• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Sorry if this has already been addressed (haven't been keeping up as of late) but I've been hearing some talk that the Wii U will only support Wii Motion Plus. Any truth to that?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sorry if this has already been addressed (haven't been keeping up as of late) but I've been hearing some talk that the Wii U will only support Wii Motion Plus. Any truth to that?

I believe it is determine based on the game being played.

big_erk

Any chance we might see hardware revisions 2-3 years down the line to make manufacturing cheaper? If so I fear for wii backwards compatibility :(

I don't think Wii BC will be as much of an issue as GC BC was. I think the biggest cost associated with GC BC was the drive. The original Wii optical drive was special because it could accept 8cm GC disks making the drives costlier than normal slot loading drives.

RedSwirl

No, but I believe the Platinum Engine has, for most part, performed best on PC-similar console hardware balance/architecture like the Xbox 360. Deferring tasks to the CPU was an issue with the PS3, and deferring tasks to the GPU will be an issue with the Wii U. Granted, Bayonetta's shitful PS3 port was because SEGA did it, not Platinum, and Vanquish performed admirably. But my point is that this is new hardware, with new problems, problems that the Platinum Engine has not dealt with before.

I hope (and assume) Nintendo and Platinum will spend plenty of time meticulously optimising the engine for the Wii U, so the game does not suffer current-gen-portitis, given it is primarily a current generation engine.

After seeing Vanquish I really don't think it's an issue with the engine. Bayonetta was the first game on that engine right? Plus, it was also the only one that tried to run at 60. Vanquish was more stable likely because it led on PS3. This time they've got precisely one console to optimize for so I think it will, at the very least, be an extremely technically sound game.

majik13

As said before, depends on the game, and I think NintendoLand requires it.

Makes me wonder if they will sell a NintendoLand with motion+ packed in.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't know if its already been posted elsewhere, but I just noticed that Gamestop is now sold out of the white/basic set as well. Its looking increasingly likely that all launch day units will be accounted for long before November 18th.¹

This news will surely help Reggie argue for poaching more units from the Europe and JPN allocation.

Notes: ¹With the exception of the Nintendo World Store and the Times Square Toys R Us. I'm sure they won't have pre-orders and instead use the launch to drive traffic.

I don't know if its already been posted elsewhere, but I just noticed that Gamestop is now sold out of the white/basic set as well. Its looking increasingly likely that all launch day units will be accounted for long before November 18th.¹

This news will surely help Reggie argue for poaching more units from the Europe and JPN allocation.

Notes: ¹With the exception of the Nintendo World Store and the Times Square Toys R Us. I'm sure they won't have pre-orders and instead use the launch to drive traffic.

In-store pre-orders are all dried up at Best Buy too. Nintendo always has an extra shipment for those who didn't pre-order though and that's basically called the Black Friday line......

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well damn. Kind of bold on their part, even though it's understandable why they would want that standard.

Edit;

Ah, I see. I suppose I'll have to upgrade sooner or later regardless, as I imagine the Motion Plus-required experiences would be the more compelling ones.

Sorry about that "yes." I initially misread your question.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Here's a speculation exercise for the weekend.... how much, do you figure, the deluxe unit costs to produce over the basic? The extra flash memory, the stands, charger, and the cost to stamp out a Nintendoland disc?

----

ps. Has Nintendo released the dimensions of the Wii U retail box? Is the deluxe packaging going to be larger?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I pre-ordered NSMBU and I'm thinking of picking up ZombiU day one, hoping that it won't be a Red Steel repeat.

I'm cool, right? I'm cool.

Drago

So Nintendo is making an extremely thin profit on Basic WiiUs, I think? I imagine Deluxe sets will make slightly more profit...

Well, profit is profit. ;p

What are the chances of Wii U Game Disc installs on our portable hard drives? I have a new 500GB Seagate just waiting for the Wii U to show up......

netBuff

Here's a speculation exercise for the weekend.... how much, do you figure, the deluxe unit costs to produce over the basic? The extra flash memory, the stands, charger, and the cost to stamp out a Nintendoland disc?

Z8Vmi.jpg
HCcvg.jpg

The following items are included with the Premium Pack compared to the Basic Set:
- more storage space
- a sensor bar (included with Basic Pack in the US)
- a charging cradle
- Nintendo Land
- two plastic stands
- Digital Promotion

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
No, but I believe the Platinum Engine has, for most part, performed best on PC-similar console hardware balance/architecture like the Xbox 360. Deferring tasks to the CPU was an issue with the PS3, and deferring tasks to the GPU will be an issue with the Wii U. Granted, Bayonetta's shitful PS3 port was because SEGA did it, not Platinum, and Vanquish performed admirably. But my point is that this is new hardware, with new problems, problems that the Platinum Engine has not dealt with before.

I hope (and assume) Nintendo and Platinum will spend plenty of time meticulously optimising the engine for the Wii U, so the game does not suffer current-gen-portitis, given it is primarily a current generation engine.
I believe that the main issue was that the 360 was the target platform and Platinum didn't have enough man power or expertise to build a decent Ps3 version. And that won't apply here for obvious reasons. I'm sure that the game will perform at least as good as Bayo 360. Else Nintendo will cut the project cold.

ugoo18

There was a minor tactical element to it. You would roll the die and move x number of steps. But sometimes this would bring you to one of the Dark Knight spots on the board. So you either took the risk of the DK appearing and sending you to a dungeon, or moved a smaller amount of steps. Great fun!

The most broken thing was the whirlpool opening/closing mechanic. Once it became clear a player had both a treasure and the key, the other players would constantly open/close the board, making it impossible for him to finish. Oh god, I played the game one time in college with some friends and we harassed the "winning" player until he quit the game in disgust :D

Gah i want to find another copy of this game to play again lol

Kacho

I pre-ordered NSMBU and I'm thinking of picking up ZombiU day one, hoping that it won't be a Red Steel repeat.

I'm cool, right? I'm cool.

I imagine so. Nintendo backing the title as much as they have been gave me enough confidence to pre-order it and I absolutely despise Ubisoft. I can't imagine Nintendo would be promoting the hell out of it if they weren't confident the quality was up to snuff.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait, the Basic Wii U doesn't come with the sensor bar?

I thought the GamePad used the Sensor Bar in some way.

For me, ZombiU is going to be easily better than Red Steel but I think the next game in this series(if it sells) will be really dam good.

I'm always wary of games desperate to make it to launch, wouldn't mind it delayed but I can see why it won't be.

Japanese devs tend not to have much at launch actually, they've historically been loaded with cheap Puzzle and Board games too. For previous major consoles within the first month.

Famicom
-nothing

PC Engine
-nothing

MegaDrive
-nothing

Super Famicom
12.01.90 Ka-Blooey! (Kemco)
12.16.90 Actraiser (Enix)
12.16.90 Populous (Imagineer)
12.21.90 Final Fight (Capcom)
12.21.90 Gradius III (Konami)

Neo*Geo
-nothing

3DO
03.20.94 Chiki Chiki Machine Wacky Races (Future Pirates)
03.20.94 Ultraman Powered (Bandai)

Sega Saturn
11.22.94 Myst (Sunsoft)
11.22.94 TAMA (Time Warner)

PlayStation
12.03.94 A-Train IV Evolution (ArtDink)
12.03.94 Mahjong Gokuji Tenku (EA)
12.03.94 Mahjong Station Mazin (Sunsoft)
12.03.94 Nekketsu Oyako (Tecnosoft)
12.03.94 Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (Konami)
12.03.94 Ridge Racer (Namco)
12.03.94 TAMA (Time Warner)
12.09.94 Detana TwinBee Yahoo! Deluxe Pack (Konami)
12.16.94 King's Field (From Software)
12.22.94 Geom Cube (Tecnosoft)
12.22.94 Houma Hunter Lime: Special Collection Vol. 1 (Asmik)
12.22.94 Jikkyou Power Pro Yakyuu '95 (Konami)
12.22.94 Kakinoki Shogi (ASCII)
12.22.94 Twin Goddesses (PolyGram)
01.01.95 Battle Arena Toshinden (Takara)

PC-FX
-nothing

Nintendo 64
06.23.96 Saikyou Habi Shogi (Seta)

Dreamcast
12.23.98 Seventh Cross (NEC HE)
12.23.98 Tetris 4D (BPS)

PlayStation 2
03.04.00 A-Train VI (ArtDink)
03.04.00 DrumMania (Konami)
03.04.00 Eternal Ring (From Software)
03.04.00 Kakinogi Shogi IV (ASCII)
03.04.00 Kessen (Koei)
03.04.00 Mahjong Takai (Koei)
03.04.00 Morita Shogi (Yuki Enterprise)
03.04.00 Ridge Racer V (Namco)
03.04.00 Stepping Selection (Jaleco)
03.04.00 Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom)
03.23.00 Golf Paradise (T&E Soft)
03.30.00 Dead or Alive 2 (Tecmo)
03.30.00 Driving Emotion Type S (Square)
03.30.00 Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco)

Gamecube
09.14.01 Super Monkey Ball (Sega)

Xbox
02.22.02 Air Force Delta: Storm (Konami)
02.22.02 Dead or Alive 3 (Tecmo)
02.22.02 ESPN International Winter Sports 2002 (Konami)
02.22.02 ESPN Winter X-Games Snowboarding 2002 (Konami)
02.22.02 Genma Onimusha (Capcom)
02.22.02 Jet Set Radio Future (Sega)
02.22.02 Nobunaga no Yabou: Ranseiki (Koei)
02.22.02 Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (Konami)
02.22.02 Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions (Bunkasha Soft)
02.28.02 Kabuki Warriors (Genki)
02.28.02 Metal Dungeon (Panther Software)
03.14.02 Shikigami no Shiro (MediaQuest)
03.21.02 GunValkyrie (Sega)

Xbox 360
12.10.05 Final Fantasy XI Online (Square Enix) beta
12.10.05 Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)
12.10.05 Tetris The Grand Master Ace (AQi)
12.22.05 Dynasty Warriors 5 Special (Koei)
12.29.05 Dead or Alive 4 (Tecmo)

PlayStation 3
11.11.06 Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight (Bandai)
11.11.06 Ridge Racer 7 (Namco)
11.11.06 Sega Golf Club (Sega)
11.16.06 Mahjong Fight Club: Zenkoku Taisenban (Konami)
11.22.06 Mahjong Taikai IV (Koei)

Wii
12.02.06 Crayon Shin-Chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii (Banpresto)
12.02.06 Elebits (Konami)
12.02.06 Ennichi no Tatsujin (Namco)
12.02.06 Escape from Bug Island (Spike)
12.02.06 Kororinpa: Marble Mania (Hudson)
12.02.06 SD Gundam Scadhammers (Bandai)
12.02.06 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Sega)
12.02.06 Super Swing Golf (Tecmo)
12.02.06 Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Atlus)
12.02.06 Wing Island (Hudson)
12.14.06 Bleach: Shattered Blade (Sega)
01.01.07 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (Bandai)
01.01.07 GT Pro Series (MTO)

Wii U
12.08.12 Dragon Quest X Online: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku (Square Enix) beta
12.08.12 Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom)
12.08.12 Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Tecmo)
12.08.12 Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (Namco)
12.08.12 Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (Koei)
12.13.12 San Goku Shi 12 (Koei)
12.xx.12 Fist if the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Koei)
12.xx.12 Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)

Scum

I know you guys will laugh at me for saying this, but I applaud Nintendo for including an HDMI cable. I was so damn sure they wouldn't bother, but they proved me wrong.
5YRcF.gif

WillyFive

I know you guys will laugh at me for saying this, but I applaud Nintendo for including an HDMI cable. I was so damn sure they wouldn't bother, but they proved me wrong.
5YRcF.gif

Including an HDMI cable should be the standard. I applaud Nintendo for putting it in, and still am flabbergasted that the others do not.

Meelow

Banned
5YRcF.gif

Yeah I was shocked they are packing in a HDMI cable, I'm very happy about that.

ohlawd

Yeah but the HDMI cable bundled with the Wii U is garbage. It's not diamond-studded and gold plated. Nintendo being Nintendo. Always taking the cheap way out.

Scum

Including an HDMI cable should be the standard. I applaud Nintendo for putting it in, and still am flabbergasted that the others do not.
Indeed, it should be.

Yeah I was shocked they are packing in a HDMI cable, I'm very happy about that.
Same here. :D

Yeah but the HDMI cable bundled with the Wii U is garbage. It's not diamond-studded and gold plated. Nintendo being Nintendo. Always taking the cheap way out.

lol

----

ps. Has Nintendo released the dimensions of the Wii U retail box? Is the deluxe packaging going to be larger?

Deluxe will be the same. And I think the Deluxe costs are not that much more than the Basic so Nintendo is going to have some decent earnings from that package.

What are the chances of Wii U Game Disc installs on our portable hard drives? I have a new 500GB Seagate just waiting for the Wii U to show up......

I hope there will be optional installs.

5YRcF.gif

You weren't the only one not expecting that to be included.

DjRoomba

Banned

Others dont cos it doesnt give them any profit. They cant charge extra for an HDMI cable when they already have their set prices. At least they never tried to sell their own Microsoft/sony branded hdmi cords

Phazon

I am pretty sure there will be a Nintendo Direct in October, they still need to talk about the Virtual Console, Nintendo Network, and 2013 games coming after March.

Next Nintendo will be about Miiverse, apps and online stuff I think.

Actual new announcements are for the beginning of next year (probably in februari, when they kept their conference)

Next Nintendo will be about Miiverse, apps and online stuff I think.

Actual new announcements are for the beginning of next year (probably in februari, when they kept their conference)

Naw I think their next ND will mostly feature 3ds games since the NA 3ds releases for this holiday and next year seem pretty barren. We will most likely learn about the wii u OS, apps, features and etc. when the console launches because TBH I don't think it's all finished yet. This is the same company that did not release the 3ds eshop until 4 months after the system launch

filler

Banned
Any word on when demo units should be showing up in stores? How many days before launch did Wii demo units start showing up?

Drago

What I expect for next (NA) Nintendo Direct:

-Full blow out of everything WiiU; OS detailed, eShop detailed, Wii transfer detailed, online network detailed, Virtual Console/WiiWare demonstration, all that jazz.
-Reveal of a few more WiiU launch window games that weren't unveiled before
-Detailing of the rest of the 3DS year, games, downloadable games, new apps, new colors and bundles? Plus a look into 2013. Maybe a new game announcement.
-The JP and EU shows will be better

At least, this is what the show should be...

Naw I think their next ND will mostly feature 3ds games since the NA 3ds releases for this holiday and next year seem pretty barren. We will most likely learn about the wii u OS, apps, features and etc. when the console launches because TBH I don't think it's all finished yet. This is the same company that did not release the 3ds eshop until 4 months after the system launch

It looks barren this year, only 4 notable titles:

Paper Mario, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Epic Mickey Power of Illusion, Skylanders.

Early next year is already better, maybe not in quantity but definitely quality:

Luigis Mansion 2, Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, and most likely Animal Crossing.

Terrell

Well, ND are usually bi-monthly. Expect one near the 3rd week of Nov. Hopefully it'll be info about Nintendo Network and Miiverse.

The system will be RELEASED by then, why would we need a Nintendo Direct to talk about features we can actually USE instead?

Meelow

Banned
What I expect for next (NA) Nintendo Direct:

-Full blow out of everything WiiU; OS detailed, eShop detailed, Wii transfer detailed, online network detailed, Virtual Console/WiiWare demonstration, all that jazz.
-Reveal of a few more WiiU launch window games that weren't unveiled before
-Detailing of the rest of the 3DS year, games, downloadable games, new apps, new colors and bundles? Plus a look into 2013. Maybe a new game announcement.
-The JP and EU shows will be better

At least, this is what the show should be...

That's what I also hope will happen.

P.S this is completely off topic but does anyone have the link to the old NeoGAF in 1999+ days? I want to see the topics lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom