• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkeane

Will the Wii U support downloading a game off the disc? Scribblenauts looks great but it's the type of game I'd play in short bursts so having it on my system would be ideal.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Will the Wii U support downloading a game off the disc? Scribblenauts looks great but it's the type of game I'd play in short bursts so having it on my system would be ideal.

Probably not, but maybe I'll be allowed to purchase it as a DD title.

The_Lump

Banned
But he's saying that OOE doesn't have a performance hit if you're running code intended for sequential execution. And I'm inclined to agree. Pretty much all modern PC CPUs switched over to OOE without any drama whatsoever, even when running intensive programs designed years ago. It's not a change in architecture as much as it is undisputed improvement in every way over in-order execution.

But that's irrelevant really. You're saying that having OOE on the CPU will mean "lazy ports won't look any better", which isn't true, as how good games look is pretty much entirely down to the GPU.

Hmm, been following these threads from the start and I'm sure it has been mentioned a few times by much more intelligent folk than myself that if ports aren't optimised to take advantage of OoOE, then they'll not see any advantage from it. Maybe I'm mistaken or that's since been debunked while I wasn't looking :p And perhaps I should have said "perform better" instead of "look better"?

Either way, and back to my original point in response to ECs post: I didn't know we were now assuming the CPU was behind the times. I thought the current thesis was that it was modern features but lacking clock speed - hence what I wrote.

TriGen

Only ten more days to go. Even though I think we'll just get stuff that we expect, I'm glad we're close to something happening.

Hmm, been following these threads from the start and I'm sure it has been mentioned a few times by much more intelligent folk than myself that if ports aren't optimised to take advantage of OoOE, then they'll not see any advantage from it. Maybe I'm mistaken or that's since been debunked while I wasn't looking :p And perhaps I should have said "perform better" instead of "look better"?

Either way, and back to my original point in response to ECs post: I didn't know we were now assuming the CPU was behind the times. I thought the current thesis was that it was modern features but lacking clock speed - hence what I wrote.

AFAIK everything you've said is correct to my understanding of WUST convo too. The other factor is that some CPU functions would be best shifted to GPGPU which would require re-writing code.

jimi_dini

Unless they introduce crappy LBP-style floaty-jumping :D

LBP1s online is crappy, even if I would be fine with the floaty-jumpy. I mean someone connecting to my game mid-level and it seems like my PS3 would go fully berserk for 10-20 seconds, and lag and crap. I died several times because of that.

I really don't understand how they could release it like that.

For Super Mario Galaxy however, maybe online would be possible for that one. I'm not sure. At least it's 3D, so little lag shouldn't be that problematic. Although controls are still spot-on. I guess having worse controls would make on-line easier to implement, because people wouldn't notice it that much.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Let's hope all "TV off" games will be available as DD titles.

I agree, especially if/because most of the DD titles will probably be good for quick sessions (as TokiTori for example). But also retails games could be, if "pickup&play" games such as Scribblenauts, Sega All star racing and so on, will be perfect fit for the Off-tv" features. I hadrly see me playing Mass effect-kid of games only on the gamepad on the other hand. Hopefully, Ea will be smart enough to allow me to play Fifa on the gamepad, if I want...

I was just checking out the HUD thread. I wonder if it turns out with no HUD on the TV and everything on your GamePad will people soon miss having everything on one screen?

I guess you cannot get rid of somethings on screen right? Racing games needing maps or Fighting Games needing health bars - I don't see them being moved to the gamepad do you?

Are the scribblenaut games good? I mean, they are quite clever, but is it just a case of trial and error until you have discovered the right object to continue?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Are the scribblenaut games good? I mean, they are quite clever, but is it just a case of trial and error until you have discovered the right object to continue?

The first one was simply brilliant, but had some limits (due to the only-touch control over Max, that worked badly, and some limit to the possibilities of creating objects). The second one refined the formula, but this one seems much more rich, not so streamlined, with the intention to change the structure from a puzzle game to a more adventorous title. check the thread (I bumped it with the new video), you'll find some interesting info in the last page in terms of new features (as the multiplayer, the "rpg" aspect, the story mode, the editor sharing and so on)

I was just checking out the HUD thread. I wonder if it turns out with no HUD on the TV and everything on your GamePad will people soon miss having everything on one screen?

I guess you cannot get rid of somethings on screen right? Racing games needing maps or Fighting Games needing health bars - I don't see them being moved to the gamepad do you?

I think that some games will have no HUD on the TV, shifting everything on the gamepad, while other will split some info on the tv and some other on the gamepad.
I really hope that at least the dedicated games will study very carefully this part, maybe also allowing you to customize the HUD.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Playstation 4 or Xbox 720 not on the list maybe ^^

But there's absolutely no reason for that to get posted in the Wii U thread, especially in such a vague manner that could hype people about the Wii U supporting it.

NickMitch

With all those disappointments that have been since the Wii-U reveal, I believe that no matter what they do the 13th, it will blow my already blewn mind. This leads me to think: Could the E3 NintendoLand firework-fail be a planned nosedive to keep expectations as low as possible, or does Nintendo just think so different?Shadowplay or hybris?

kitsuneyo

Checking platforms supported by UE4 ;)

(some surprises there)

Epic has said UE4 is super scalable. They said it as recently as a few days ago when talking about Fortnite, and how they designed the graphics to make them fit on almost any platform.

But I know they've also said UE4 is for tomorrow's super powerful platforms that aren't even announced yet.

Can anyone explain the contradiction of these two statements?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
With all those disappointments that have been since the Wii-U reveal, I believe that no matter what they do the 13th, it will blow my already blewn mind. This leads me to think: Could the E3 NintendoLand firework-fail be a planned nosedive to keep expectations as low as possible, or does Nintendo just think so different?Shadowplay or hybris?

E3 directly appeals to shareholders. 'Planning' a nosedive is them basically saying "we're going to make our company less valuable for X period of time". It makes no sense for a public company to play mind games with finances.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
sounds shady, hope its real and does not turn out to be another "Sadness"

and I quote...loving the artwork, it reminds me of

468px-The-Last-Story-Manamia-Character-Artwork.png

and

blame.jpg

mixed together LOL

JordanN

Banned
Epic has said UE4 is super scalable. They said it as recently as a few days ago when talking about Fortnite, and how they designed the graphics to make them fit on almost any platform.

But I know they've also said UE4 is for tomorrow's super powerful platforms that aren't even announced yet.

UE4 is an engine with next gen features. It's graphics will truly shine on the platforms it targets.

However, the same next gen features can scale down to any hardware that supports them.

Think of how UE3 is on iOS and PC I guess.

E3 directly appeals to shareholders. 'Planning' a nosedive is them basically saying "we're going to make our company less valuable for X period of time". It makes no sense for a public company to play mind games with finances.

Is it actually illegal?
Or just not a nice thing to do to your investors?

Im guessing NSMBU will not have online coop and no online leaderboards.
Such a missed opportunity and does not instill confidence in Nintendo's commitment to online.

I really hope a unified online system is announced soon with details including in game OS level chat available at launch.

Mario with leaderboards and some simple speed run and score based achievements would be sweet. Instantly and easily increases the replay value.

To me this is the future of mario. Return of a proper score system and online features. I would love to be able to see crazy top speed runs and score maximizing plays.

I like the speed run/leaderboard idea. But to me if something like that weren't implemented, it would be due to NSMBU being a rush to have 1st party titles available at or around launch. Which is what I believe about the game.

You can't just depend on the flash like that though, like for the maximum RAM usage game scenario posted you'd need to wipe the game out of memory any time you used one of the OS apps (like the 360 for most functions) cause you don't have enough flash to swap the game to. For the flash as swap ideas to work you'd need at least the amount of RAM of the largest chunk that will be swapped out. Just using it directly as a pseudo pool of RAM would be too slow.

That said if the SLC tidbit is true then I imagine it'd be used for...well something with a lot of writing, hopefully something more efficient than the virtual memory ideas that have been tossed around. MLC is decent enough these days (fast enough and cheaper), the main reason to use SLC is the increased amount of write cycles.

The most obvious use I can think of would be a disk cache. If it's there for any game to use it'd need good write endurance, and it'd be faster to read from than the optical drive or any other storage. Probably a stretch if you're relating it to RAM usage, but it could help (in the game space) if more data could be streamed rather than loaded all initially.

The patent from last year did indicate this.

This is a WiiU thread, soooooooooo...

3DS?

I share this response.

It's not because there are two renderers in UE4 according to Sweeney. One that we would consider "the real" UE4 and another for mobile products. So "the real" UE4 is the one for "super powerful" platforms and the one for the mobile line is why it's super scalable.

Plus some, if not all, of that confusion has come from Rein being in sales mode.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
While I agree with you on this specific point, Nintendo keeps information close to their chests, valuing competitive advantage secrecy more than short term stock level.

Iwata last june talking to analysts said:
"As people in the industry have observed what we have done in the past, if we prematurely disclose our development information, it is possible that products with similar concepts could be launched before Nintendo itself can finalize and launch the products," explained Iwata. "Please understand that Nintendo cannot elaborate on what we are working on until the time we are ready to make the official announcement, because doing so would negatively affect the real impact of our products when they are released into the market."

ultrazilla

Gold Member

You do realize Iherre is a developer, right? :)

The_Lump

Banned
Is it actually illegal?
Or just not a nice thing to do to your investors?

Not sure of the legality but it would be an utterly stupid business move. It wouldn't benefit Nintendo in the slightest to reduce shareholders faith in the company - regardless of it being to set up a "Surprise! We knew what we were doing all along!" moment.

They'll play the hype game like any other company (being secretive etc) but never purposefully to the detriment of their share price.

The_Lump

Banned
Maybe 3rd party UE4 games are in development for wiiu?

Sorry, thought u meant that them saying '3rd parties could port it' could explain why lherre has possibly seen it on a list. I misunderstood.

-----

Also, maybe lherre is being sarcastic ;)

Sid

Sorry, thought u meant that them saying '3rd parties could port it' could explain why lherre has possibly seen it on a list. I misunderstood.

-----

Yeah that would explain Epic's stance of wiiu not being a 'targeted' platform but a 'supported' one just like the vita is for UE3.

tkscz

-----

About being surprised? I can see that, but lherre isn't really know for being a troll about these things. Unless is account has been hacked.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No member war in my words, but...wasn't lherre blaming WiiU specs on another forum? probably, the surprise, due to the recent Epic's comment about the possibility (just that, BTW) to port the UE4 to the Wii U, is that Wii U is not in that list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom