• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so true haha!

tumblr_m98vwoujiW1r2x52jo1_500.png

canvee

Hell no, in corporate eyes that would take away from the launch hype, convince people to wait before buying their Wii U. That conference is going to be solely about the Wii U launch. Launch date, price, what's in the box, launch titles. Don't expect anything else.

But the trailerz :(

nikatapi

So it seems that the GPU will probably be around 600GFLOPS, being capable of DX11-like effects?

That sounds really good to me, i mean i still have a 8800gts(320mb) which is around 600GFLOPS and i play most of the games at 1680x1050 at good framerates. Even Crysis plays decently on this. So at 720p i'm sure the developers can get really good looking games out of the system.

I'm still wondering what the Nintendo-like customizations that were rumored are. Just hoping it is not the underclocking :p

Nope. People in this thread are worried about lackluster support from third parties to be exactly like Wii, so this kind of "symbolizes" it. :p

You could replace it with PS4/XBOX 8 and Wii U, and it'd still work. :p

Uhh... Thanks for your valuable input???

(What the fuck?)

JordanN

Banned
I remember talking to a dev who said Wii U could support 896 gflop (maximum).

Of course, this isn't any insider information but a dev just weighing in what he thought was possible. Think of it as when Lherre casually talks about hardware.

As for saying which Wii U gflop is likely, I wouldn't bother. The closest we had was IGN's Wii 2 that said they heard a teraflop. Everywhere else has been pure speculation (i.e, nothing).

Hence why I suggest just leaving Wii U's GPU as "Modern Radeon HD".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

No. None of those games have been 'confirmed' to be running at 1080p. Arguments for 1080p have come from off hand wishy washy statements made by journalists (see: Digital Foundry), speculation, or second hand information from fan sites (see: Mass Effect 3).

The only way 1080p will be confirmed is if it comes straight from the developers mouth, and we have direct feed media to back up statements of games running natively at 1920x1080.

Pc gaming is amazing when it works.

When it works.

Im sure someone will be along any moment now to tell us that their rig works all the time and that anyone with a decent sense of self respect whatsoever will build a rig to that standard even if it means sacrificing all else in life. People like things they built themselves. Alot.

As far as 1080p goes, id rather have 720p with no screen tearing etc. I cant handle that shit. Maybe some people look through it and not really notice but when im watching someone play a game like that its really hard for me to understand how that was ever allowed to be a finished product in the first place. Tearing, for me, is the worst.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im sure someone will be along any moment now to tell us that their rig works all the time and that anyone with a decent sense of self respect whatsoever will build a rig to that standard even if it means sacrificing all else in life. People like things they built themselves. Alot.

And they'd deserve to. The idea that PC gaming is a super difficult niche market of nightmare tweaking died several years ago, and it's laughable that people still bring it up. It's easier to PC game now than it ever has been. All the more reason for people to try it.

And they'd deserve to. The idea that PC gaming is a super difficult niche market of nightmare tweaking died several years ago, and it's laughable that people still bring it up. It's easier to PC game now than it ever has been. All the more reason for people to try it.

Very true. But doesn't that then negate the need to build a 'custom rig'? If it's so easy to get into, you should be able to buy a PC and play. But no - you still have to install drivers, sometimes backdate if new ones don't work for whatever reason, only to find your AMD GPU isn't compatible with certain features etc. I experience these problems from time to time, and it just takes the shine off the whole experience sometimes, even as an avid PC gamer like myself.

I don't know, it's still failed to reach the ease of use and simplicity of console gaming.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I just think PC gaming isn't as perfect as a lot of people make out. The whole 'master race' terms annoy me, and when PC gamers scoff at console games being inferior, I feel they're forgetting the obvious issues involved with PC gaming.

Im fine with PC gamers and PC gaming. But its no utopia as that pic would suggest. I dont see how a pic like that even exists to paint a portrait of the landscape of all those formats because it tells so little of the actual story.

Maybe im missing the point of the pic, and if so then i apologize.

I got a bug up my ass a few years back thinking that Dolphin emulation was the answer to all my lifes problems. Now, yes, Dolphin is an awesome tool and i dont expect it to be flawless i realize the difficulty of getting it to emulate flawlessly. BUT, for me the end user, what good does it do me to believe that the grass is greener when i show up there and Luigis Mansion has the shadow effects missing? Or Wind Wakers crashing all the time and gray screening? What about the heat effects in Dragon Roost? These are small examples and i will be the first to admit that there is way more good than bad in Dolphin. But, for me, as the end user i felt that i ended up just dealing with a new set of disappointments, be they financial, be they whatever. I was still not 100 percent satisfied with the experience. I traded one flaw for another. Its still awesome, still loved seeing those games at that resolution. I just feel that pic, for many reasons beyond dolphins instability, doesnt accurately depict PC gaming for the average end user. This is not in any way an attack on PC gaming. Its more that pic just is weak in my opinion.

Chanser

You should say that to John Davison.

Nibel

You know, when my 17 year old brother told me that my 15 year old cousin was able to put his rig together all by himself and without being super-duper into computers, I realized that times have changed.

PC gaming works better than ever, and it will become even better the next few years. Man, just remembered all those "PC gaming is dead!" articles from years ago, haha

Jacobi

Banned
With steam, it's as easy as with the iOs App Store, really.

beje

Banned
Very true. But doesn't that then negate the need to build a 'custom rig'? If it's so easy to get into, you should be able to buy a PC and play. But no - you still have to install drivers, sometimes backdate if new ones don't work for whatever reason, only to find your AMD GPU isn't compatible with certain features etc. I experience these problems from time to time, and it just takes the shine off the whole experience sometimes, even as an avid PC gamer like myself.

I don't know, it's still failed to reach the ease of use and simplicity of console gaming.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I just think PC gaming isn't as perfect as a lot of people make out. The whole 'master race' terms annoy me, and when PC gamers scoff at console games being inferior, I feel they're forgetting the obvious issues involved with PC gaming.

I haven't had to install drivers (as in, having a headache hunting for them and making them work) since Win7 kicked in, as Windows Update itself automatically takes care of that for the most common hardware and keeps them up to date as soon as you make the first boot. In my current PC that includes video card, sound card, webcam, chipset, wifi card, mobo onboard components... only thing it doesn't automatically install is the Wacom tablet drivers.

For me, a mid-range gaming PC (which destroys IQ-wise the high end consoles) + Nintendo hardware is the best and cheapest combination ever to miss the least stuff. I did it this gen and plan on making it as well for next one.

^as someone from the UK, fucking awesome. Nice callback to Resident Evil too.

Man, just remembered all those "PC gaming is dead!" articles from years ago, haha

They've been quickly replaced by the "dedicated handhelds are dead" articles. Which will, in turn, be replaced by the "smartphone gaming is dead/free to play is dead/social gaming is dead"

I wonder what the supernatural forces are that are present in ZombiU. I recall in the nursery trailer there is an apparition that races past you as you walk in a room and the demo chick said that there are supernatural elements in the game.

D-e-f-

Banned
Here's a question: Do you guys think the Wii U will be capable of media playback off an external HDD or something? Like the PS3/360 are? (not counting pics from the photo channel on wii lol)

Don't expect it. Nintendo isn't doing stuff that. They support Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Video because those are bullet points that are also recognizable to the not-so-tech-savvy crowd. Random avi/mp4 file video playback is mostly interesting to those who like to download stuff or rip their movies and want a media server. Wii U is not that.

I'd love it if it were there but that is one of the areas where "it's Nintendo" is an applicable answer.

EatChildren

PC gaming isn't perfect. I don't think anybody would reasonable argue that. But it is the most user friendly it's ever been.

I got a bug up my ass a few years back thinking that Dolphin emulation was the answer to all my lifes problems. Now, yes, Dolphin is an awesome tool and i dont expect it to be flawless i realize the difficulty of getting it to emulate flawlessly. BUT, for me the end user, what good does it do me to believe that the grass is greener when i show up there and Luigis Mansion has the shadow effects missing? Or Wind Wakers crashing all the time and gray screening? What about the heat effects in Dragon Roost? These are small examples and i will be the first to admit that there is way more good than bad in Dolphin. But, for me, as the end user i felt that i ended up just dealing with a new set of disappointments, be they financial, be they whatever. I was still not 100 percent satisfied with the experience. I traded one flaw for another. Its still awesome, still loved seeing those games at that resolution. I just feel that pic, for many reasons beyond dolphins instability, doesnt accurately depict PC gaming for the average end user. This is not in any way an attack on PC gaming. Its more that pic just is weak in my opinion.

With all due respect, Dolphin is a terrible example of flaws in PC gaming, because it's not
"PC gaming". It's brute force running of abnormal software through 'unofficial' homebrew applications, software that was never built to run on that system in the first place. It's like turning your Wii into a toaster. Someone might find a way to do it, but issues with the end result are hardly the fault of the Wii.

If somebody sold you on Dolphin on PC being a perfect, end-all solution to high resolution Wii/GCN gaming, you were mislead.

D-e-f-

Banned
@BG: Even with today's revelation of 1GB RAM in Wii U, at least game wise, do you still think 2GB is likely?

Hold it now! this is incorrect. That eurogamer article cites 1GB RAM available for games, not 1GB RAM total. This is how the madness starts. You only casually read a sentence, then paraphrase it yourself and you got completely wrong information (that might not even be accurate anymore since it was an anonymous source and we don't know how current their information is).

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/30/nintendo-ds-survival-horror-title-dementium-ii-is-coming-to-pc/

This is interesting Dementium II is being ported to PC, with a trailer in the link

Renegade Kid just came out yesterday saying they are now WiiU developers, maybe this will be on the eShop of WiiU too

I wouldn't read too much into that:

PC version developed by Memetic Games. Published by Digital Tribe Games.
http://www.dementium2.com/

Has there been any word on an Activity Log for Wii U yet? I love that shit on my 3DS, and am hoping it's on the Wii U (and hoping you can share it with friends).

That's not really a feature worth promoting so no, there has be no word on it. The fact that it's on Wii and 3DS should be reason enough to assume that it will be there on the Wii U as well.

My question is, has any Nintendo console (not counting Virtual Boy) actually bombed?

Is GameCube even considered a bomb?

How can the GameCube be considered to have bombed if it made them money from day one?

Portal 2 Special Edition Wii U Confirmed?

Pre-ordered!

(I hear the box is shaped like a Companion Cube)

But I already have two Gamecubes duck taped together at home. I don't want 4. :(

That's why you'll have six!

Jackano

So the baby blue and yellow glowing are legits... We will be used to it quickly I imagine.

I also find out that Ubi Soft made a game called "Zombi" in 1986 on Amstrad CPC (it was one of their very first game actually). I asked on the facebook page if the ZombiU developers aknowledge the link between the two games (same IP?). Could be a fun fact if it is, even more if they didn't find out themselves until now!

Miyamoto comes out and says:
Im sorry but the WiiU is in another castle and... its also being delayed.

Then Sakurai would come out and say, "Please be patient", then delay it in Europe a few months, just 'cos.

That's not really a feature worth promoting so no, there has be no word on it. The fact that it's on Wii and 3DS should be reason enough to assume that it will be there on the Wii U as well.
!

Aw man, I really hope so. I LOVE Activity Log. Like, it's my most accessed game on my 3DS. Just checking how long I've been playing and how many titles I've amassed gameplay on is sweet. The Wii had this in those letters you got every day, but I'm hoping the U will have Activity Log. Nobody spot the icon in a trailer or anything?

XDDX

I also find out that Ubi Soft made a game called "Zombi" in 1986 on Amstrad CPC (it was one of their very first game actually). I asked on the facebook page if the ZombiU developers aknowledge the link between the two games (same IP?). Could be a fun fact if it is, even more if they didn't find out themselves until now!
Before they unveiled ZombiU, they had a message on screen saying (before their E3 presentation) that the first game Ubisoft made was called Zombi. I'm sure they're aware.

PC gaming isn't perfect. I don't think anybody would reasonable argue that. But it is the most user friendly it's ever been.

With all due respect, Dolphin is a terrible example of flaws in PC gaming, because it's not
"PC gaming". It's brute force running of abnormal software through 'unofficial' homebrew applications, software that was never built to run on that system in the first place. It's like turning your Wii into a toaster. Someone might find a way to do it, but issues with the end result are hardly the fault of the Wii.

If somebody sold you on Dolphin on PC being a perfect, end-all solution to high resolution Wii/GCN gaming, you were mislead.

I felt my post stated that i was aware that Dolphin is an imperfect example enough times. I also still, no matter what, even if its running an NES emulator or something, have found myself basically trading one flaw for another. The point is, that PC isnt a utopia in my opinion, but it gets that free pass alot which i feel is inaccurate. Especially in that picture posted. Ill be the first one to encourage people to build a nice PC and go PC/Nintendo only, so its not like im anti-PC at all. I just spent like 11 years playing starcraft and warcraft 3. Im fine with using a PC to game.

Roo

So the baby blue and yellow glowing are legits... We will be used to it quickly I imagine.

I think they said ZombiU is a reboot of the IP

Then they reassure us that the console is not only region-locked, but also that your Wiiware games will surprisingly not move over.

Nah, it'll be fine. Sure they'll charge us 299€ (and $299 in the US), sure it'll be region-locked, but other than the usual bullshit I think it's gonna be okay.

"We'll let the retailers decide the price"

"You mean the greedy ass gaming retailers in Britain who nearly went out of business because they were so obsessed with selling high and buying low?"

"Yeah, those ones!"

Stewox

Banned
You know, when my 17 year old brother told me that my 15 year old cousin was able to put his rig together all by himself and without being super-duper into computers, I realized that times have changed.

PC gaming works better than ever, and it will become even better the next few years. Man, just remembered all those "PC gaming is dead!" articles from years ago, haha

2 of my elementary school friends we're putting hardware together like at 11. They got parents working on some companies that got rid of old computers that could take home.

It wasn't just about putting a PC together, they bought all those PC magazines such as PCGamer and whatever we had in here back then, this isn't here anymore, SWPower is still printing I think, one friend got like 3 PCs at home, custom windows, tweaked BIOS, Overclocked GPU, ... it was way more advanced that I ever though at the time now that I know all these things. Hardware is only one thing, software is another half, and they knew both very well.

I had only nintendo consoles at home until 2004 where I finally got broadband internet (there was an office-grade PC since 1997 but when I played Dune 2000, bomberman and Age Of Empires 2 when I was like 9-10 years old I broke the PC twice so my dad which was a pretty angry behavior back then disallowed me to play games on PC because he obviously had his business papers on the machine and he didn't had an idea about hardware so you know how are they panicked by losing data.

But i still played a heck of a lot PC at friends and school. You know the times when you have all the time, those were whole afternoons, whole summers, Red Alert 2, Anno, Civilization, Settlers, ... those times!

I wasn't a FPS guy at the time, didn't even knew about CS, Quake and Doom until later past 2005 when I got my own PC to check all those games behind me.

School was only on special occasions where they let us in the PC room, it was configured with 14 PCs in LAN, that's like even before I started knowing PCs at friends, there it was, Duke Nukem 3D LAN!, even the teacher played with us sometimes and whined about why we rush to finish the level, he said that we should kill all enemies first.

The PC thing wasn't like an official class, it was like a side-choosable hobby class, but it later became a class

Remember also the funny moment of where they showed us how to use IRC and i remember looking at a white box typing some commands in, very vague memories but I know I was learning very quickly.

I only knew id Software later, but I played Commander Keen and Dangerous Dave in 3rd class without even knowing a thing. Those PCs didn't have any GFX beef inside them ofcourse so there was no big games, except Duke Nukem 3D.

The point with me was that I was getting a bit upset about the fact that 2 of my friends I saw daily had all the knowledge above me and I always didn't had an idea what I was talking about, so it didn't turned me down, it made me more interested in hardware and all about PCs.

It was like an exponential rise, when you know this and that you can quickly advance. I got Age of Empires 2 when i was like 8 ... 2 to 3 years later (there was a big PC pause in middle where i was not allowed) i built custom maps in AOE2 Scenario editor. Man if it wasn't for that editor I may not be who I am, that was the first time I was modding and absolutely felt crazy awesome, I used to build huge maps and I think all of that is lost now, I developed a good care for data quite quickly however, I have saved pretty much every bit on tons of DVDs from every reinstall of windows, other archives, but this was on the office PC and that one got scrapped a loooong time ago.

I build my own PCs today, custom hardware, pretty much there's no one thing I can't do my self pertaining install/setup. Still, the coexistance of nintendo is alive, I've kept that in peaceful relationship by not comparing and keeping these 2 worlds as separate as possible.
I have 2 kinds of mindsets, when I play nintendo, i have a console mindset, when i'm on PC, it's all about PCs, no bridges, no strings.

One of those funny moments was when one of em ran 2 instances of Far Cry and one instance of Doom 3 and there goes ATI Radeon 9700XT in smokes. It was an old card in 2005 anyways he said, he laughed about it.

beje

Banned
"We'll let the retailers decide the price"

"You mean the greedy ass gaming retailers in Britain who nearly went out of business because they were so obsessed with selling high and buying low?"

"Yeah, those ones!"

In the other hand, that will mean a race to the bottom in online preorders, which would be a godsend for those in continental Europe. While the 3DS + a game went for as much as 295€ in retail at launch here in Spain, I got mine + game for 230€ from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom