that I want a console Macross game. So long as it's handled by Artdink. You should check out Macross Ultimate Frontier on the PSP if you have one. It's a Macross fan's wet dream.

Azure J

CORRECT THREAD THIS TIME

I'd really like someone to graphically represent what 2x 360 is.

I mean, short of being 720 or two XBoxes taped together.

If it's something like this, then alright, whatever. I play games first and foremost but these graphics would be fine for me.

omzJW.jpg

I knew this post belonged here. :lol

But yeah, seriously someone needs to tell me what 2x360 visuals means overall.

Cmd. Pishad'aç;36120395 said:
Some people feel okay paying 600 bucks for an iphone, which they feel is totaly worth it.

Why not ?

350 for a new Nintendo home console seems about right if it truly brings a breath of fresh air to the industry.

Really, though, people usually pay $199 for their iPhone. The $649 price is without a contract.

Oddduck

I mean

This was going to happen, anyway. You realize that, right? No matter how strong a Nintendo console is, it will never be the home of the best version of most third party games.

I disagree.

Every single time Nintendo has gotten the worst versions of a third party game, it was because of hardware limitations. Third parties don't just say "Oh it's Nintendo. Let's give them the worst version of our games".

N64 got the worst versions of Resident Evil 2 and Megaman legends because it used cartridges over CD's.

GameCube got kind of screwed because it had smaller disk space than normal DVD's. Although many third party games did look better on cube than ps2. Cube also had no online.

Wii got worst versions because the graphics were crap and it had crappy online and no harddrive.

In every single instance, it was not the third parties giving Nintendo the worst version of a game just because it's Nintendo. They got the worst version of the game cause their systems always have one limitation or another.

Nibel

You think power as no relation to software? so you wouldn't care if Wii U costs $300 with old n64 tech because you think power doesn't matter?

Processing power has always had an effect on game design.

Nah bro, you didn't get my post.

The Wii U will be powerful enough for HD Nintendo games - that's enough for me.

I don't give a shit about third-party support on a Nintendo console because third-partys don't give a shit about Nintendo consoles.

If you want next-gen third-party games then buy the next Xbox or the PS4 or both like I will. Wii fulfilled its purpose as console for Nintendo games for me; that's good enough in my book.

Top Bottom