• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

That actually makes a lot of sense in a weird way. Had Nintendo announced some great OS features at E3, sony and microsoft would have had time to whip up something similar to it (a copy if you will ;-)) in time for the launch window.

Will be interesting to see anyway. I'm hoping it's something big and not just something Nintendo thinks is big if you get my drift because OS features in a games console generally ain't high up on my list of industrial secrets.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
I've heavily edited my post as the link worked :p Could be a nice find as I'd doubt he'd mention Nintendo specifically if they weren't relevant to his point.

Have we heard anything before about 3d chip stacking in WiiU? Pretty sure I read something about in the Durango/Orbis speculation.

Yeah, saw that after I posted, sorry. I think only people asking if possible and then quickly getting dismissed.

The_Lump

Banned
Been digging around for hardware info and randomly stumbled accross this in a strange place.

4fiag.jpg

Was this a mockup from GAF?

Edit: I'm not implying it's real, just found it in an odd place. I kinda like it :)

Yeah, Brawl was supposed to be Launch Title, IIRC. I don't think we will expecting any new trailer for SSB4. I meant they just started with developing. I bet that they wouldn't show anything until E3 2013 despite that they have completed prototype engine.

While unlikely, I wouldn't say it's out of the question.

Development for Brawl began in Oct 2005, and we got a trailer in May 2006 for E3 2006. That's 6-7 months of time to develop the game and make a trailer.

Sakurai started on SSB4 in end of January/early Feb, and now it's August. That's about 7 months time right there.

The_Lump

Banned
Yeah, saw that after I posted, sorry. I think only people asking if possible and then quickly getting dismissed.

Hmmm. He could just be plucking Nintendo out of the air, but maybe not? The increase in efficiency and decrease in power consumption 3DIC provides would certainly interest Nintendo. I've a feeling the tech was still a bit too young for Nintendo to be looking at it in 2009 though when they started putting WiiU together.

AzaK

Ur correct, Tezzaron would be an OSAT and this guy is saying they would usually be provided with the info. I don't have the context of the report/article though so I'm not sure what this implies.

Edit: the link worked now. Certainly seems strange that he's talking about 3D stacking and Nintendo if they're unrelated. Could be a good find there buddy :)

Based on the text in this article it would seem Tezzaron is not an OSAT. If that's the case, then the original article reads to me like Nintendo was just used as an example of someone using an OSAT but maybe those types of clients could move to using Tezzaron.

As Ann Steffora Mutschler writes in a post titled “The Changing Role of the OSAT,” on SemiMD, “OEMS are gaining dominance in the ecosystem.” She interviewed Raj Pendse, of STATS ChipPAC, Ron Huemoeller, of Amkor, for the OSAT perspective and Bob Patti, of Tezzaron, from the user perspective.

They confirmed that too.
add a user selectable handle instead of a friend code and I'm happy. Whatever system they put in place I'll live with so long as I don't have to type in (and remember) a 12 digit code.

software, it's indicated in the post (OS, dashboard, etc.). It seems as an example than third-parties still don't know the real dashboard, they have a placeholder since a long time now.

They will discover a lot of what constitutes the "software layer" (the functions of the system and how they are presented) of the Wii U the same time as us.

Don't know if you can find out but surely all the NDA's for Wii U will be over after Thursday, freeing developers to talk freely about their projects and feelings on the hardware ?.

Been digging around for hardware info and randomly stumbled accross this in a strange place.

4fiag.jpg

Edit: I'm not implying it's real, just found it in an odd place. I kinda like it :)

Prob a fan man mockup but i would take it right now as the Dashboard tbh, really not a fan of the Miiverse thing other than it maybe being on the tablet screen alone or a stand alone 'app' like PS Home.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

4fiag.jpg

Yeah, that's a mockup. I'd link you to an old article I found through Google Image Search but it's a banned site here.

Regarding the Penny Arcade D&D idea, I would wholeheartedly embrace a game like that. The idea could also apply to iPad using AirPlay through the Apple TV and 360 using SmartGlass too.

The_Lump

Banned
Based on the text in this article it would seem Tezzaron is not an OSAT. If that's the case, then the original article reads to me like Nintendo was just used as an example of someone using an OSAT but maybe those types of clients could move to using Tezzaron.

Could be right, I just thought OSATs were outsourced fabricators/testers effectively. And that's what I figured Tezzaron do?

Prob a fan man mockup but i would take it right now as the Dashboard tbh, really not a fan of the Miiverse thing other than it maybe being on the tablet screen alone or a stand alone 'app' like PS Home.

Me too, I like this design a lot. Looks like an evolved Wii 'channels' menu

The Site Whose Name Should Not Be Named put it up but they didn't make it, failing to source a number of IGN users for other images they posted up.

It is interesting though how a like it ended up to the same shape of WiiU we have on the box art and it was pre-E3...ofc both could be based on the Gamecube design.

It looks more a fan mock up of the WiiU store than the actual main page (which will probably be similar to the Wii design, but as you move over different 'channels' - they appear on the pad).

stupidvillager

Neo Member

add a user selectable handle instead of a friend code and I'm happy. Whatever system they put in place I'll live with so long as I don't have to type in (and remember) a 12 digit code.

If they are not an OSAT, what would they be? From their website.
"Tezzaron Semiconductor is the world leader in 3D-ICs. We specialize in 3D wafer stacking and TSV processes, cutting edge memory products, and wide-ranging collaborations. In 2004 Tezzaron demonstrated the world's first successful wafer-stacked 3D-ICs with TSV, including microprocessors, sensors, and SRAM devices. Since that time the company has worked with dozens of customers to create custom 3D-ICs for prototyping and commercialization. The company has produced extremely fast memory prototypes and builds memory devices for both standalone and stacked applications."
Do they take the info from the perspective companies, design the chip, and then send it off somewhere else?

Sheroking

Sorry, Nintendo is considering the Wii Remotes a key part of the Wii U experience, and there's no way mainline Nintendo franchises will ignore them. Motion controls were what made the Wii super popular, and they are here to stay.

If a Wii remote isn't included in the box, I will bet you quite a lot that this isn't true, and that the Wii remote will only come into use in backwards compatability and tacky multiplayer modes.

As a matter fact, I'll bet that if the next Zelda game uses manditory motion controls from the Wiimote, I will eat an unwashed 20 dollar bill and put the video on YouTube.

EuroMIX

4fiag.jpg

Honestly, the channel setup hurts my eyes. I'd prefer it if it were flat, like with the Wii, just maybe rearranged a bit. I'd like it if Channels like the Disc and Shop ones were given greater prominence and locked to the top/side, maybe.

I'd also really like a dedicated VC channel with the option to add shortcuts to games to the menu.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

jmizzal

Yeah, Brawl was supposed to be Launch Title, IIRC. I don't think we will expecting any new trailer for SSB4. I meant they just started with developing. I bet that they wouldn't show anything until E3 2013 despite that they have completed prototype engine.

SSB4 did not just start development, it started development around E3 2011, thats over a year. You really think they waited to start development on the game until KI was 100% shipped in all markets?

Kid Icarus Uprising went gold in Jan 2012, i'm sure Sakurai was already collaborating with Namco before then working on the early stuff with SSB4.

Nintendo was not gonna wait so late to start development on one of their biggest games, trust me this game will be coming by Fall 2013.

Nintendo even put the 3DS version on its last release list

Of course the hype is generated in our minds and could be pretty mediocre when we actually see it, but I am interested to see what could have been considered so secret by Nintendo that they really wouldn't want a competitor knowing about it.

Maybe they have a deal with some third party of some magnitude integrated into their system ...say......Steam.. :)
Hiding that until now would be the dumbest shit I've seen in my entire life and I've been surfing the net for nearly a decade now. That takes some real stupid.

I'd rather they be stupid as hell though. Gimme the Steam U pls
SSB4 did not just start development, it started development around E3 2011, thats over a year. You really think they waited to start development on the game until KI was 100% shipped in all markets?

Kid Icarus Uprising went gold in Jan 2012, i'm sure Sakurai was already collaborating with Namco before then working on the early stuff with SSB4.

Nintendo was not gonna wait so late to start development on one of their biggest games, trust me this game will be coming by Fall 2013.

Nintendo even put the 3DS version on its last release list
Good luck with that.

AzaK

Someone just posted at reddit. A weird xbox controller was found at Valve, and it just happens to look like it has a screen built into it.

Oh man.

It looks like a mirror for checking that you look good whilst playing.

If they are not an OSAT, what would they be? From their website.
"Tezzaron Semiconductor is the world leader in 3D-ICs. We specialize in 3D wafer stacking and TSV processes, cutting edge memory products, and wide-ranging collaborations. In 2004 Tezzaron demonstrated the world's first successful wafer-stacked 3D-ICs with TSV, including microprocessors, sensors, and SRAM devices. Since that time the company has worked with dozens of customers to create custom 3D-ICs for prototyping and commercialization. The company has produced extremely fast memory prototypes and builds memory devices for both standalone and stacked applications."
Do they take the info from the perspective companies, design the chip, and then send it off somewhere else?
Yeah I'm confused and they could be. It was just that bit in the article that threw me off.

I don't think any console in history launched with no post-launch window games announced.

Nintendo is so fucking weird
They will be doing that this week by all accounts.

I don't think any console in history launched with no post-launch window games announced.

After 3DS's launch, this makes a lot of sense (for them). Only give people titles that will be released launch window so people don't feel cheated when the awesome games they unveiled with the system aren't there at launch. Until Paper Mario is released, there are still 3DS games from e3 2010 that haven't been released (although the game shown and the present one are clearly based on different prototypes). That's ~2.5 years.

The hype created by all the initial unveiling is (in their reasoning) why they over-priced the 3DS. People weren't just excited for the system but for Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and so on. By only giving us titles from launch/launch window they can more accurately gauge interest and set a more reasonable price.

I guess people asking for "Prime 4" haven't really played the Prime trilogy, have they? Story arch is complete and finished, and there's absolutely no need to shoehorn more games and events before the SR388 story (Metroid II) especially since the whole stuff about Samus losing her powers at the beginning of every game is starting to get old and really random in order not to break the canon. Either Metroid V or Metroid "-1" make more sense, as all they have done since Fusion (IV) back in 2001 is making up in-between stuff like Prime Trilogy + Hunters (1.5) and Other M (3.5)

You're forgetting about that mystery ship at the end of Prime 3 ;oD

jmizzal

I'm sure they will she post launch window games before launch

If they dont show any between Sept 13th and TGS our last hope would be Oct Nintendo direct lol, but thats just torture to keep NDA's and embargoes going on that long.

ozfunghi

All three Metroid Prime games combined: 4.4+ million worldwide.
Donkey Kong Country Returns: ~5 million worldwide.

Yeah... and how many copies would DKCR have sold had it been made by any other studio?

~5 million

This comparison is all kinds of wrong and makes no sense whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom