• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We already know the 2013 titles, launch window officially goes at least until March. And of course, there will be delays. Just like on 3DS, with Luigis Mansion and Castlevania that were assured to hit this christmas, lol.
All of a sudden, the launch will not look so glorious anymore, while no one knows what's coming beyond with this idiotic strategy, that basically relies on launch buyers who must have enough faith in much later announcements.

tumblr_m6lvojgaYn1rqf7ly.gif

Oersted

Pikmin and Zombie U are cool. I'd normally be able to accept those two and move on, but E3 didn't leave me with much confidence for the console's future.

Not so excited about more Zelda, Smash or 3D Mario. We've seen them a thousand times already and they kick ass. They are just predictable. Also, Brawl was disappointing if you like playing a good fighters(regardless of whether or not it is "traditional").

Do you work for Nintendo? Are you trying to be snarky?

I wouldn't say I'm worried. I'm more bored than worried at this point. I just started PC gaming more now that I have a laptop capable of putting out visuals that rival or surpass current gen stuff and the HD consoles are still putting out great games. My Wii just sits there collecting dust since I rarely have any reason to turn it on due to it's closed online nature. Maybe dedicated game machines are just becoming boring to me...

No disagreements here. It'd only be worth it if their hidden stuff actually interests me. I don't want more Nintendo Land surprises.

The way you phrase this makes it sound like his cynicism is warranted even if it gets on your nerves. Is that the case?

they hide monolith and retro stuff. i don´t think this stuff is meant for nintendoland

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
willsmithdamn.gif

Precisely. And ME3 comes with the DLC, so that will be EA's excuse. And when people are pissed and don't want to spend $60 for year old games, both will decide there is no core audience on the Wii U.

The ME3 DLC they will include is the DLC that is free for the other versions though, Extended Cut and all multiplayer DLCs. And it will not include the 2 single player DLCs that each cost 10$.

The only reasons they will have to sell it at 60$ is :

1) "We're assholes and we're ok with that!"
2) "The extra touchscreen map and powers available directly on the Gamepad screen is worth the full price!" Although that goes back to #1.

And this time you are getting Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, NSMB U, Warioware, Zombi U, P-100, Rayman Legends, Rabbids Land, Lego City and ports of four of the biggest winter 2012 multi platform games (AC3, BO 2, Fifa 13, Madden 13), along with older HD multi platform games people might have missed or not picked up yet like ME3, Batman AC, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Darksiders 2.

Then there are the casual / shovelware games like Wii Fit U, Just Dance 4, Sing and even more ports of current multi platform games like Sonic Racing 2 ect.

An unreal launch with the most diverse and varied line up of games i have ever seen.

It seems some people will never be happy and are just greedy...

If the console and it's launch games are not interesting to you then guess what ?, don't buy it and wait for games you do find interesting instead of continually bringing the mood down in here with your crying and apparent trolling.

Well I'm glad someone else is seeing sense. I can't believe the amount of people harping on about 'terrible' Western third party support. It's looking pretty good to me so far. Of course it could be better with the next Tomb Raider (although that's no great loss imo), Bioshock (which is a great loss imo) and Resident Evil 6 (the jury is still out on that one, it can't be much worse than 5, surely..?) but I'd say getting Assassins Creed 3, BlOps 2, FIFA 13, Madden 13 and Aliens Colonial Marines is pretty good. And it's likely that the improved visuals combined with the use of the touchscreen will make FIFA 13, Madden 13 and Aliens Colonial Marines the definitive versions.

And we know that Arkham City and Assassins Creed 3 are going to have v-synch enabled and that Ninja Gaiden 3 is going to be better than the PS3 and 360 Beta versions lol.

And add to that mix the likes of Pikmin 3, NSMB U, P-100, Lego City Undercover, ZombiU and Rayman Legends and you've got some pretty tasty exclusives too. And this is all before the 13th and pre-TGS conference. Doesn't sound too shabby to me anyway, I'm looking forward to it...although I don't know where I'm going to get the money from to pay for it all lol.

Hiltz

For the record, this was Xbox 360's North American launch lineup for 2005.

note: Even if a game is available on PC, I'll still refer to it as exclusive in terms of home console availability. Forgive me if I didn't list some games as actual PC ports.

Perfect Dark Zero
Publisher: Microsoft
Platform:Exclusive

Kameo: Elements of Power
Publisher Microsoft
Platform: Exclusive (originally planned for GameCube then Xbox 1)

Gotham Project Racing 3
Publisher: Microsoft
Platform: Exclusive

Call of Duty 2
Publisher: Activision
Platform: Exclusive (also available on PC)

Condemned: Criminal Origins
Publisher: Sega
Platform: Exclusive (PC port)

Quake 4
Platform: Exclusive (PC port)

Ridge Racer 6
Publisher: Namco

FIFA 2006
Publisher: EA

Amped 3
Publisher: 2K Sports
Platofrm: Exclusive

GUN
Platform: Current-Gen multiplatform

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Platform: Current-gen Multiplatform

Madden NFL 2006
Platform: Current-gen multiplatform

NBA 2K 06
Platform: Current-gen multiplatofrm

NHL 2K6

NBA Live 06

Peter Jackson's King Kong
Publisher: Ubisoft

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

-Best selling game was Call of Duty 2
-Best selling 1st party game was Perfect Dark Zero.

RETRO's game and another large first party title will be shown at the September 13th conference, possibly an EAD Mario game in it's early form.

you may need to be told to swing the tennis racket and not worry about the where the player is, or what buttons to push to get the bowling ball to work, but at the end of the day it's very simple conceptually: swing the racket, roll the ball, punch the guy.

the zelda nintendo land for example, it has you aim with the pad by moving it around, and then pull back on the arrow using the left analog stick, and let go to fire. you can tell someone a wii remote is a tennis racket and they'll understand instantly. you tell someone the wii pad is a bow and arrow and they'll give you a look like you're crazy.

I despise humanity and look down upon their intelligence on an apocalyptic level, and i still think the average human being will understand a couple button presses.

Oersted

RETRO's game and another large first party title will be shown at the September 13th conference, possibly an EAD Mario game in it's early form.

source? or is it wishful thinking? we know it can happen, but without any confirmation its wishful thinking

Hiltz

There was that E3 rumor that Nintendo decided not to show off one 1st party title that was apparently from Retro Studios. To my knowledge, it would be a first for Nintendo to show off a big new 1st party title by saving it for a Fall conference for a new platform before its released if it were to show it there. However, I'm not going to believe Nintendo will, but please prove me wrong, Iwata.

So I canceled my Xbox Live Gold account several months ago because I mainly game on PC nowdays but I miss a few things, namely HBO Go.

I would actually be interested in the Wii U if:

1) It was a decent media server for streaming content like HBO Go and Netflix

2) You can play old Wii games on the pad while other watch TV.

Any news on either of these features?

For the record, this was Xbox 360's North American launch lineup for 2005.

Here is the thing though:

Sony and Microsoft's third party support gets better as a console's life develops due to larger user base. Meanwhile if the past three generations are any indication, Nintendo's third party support gets WORSE as time goes on since devs reallize they can't really make a lot on their system and focus efforts elsewhere. It is very possible that the third party line up at the launch of the Wii U is as good as things will ever be on the third party front, especially when the next consoles are coming in a year or less.

Netflix seems possible, HBO Go seems unlikely. Playing old Wii games on the pad also seems a bit far-fetched, given how many of them require the nunchuck controller, not to mention I doubt you'll be able to use the uPad with Wii games in general.

Well the main game I wanted to know about playing on the Wii U controller was Animal Crossing since it also can be played with standard controls.

But none of that sounds promising at all. Oh well. $250 saved.

Hiltz

Here is the thing though:

Sony and Microsoft's third party support gets better as a console's life develops due to larger user base. Meanwhile if the past three generations are any indication, Nintendo's third party support gets WORSE as time goes on since devs reallize they can't really make a lot on their system and focus efforts elsewhere. It is very possible that the third party line up at the launch of the Wii U is as good as things will ever be on the third party front, especially when the next consoles are coming in a year or less.

It's obviously too early to get a good understanding of Wii U's future third-party party support, but your right about the other things. I was just merely showing the games Xbox 360 had at launch compared to the games we know about so far for Wii U. Of course, we don't have a clear picture of which games will be coming out for Wii U day let alone later that month and beyond.

Where are we getting this from now?

*tempered expectations mode on*

source? or is it wishful thinking? we know it can happen, but without any confirmation its wishful thinking

Do you a have source? Or is this a guesstimate?

Haha, just a guess, sorry! Shows how desperate we all are for info when speculation is taken for fact-wait, we've been doing that since WUST1... :(

Why would you do this to yourself? again?

BECAUSE I CAN. Seriously though, this time I'm certain. RETRO's game is almost 100% for me - another large first party title preview is logic.

NateDrake

Haha, just a guess, sorry! Shows how desperate we all are for info when speculation is taken for fact-wait, we've been doing that since WUST1... :(

It's mostly because you said "will be shown". Didn't sound like a guess. Had you said "I expect" everyone would have known it was speculation.

Banned
I'm thinking the inky way I can finance a Wii U is to trade in my wii and all of its first party gsmes that I kept. But I can't let go of my Metroid prime trilogy or Mario galaxies or Zelda's or DKCR. I could live without Xenoblade, a wii remote, NSMBWii, and maybe brawl. I'm on the fence with Pikmin 1 & 2. Or I could wait like a year and not have to trade in any games. Lol. I wish I wasn't broke.

Also, this conference is going to focus on the launch and launch window for Nintendo and will announce the price and release date with more details on MiiVerse, online, and the remaining NintendoLand mini-games. Nothing new will be shown. Don't get hyped guys.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I can imagine at the end of the conference, Reggie is going "...and now let us show you something..." and then he goes "...just one more tour of Nintendoland!"

The meltdowns would be epic.

Hiltz

I'm thinking the inky way I can finance a Wii U is to trade in my wii and all of its first party gsmes that I kept. But I can't let go of my Metroid prime trilogy or Mario galaxies or Zelda's or DKCR. I could live without Xenoblade, a wii remote, NSMBWii, and maybe brawl. I'm on the fence with Pikmin 1 & 2. Or I could wait like a year and not have to trade in any games. Lol. I wish I wasn't broke.

Also, this conference is going to focus on the launch and launch window for Nintendo and will announce the price and release date with more details on MiiVerse, online, and the remaining NintendoLand mini-games. Nothing new will be shown. Don't get hyped guys.

You'd obviously won't get much for game trade-ins anyway. I remember attempting to trade Metroid Prime 1 at Gamestop a few months before Wii came out and they would only give me $1 for it. I didn't do it. As far as the Sept. conference goes, Iwata told us in July that some new third-party games will be announced. We can only assume most of them will be from Japan given how silent they have been about it and how few have supported the platform so far.

AniHawk

I despise humanity and look down upon their intelligence on an apocalyptic level, and i still think the average human being will understand a couple button presses.

the point is less about people being dumb and more about appealing to people's imaginations. the wiimote succeeded because it was this adaptable thing that could be easily recognized as many other things. the pad can only be one thing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can imagine at the end of the conference, Reggie is going "...and now let us show you something..." and then he goes "...just one more tour of Nintendoland!"

E3 all over again? No thank you. That was a disaster.

Honestly, whoever thought that was the best way to end it should have been fired.

I see you're an optimist. ;-)

But yeah, I wouldn't count on being able to use the uPad for Wii games and/or play them on the small screen.

Hm, okay let's take the controls out of the equation here. If the one of the main features is to play games on the uPad, could it be something as simple as just streaming whatever's on the TV screen? Also I guess you could make the uPad recognisable on old Wii games as a classic controller, so Brawl/Mario Kart would be playable.

Then again, they didn't bother adding Classic Controller support to Gamecube games on Wii and generally have the lowest bog standard level of emulation as possible, so no high hopes here.

Berg

Netflix seems possible, HBO Go seems unlikely. Playing old Wii games on the pad also seems a bit far-fetched, given how many of them require the nunchuck controller, not to mention I doubt you'll be able to use the uPad with Wii games in general.

If Wii games require the wiimote pointing, couldn't the pad emulate that with the motion plus inside? But yea, seems far-fetched

Oersted

don´t be cruel man, don´t be cruel

on a related sidenote: was nintendo ever that silent?i mean, we had atleast 01.net and ubisoft as news provider the last two years.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
E3 all over again? No thank you. That was a disaster.

Honestly, whoever thought that was the best way to end it should have been fired.

"We've got one hour to present our stuff, which doesn't give us a lot of time..." -Reggie

*Waste 15-20 mins talking about Nintendo Land*

ohlawd

I'm thinking the inky way I can finance a Wii U is to trade in my wii and all of its first party gsmes that I kept.

You'll probably regret it if you do trade in your stuff. Just wait a year; the Wii U will probably still be on the shelves by then
because of lack of demand.

Hiltz

Ubisoft revealed some more game details about ZombiU, mostly about the story. Source is Nintendo Magazine UK.

- start out as Peter Johnson
- use a cricket bat to defend yourself
- clueless as to what's going on at first
- storyline is based around three characters who offer the player the point of view on what's going on in London
- main story characters are the mission-givers
- characters will be offering their point of view on the Black Prophecy
- discover another language that you can write in and decrypt for other players

The Prepper

- has a very deep voice with a Yorkshire accent
- acts as your mentor and guide throughout the entire first part of the story
- helps you get started in the game, but has other things to tackle later on
- believes the word of John Dee
- the Prepper expects a second fire to come over London and wipe out the zombies

John Dee

- real historical figure
- considered Britain's Nostradamus
- he was the magus of Elizabeth I, the court astrologer and the first cryptographer
- he was the one who signed his letters to Elizabeth I as 007
- predicted the first Great Plague of London in 1665
- predicted the second in 2012
- The Black Prophecy is that of John Dee
- the Prepper believes that John Dee was right

The Ravens Of Dee

- survivalist group
- semi-pro group
- believe that the prophecy is a warning
- they want to help prepare Londoners to survive and outlive the outbreak
- looking to create a new civilization after

The Scientist

- doesn't believe John Dee's predictions
- junior doctor in the royal household
- hidden down in the bunkers where the Queen has had him continue to explore ways to cure or [find] a vaccine to save the world

Sandra

- leader of the Ravens Of Dee
- wants to follow John Dee's predictions, but not to the letter

The story

- origin of the Prepper and other characters are all built around a big back story
- apocalyptic fiction, zombie fiction and a little bit of historical fiction
- find documentation that discusses John Dee's findings
- go through the story without finding the backstory documents, if you so choose

Survival Mode

- only get one life

Hopes for a sequel

"London gets firebombed but it may rise from the cinders so we don't know. Hopefully there will be a ZombiU 2 and we'll see what happens or maybe even period dress costumes or something. We'll get back to John Dee and run around have to kill Francis Bacon. That would be fun." - Ubisoft's Gabrielle Shrager

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/41343/zombiu-characters-and-story-guide/?page=1

Hiltz

Seems pretty cool. I'm just so glad it's set in UK. Will be brilliant. Still don't quite get how open the game is/how you'll progress.

According to Ubisoft, the game is semi-open world. I agree that it is nice for the game to take place somewhere we really don't see much in games these days.

So I canceled my Xbox Live Gold account several months ago because I mainly game on PC nowdays but I miss a few things, namely HBO Go.

I would actually be interested in the Wii U if:

1) It was a decent media server for streaming content like HBO Go and Netflix

2) You can play old Wii games on the pad while other watch TV.

Any news on either of these features?

Don't know about media server software as in DLNA, but I think they'll have netflix certainly. Hopefully they ink a deal for Sky Player in the UK and/or lovefilm.

You'll be able to play Wii games on the pad, it has a sensor bar and they've demoed Wii fit working with it (i don't believe that was a new game)... No reason it can't work.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"We've got one hour to present our stuff, which doesn't give us a lot of time..." -Reggie

*Waste 15-20 mins talking about Nintendo Land*

I guess I understand the time spent on Nintendoland because they want it to be the flagship title (although it seems to be a game that could only be truly appreciated/understood when playing it directly).

You'll be able to play Wii games on the pad, it has a sensor bar and they've demoed Wii fit working with it (i don't believe that was a new game)... No reason it can't work.

I think that was Wii Fit Plus (the sequel), but I'm of the belief that there's no reason why it shouldn't work. The Pad is basically another monitor, and if Nintendo wants to push the "Play while someone's watching TV" shtick, they'll just make the whole OS accessible via the Pad. Again, it really sucks we don't know all of this yet.

Hoodbury

At this point, it would actually be pretty dang funny if he did that with a sly smile. But then busted out some Retro game or Zelda short clip.

Nintendo's not stupid, they know a CG trailer, or hell, even the title of the next Zelda game will garner shitloads of hype and I'd wager a few Wii U sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom