• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to get the ZombiU Premium Pack, BLOPS2 and Assassins Creed3 at launch myself.
My Girlfriend is buying NintendoLand and Rayman Legends so we're pretty much set for the next few months.

Batman will be mine on either 360 or Steam once I get around to it.

where did you pre-order blops2?

Edit: Anyone else had a go of Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge yet?

Roo

After some thoughts, I'll just get NSMBU, Rayman Legends and ZombiU at launch.
I'll wait till next year to get the rest

Eideka

Banned
At least Mario should be a safe bet that it is a good game. Also ACIII seemed very solid at gamescom, for me on par with the other versions

The Wii U version has higher res textures as well, by virtue of running on a console with 1gb of ram available for games.

I've decided to get the ZombiU Premium Pack, BLOPS2 and Assassins Creed3 at launch myself.
My Girlfriend is buying NintendoLand and Rayman Legends so we're pretty much set for the next few months.

Batman will be mine on either 360 or Steam once I get around to it.

Did you get a chance to try zombi?

Edit: Anyone else had a goof Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge yet?

Is Nintendo helping out on the enhancements with this port, or is it all Team Ninja?

My wishlist (I say this because I may not have the money for all)

NSMBU
ACIII
ME3

next year

W101
Pikmin3
MHU
Bayo2

not on list but want

Need for Speed Most Wanted
Dead or Alive 5

not on list but games I wish could learn to enjoy

ZombiU

I hate horror anything so when I buy them its a waste of money because I don't enjoy the experience of feeling fear or looking at gross things

oh yeah my dreamlist

GTA V
some kind of Dota/Diablo type game
Skyrim or Witcher type game

Edit: Anyone else had a goof Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge yet?

I didn't, I'll just buy it in store on Launch. Here in Austria there's not much need to preorder games.

Did you get a chance to try zombi?

Yeah I played it at Gamescom (E3 Demo). The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but the gameplay had me hooked. With the recent footage shown, the game looks better than what I played and I expect the one bite kill mechanic will really work in the final game, as it was kind of inconsequential in the Demo to lose a character, since you didn't lose anything really.
The controls are fine. They are a bit slow, but the game isn't Call of Duty, so that's allright. I just hope that in the final game the massive aim assist that was present in the demo is gone. It actually detracted from the gameplay. Melee and shooting require a sense of rythm, like old school RE2 where you could kill Zombies with 3 shots if you timed the bullets right instead of spamming the trigger using up to 6 or 8 bullets.
The cricket bat was my weapon of choice though and killing with it really needs good timing and spacial awareness.
Gyro aiming was great, and I truly hope that we can use it in other shooters for sniping etc...

1. Zombi-U, Colonial Marines, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3
2. Really not sure with what's been announced so far...
3. Legend of Zelda Four Swords (five swords?). Its still Nintendo's best multiplayer game, and it even helped pioneer asyncronous play. I can imagine all sorts of nutty creativity here.

I think the best thing right now is to wait for reviews for anything not Nintendo made. Day one Nintendo Land for me but the rest I am waiting on, especially third party multiplatform games.

Looks like Batman gets put on the wait and see list. Which is fine, I'm only like 2/3s of the way through Asylum. Still a shame though, it could have been so much more. At this point I don't know what else I want to go with. I'm getting NSMBU and Darksiders 2 for sure (and Nintendo land with the system). Outside of those 2 I'm not sure what else I'm going to go with.

Yeah I played it at Gamescom (E3 Demo). The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but the gameplay had me hooked. With the recent footage shown, the game looks better than what I played and I expect the one bite kill mechanic will really work in the final game, as it was kind of inconsequential in the Demo to lose a character, since you didn't lose anything really.
The controls are fine. They are a bit slow, but the game isn't Call of Duty, so that's allright. I just hope that in the final game the massive aim assist that was present in the demo is gone. It actually detracted from the gameplay. Melee and shooting require a sense of rythm, like old school RE2 where you could kill Zombies with 3 shots if you timed the bullets right instead of spamming the trigger using up to 6 or 8 bullets.
The cricket bat was my weapon of choice though and killing with it really needs good timing and spacial awareness.
Gyro aiming was great, and I truly hope that we can use it in other shooters for sniping etc...

Awesome news. We've heard a few say the latest build it notably better than the e3. Not just visually, but collision as well. Can't wait to check it out.

Apparantly Nintendo is helping out.

Speaking of Tecmo-Koei... is Fist of the North Star 2 bound for a western release?

I think a few days back I must have read in another thread something hinting at Nintendo been involved in the development of NG3WiiU.

You may have just sold me a copy. Blindly I might add. A little of nintendo's magic could go a LONG way in that game.

Looks like Batman gets put on the wait and see list. Which is fine, I'm only like 2/3s of the way through Asylum. Still a shame though, it could have been so much more. At this point I don't know what else I want to go with. I'm getting NSMBU and Darksiders 2 for sure (and Nintendo land with the system). Outside of those 2 I'm not sure what else I'm going to go with.

Any hands on impressions of darksiders 2 yet? I might replace arkham city with this on the pre-order list.

Javier

A few days ago Hideki Kamiya was asked on Twitter if any Nintendo devs were helping with the developing of Bayonetta 2. His answer was something like "It's common practice on all titles they publish."

There's a short but overall positive hands-on from a gaffer who's tried it at a recent Wii U event in Frankfurt, just search for the "Back from Wii U experience" thread, sorry I can't copy and past the link of the post I'm referring to right now
believe it or not I'm posting from my Wii

Thraktor

A few days ago Hideki Kamiya was asked on Twitter if any Nintendo devs were helping with the developing of Bayonetta 2. His answer was something like "It's common practice on all titles they publish."

I'm pretty sure that all third party collaborations are overseen by producers in SPD.

I've decided I'm going to wait for the reviews before buying any launch game (aside from Nintendoland.)

One of the reasons I'm not planning on buying any consoles until at least a year after release. I have 0 faith in developers and publishers to not try and fuck over the consumers in some way.

CaVaYeRo

I played last Friday, posted my hands-on impressions (Spanish).

Looks like it's the most "mature" and "hardcore" version, period. It adds difficulty, it adds Ayane's hotness, it adds dismemberment, it adds weapons changing & level progression.

It looks similar though (some bland textures too), but framerate and pace were cool compared to other games (like SEGA racing...). I see myself playing this a bit more than the original. Maybe up until the end :)

Wait, "SiNG PARTY" is a launch title? I don't think I've seen any coverage of playable, never mind the fact that for a song based game, not a single word about tracklist and such has been forthcoming at all...

I mean, this could've been the earliest stable build that they were using, but come on, if that's the best that you can show off, from a year old game ported to hardware with twice the RAM and considerably better GPU, faster Disc read speed then I think it speaks volume of their will to invest in this port.
The final retail version could be fine, but I'm not risking 60 bucks to check it out. If I buy this at all, it will be used or on a sale.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone from Rocksteady say that the entire demo was just dumped onto the ram in order to have a demo ready? Would that cause some of these issues as it was clearly not optimized to take advantage of the RAM in a meaningful way?

RagnarokX

The person he was responding to said that. Kamiya just said "yes".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone from Rocksteady say that the entire demo was just dumped onto the ram in order to have a demo ready? Would that cause some of these issues as it was clearly not optimized to take advantage of the RAM in a meaningful way?

No, if it were completely in RAM the engine would display the textures immediately. THis is a case of complete lazyness as they successfully recreated early UE3 games texture load problems.
It's mind boggling that something like that would even happen in 2012.

And even ignoring the graphical problems, the games controls were a mere dump job from the 360 layout, complete with button layout and analog to gyro sensitivity.
Dreadfull.

Steph_E.

Here is the lowdown.

1 - TVii will work, from a programming guide / change your channel standpoint, with all major providers including DirecTV, Comcast, Charter, AT&T, etc.

2 - While the DVR interaction has so far only been announced for TiVo, in the interview linked below, the guy seems to intimate that they hope to have it working with other providers later. Even if it is not there day one, it can be updated/patched later. He actually says "Yes" to if it will work with DirecTV dvr, then backpedals. Not sure if he misunderstood or that they just aren't ready to announce it.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cStP8vTWXoo&list=UUcfVIkwtBbunmSgELQF8DWg&index=3&feature=plcp

(lots of other Wii U interviews I hadn't seen before too by that guy)

TVii should be available on the other side of the Atlantic too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One part of me hopes Killer is Dead gets a Wii U port, cos that would be dope.

Another part of me suspects it would be a total disaster, and look/run worse than the 360 build. And that would be lame.

Grasshopper, do good. Cos I like yer games.

That...sounds like a capcom cash move, so it's probably an accurate statement on your part lol. Holding the pro controller with the gamepad right in front of you seems pointless to me. Now if this were something like Skyward Sword where you needed the Wiimote to even play the game, then yeah sure. Make a semi-futuristic zelda and let the screen be his new companion(since we know we will have one). Do all sorts of modern and futuristic stuff involving both motion, puzzles as well as the screen of the pad.

Right here though? Seems pointless. Cool, but pointless.

Wii U Zelda really needs to do this.
Doesn't have to be futuristic, but it should totally have the gamepad be the companion (randomly yelling out helpful things, and occasionally being used for some puzzles) while the player controls Link with the Wiimote+ a la Skyward Sword.

jacksrb

I don't know if there is anyone else interested in the game, but I'm getting VERY worried about Arkham City. We haven't received any new trailers or any other info since E3. Hell, was it even at the Wii U New York press event? I hope WB Montreal has this title under control :\

I am really interested in Arkham City too.

Although I haven't pre-ordered and will only buy if the reviews are solid (i.e., they don't mess it up).

Judging from the Gamescom Demo I'd advise anyone to stay the fuck away from that shoddy ass port. The technical problems are one thing, but the horrible controls and shoddy gamepad implementation just tell you that they had no intentions of making a decent port.

I know a guy who went to a recent event, and he backs your claims up.

To anyone who has preordered Batman: bail out. Now.

I don't know why anyone would expect the Wii U Experience build to be different than the E3/Gamescom build - just like all of the other things they are showing (as far as I know).

Not to say that it will be fixed, just that I wouldn't take that as a sign of doom.

AndTAR

I suddenly realized the usefulness of the Game Pad Universal Remote..

IMO, way too many expensive HDTV's have really horrible-looking, "generic plastic slab" remote controls. This could kinda solve that issue, if they manage to include just a couple extra buttons, such as a menu key and directional buttons for menus.

One part of me hopes Killer is Dead gets a Wii U port, cos that would be dope.

Another part of me suspects it would be a total disaster, and look/run worse than the 360 build. And that would be lame.

Grasshopper, do good. Cos I like yer games.

Isn't Suda51 a total Nintendo fanboy?
Would you really think given the opportunity to port the game to Wii U that he'd totally botch that port?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Isn't Suda51 a total Nintendo fanboy?
Would you really think given the opportunity to port the game to Wii U that he'd totally botch that port?

He does indeed like Nintendo, but he's a company CEO that has had less and less to do with each game, and gets way more credit than he deserves (note: I do think he's a very talented and great asset to the company. I have a signed copy of Killer7 for a reason!). He really hasn't been involved really heavily in the production of any game since No More Heroes.

The onus on performance and port quality would be on their programmers, and the project's working budget. Grasshopper's software history isn't exactly know for outstanding quality in terms of performance. And Killer Is Dead will be an Unreal Engine 3 game. It's the worst combination possible!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Huh? Is that a question? Or a statement of fact? If it's a statement of fact, what is the source? Is this because of the ME3 Trilogy thing?

I'm exaggerating, but I'm dumbfounded at EA not putting the trilogy on Wii U. EatChildren has a great post about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom