• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

That's not enough to get a company to change its mind, but at some point it's time to stop playing nice. Nintendo apparently did this with Bionic Commando, if you remember that misguided attempt at a reboot. The story goes that Nintendo refused to allow Capcom to put out Bionic Commando on the virtual console because the new game and Rearmed where not coming out on Nintendo systems. Similarly, if the new MGS isn't on Wii U, then why should Nintendo money and time promoting Snake in Super Smash Bros?

Yeah I remember the Bionic Commando situation.

I feel like having a character in Smash Bros should be considered a huge honor since not just any third party character can be in the game.

Kojima is constantly shafting Nintendo fans over and over on new games, and giving us only scraps (enhanced ports like Twin Snakes or MGS3D). It is embarrassing.

Yeah I remember the Bionic Commando situation.

I feel like having a character in Smash Bros should be considered a huge honor since not just any third party character can be in the game.

Kojima is constantly shafting Nintendo fans over and over on new games, and giving us only scraps (enhanced ports like Twin Snakes or MGS3D). It is embarrassing.

I would not lump Twin Snakes with MGS3D. Twin Snakes, even if you did not personally care for it, was clearly given time and attention. Conversely, MGS3D went from this amazing remake-thing at E3 2010 to this port-thing that was kind of just shit out.

Pineconn

"
Crappy port
MGS 3D didn't sell very well, so Nintendo fans must not want MGS games."

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So In theory, could this RAM split allow for two games to be running at the same time?
Unlikely. But it would allow the OS to buffer quite a few things.

antonz

So In theory, could this RAM split allow for two games to be running at the same time?

Not likely. Nintendo if they have reserved 1GB for the OS Features at the moment is being typical Nintendo. They pulled it with the 3DS locking an entire core from use because it was reserved for the OS. Now the core is used by games and OS.

Its inevitable that the reserved ram will be opened up to some degree for future use unless Nintendo goes batshit insane and really finds a way to eat up that much ram in background stuff

To be fair, the PS3 XMB while in a game is garbage. It's extremely slow and so constrained by memory that it apparently won't even allow cross-game voice chat. 360 dash I haven't used in years but I think it's fair to say that the in-game dashboard is far from fully-featured, seeing as most actions will inevitably end the game you are currently playing.

If the Wii-U doesn't have these limitations, i'd consider that a huge step forward. A fast and fully featured console OS available no matter what you are doing without having to quit out of the game? That would be great.

No, the only one options that end the game are the system configurations (video, sound, etc). Everything else doesn't affect the game.

Oddduck

I'm going to make a wild prediction that most of the Miiverse OS applications is using the same 1GB that the games/apps use.

You would only need 1GB for games/apps and 1GB for OS.. if.. you were doing games and os stuff at the same time. Because you have to split ram between the two.

If you look at the video chat stuff. Doesn't that work only when you aren't in the middle of a game? Would you need 2GB to pull that off?

But I do think bgassassin is most likely correct.

Hoodbury

I think the 1 gig OS confirms my speculation that Mii-verse is actually one giant Mii paintball game. Those Mii-s aren't huddling around the game icon they are playing, those are bunkers to hide in.

I'm telling you, Mii-verse is a game in itself.

As for your second point, Konami won't even put Lords of Shadow 2 on the Wii U even though the game linking LoS1 and 2 is on Nintendo's handheld. That along with MGS3D just scream of being thrown a bone. At some point, Nintendo needs to roll in with a bag of money if it wants serious support, even if it's a situation where it shouldn't have to.

I'm not sure why they won't just outsource LoS2. They should just give it to someone like Bluepoint Games as they've shown that they can do really good jobs with ports. That's obviously not going to happen with Ground Zeroes due to how much pull Kojima has within the company, but it seems like they could easily outsource LoS2.

Oddduck

I think the 1 gig OS confirms my speculation that Mii-verse is actually one giant Mii paintball game. Those Mii-s aren't huddling around the game icon they are playing, those are bunkers to hide in.

I'm telling you, Mii-verse is a game in itself.

Miiverse is one of the things I'm most excited about with Wii U.

The_Lump

Banned
Hey... Is it just me or is it a Wii console in that charging station on the left?

650x.jpg

Please don't tell me they think the Wii U is a gamepad accessory for the Wii?!

It is a Wii u, but they refer to "charging your Wii u" with a pad shown in a dock in another picture. smh

nordique

I'm going to make a wild prediction that most of the Miiverse OS applications is using the same 1GB that the games/apps use.

You would only need 1GB for games/apps and 1GB for OS.. if.. you were doing games and os stuff at the same time. Because you have to split ram between the two.

If you look at the video chat stuff. Doesn't that work only when you aren't in the middle of a game? Would you need 2GB to pull that off?

But I do think bgassassin is most likely correct.

It can't be from the same pool, and IM in the past stated as much

Plus bg is probably right haha

If you could play a game on-pad while watching Netflix on the TV, that would use some RAM. I, personally, would like to think that will be a feature (uPad-TV multitask)... It's too obvious.

People going on about RAM in the other consoles, like the XB8. realistically, what the fuck do you think they are going to do with 6GB RAM for a game? What? .. .. What?

I don't know if 1GB for games is enough, or even if an extra .5-1GB or maybe even 2GB dedicated will benefit the future of the U greatly.

I think people get obsessed with numbers and all the regular trolls saying 1Gig dedicated is game over, can they actually explain to me why 1GB isn't enough, and why more means great things (without looking at Wikipedia first and formulating an insipid response.)

Oddduck

If you could play a game on-pad while watching Netflix on the TV, that would use some RAM. I, personally, would like to think that will be a feature (uPad-TV multitask)... It's too obvious.

People going on about RAM in the other consoles, like the XB8. realistically, what the fuck do you think they are going to do with 6GB RAM for a game? What? .. .. What?

I don't know if 1GB for games is enough, or even if an extra .5-1GB or maybe even 2GB dedicated will benefit the future of the U greatly.

I think people get obsessed with numbers and all the regular trolls saying 1Gig dedicated is game over, can they actually explain to me why 1GB isn't enough, and why more means great things (without looking at Wikipedia first and formulating an insipid response.)

I don't think ram will be more than 4GB for any next gen console. Regardless of how much memory/ram the next Kinect needs.

4GB would be 8 times what we have now with Xbox 360.

Hoodbury

Perhaps this is really dumb, but isn't it almost harder to have 1.5 gigs of RAM than it would be to have 2 gigs? Or is it different from how computers work? What I'm getting at is that to have 1.5 gigs wouldn't you need 2 sticks? A 1 gig and a .5 gig stick? Instead of just having 1 2 gig stick?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Honestly, this goes back to when Ideaman first popped up in WUST2 and said the amount of memory reserved for the OS & "apps" was unusually large and if or how Nintendo could free up some of that memory for games, once the OS/apps were finished and optimized to use as little as possible memory. That was back in 1985 if i remember correctly.

Yep, nothing new (and it's weird to see some info known since February or even earlier, presented as new, we've known the RAM quantity for games since months now, i guess the thread is going in circles), and you asked me some questions to precise a bit the info i could give.

However it was relevant in a V4 dev kit context, a few months ago.

Now, the 1GB for games is still relevant, but for the OS, etc, i'm still unsure, i've heard conflicting info (and this is in part why i always used words such as "at least" instead of a definite quantity).

As much as I like the sound of multitasking with the GamePad and streaming other players' gameplay to watch, I'm a little disappointed in the minimum amount reserved for games.

Also, I thought six or eight gigabytes of RAM was expected from the next Xbox. Was there recent information that dispels this rumor?

Hoodbury

Yep, and you asked me some questions to precise a bit the info i could give.

How much do you know about these crazy NDA's? Are they still in effect? If so do you know when they expire?

I thought I remember someone from the previous Wii-U thread saying some of them expired but that doesn't necessarily mean the devs are going to say anything.

So what do you know about the NDA's?

RedSwirl

M2x9a.jpg

ozfunghi

Perhaps this is really dumb, but isn't it almost harder to have 1.5 gigs of RAM than it would be to have 2 gigs? Or is it different from how computers work? What I'm getting at is that to have 1.5 gigs wouldn't you need 2 sticks? A 1 gig and a .5 gig stick? Instead of just having 1 2 gig stick?

So at what store do you buy your console RAM sticks?

Edit: consoles don't have RAM "sticks".

The_Lump

Banned

Agreed on all points.

For a dedicated games machine, 1 - 1.5GB /should/ be more than enough for some time to come. The problem arises when developers have tonnes of RAM in other consoles. They'll likely take the easy route & not optimise its usage as much (think Rockstar and how PC GTA IV ate RAM for breakfast, even when it was looking the same as console versions using 1/3 the RAM). Once the extra power is available, my only worry is how bothered devs/publishers will be in making their games work on Wii u ('downporting') Not whether it's possible.

The_Lump

Banned
Why buy ram when you can just download it?

Would be funny if Reggie came on stage in September and said "Psyche! all our games will be processed on the Cloud, and will be made using exactly 1% more power than whatever 720/PS4 use. Peace, bitches"

goldenpp72

Would be funny if Reggie came on stage in September and said "Psyche! all our games will be processed on the Cloud, and will be made using exactly 1% more power than whatever 720/PS4 use. Peace, bitches"

Yeah it would be funny if Nintendo proved to go from the most inept network system provider by far to accomplishing a near impossible task for a cost that wouldn't destroy them.

It would be funny if a billion dollars landed on my lap too.

Earendil

Yeah it would be funny if Nintendo proved to go from the most inept network system provider by far to accomplishing a near impossible task for a cost that wouldn't destroy them.

It would be even funnier if a billion dollars also landed on my lap.

Roo

what the...
igInv6LJtSKGa.gif

that's a lot of money...

Tehalemi

Totally forgot to post this last week when checked out what was new at my local Gamestop. Didn't have to look far. :p

Pretty much slap dab in front of the door as soon as you come in. I know other pics have been posted, but man if I didn't feel goosebumps seeing it face to face in my own neighborhood.

Almost like it's a small monolith that echoed off to me in an old wise man's voice, "don't forget about the 13th you little shit!!!"

The way I see it, one of the following will be right and the other will be wrong.

Either:

Wii U will have 2GB of total memory.

Or:

Nintendo was able to reduce the non-gaming functions.

When looking at the dev kit and the specific mentioning of how much would be dedicated toward games, I'm seriously leaning toward the former. Like I mentioned here devs were essentially working with a 2GB dev kit. And an amount that large blocked off obviously can't be ignored. And while I clearly had my doubts about the OS remaining large, recent info causes me to cast those doubts away.

Aren't the current rumors stating that the next Xbox might actually have 6GB of RAM, but devote 2GB of that to the OS?

8GB. And from there a rumor came up saying 3GB would be for the OS.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Totally forgot to post this last week when checked out what was new at my local Gamestop. Didn't have to look far. :p

w3XkN.jpg

Pretty much slap dab in front of the door as soon as you come in. I know other pics have been posted, but man if I didn't feel goosebumps seeing it face to face in my own neighborhood.

Almost like it's a small monolith that echoed off to me in an old wise man's voice, "don't forget about the 13th you little shit!!!"

Man, those Saturn Gamestop aren't clean, look at all the rubbish and trash on the floor ?_?

Tehalemi

Man, those Saturn Gamestop aren't clean, look at all the rubbish and trash on the floor ?_?

Actually I was told that was because one of the employee's there peaked in one of the boxes and thus proceeded to explode...so you're pretty much looking at his or her flaky remains right now...

Wii U = Ark of the Covenant CONFREAKINFIRMED!!!

man they should really put a warning sign in front of that thing. u_u"

Edit: A moment of silence for our fallen GS comrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom