• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

canvee

start with vague details and then get increasingly more specific based on cash milestones :D

What about a kickstarter! I heard that they're quite popular these days. We'll raise at least $1 million so that lherre can retire from the games industry and pay for the inevitable lawsuits he will face from Epic and Nintendo :D

good idea !!!

So i guess the "news" is rather positive for us "Ninthings" as people like to diss erm call us.

Yet somewhat on that list makes you think.

The following is pure speculation, so no need to flame my sweet behind

Two possibilities IMO:

Wii U got the gimpled "mobile version" of UE4 only (together with iOS/android) wich would make you wonder about Nintendos buissness model??

OR

Current gen consoles and Wii U listed as supported and that makes you wonder about next gen buisness model.

I am leaning twoards the latter since "Wii U getting gimped UE4" was already a topic ages ago...

Oddduck

Wii U is powered by steak confirmed!

It has a steak inside, food for the Pikmin.

That's not what Jack Tretton says!

http://www.destructoid.com/jack-tre...-does-not-appreciate-cheese-fries-35617.phtml
"I think the PS3 is the Surf 'n Turf. You want the lobster and steak and you're going to give yourself the treat of getting the best thing on the menu. The PS2 is your favorite burger restaurant -- you go there for comfort food and it's just always good and is a good value."

"[As for the other two consoles], one [Wii] is a lollipop, and I'm too old for lollipops. The other one [Xbox 360] I get sick from once in a while because the cook isn't always reliable."

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh so it was always like that? I was kinda hoping I just had a bad connection or a crappy week when I tried it and online was a total mess. Did they improve it with LBP2? Do you know?
They fixed it. I remember playing LBP1 with a friend online, worked just fine. Same with LBP2, played pretty much through the whole game online and it worked fine. Maybe the problem appeared randomly in both games, but it was not constant at least.

lherre

Accurate
What about a kickstarter! I heard that they're quite popular these days. We'll raise at least $1 million so that lherre can retire from the games industry and pay for the inevitable lawsuits he will face from Epic and Nintendo :D

mmmmm ....

the ps3 is like you going to an olive garden and the chefs aspire to make food you would see in a four star restaurant.

actually that's not right. the ps3 is like you going to an olive garden and the chefs aspire to make a movie for some fucking reason.

The PS3 is more like living next to a windtunnel.

The_Lump

Banned
the ps3 is like you going to an olive garden and the chefs aspire to make food you would see in a four star restaurant.

actually that's not right. the ps3 is like you going to an olive garden and the chefs aspire to make a movie for some fucking reason.

Rofl.

One of my wet dreams about wii U would be a game with that kind of atmosphere, gameplay and artstyle, with the addition of a interesting (for me ;p ) multiplayer mode that allow the gamepad player to be the master of this RPG world.
I've wrote an article about possible interesting gamepad integration, but on an italian site and I don't know if I can post it or if someone can actually read it in my own language :D

Yes, there is definitely potential for the Gamepad user to become God in a game someone else is playing on the TV. Would be all kinds of cool. Post it :)

Azure J

Ether, Goddamn.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes, there is definitely potential for the Gamepad user to become God in a game someone else is playing on the TV. Would be all kinds of cool. Post it :)

Well, this is part1 of an article I wrote BEFORE e3 for one of the site I work with, about possible interesting integrations of the gamepad in different gameplay genres. In the second page there is the Demons soul inspired part. It is in Italian, but maybe the images could help :p

http://www.wiitalia.it/2012/05/30/wii-u-immaginazione-al-potere-parte-1/

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
"Pay no attention to the Wii U controller we unveiled over a year before its launch."
Precisely, and they learnt their lesson hard, with Smartglass parisiting their value prop. Thus Iwata requesting analysts to understand their new approach in June.

sajj316

Give me Galaxy 1 and 2 in HD along with Sunshine and Mario 64 HD remix and "you had me at hello".

Wind Waker HD would also get a few e-gasms on this thread ..

The amount of quality content in the archives is just amazing!!!

AOC83

Banned
Give me Galaxy 1 and 2 in HD along with Sunshine and Mario 64 HD remix and "you had me at hello".

Yep, i hope Nintendo brings some Highlights as HD Collection, there´s plenty of awesome stuff, especially from the Cube days.

Tehalemi

Yep. I mean hell Metroid Prime is almost 10 years old, and look at it! :O

I was just saying before Nintendo could almost do a 3d mario all stars.

Anth0ny

Exactly, and they learnt their lesson hard, with Smartglass parisiting their value prop. Thus Iwata requesting analysts to understand their new approach in June.

This doesn't make sense to me. Mario will always be ripped off. Zelda and Metroid will always be ripped off. Hell, we even have Smash Bros being ripped off. It is inevitable. Is it really worth it to withhold major titles from the public when they could be used to stir up excitement for your new console?

Yep, i hope Nintendo brings some Highlights as HD Collection, there´s plenty of awesome stuff, especially from the Cube days.

You'd think Nintendo would be able to patch up its dry spells with their incredible back library of games.

You'd think that.

*glares at 3DS Virtual Console*

D-e-f-

Banned
Nintendo need to bring back Spice Orange for the console. Now that its so hot

Orange in general is a pretty cool color for a system. The orange 3DS they showed off at the debut E3 is still highly anticipated by yours truly.

Imagine the possibilities. You're playing any given game with the pro controller or your main GamePad and your friend comes over with his GP and just presses the Fuck You Button™ and messes up your game-world on his screen :D

wsippel

Banned
Yes. Routines written in assembly language would have to be rewritten by the devs. But hopefully, the compiler would do a good job of converting C or C++ code, which is the majority, into highly optimised code.
There's only so much a compiler can do. We're talking about a few percent here, and even that only applies to high level code. Also, while MULTI does produce fast binaries, it tends to favor size and stability/ security over speed. In the end, it all comes down to the developers, and they have years of experience with PS3 and 360, but only a few months on Wii U.

In fact, we had similar issues last gen: Code written for Xbox often performed worse when ported to Xbox360 even though Xenon is a lot faster then some old Celeron. There've also been issues when Intel switched from insanely high clocked Pentium4 chips to much lower clocked Core CPUs - some code simply performed much better on P4 even though we all know Core is far superior overall. And those were both x86 chips, just like Wii U and Xbox360 both use PPCs, so that doesn't necessarily tell us much, either.

NickMitch

Regarding all this UE4 debacle of the spicings.

The general industry, not just electronics but all industries, are moving towards effiency in one way or the other. That does not mean that more powerful stuff is under development. But all industries are regulated under laws and such.

This will seems really far fetched and beyond....

The biggets tech revolution has been in low power consumption products that can give the necessary content that the consumer demands. This could lead to a conclusion that the next generation is more about efficency and cross platform, than raw horse power.
The challenge lies in being able to deliver an enriched experience with a DIMINISHED amount of energy and effort.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This doesn't make sense to me. Mario will always be ripped off. Zelda and Metroid will always be ripped off. Hell, we even have Smash Bros being ripped off. It is inevitable. Is it really worth it to withhold major titles from the public when they could be used to stir up excitement for your new console?
My understanding is that he didn't want to show gameplay mechanics. Sure he could have shown logos, but that is not the time, as he wants people to talk about 3rd party titles. Because Nintendo needs them.

Excitement will rise the minute they decide to showcase their next 3D Mario, Zelda, etc. It's all about sequencing announcements at the right pace, and in the right order.

I'm not saying Nintendo's communication is exemplary, far from it in terms of execution (you saw my E3 rant and how I would have presented their conference, using Steve Jobs tricks), but at least I can get behind their logic.

I was staunchly in the "I'll wait a year or two" camp, but after the 3DS XL exceeded my expectations I put my Vita up for sale on Amazon and got 260 for it today along with my 32 gig card. Wife is allowing me to put it towards a Wii U. Hopefully the price difference won't be too painful.

Animal Crossing + MiiVerse

We still love you, BGBW

And great tease by lherre, although he could learn a thing or two from the king of teases :lol

NOOOOOOoooooOOOOOoo!
one is enough!
LLShC.gif

Does anyone think that on September 13th we are going to have footage of Retro's game, or some 2013 games? I hope so.

I would lose it if the new Metal Gear shows up on WiiU. Is it even possible?

Animal Crossing + MiiVerse

They can keep their fruit trading simulator. I want Minecraft Wii U.

Does anyone think that on September 13th we are going to have footage of Retro's game, or some 2013 games? I hope so.

I don't think they'll show much of anything new. I think they're simply going to show what they've shown, and announce a day and a price. I wish someone worth a damn in the press would ask them why they don't sell their product through Amazon US anymore. It would be so much easier and painless to buy from them.

Drago

My only expectations for the Sept. 13 conference are prices, release dates, and at least one new game.

Hopefully my expectations are met :p

ohlawd

I'm still banking heavily on a $299.99 pricetag.

If not, it befalls upon me to pleasure every single one of you that insisted it wasn't going to be $299.99.

RedSwirl

I think it might actually be possible that if UE4 ends up on the Wii U in some form, that it won't even be Epic that does the first successful attempt at porting it. Sort of like how UE3 games didn't run at 60fps on console until Netherrealm worked some kind of black magic on it for Mortal Kombat.

I don't think they'll show much of anything new. I think they're simply going to show what they've shown, and announce a day and a price. I wish someone worth a damn in the press would ask them why they don't sell their product through Amazon US anymore. It would be so much easier and painless to buy from them.

That's too bad. I would like to know what's coming down the line... I'm not very interested in the games that have been shown so far (except ACIII).
Are people going to have to depend on Wii games to get them through?

If they showed some stuff coming in the spring that might get me to jump in at launch.

Who knows, maybe I'll buy a launch unit and a copy of Xenoblade and Last Story and have a ball.

D-e-f-

Banned

1) no ... don't do that to yourself. do not, I repeat, do not expect any megatons like this. they're gonna talk about launch any show some new "worst kept secrets" 3rd party games but do not expect another major game from them to be shown this year. it'd be nice if they do of course but I can see that happening at the February Nintendo Direct more than right now.

2) of course it's "possible" but it's unlikely given Kojima's past comments. it's till on the table though, along with all the other platforms since it'S only been announced for PS3/360 but emphasis was put on how easily scalable the engine is for next gen platforms.

but generally, do not get your hopes up for crazy stuff like that!

Donnie

There's only so much a compiler can do. We're talking about a few percent here, and even that only applies to high level code. Also, while MULTI does produce fast binaries, it tends to favor size and stability/ security over speed. In the end, it all comes down to the developers, and they have years of experience with PS3 and 360, but only a few months on Wii U.

In fact, we had similar issues last gen: Code written for Xbox often performed worse when ported to Xbox360 even though Xenon is a lot faster then some old Celeron. There've also been issues when Intel switched from insanely high clocked Pentium4 chips to much lower clocked Core CPUs - some code simply performed much better on P4 even though we all know Core is far superior overall. And those were both x86 chips, just like Wii U and Xbox360 both use PPCs, so that doesn't necessarily tell us much, either.

As a specific example I remember reading an entry on Virtualdub blog a few years ago (used to like my video editing :)) about an attempt to speed up his program on Atom based netbooks. Basically he managed to modify some of the code paths to get a 40-50%(?) speed increase on Atom machines. But he then found that the code now ran 50% slower on Core 2 Duo processors. Meaning the program now ran at similar speeds (still a bit faster on Core 2 Duo but not by much) on both CPU's despite the fact that the Core 2 Duo is in a totally different league to the Atom. He came to the conclusion that to fix this he'd need to write a unique code path just for Atom, because he couldn't get a single path to be just as fast for both.

Just an example of how going out of your way to optimise for one CPU can kill performance on another, something no compiler can fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom