• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Sure, you put granny (or even your non gaming parents) in front of either wii sports or Nintendoland and they'll give you a blank stare.

But give them a wiimote and tell them it's a tennis racquet and they know what to do. Now hand them a huge tablet/controller thingy, and explain that this funny little stick on the left moves the character on the screen around, and the A button makes home jump - no I don't know why it's called 'A' it doesn't matter gran.

Coming from a gaming background they look simple enough that anyone should understand, but they won't. Not nearly to the same level as the wii

Well, for those there is Takamaru's Ninja Castle and Balloon Trip Breeze. But yes, Nintendo Land is a little bit harder for Newbies than Wii-Sports.

NFreak

I'm guessing the December 4th date is from the Amazon listing which has been listed as such for a while. It's already been confirmed that it's delayed until Q1 2013 so December is out of the question. On a similar note, when Ubisoft announced the game for Q1 2013 does anyone know if they refer to their fiscal quarters or the actual first quarter of the year?

Deband

Nope, I believe you only need the Wii Remote Plus. Played Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Mario Chase at the Wii U Experience thing. Didn't see any Nunchucks at any of the NL Demo stations.

Do you need wiimote pluses? I only have two from my launch day Wii, never bothered to pick up any others.

bomma_man

That's the whole point

*sees a purple door*
*shoots at it*
"I can't open it... looks like I have to wait until I get the power up for it"
*gets the WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MEN Beam in Area A*
*goes back to Area B to open purple door*
"Yay new area to explore!"

Ha, that's why I can't stand Metroidvanias. I just don't find it fun or rewarding, it's basically just a memory test.

Deband

Sorry, there's no indication that pluses are required. And as stated earlier, Metroid Blast requires a nunchuck, though many of the others don't.

Sure hope not. They are £35 each on Amazon. I'll be sad if I need to spend another £70 minimum just to get the most out of Nintendoland.

Oersted

Do you need wiimote pluses? I only have two from my launch day Wii, never bothered to pick up any others.

Depends on the game. Obviously. Can´t remember a WiiU game with a "needs W+" announcement. Maybe 007 Legends. But that is obviously a "won´t miss".

Bet that the upcoming Zelda game needs it.

Edit: Found this:

Deband

Depends on the game. Obviously. Can´t remember a WiiU game with a "needs W+" announcement. Maybe 007 Legends. But that is obviously a "won´t miss".

Bet that the upcoming Zelda game needs it.

Edit: Found this:

Jesus Nintendo. That's terrible news for me. Guess I just wait and see what games require it on launch day.

Sure hope not. They are £35 each on Amazon. I'll be sad if I need to spend another £70 minimum just to get the most out of Nintendoland.

Just recently I had to cope with the same issue in order to play Skyward sword, and I chose to purchase a WM+ used add-on for some 10€ at a Gamestop point; it was the cheapest solution and it works fine, for sure there's a bunch around if you don't feel like having to shell out 35£, either way you may want to have one in the future.

As for Skyward sword, it was definitely worth it, I found it much better than I expected.

so the Pro controller does not work on Wii games? this seems odd I am waiting for a reliable source to link to but been seeing this bs on twitter for a few hours now

not that I give a damn I need to buy Motion Plus might as well pick up a classic pro too but still odd news that would be if true

Bumhead

Banned
Just getting my head around the Wii accessory minefield myself at the moment. I think I'm going to go for WM+ anyway just to future proof myself, seeing as I don't have any Wii stuff as an existing starting point, but yeah that stuff is more expensive than I would ideally like to be spending.

Shancake

I'm actually not sure what to do... I currently have one Wii Mote +, One Regular Wii Mote and 2 Regular WIi Motes with Plus attachments..

I actually hate the bigger wii motes though.. What is everyone else doing?

minefield is right sounds like this console is not backwards compatible at all it's TWO Consoles!

each side has its own demands
KuGsj.gif

Deband

Just recently I had to cope with the same issue in order to play Skyward sword, and I chose to purchase a WM+ used add-on for some 10€ at a Gamestop point; it was the cheapest solution and it works fine, for sure there's a bunch around if you don't feel like having to shell out 35£, either way you may want to have one in the future.

As for Skyward sword, it was definitely worth it, I found it much better than I expected.

Yeah that seems like a good plan. The add-on is only £12.90. I'd love to have 2 or 4 nice shiny new WM+, especially the new colors, but with the console coming so soon I just couldn't stretch to that right now.

zoukka

so the Pro controller does not work on Wii games? this seems odd I am waiting for a reliable source to link to but been seeing this bs on twitter for a few hours now

not that I give a damn I need to buy Motion Plus might as well pick up a classic pro too but still odd news that would be if true

Not odd. Infuriating. I don't even mind the cost of everything, but the fucking pile of plastic that takes over my shelves once I get Wii U and dust off my Wii controllers...

Easily the biggest flaw in Wii U right now for me personally.

Not odd. Infuriating. I don't even mind the cost of everything, but the fucking pile of plastic that takes over my shelves once I get Wii U and dust off my Wii controllers...

Easily the biggest flaw in Wii U right now for me personally.

more than the plastic it's the amount of wires I hate most

D-e-f-

Banned
Back pics have surfaced. It is certainly different from before.

WUF DC IN? S-SW? DRC WRC? No way that's a retail until.

Of course they're not retail units, they're demo units! Should've been obvious given that they're tethered and are ...well ...demo units with multiple game previews on them.

Have we seen an official final unit's backside yet? I'm assuming it would just have the AC, HDMI, AV, sensor bar and USB ports.

in last weeks Iwata Asks.

LOL is Kotaku Frank Gallaghar in that scenario? :D

everyone who wanted the white because the black would get dirty will have to wait a few months so see what those white gamepad look like at Demo Stations :shiver:

edit: to be fair we don't really know if SmartGlass has any lag when it comes out... the only thing is you have to own something else to use it

Of course SmartGlass will have lag. It's based around separate apps that have to communicate with a game via hardware that wasn't even meant for this. I highly doubt Nintendo would make such a big deal about the no-latency thing if it were that easy.

(WUP-S-KAFC)

hmm I've see WUP before

but not KAFC

cafe?

well the end part of that product code always refers to what the item is exactly and sometimes it includes initials on games. KAFC could indeed refer to Café.

Nintendo Land definitely REQUIRES Wiimotion+!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm actually not sure what to do... I currently have one Wii Mote +, One Regular Wii Mote and 2 Regular WIi Motes with Plus attachments..

I actually hate the bigger wii motes though.. What is everyone else doing?

you look set. perhaps buy a WM+ addon for your remaining wiimote. Then over time you can opt to replace the bulky WMs with nice WM+ integrated ones.

I just saw a silly news item. "Careful, Your New Wii U Might Have Been Manufactured By Children"
KuGsj.gif
got to love these anti-China BS

people who have no idea what it means to raise children in dirt poor families in less fortunate areas was to tell you be careful about supporting this product because the factory allowed some kid in.

sure ignore the iPhone being made by the same company and throw the Wii U under a Bus

my reply to this is "Wii U for Kids by Kids!"

Of course SmartGlass will have lag. It's based around separate apps that have to communicate with a game via hardware that wasn't even meant for this. I highly doubt Nintendo would make such a big deal about the no-latency thing if it were that easy.

well the end part of that product code always refers to what the item is exactly and sometimes it includes initials on games. KAFC could indeed refer to Café.

I'm not saying that SmartGlass will not have lag all I am saying is to be fair we do not know if it is bad enough to write home about. It could just match current TVs and get a passing grade.
I see it as a foolish move by MS if all they did was put an app together without some kind of better solution for lag. Maybe the Surface Tabs they are trying to sell you has that hardware tech in it while your iPad sucks at it so they can say well we are better than Apple buy Surface using Win 8.

You are correct after looking it up KAF turns out to be from Amazon.JP it was the Japanese black Wii U = K = Kuro

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm not saying that SmartGlass will not have lag all I am saying is to be fair we do not know if it is bad enough to write home about. It could just match current TVs and get a passing grade.
I see it as a foolish move by MS if all they did was put an app together without some kind of better solution for lag. Maybe the Surface Tabs they are trying to sell you has that hardware tech in it while your iPad sucks at it so they can say well we are better than Apple buy Surface using Win 8.

You are correct after looking it up KAF turns out to be from Amazon.JP it was the Japanese black Wii U = K = Kuro

I'd still be surprised if that whole SmartGlass nonsense even goes anywhere aside from TVii like implication or some terribly forced stats stuff for first party games.

You expect video signal that is sent over a standard wifi connection to be comparable to dedicated hardware with proprietary compressing algorythms?

Wifi is enough for video content, as the delay is irrelevant, but it's just a poor substitute that no one would consider seriously for real time, reaction based gameplay. Sure maps and all the menu functionalities will work just fine, but forget about gyro aiming with decent fps or transmission rates.

kunonabi

I'm pretty much set for controllers. I have four WM+/nunchuk sets and a couple of cc pros as well. I have no interest in the pro controller whatsoever. I may buy a zapper if they release the one they showed in that e3 debut video though.

Oersted

I just saw a silly news item. "Careful, Your New Wii U Might Have Been Manufactured By Children"
KuGsj.gif
got to love these anti-China BS

people who have no idea what it means to raise children in dirt poor families in less fortunate areas was to tell you be careful about supporting this product because the factory allowed some kid in.

sure ignore the iPhone being made by the same company and throw the Wii U under a Bus

my reply to this is "Wii U for Kids by Kids!"

Well, child labour is obviously wrong. Their parents should be able to make enough money. But this is not case, so as a kind of temporary solution it is wrong but somehow acceptable. The other way was already seen in the sweat shops-incidents. They have been boycotted, the kids ended up at the red light districts.

At the end of the day, employers at these companies deserve more money and more rights.

Foxconn reaction:
We recognize that full responsibility for these violations rests with our company and we have apologized to each of the students for our role in this action... it is also a violation of Foxconn policy and immediate steps have been taken to return the interns in question to their educational institutions.

Nintendo:
Nintendo is in communication with Foxconn and is investigating the matter. We take our responsibilities as a global company very seriously and are committed to an ethical policy on sourcing, manufacture and labor. In order to ensure the continued fulfillment of our social responsibility throughout our supply chain, we established the Nintendo CSR Procurement Guidelines in July 2008. We require that all production partners, including Foxconn, comply with these Guidelines, which are based on relevant laws, international standards and guidelines. If we were to find that any of our production partners did not meet our guidelines, we would require them to modify their practices according to Nintendo’s policy. For more information about Nintendo’s Corporate Social Responsibility report, please visit http://www.nintendo.co.jp/csr/en/index.html.

RE: SmartGlass

I understand what you guys are saying but it ends up making Microsoft look like fools and if EA/Ubi/Activision end up trying to use that clusterfuck we will all have a nice laugh but I seriously have some doubts that they are this stupid and do not have some kind of trick we are not aware of.

Also Sony fans seem to think the Vita/PS3 solution is decent

If the Pro Controller not working for Wii games turns out to be true picking one of these could solve some of the issue if the quality is good enough

Nintendo has to have a reason for that strange twist.

Well, child labour is obviously wrong. Their parents should be able to make enough money. But this is not case, so as a kind of temporary solution it is wrong but somehow acceptable. The other way was already seen in the sweat shops-incidents. They have been boycotted, the kids ended up at the red light districts.

At the end of the day, employers at these companies deserve more money and more rights.

Foxconn reaction:

Nintendo:

Clearly it is a problem depending on where you live and the circumstances you are raise around. Something is right or wrong only when we say it is. You have to be able to feel that it is wrong. I am not saying I want my Wii U gamepad to be put together by an 8 year old... but if people are saying a 14 year old cannot work for Foxconn, I cannot see the fuss in me changing my purchase to punish them for it.

I grew up in Haiti a very different life than this cushy one I have here in the US where I take many things for granted these days. I would be a huge hypocrite if I did not understand why children work instead of being at schools in some regions of the world. I am glad people are trying to change things but at times we take these great ideals of Right and Wrong and apply it to everyone else even when we end up doing more harm than good.

japtor

RE: SmartGlass

I understand what you guys are saying but it ends up making Microsoft look like fools and if EA/Ubi/Activision end up trying to use that clusterfuck we will all have a nice laugh but I seriously have some doubts that they are this stupid and do not have some kind of trick we are not aware of.

Also Sony fans seem to think the Vita/PS3 solution is decent
Hard to tell how that'll turn out. If they still want to work with whatever phone/tablet there's only so much they'll be able to pull off on platforms out of their control (cough iOS), whereas with Nintendo or Sony they can do whatever they want or need to do.

Last I recall they were going through javascript, which would let them run everywhere, but beyond that I have no clue, I guess I'd expect some wrapper/shell app though. By running stuff on the mobile hardware itself they have less data transfer/sync to deal with, but I could see platform variability possibly being an issue, depending on the complexity/performance of the javascript used. I could see it being more difficult to work with dev wise if they leave it open to multiple devices. Instead of essentially another video output and a touch input on the Wii U, there's another set of code to maintain (depending on fanciness of the dev tools), along with however many devices you want to (have to?) be compatible with to test against.

All that said, I could see the simpler types of things working fine like maps and status/menu type of things, and some async gameplay stuff (and a lot more if they go with native app development). Off TV play would probably be possible with noticeable but possibly negligible lag (depending on the game), but there's the issue of limited inputs on most devices. It could work with on screen buttons or other types of touch controls but I'd rather just play with the regular controller.

don't talk to me about controllers. i had 3 wii remotes, two nunchucks and two motion plus add ons. the plan was to buy a couple of pros and drop one of the wii remotes.

well i couldn't find my motion plus add ons. anywhere. turned the house upside down. asked anyone i might have leant them too.

i know i didn't give them away or trade them in or anything because i still have a couple of motion plus only titles.

so i've been gradually replacing all of my remotes with motion plus remotes. meh. i know just buying new motion plus addons would have been the cheapest way to go, but i hate spending money to just replace something exactly. i'd rather spend a bit more to get something new and a little better...

and that can't have the motion plus add on lost/stolen/eaten by cats.

Banned
So pissed Rayman was delayed and Pikmin won't show up until Q2. For me, grim launch window is grim. Hopefully TW101 isn't too far away.
Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 gets delayed to Q1 2014 for Australia, EatChildren gets angry.

TW101 gets delayed to Q4 2013 in Australia, EatChildren grows furious.

Bayonetta 2 never gets released in Australia due to Nintendo not considering it a viable market for the title, EatChildren can't import it due to region lock.

EatChildren goes into such a rage that he turns into a Super Saiyan and consumes as all.

Banned
Anybody else thinking a lot of these games getting delayed is due to NSMBU and Nintendland selling like gangbusters and publishers thinking they don't stand a chance against those titles for a console launch at Xmas? I mean, besides ports of old games, the exlusives and new games are getting delayed (Rayman, possibly TW101)?

Or maybe I am cynical and these games aren't ready due to receiving dev kits late?

Either way, I am surprised that third parties want to polish their games since most launch title games are rushed, so when I hear a title like Rayman being delayed it means Ubisoft takes pride in their ip and wants it to be great, or they are scared that Mario will gobble up their sales. Still its nice to see developers delaying their games knowing the Wii U will be fine for Xmas.

Bumhead

Banned
Anybody else thinking a lot of these games getting delayed is due to NSMBU and Nintendland selling like gangbusters and publishers thinking they don't stand a chance against those titles for a console launch at Xmas? I mean, besides ports of old games, the exlusives and new games are getting delayed (Rayman, possibly TW101)?

Or maybe I am cynical and these games aren't ready due to receiving dev kits late?

I strongly suspect Rayman was delayed to give itself a bit of breathing room. I think (and hope) the game would have done well whenever it launched, but.. launching a 2D platformer alongside NSMB.. yeah.

The game has always seemed like one the real stand out front runners in terms of the Wii U launch, and factoring in Ubisofts relationship with Nintendo, I don't think there are issues about the game being "ready". I definitely think it's a strategic decision. Nothing wrong with that either by any means, unless you were dead set on picking up Legends right away I guess.

The_Lump

Banned

Foxconn reaction:

Nintendo:

You know it wasn't 'child labour' right? It was teenagers taking part in an intern programme, as part of their education (in conjunction with their school)

The problem wasnt that they were working, but that a line manager made them work overtime, contrary to foxconns policies on the subject.

Whole think has escalated to Threat Level Midnight because this happened to take place in the factory where the WiiU is being made.

Edit: not to mention that Foxconn has a pretty poor reputation for working conditions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom