• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U + Switch Owners, will you be getting rid of your vanilla Mario Kart 8 game?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I actually wish Nintendo would do a trade-in for Wii U games as Switch remasters come out. (And I hope more come.) All my Wii U games are physical but I'm willing to dump them all for Switch versions (And retire my Zelda Wii U to the closet as a collectors item) so I could continue loving my Nintendo games anywhere. Wii U was a good start, but the fact that it couldn't even beam through most walls (But could beam through the ceiling.) made it a bit limited for "play anywhere" gaming. God I want my Wii U collection on the Switch. I literally only own first and second party games anyway. Even if I have to take them to the NYC Nintendo Store and trade them in.

They won't. But it's a (Nice Dream).

I wasn't enthralled with 8 after playing the demo, so I never got around to buying it. The reviews didn't sell me on the game either. With the inclusion of a proper battle mode in Deluxe, I will gladly add it to the collection.

Fumpster

I traded in my Wii U copy when EB Games was doing their double trade-in credit, so I got $55 for it. The way I see it, this is kind of like spending $25 on a Battle Mode DLC + upgrade for Switch, so that seems worth it to me.

Madao

there are certain game series where i like owning the complete series in physical format (boxes and all that) and Mario Kart is one of those.

also, i still see myself using the Wii U version since the Wii U has an activity log to keep track of the time i put in it. i'll only use the switch version for stuff specific for it (200cc time trial, battle and the new characters)

Nope

Like every Nintendo title, it's only going up in value (compared to what I would get by trading it in anyway)

Did Sony give any kind of "discount" for people who owned TLOU? Uncharted Games? GoW 3?

If not, why would Nintendo be any different?
No, but Sony didn't rerelease those games at full price.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I actually wish Nintendo would do a trade-in for Wii U games as Switch remasters come out. (And I hope more come.) All my Wii U games are physical but I'm willing to dump them all for Switch versions (And retire my Zelda Wii U to the closet as a collectors item) so I could continue loving my Nintendo games anywhere. Wii U was a good start, but the fact that it couldn't even beam through most walls (But could beam through the ceiling.) made it a bit limited for "play anywhere" gaming. God I want my Wii U collection on the Switch. I literally only own first and second party games anyway. Even if I have to take them to the NYC Nintendo Store and trade them in.

That's so far out of the realm of practical business.

tsundoku

This is the only switch remaster

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think a MK9 for Switch is happening. They'll probably just make regular DLC updates to Deluxe.

That would be extremely disappointing, and I loved MK8. Having to buy a game I already own just for access to spend even more for the equivalent content of MK9 would be ridiculous.

My Wii U is used by my younger siblings, while my Switch is 100% mine, so no. But otherwise... still probably not. I like comparing things. I might pick up the Wii U version of BotW eventually.

Yes, I'm a sucker lol.

Zalman

I will keep my Wii U and most of the games I have for it, but in this case I did sell MK8. It'll be redundant to me anyway so no reason to have it around.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nah, in fact I don't really see much reason to buy Deluxe at all. If they threw in a few more tracks they probably could have convinced me.

renzolama

No, because I'm not going to buy the Switch version. I guess I'll be one of the half-dozen Switch owners who doesn't reward Nintendo with another $60 for reselling me a game I just bought two years ago on the platform they were already in the process of abandoning. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my Switch purchase and enjoying BotW immensely, but these full price ports of very recent games (because don't kid yourself, that's what Splatoon "2" is also) are for the birds.

Edit: Now that I got the tough talk out of the way, I'll probably cave and buy Splatoon 2. I hate myself.

Almost.
I missed the trade in deal, and I'm not really a diehard fan of Mario Kart anyway so I will keep MK8, skip MK8D and wait for MK9

I traded it in during the 2x Switch deal and ended up getting most of what I paid back for it. I thought about keeping it, but I didn't see myself going back due to the lack of a battle mode.

Maengun1

I don't sell games, so no. I'm pretty sure I still own every single video game that I've ever bought.

I do wish they were giving some sort of discount on the Switch version for Wii U owners though. But whatever they have me by the balls anyway.

I will if some place like Gamestop does a trade bonus deal. They've done these sort of promotional deals in the past and may very well do one here since they want your old copy of Mario Kart. It's a big seller in preowns.

CANLI

I bought MK8 digitally. Plan to buy it on Switch but not now because Puyo Puyo and Disgaea are coming..

Kurt

Yeah bit pist about buying it again.

But it's portable & battle mode.
It looks so good in handheld mode

I got rid of my WiiU and all the games. Im not a huge fan of hoarding games and game systems. I always sell the old console when a new generation comes out. One of the reasons why im mostly digital.
I really dont like cluttered games and consoles lying around or in storage rooms.

Im weird, i know.

ckfy63a

I'll hold off on selling MK8/buying MK8D until we see more about what kind of game ARMS is like. Since ARMS and MK8D are both being made by Yabuki's team at EPD, it'll be interesting to see if ARMS gets content updates through 2018 (beyond?) a la Splatoon. If so, that signals to me that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be the Nintendo Switch's primary Mario Kart for a while since that team will be busy, so I'll probably double dip and get Deluxe. Otherwise, if they move on from ARMS pretty quickly, I'll hold off since that means MK9 will come around from the team soon enough.

Painguy

I don't plan on getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe unless there is a discount for WiiU owners or some kind of general discount. I've also never thrown away or sold a video game purchase. Don't ever plan too.

GokouD

I still own every piece of game-related stuff I've had since I was 10 years old, it literally fills a whole room in my house, so.....no lol.

I wouldn't. I don't own a Switch but I'm not entirely convinced that the changes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is making to the gameplay are going to be good in the end.

I preferred the changes MK8 made to the Mario Kart formula to cut down on item spam and chaos and MK8D looks like it's trying to bring that back by letting you pick up more weapons

Top Bottom