• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, the game is called Balloon Trip, but the footage of the game is Balloon Trip Breeze.

Therefore, perhaps Breeze is the name of the level, and the other levels will be named after different Weather effects?

Breeze could also be the level of difficulty. "It was a Breeze to get through."
Theres footage of it?

Interestingly, the game is called Balloon Trip, but the footage of the game is Balloon Trip Breeze.

Therefore, perhaps Breeze is the name of the level, and the other levels will be named after different Weather effects?

Breeze could also be the level of difficulty. "It was a Breeze to get through."

I think the game is just called Balloon Trip Breeze.

GameInformer mentioned that Nintendo wanted players to be competitive with this game over Miiverse. I wonder what that means.

AzaK

About the 13th September conference

The bottom part of this message posted 4 months ago is still relevant, for major third-parties.

Meaning they will discover huge aspect(s) of the Wii U the same time we do, probably during this conference. To my surprise, they are still left in the mist for important areas of the system to this date.

It could point toward different scenarios:

1) Those aspects (including online plan, the OS, the dashboard, etc.) will be innovative to an extent Nintendo wanted to keep those secrets as long as possible.

2) Nintendo were/are polishing all these points until very recently so they didn't have the time to implement them in the latest SDK, etc.

3) A combination of both (the likely one).

E X C I T E D

Not many people speculating about this one it seems. IdeaMan, do you know if it's a hardware or software secret?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not many people speculating about this one it seems. IdeaMan, do you know if it's a hardware or software secret?
It's the dark secret of homebrew.. Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

AzaK

It's the dark secret of homebrew.. Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

Ha!

So, in preparation for the presser in a couple of days has everyone bought their Nintendo stocks? Or have they been placed in the toilet roll holder, ready for use the moment it finishes?

About the 13th September conference

The bottom part of this message posted 4 months ago is still relevant, for major third-parties.

Meaning they will discover huge aspect(s) of the Wii U the same time we do, probably during this conference. To my surprise, they are still left in the mist for important areas of the system to this date.

It could point toward different scenarios:

1) Those aspects (including online plan, the OS, the dashboard, etc.) will be innovative to an extent Nintendo wanted to keep those secrets as long as possible.

2) Nintendo were/are polishing all these points until very recently so they didn't have the time to implement them in the latest SDK, etc.

3) A combination of both (the likely one).

E X C I T E D

Didn't see this until it was quoted :p Getting excited now, because it seems like Nintendo have done something really unique with the OS/online implementation. Any more ideas on this Ideaman?

Seeing that balloon flight-trailer makes me wonder what good the second screen does when touch screen is used as main controll method? Couldn't this game idea be done better or just as good with the Wii-mote?

Ok onto page 6 of 145 so far. Led in bed a bit ill so I'm playing catch up on this thread. See you all in a couple of days when I'm up-to-date. Lol

You'd be surprised how much is bitching and whining over tech details. Hint: It's about fifty percent.

Balloon Breeze looks cool, shame it isn't multiplayer.

Penguin

Seeing that balloon flight-trailer makes me wonder what good the second screen does when touch screen is used as main controll method? Couldn't this game idea be done better or just as good with the Wii-mote?

That's gonna happen with a few of the games.

From what I've played, Donkey Kong is a game that could have been done with just a Wii-mote as well.

Competitive as in posting stupid messages in Miiverse like "Oh man, that level was tough" or "Baby Yoshi is soo cute". The kind of competition where no one loses, everyone wins and all get a nice little trophy.

At the very least they need to have some sort of leaderboard system, even if it's just among people on your friends list (sort of like Autolog in NFS). Same thing goes for NSMBU. If they don't want to do actual online play, then at least keep the times among your friends so you have actual competition to go up against.

Jarsonot

You're going to one of those people who act surprised when Nintendo announces ZeldaU will again have motion controls when they've said they're heading in that direction for awhile now. Are you just hoping against hope at this point or what?

I think it'll be able to use the pad, yup.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If the next Zelda game doesn't improve on SS's motion controls, I will be sad.

Make it optional, is all I ask. It's fine if they want to improve it for the people who like motion controls, but the part of the WiiU that appeals the least to me is the 'Hey! Keep your wiimotes! '. I'm quite done with motion controls, and I'm hoping it's just an alternative control scheme.

Make it optional, is all I ask. It's fine if they want to improve it for the people who like motion controls, but the part of the WiiU that appeals the least to me is the 'Hey! Keep your wiimotes! '. I'm quite done with motion controls, and I'm hoping it's just an alternative control scheme.

Well yeah, options are always nice. It annoyed me more with Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass, but it's just as bad for both. Having Nintendo tell us "This is the best, only way to play the game" when there's a much more tactile, tried and tested approach sitting right there is pretty insulting.

Terrell

Don't know if it's old but I hadn't seen it yet, thank you.
I say meh: I expect much more from Nintendo than this already seen (on DS or mobile) touch control shema on a giant map on TV with close up on subscreen.
And that's not the way to demonstrate that Nintendo Land is not 12 minigames but "almost full-fledged game packed with content".
Just like the other games, this is but one mode of it. Calm down.

It's backwards compatible with Wii games but we don't know if the GamePad will support Wii games... or VC games for that matter.

But the common sense thing is that they will... right? I know it's not a huge thing, but it's a fairly big selling point for me.

I think anyway that the Wii Pad has a "TV" button which just switches the display to the Wii U Pad, whatever you have on there.

Thursday will be a very sad day for anyone expecting more than half an hour of Nintendoland and NSMBU, and another half hour about price, date, launch titles and overall strategy.

But the common sense thing is that they will... right? I know it's not a huge thing, but it's a fairly big selling point for me.

I think anyway that the Wii Pad has a "TV" button which just switches the display to the Wii U Pad, whatever you have on there.

don't get your hopes up, the TV button changes channels no stream Wii games
we don't know if it streams Wii games because you need a line of code for the software to stream
if they find a way to do it I'll be very happy to play Xenoblade on the gamepad

The_Lump

Banned
I just spent some time trying to determine why Nintendo's stock is staying so low. I think it has to do something with roboanalsys. I found one site that is willing to give you a generated report that states that Nintendo's stock should be under $6 a year from now and says things like this:

If I knew nothing about Nintendo, I'd not invest, I'd completely ignore it.

But I do know something of Nintendo. Therefore I'm invested.

unfortunately, long term projections in technology sector are based almost entirely on past performance. And Nintendo's recent past performance (stock price-wise) has been poor due to a combination of factors which I'm not going to elaborate upon at all :p

The good news is, long term projections are usually unreliable guff. There's too much you cannot factor in technology companies. There's no way to predict an overnight success. You can only vaguely predict a success full stop. If this weren't the case then we'd all be rolling in the cash we made buying Nintendo stock right before they announced Wii.

Edit: and imho you'd be silly not to buy Nintendo stock right now. It's going to go up very soon regardless of whether WiiU is a phenomenal success.

Sheroking

Other than the occasional good E3 showing, the only time Nintendo reveals a bunch of stuff that sates the collective desire is when we're least expecting it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All I really care bout is
a) release date
b) price
c) launch day games. not launch window
d) prices of accessories like the pro controller or whatever it's called.

Did they ever launch without announcing/showing some games outside of launch period ?

No, but they've never had a final E3 before launch without announcing/showing some games outside of launch period either. And they've never announced new non-launch-window at the press conference where they announce pricing and release dates.

Sorry, Nintendo is considering the Wii Remotes a key part of the Wii U experience, and there's no way mainline Nintendo franchises will ignore them. Motion controls were what made the Wii super popular, and they are here to stay.

Screenboy

All I really care bout is
a) release date
b) price
c) launch day games. not launch window
d) prices of accessories like the pro controller or whatever it's called.

I'm hoping it'll be this straight forward with some hype teasers at the end but knowing Nintendo they'll leave public guessing launch dates by casually announcing that games will be released in launch window, some magic dimension in the distant present.

Dr.Hadji

Well yeah, options are always nice. It annoyed me more with Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass, but it's just as bad for both. Having Nintendo tell us "This is the best, only way to play the game" when there's a much more tactile, tried and tested approach sitting right there is pretty insulting.

Kind of a strange way of thinking. I'm pretty sure they had a vision for the game and made the game they wanted. Its funny that you think its insulting that Nintendo wouldn't give you your desired option when all games don't give you all options to play them. So do you find all games insulting?

Oh and Touch Screen Zelda Controls >>> Normal
Having to never line myself up on a cardinal direction to pick up a pot is such a sweet release.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

software, it's indicated in the post (OS, dashboard, etc.). It seems as an example than third-parties still don't know the real dashboard, they have a placeholder since a long time now.

They will discover a lot of what constitutes the "software layer" (the functions of the system and how they are presented) of the Wii U the same time as us.

AzaK

Didn't see this until it was quoted :p Getting excited now, because it seems like Nintendo have done something really unique with the OS/online implementation. Any more ideas on this Ideaman?

Of course the hype is generated in our minds and could be pretty mediocre when we actually see it, but I am interested to see what could have been considered so secret by Nintendo that they really wouldn't want a competitor knowing about it.

Maybe they have a deal with some third party of some magnitude integrated into their system ...say......Steam.. :)

software, it's indicated in the post (OS, dashboard, etc.). It seems third-parties don't know the real dashboard (they have a placeholder since a long time now) until now.
they will discover a lot of what constitutes the "software layer" (the functions of the system and how they are presented) of the Wii U the same time as us.

OK thanks. I was wondering if it was hardware due to some mention a while back of devkits being all enclosed or some such. Strange that they would keep an OS secret though - they aren't really things people want to copy.

Did they ever launch without announcing/showing some games outside of launch period ?

Good point.
Indeed this would be a first time as far as I can recall; at least back in the day, before Wii launched, at the very least we had already seen some screenshots of Metroid prime, Brawl and we were shown some footage of the upcoming stuff in the pipeline.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
In fact this would be a first time as far as I can recall; at least back in the day, before Wii launched, we had already seen some screenshots of Metroid prime, Brawl and we were shown some footage of the upcoming stuff in the pipeline.

Yeah, Brawl was supposed to be Launch Title, IIRC. I don't think we will expecting any new trailer for SSB4. I meant they just started with developing. I bet that they wouldn't show anything until E3 2013 despite that they have completed prototype engine.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
Could you quote this? The link doesn't work for me.

Oh hang on, the whole site doesn't work for me! Was it juicy? Maybe the ninjas arrived :p

This is where things get tricky from the foundry perspective. A foundry might be willing to give a Tezzaron the information. But consider this: “Nintendo’s going to build their next-generation box,” said Patti. “They get their graphics processor from TSMC and their game processor from IBM. They are going to stack them together. Do you think IBM’s going to be real excited about sending their process manifest—their backup and materials—to TSMC? Or maybe TSMC will send it IBM. Neither of those is ever going to happen. Historically they do share this with OSATs, or at least some material information. And they’ve shared it typically with us because I’m only a back-end fab. I can keep a secret. I’m not going to tell their competition. There’s at least a level of comfort in dealing with a third party that isn’t a competitor.”

They way he words it, it sounds like AMD and IBM send there chips/designs to them(Tezzaron) and then they fab it. Look up 3D, 2.5D chip stacking.

jerd

software, it's indicated in the post (OS, dashboard, etc.). It seems as an example than third-parties still don't know the real dashboard, they have a placeholder since a long time now.

They will discover a lot of what constitutes the "software layer" (the functions of the system and how they are presented) of the Wii U the same time as us.

That actually makes a lot of sense in a weird way. Had Nintendo announced some great OS features at E3, sony and microsoft would have had time to whip up something similar to it (a copy if you will ;-)) in time for the launch window.

The_Lump

Banned
This is where things get tricky from the foundry perspective. A foundry might be willing to give a Tezzaron the information. But consider this: “Nintendo’s going to build their next-generation box,” said Patti. “They get their graphics processor from TSMC and their game processor from IBM. They are going to stack them together. Do you think IBM’s going to be real excited about sending their process manifest—their backup and materials—to TSMC? Or maybe TSMC will send it IBM. Neither of those is ever going to happen. Historically they do share this with OSATs, or at least some material information. And they’ve shared it typically with us because I’m only a back-end fab. I can keep a secret. I’m not going to tell their competition. There’s at least a level of comfort in dealing with a third party that isn’t a competitor.”

They way he words it, it sounds like AMD and IBM send there chips/designs to them(Tezzaron) and then they fab it. Look up 3D, 2.5D chip stacking.

Ur correct, Tezzaron would be an OSAT and this guy is saying they would usually be provided with the info. I don't have the context of the report/article though so I'm not sure what this implies.

Edit: the link worked now. Certainly seems strange that he's talking about 3D stacking and Nintendo if they're unrelated. Could be a good find there buddy :)

stupidvillager

Neo Member
To me the 'stack them together' part is a turn of phrase, I wouldn't have read that as stacking the chips.

And ur correct, Tezzaron would be an OSAT and this guy is saying they would usually be provided with the info. I don't have the context of the report/article though so I'm not sure what this implies. Is he just bragging or has he got info?

Stacking seems to be the specialty of Tezzaron, so I dont think it would just be a turn of phrase. Whether he has info and if they are doing anything I dont know, he could just be using Nintendo as an example.

The_Lump

Banned
Stacking seems to be the specialty of Tezzaron, so I dont think it would just be a turn of phrase. Whether he has info and if they are doing anything I dont know, he could just be using Nintendo as an example.

I've heavily edited my post as the link worked :p Could be a nice find as I'd doubt he'd mention Nintendo specifically if they weren't relevant to his point.

Have we heard anything before about 3d chip stacking in WiiU? Pretty sure I read something about in the Durango/Orbis speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom