• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

I disagree.

Every single time Nintendo has gotten the worst versions of a third party game, it was because of hardware limitations.

N64 got the worst versions of Resident Evil 2 and Megaman legends because it used cartridges over CD's.

GameCube got kind of screwed because it had smaller disk space than normal DVD's. Although many third party games did look better on cube than ps2. Cube also had no online.

Wii got worst versions because the graphics were crap and it had crappy online.

In every single instance, it was not the third parties giving Nintendo the worst version of a game just because it's Nintendo. They got the worst version of the game cause their systems always have one limitation or another.
Your assertions of why the GC was slighted are off. It didn't get the best versions because third parties did not see the point. At one point, Nintendo specifically waived all extra costs and fees for manufacturing multi-disc games, but that did not change the fact that third parties put some of their least-skilled teams on GC ports.

For PS2 leads, you had a PS2 team, an XBox/PC porting team, and the five guys working on the Gamecube version. For XBox leads, you had the XBox team, the PS2/Gamecube team, and that was pretty much it. Sands of Time GC was ported by one guy and it is by far the worst version of the game on consoles.

Having remarkably smaller disc space did not cost the 360 many ports, did it?

Being on par will produce, at best, on par results. Most likely, it will work out poorly again.

Really, though, people usually pay $199 for their iPhone. The $649 price is without a contract.

Here in europe, people don't tend much to buy smartphones via contract.

But with it, final price tends to me higher, or only paying it monthly. To some people it is okay, I wonder if there was a way to adopt that business model to consoles...

burst

The cost of the wiiU won't allow for a wii60 situation like last generation. So unless the cost of the wiiU drops dramatically by the time the 720/ps4 comes out, i can't see nintendo handicapping themselves visually in comparison to the other consoles, at a risk of having a similar situation they are currently in.

You would imagine nintendo would have some idea as to what the other companies are doing specs wise(ninjas), which would allow them to position the wiiU at both a cost effective machine that will come close to matching their rivals.

Culex

Banned
N64 got the worst versions of Resident Evil 2 and Megaman legends because it used cartridges over CD's.

Resident Evil 2 on the N64 is considered a technical MARVEL. 2 CD's with higher res, more content, and better control squished onto one cartridge.

Oddduck

The cost of the wiiU won't allow for a wii60 situation like last generation. So unless the cost of the wiiU drops dramatically by the time the 720/ps4 comes out, i can't see nintendo handicapping themselves visually in comparison to the other consoles, at a risk of having a similar situation they are currently in.

Bingo. It's easy for people to tell others "Go buy a Wii U and a Xbox720/PS4"...but Wii was priced in an affordable manner so people could buy a Wii for Nintendo games plus a 360/PS3 for third party games.

If Nintendo is going to price this as $350-$450 (not including price of having to buy a game for it)...that's the type of price people pay for a console that they expect will be their MAIN CONSOLE. Not just a console for Nintendo games.

Bingo. It's easy for people to tell others "Go buy a Wii U and a Xbox720/PS4"...but Wii was priced in an affordable manner so people could buy a Wii for Nintendo games plus a 360/PS3 for third party games.

If Nintendo is going to price this as $350-$450...that's the type of price people pay for a console that they expect will be their MAIN CONSOLE. Not just a console for Nintendo games.

This is a fine way to leave E3 disappointed.

Sadist

Sands of Time GC was ported by one guy and it is by far the worst version of the game on consoles.
Explains the crappy sound compression of the GC version.

Thinking about it, which MP Gamecube game were considered the superior version above their PS2/Xbox counterparts? Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4 are two, but they were built on Cube hardware ofcourse.

Christine

How would a "hybrid" hardware/software emulation work?

It wouldn't be relevant for the 2D system emulators, which are primarily powered by the CPU. They'll either repackage the roms with new binaries that run on the U's CPU or they'll run them in a Wii compatibility mode.

"hybrid" hardware/software emulation probably refers to the abstraction layer that allows U's CPU to provide the behavior required by Wii software without actually being a 729MHz POWER5 pipeline, paired with silicon that replicates the fixed-function guts of Wii's GPU.

My extremely bullshit opinion is that such a solution would behave more akin to Sony's full EE+GS BC PS3's than their "hybrid" GS only solution. Emulating POWER5 on POWER7 should be cake compared to trying to implement EE on Cell.

Oddduck

Explains the crappy sound compression of the GC version.

Thinking about it, which MP Gamecube game were considered the superior version above their PS2/Xbox counterparts? Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4 are two, but they were built on Cube hardware ofcourse.

I don't remember but was Viewtiful Joe on Gamecube better or worse than the ps2 version?

Boerseun

Banned
I disagree.

Well, I disagree with you.

Every single time Nintendo has gotten the worst versions of a third party game, it was because of hardware limitations. Third parties don't just say "Oh it's Nintendo. Let's give them the worst version of our games".

In that case Nintendo owners must be lucky because their platforms do not often get the worst version of any given multi-platform game.

Nintendo 64 has the best versions of Resident Evil 2 and Megaman Legends. (The cartridge-based storage medium improves loading times but otherwise doesn't really come into it.)

GameCube got kind of screwed because it had smaller disk space than normal DVD's. Although many third party games did look better on cube than ps2. Cube also had no online.

Less storage equalled slightly more compression artifacts in full motion video. Other than that Gamecube had the best traditional gamepad ever making for a much more immersive gaming experience than its competition. (The same could be said for Wii as regards its control system.) The reason Nintendo did not get as many third-party releases had everything to do with Microsoft and Sony partially 'sponsoring' development and/or marketing on just about all third-party releases, which was up until relatively recently something Nintendo refused to do to any great extant.

And Ps2 on-line was barely more used than Gamecube on-line.

Wii got worst versions because the graphics were crap and it had crappy online and no harddrive.

Many multi-format games have their best version on Wii. A few examples include Bully, Dead Space: Extraction, Ghostbusters, The Godfather, Goldeneye, The House of the Dead: Overkill, No More Heroes, Overlord: Dark Legend (>>>>> Overlord 2), Sonic Unleashed, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1 & 2, etc.

Heck, I'd even be willing to throw Call of Duty: Black Ops in there - less players per map make for a more tactical experience, the removal of certain killstreaks improve the play balance, and the superior controls take the game to a whole new level of immersiveness. And it's the best Call of Duty to boot.

In every single instance, it was not the third parties giving Nintendo the worst version of a game just because it's Nintendo. They got the worst version of the game cause their systems always have one limitation or another.

To reiterate, Nintendo do not often get the worst version of a game. But when they do, the limitation you mention may more often be found with the abilities of the third-party than those of Nintendo.

Nilaul

Xbox 360 dvd format:

Xbox 360 was never left out because they didnt have a choice, biggest install base of the HD twins.

Im talking about avoiding a situation like Wii didn't get darksiders because its too weak, even though the developers are die hard Nintendo fans (porting darksiders to Wii was not a viable option to them financially).

There was no battlefied on Wii either, neither was there Resident Evil 5 (not like it missed out on anything) or Racoon. The list goes on.

Boerseun

Banned
Im talking about avoiding a situation like Wii didn't get darksiders because its too weak, even though the developers are die hard Nintendo fans (porting darksiders to Wii was not a viable option to them financially).

Regarding your first point, I own the game on PC and it's hardly a graphical showcase. A Wii port would have been viable from a technology standpoint. And gameplay-wise there isn't anything the Wii couldn't handle, or improve even.

Regarding your second point - had Nintendo put up the budget for a port, there would have been a port. But the same is true for many other projects that could have gone to Wii. Things are looking to change next gen though, with Nintendo being much more eager to pass money around in order to secure content for their platform. (Maybe they just realised that quantity is as important as quality when it comes to making your platform an attractive one for the prospective buyer.)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
From yesterday, he's still staring into his crystal ball:

Michael Pachter said:
My comments on Wii U being "late" mean too little of an advance, will be passed by when X720/PS4 launch. Pricing might save them, though
Source: http://twitter.com/#!/michaelpachter/status/180650791936339968

What price point is he expecting I wonder, $199.99 perhaps? That's the MSRP of the Xbox 360 4GB Console, currently the cheapest SKU of the Xbox 360. And didn't he compare, tentatively, Wii U with Xbox 360, regarding hardware?

burst

pachter guess work could be done by any person on GAF.

Nintendo is doomed, but price might save them. This guy gets paid to do this. wow.

I don't expect Wii U to cost more than $299.99, I think Nintendo learned from their mistake with 3DS pricing. Nintendo will hit a mass-market price with Wii U -- None of this $400-$500 crap.

I just realized Prometheus comes out the Friday of e3 week. Pretty much the best week ever right there.

Edit: I swear Pachter is just trolling you guys now.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'd expect $349.99, assuming the package consists of

Wii U console
Wii U controller
Wiimote plus and nunchuk
Pack in game

I really hope they include the Wiimote plus as standard. This way, developers can be assured of every Wii U player owning one and we won't have another gen of waggle games. So many people didn't bother to upgrade.

Roo

I'd expect $349.99, assuming the package consists of

Wii U console
Wii U controller
Wiimote plus and nunchuk
Pack in game

I really hope they include the Wiimote plus as standard. This way, developers can be assured of every Wii U player owning one and we won't have another gen of waggle games. So many people didn't bother to upgrade.

If they still want support for Wiimote and Nunchuk, they better include them in the box.
Hopefully, they understand the importance of including a second controller scheme for multiplayer purposes.

burst

I can't see them adding wiimote the wiiU sku, they will just bundle wiimotion+ with any game the requires it. I'm assuming the Wiimote+ must cost bugger all these days.

I've said that 100 times. Makes no sense in life at all to package in a wiimote. It's confusing, it'll add to the price, most people already have them, and also nintendo could use it as a source of extra income as an accessory, and of course the main focus of the console is the UPad.

Log4Girlz

Rösti;36122230 said:
From yesterday, he's still staring into his crystal ball:

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/michaelpachter/status/180650791936339968

What price point is he expecting I wonder, $199.99 perhaps? That's the MSRP of the Xbox 360 4GB Console, currently the cheapest SKU of the Xbox 360. And didn't he compare, tentatively, Wii U with Xbox 360, regarding hardware?

When they launch Nintendo will have a convenient price drop waiting.

Anth0ny

Wiimote use for Wii U will be like Classic Controller use for the Wii. A small percent of games will support it. They'll sell them separately.

burst

I predict that they might change their mind and focus on the uPad, in regards to the using the wiimote+ for future zelda games.

zroid

Banned
How does the third iteration of a thread get nearly 5000 posts in less than a week!? YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY

transfuse me your hype, i want it

Top Bottom