• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nah, it'll be fine. Sure they'll charge us 299€ (and $299 in the US), sure it'll be region-locked, but other than the usual bullshit I think it's gonna be okay.

"We'll let the retailers decide the price"

"You mean the greedy ass gaming retailers in Britain who nearly went out of business because they were so obsessed with selling high and buying low?"

"Yeah, those ones!"

But you both know that this is exactly what is gonna happen, right? They will not announce a price in Europe. The "retailers set the price" thing is how they do things now in Europe.

I'll slap everyone's virtual face if they are outraged when NoE says "no price, ask retailers!" because we all should know better by now.

D-e-f-

Banned
It'll be a 1:1 conversion of the American price, as usual. Anything else is just charade, people should know that by now.

Yes that, too.

I warned people here before and in the other Nintendo Direct thread that this is how it will go down in Europe but it's better to remind them. I bet there will still be some that act all surprise and get mad again.

NoE says nothing about price, refers to retailers.
€ price will be a 1:1 conversion from the $ amount. $299 will turn into €299 and between 20 and 70 will be subtracted for the £-value.

And the folks down under will get a $AU/NZ899.99 price tag slapped on the box, as usual :p

But you both know that this is exactly what is gonna happen, right? They will not announce a price in Europe. The "retailers set the price" thing is how they do things now in Europe.

I'll slap everyone's virtual face if they are outraged when NoE says "no price, ask retailers!" because we all should know better by now.

It'll be a 1:1 conversion of the American price, as usual. Anything else is just charade, people should know that by now.

Of course it's to be expected. Doesn't mean it's right.

big_erk

I felt my post stated that i was aware that Dolphin is an imperfect example enough times. I also still, no matter what, even if its running an NES emulator or something, have found myself basically trading one flaw for another. The point is, that PC isnt a utopia in my opinion, but it gets that free pass alot which i feel is inaccurate. Especially in that picture posted. Ill be the first one to encourage people to build a nice PC and go PC/Nintendo only, so its not like im anti-PC at all. I just spent like 11 years playing starcraft and warcraft 3. Im fine with using a PC to game.

This idea that you have to build in order to have a nice gaming rig is ludicrous. Yes, I do build my own rigs, but that is my choice. You can just as easily purchase any number of gaming ready desktops and notebooks that come ready to play right out of the box.

Why? Because we are outraged that Nintendo would rather have retailers fuck us over than to deal with the european courts again for price fixing?
NOEs policies have been shady for years now and the 3DS price left to retailers bullshit was just a cheap ass way of getting around EU regulations.

Same as with the 3DS XL Power Cable. EU regulations state that new electronic devices HAVE to be sold with a USB charging cable instead of a power adaptor to save on copper wiring and e-garbage. What does Nintendo do? Sell the XL without a cable to save themselves some money. NOE is a despiccable business and I expect the absolute worst from them for the WiiU European launch.

Nugg

Aren't US prices without VAT while euro prices include VAT? I always figured that was what explained the 1:1 conversion.

For instance in France, a 299€ price tag means 250€ before tax, and 19.6% VAT. That's about 310 USD. Still not exactly right, but it's pretty close.

The_Lump

Banned
650x.jpg

650x.jpg

650x.jpg

650x.jpg

650x.jpg

650x.jpg

650x.jpg

~ http://www.nintendolife.com

Oh god. Even a company manufacturing peripherals is referring to the Gamepad as Wii U. *facepalm*

"Charge your WiiU" ......cringe.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
But doesn't Nintendo like fast RAM though?

And I thought you were one of the main supporters of 2 GIGs of RAM, with 512 dedicated to the OS and multi-tasking? (Or was that Ideaman?)

So are we still talking about a 4850 or 4870?

For all this memory story, you have to read:

1- The first info given by lherre in the first WUST when he said, i think, the amount of ram for dev kit

2 - The hints i scattered throughout WUST 2 about this amount, but a huge part of it dedicated to "OS" (man i've written like 50 messages on that, even with math equations lol)

3 - Further info by other posters including bg who talked to people (one is me but i never claimed in public the expected final amount because it's unsure as explained 10 times for several reasons).

4 - Leaked spec by vgleaks (basically a confirmation of what lherre told us for the dev kit memory)

5 - Other relevant articles on that

All in all i think it's safer to wait patiently for the system release :)

Hold it now! this is incorrect. That eurogamer article cites 1GB RAM available for games, not 1GB RAM total. This is how the madness starts. You only casually read a sentence, then paraphrase it yourself and you got completely wrong information (that might not even be accurate anymore since it was an anonymous source and we don't know how current their information is).

This is why i intervened yesterday. It was nothing new at all, until i saw some people think the TOTAL memory of the system will be 1GB, which i don't know how it could be true (except if the retail unit got 1) a weird total quantity like 1,1GB, 1GB for games, 0,1GB for OS, or 2) they found a way to reduce nearly to 0GB the memory imprint of all the non-gaming stuff while playing), so a little summary/new statement of what we know can't hurt :)

D-e-f-

Banned
Why? Because we are outraged that Nintendo would rather have retailers fuck us over than to deal with the european courts again for price fixing?
NOEs policies have been shady for years now and the 3DS price left to retailers bullshit was just a cheap ass way of getting around EU regulations.

No because everyone should already know it's gonna happen and they're still gonna act surprised. I'm not defending their way of doing things, I'm warning people not to be naive by expecting NoE to announce a price at some event/ND.

No because everyone should already know it's gonna happen and they're still gonna act surprised. I'm not defending their way of doing things, I'm warning people not to be naive by expecting NoE to announce a price at some event/ND.

But since then we've had our major gaming retailer (GAME) nearly go out of business, who weren't able to stock major 3DS titles when they came out. Also, GAME did a terrible, terrible job at marketing the 3DS when it first came out. I mean, you think they'd learn that it's not the best way to do things this time.

The_Lump

Banned
And they'd deserve to. The idea that PC gaming is a super difficult niche market of nightmare tweaking died several years ago, and it's laughable that people still bring it up. It's easier to PC game now than it ever has been. All the more reason for people to try it.

Not to mention the fun to be had choosing your hardware and the satisfaction of starting your rig up for the first time :D "Its aliiiive!"

It's like Lego for Men.

So we should basically just bend over and wait for NOE to show up without vaseline again?
I for one find the outrage even if not surprising to be fully warranted. NOE has pulled so much shit over the past 2 years that they deserve all the shit they're getting in return.

Not to mention the fun to be had choosing your hardware and the satisfaction of starting your rig up for the first time :D "Its aliiiive!"

It's like Lego for Men.

This feeling truly is magnificent. After buying all those different parts, planning on an architecture, selecting the case etc... when you can test the final configuration for the first time... it' s magical. A homemade hardware launch.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

It's like Lego for Men.

Back in the days, after setting up your rig, you had a second journey akin to Ulysses attempting to return to Ithaca, called: installing the OS through DOS, 34343 floppy disks, handling tons of compatibility/drivers problems, etc.

Thing is, it was fun :D

The_Lump

Banned
Back in the days, after setting up your rig, you had a second journey akin to Ulysses attempting to return to Ithaca, called: installing the OS through DOS, 34343 floppy disks, handling tons of compatibility/drivers problems, etc.

Thing is, it was fun :D

Lol. Yep I have to admit, its when things did go wrong that it was sometimes the most fun. Like a mini-detective game where you're trying to figure out why Windows hates your newly built computer.

Much rarer nowadays, everything is so simple it's unreal.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
We need the insight of some dev around here.

What is the imprint in the ram memory of all the non-gaming stuff on the Xbox360, while you play ? With the live (and all that is derived of, notifications, voice chat, etc.), the dashboard available in 1 second, etc ?

Or even more relevant, for 3DS, considering it has a suspended mode and other services we'll see on Wii U ?

Concretely, i want to know if Nintendo could manage to reduce the RAM space all the non-gaming functions take while playing a game, acknowledging that it will have to run at the same time miiverse, nintendo network, voice chat, in some occasions the camera, a suspended mode, etc.

The funny thing, and the thing that will show in 10 years when we are looking back at the Wii, is that there WAS support - just not multiplatform support.

Mad World, Deadly Creatures, Zack and Wiki, RE4 Wii Edition, Boom Blox, Little Kings Story, Fluidity, Monster Hunter Tri, Lost Winds, Bit Trip, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Red Steel 2, Dead Space Extraction, Rage of the Gladiator, A Boy and his Blob, Trauma Team and Trauma Centre, Klonoa, De Blob, House of the Dead Overkill, Crystal Chronciles My Life As King, Toki Tori, Rune Factory, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Goldeneye and NBA Jam.

All third party exclusives, timed or permanent, with exclusive features and control. All range from good to awesome. What we didn't get were all the exclusive multiplatform heavy-hitters, like Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Mass Effect, etc.

It won't bother me if we don't get them, I'll own all of Durango, Orbis and a gaming PC. I'd think most people will have at least one of those three on top of the Wii U.

You're right and when people look back at the Wii they will start to look at it like the GameCube when it was "in the wild" they hated it, but down the road the people who don't like or didn't like the system will look back on it with "fond" memories of playing it with friends.

You're right and when people look back at the Wii they will start to look at it like the GameCube when it was "in the wild" they hated it, but down the road the people who don't like or didn't like the system will look back on it with "fond" memories of playing it with friends.

I already look back on my Wii like that now... well, look AT it, seeing as I constantly enjoy Smash Bros. still. Yes, Brawl. Yes, I like Brawl. Oh well.

D-e-f-

Banned
But since then we've had our major gaming retailer (GAME) nearly go out of business, who weren't able to stock major 3DS titles when they came out. Also, GAME did a terrible, terrible job at marketing the 3DS when it first came out. I mean, you think they'd learn that it's not the best way to do things this time.

But how does that directly relate to the hardware price thing? Retailers make almost zero profit on hardware anyway.

So we should basically just bend over and wait for NOE to show up without vaseline again?
I for one find the outrage even if not surprising to be fully warranted. NOE has pulled so much shit over the past 2 years that they deserve all the shit they're getting in return.

?! So is so totally not at all what I'm saying.

But how does that directly relate to the hardware price thing? Retailers make almost zero profit on hardware anyway.

Nintendo should be less afraid of retailers in general. There's also the whole "3DS DD downloads must be the max RRP so we don't offend retailers". You don't need them.

Jacobi

Banned
If we know the $ price we know the € price imho

IMO the gamecube had better software support. More interesting third-party-games (capcom exclusives) and also ports like the TimeSplitter series. And most people already look back on their Wii because it's a great dust-collector.

Stulaw

In the EU, Nintendo has a high court order ao they're not able to set an RRP on their consoles due to apparent price fixing, so retailers set what ever price they like, setting the 3DS at an initial price of £229.99 might have made them a huge profit for all we know.

Number45

In the EU, Nintendo has a high court order ao they're not able to set an RRP on their consoles due to apparent price fixing, so retailers set what ever price they like, setting the 3DS at an initial price of £229.99 might have made them a huge profit for all we know.
Really? They're not even allowed to recommend a retail price?

D-e-f-

Banned
If we know the $ price we know the € price imho

Yea, we covered that on the last page, I think.

IMO the gamecube had better software support. More interesting third-party-games (capcom exclusives) and also ports like the TimeSplitter series. And most people already look back on their Wii because it's a great dust-collector.

The difference there is that with the Cube, it was all very same-y content wise compared to what was on the other platforms.

Wii's library in comparison to PC/PS3/360 is a totally different world filled with colorful, abstract, quirky games and silly experiments when the HD systems went all out on serious, artsy, "realistic" and heavily narrative driven character-action stuff.

Those "Wii = dust collector" people are probably more drawn to the latter category which is why they might not think of the Wii as fondly (right now). The gap was also between the types of content, not just the quality of the graphics this time around.

Really? They're not even allowed to recommend a retail price?

They might be able to set a minimum price, but with the greed of our retailers, that likely won't be a problem lol. And yeah, I saw the 3DS at £250 in some places. Even with VAT, they would definitely be making a juicy profit off of that.

And most people already look back on their Wii because it's a great dust-collector.

You original genius you.

Sadist

Of course they won't delay it. Jeez.

My initial gut feeling (and new rumours point to it) said it would release December 7th in Europe.

Jacobi

Banned
The difference there is that with the Cube, it was all very same-y content wise compared to what was on the other platforms.

Wii's library in comparison to PC/PS3/360 is a totally different world filled with colorful, abstract, quirky games and silly experiments when the HD systems went all out on serious, artsy, "realistic" and heavily narrative driven character-action stuff.

Those "Wii = dust collector" people are probably more drawn to the latter category which is why they might not think of the Wii as fondly (right now). The gap was also between the types of content, not just the quality of the graphics this time around.
360 and PS3 had their own experimental titles like Catherine, El Shaddai, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain and of course all the downloadable titles like Braid, Journey, Fat Princess, Limbo, Flower... So it's definitely not as black and white as you make it to be.
I love innovative games but there just aren't that many that justify a buy for me on the Wii.

They are allowed to set their price, but aren't willing to and circumvent the court order by having retailers set the price. (And thus avoid charges of price fixing)

I thought we all liked NoE these days.

I always thought of it more of a cease fire. And I don't really like the troop movements near the border lately.

Fun fact: here in Sweden on the better placeholder prices is over 500 euro. Placeholder sure, sure.

I want a Wii U but if the price difference between countries and territories is too large, I am out.

Unless there's some other legal spat Nintendo is involved in, that's nonsense. Nintendo and some of its distributors were fined for stopping retailers from selling stock sourced from other parts of the EU, instead of the much more expensive local stuff. That was back in the 90s, the judgement was handed down in 2002, and Nintendo have been appealing it ever since.

This new 2011 policy of not letting the RRP be known to the public is something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom