• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
So, new version of Wwise was just released, and brings with it another round of rather substantial Wii U optimizations, increasing overall performance while reducing the memory footprint, and speeding up certain effects by up to 4.4x. Considering they touted slightly above 360 levels of performance several releases ago, almost all of which came with further optimizations, I'm really not sure what to make of the "weak CPU" rumors. They also gave a few performance figures (peak limiter: 0.2% CPU load, delay: 0.07% CPU load), though they're pretty useless as I don't have anything to compare them to.

The_Lump

Banned
Reggie seems pretty out of touch to me. Nice guy, but out of touch.

Don't be fooled: He's in touch. He can always touch you.

151252-i_4442.jpg

i only had to use one when i worked at place. it was only for the shortcut though.

I imagine at Ubi that because it takes 4 security doors to get to another room, to save the hassle when they want to share information with colleagues they just yell it out the window to the adjoining room, and pass it down the outside of the building like a giant game of Chinese whispers. This would explain all the leaks.

I just don't know what you're looking for in the launch. Nintendo have the casual bases covered, trying to appeal to Nintendo fans with Mario & Pikmin (and Nintendoland), and then trying to attract 360PS3 gamers with ZombiU and the like.

It's clear we disagree, but I won't get into a heated debate with you as I've been banned for less :) I think Nintendo have done pretty well, it's certainly better than the Wii launch.

As I'm also often stating, the launch itself might have good games (And don't forget that we do not even know what's coming at the actual launch yet... gotta prepare for delays until the end of this ,launch window'), the whole lack of any future proof is quite worrisome to me and hence I naturally look at the launch more skeptical. (Because it's simply all we've got for now) Perhaps Wii didn't have quite as much as the WiiU, but at least I didn't have to worry, since I knew that lots of quality stuff was on the horizon, within the first year even. To me, WiiU doesn't seem to have any ,,killer-app'' or true systemseller yet that would justify a 300$ machine or give me the excitement of a new gen, like the Wii did. But at the same time, there isn't anything on the horizon either. And seeing how this strategy even feels too extreme for modern Nintendo and more importantly - that this is the second ,,unveiling'' of the console already, I get the feeling that some teams are stuck in development hell and their efforts to get 3rd parties on board to perhaps make up for it have equally failed. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this launch window would be stretched until next E3 (because that's what Nintendo does, show what they have ready until next years E3, sometimes with a few delays) and that wouldn't make the launch look so glorious anymore.
8 more days to get further confirmation on this :/ (I'd be the happiest of you if they actually had some crazy blowout planned, but sometimes a bad E3 is just a bad E3)

Oersted

So, new version of Wwise was just released, and brings with it another round of rather substantial Wii U optimizations, increasing overall performance while reducing the memory footprint, and speeding up certain effects by up to 4.4x. Considering they touted slightly above 360 levels of performance several releases ago, almost all of which came with further optimizations, I'm really not sure what to make of the "weak CPU" rumors. They also gave a few performance figures (peak limiter: 0.2% CPU load, delay: 0.07% CPU load), though they're pretty useless as I don't have anything to compare them to.

run lump, run

so what does this mean?

As I'm also often stating, the launch itself might have good games (And don't forget that we do not even know what's coming at the actual launch yet... gotta prepare for delays until the end of this ,launch window'), the whole lack of any future proof is quite worrisome to me and hence I naturally look at the launch more skeptical. (Because it's simply all we've got for now) Perhaps Wii didn't have quite as much as the WiiU, but at least I didn't have to worry, since I knew that lots of quality stuff was on the horizon, within the first year even. To me, WiiU doesn't seem to have any ,,killer-app'' or true systemseller yet that would justify a 300$ machine or give me the excitement of a new gen, like the Wii did. But at the same time, there isn't anything on the horizon either. And seeing how this strategy even feels too extreme for modern Nintendo and more importantly - that this is the second ,,unveiling'' of the console already, I get the feeling that some teams are stuck in development hell and their efforts to get 3rd parties on board to perhaps make up for it have equally failed. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this launch window would be stretched until next E3 (because that's what Nintendo does, show what they have ready until next years E3, sometimes with a few delays) and that wouldn't make the launch look so glorious anymore.
8 more days to get further confirmation on this :/ (I'd be the happiest of you if they actually had some crazy blowout planned, but sometimes a bad E3 is just a bad E3)

I do agree that the time after the launch seems pretty empty... here's hoping for some amazing Nintendo Directs!

I found it but damn these slow ass university computers... I've read the first 10 pages though; this is insane. Is this real life? ;_;

Dude you'll never get to work at Valve by goofing off in Uni time ;)

wow, some even try to sugarcoat outdated ports? I'm not greedy, but there has simply been almost nothing this year that we haven't already seen. Seen last year, the year that was supposed to be solely a teaser of the console. No one would have thought that this was actually already everything we would get one year later. I might have been able to to accept this any other year, but not if you're about to launch a brandnew system. I've only listed the 1st party offerings obviously. Rabbids also has been on the Wii launch as we all know, ZombiU equals Red Steel, Wario is now some cheap WiiPlay equivalent that should have been in Nintendoland and is hence not worth mentioning. P-100 is cool, but compared to the 1st party outlooks when Wii and 3DS started? Way too little, it's awkward to think that this thing comes from the same Nintendo.

Well the thing is they announced games that were really far from release. Paper Mario was shown at the first E3 3DS showing for example but it's releasing a couple of months from now. For Wii U they just announced games that are going to be available on the launch window but you can be sure they have a lot more games on development that are going to be shown in a timely manner unlike the 3DS were everything was blown on a single event and everyone was crazy to get those games as soon as possible which let to disappointment.

Oersted

for you IceDoesntHelp:
Nintendo renewed the trademark for Luigi's Mansion back in January 2010. Eternal Darkness go it's re-upped in February 2010 and Xenoblade as well back in June 2011.
also they tried to make ed, but it got cancelled because of sk. this situation seems unlikely to being repeated with wave race. so there is a chance

"The colours on the screen are OK, but not being retina makes it look like a game from 1989"
"While enjoyable enough, multitouch could have brought a richer, deeper experience"
"I tried playing the multiplayer portion by myself and I had to keep switching my head from pad to TV. Nintendo is really struggling to make good on its promises of new ways to play"

You make jokes. But I expect every single Wii U review to be like this.

TheNatural

My Member!
Reggie seems pretty out of touch to me. Nice guy, but out of touch.

You're only as good as your source material.

All the guy is, is a marketing figurehead, that's it. NCL does whatever the hell they want to do, and Reggie puts it over like an unscrupulous boxing promoter.

Go back to the E3 debacle with Wii Music to see how that went over like a ton of lead. His interviews were like fingers on chalkboard. I remember one where he was like "what do you mean we don't have core games - I mean we have Animal Crossing here!"

wow, some even try to sugarcoat outdated ports? I'm not greedy, but there has simply been almost nothing this year that we haven't already seen. Seen last year, the year that was supposed to be solely a teaser of the console. No one would have thought that this was actually already everything we would get one year later. I might have been able to to accept this any other year, but not if you're about to launch a brandnew system. I've only listed the 1st party offerings obviously. Rabbids also has been on the Wii launch as we all know, ZombiU equals Red Steel, Wario is now some cheap WiiPlay equivalent that should have been in Nintendoland and is hence not worth mentioning. P-100 is cool, but compared to the 1st party outlooks when Wii and 3DS started? Way too little, it's awkward to think that this thing comes from the same Nintendo.

Would love to see a list of thing you actually like because it surely would take less effort to read.

Name me any VP of Sony or Microsoft's that's "in touch"

Name me one.

Jack Tretton

Earendil

Valve is like the Google of the gaming industry. 5.0 is nice. I wonder if Valve HQ has jacuzzis and stuff :)

Fixed. :p

Also, you should check put Valve's leaked employee handbook*. It's like the greatest place on earth to work

*WARNING: May cause you to despise your current job.

I already despise my current job. Screw jacuzzis, I'd be happy to have specifications for a project instead of being handed a pile of steaming crap and told to finish it, except no one really knows what it's supposed to do to begin with.

The_Lump

Banned
I already despise my current job. Screw jacuzzis, I'd be happy to have specifications for a project instead of being handed a pile of steaming crap and told to finish it, except no one really knows what it's supposed to do to begin with.

...so you work at EA?

<.<

>.>

lol.

wsippel

Banned
As I don't have any PS3 or 360 performance figures, I'll try to get something from my PC - if I can figure out how to do it. If I succeed, I'll post results and instructions on how to replicate the test.

Pociask

You're only as good as your source material.

All the guy is, is a marketing figurehead, that's it. NCL does whatever the hell they want to do, and Reggie puts it over like an unscrupulous boxing promoter.

Go back to the E3 debacle with Wii Music to see how that went over like a ton of lead. His interviews were like fingers on chalkboard. I remember one where he was like "what do you mean we don't have core games - I mean we have Animal Crossing here!"

This is definitely an area where Nintendo could learn from Sony (IGN, get on the story, stat!). Sony seems to really embrace being a worldwide company. Hell, so does Square with Eidos. Nintendo meanwhile apparently still keeps Retro under its thumb, doesn't for some reason work closer with great studios like Monster Games and Next Level Games, and doesn't trust NoA further than Iwata can throw Reggie.

Tehalemi

As I don't have any PS3 or 360 performance figures, I'll try to get something from my PC - if I can figure out how to do it. If I succeed, I'll post results and instructions on how to replicate the test.

May the stars of the galaxy guide you in your quest wsippel...

...cause I'd be too paranoid to try it on my PC. xD

D-e-f-

Banned
This is definitely an area where Nintendo could learn from Sony (IGN, get on the story, stat!). Sony seems to really embrace being a worldwide company. Hell, so does Square with Eidos. Nintendo meanwhile apparently still keeps Retro under its thumb, doesn't for some reason work closer with great studios like Monster Games and Next Level Games, and doesn't trust NoA further than Iwata can throw Reggie.

So you haven't read the Sony review in that story, I take it :)

Jarsonot

So do you think we know all the features of the gamepad now? Weren't people saying that we haven't seen all the cool features yet? That was awhile ago though, so I wonder if we know it all by now.

D-e-f-

Banned
So do you think we know all the features of the gamepad now? Weren't people saying that we haven't seen all the cool features yet? That was awhile ago though, so I wonder if we know it all by now.

That was IdeaMan teasing before E3. I think he was referring to the TV button or the clicky sticks. But that's it. There won't be anymore stuff coming. From now on it's all software stuff.

So you haven't read the Sony review in that story, I take it :)

Maybe just choosing to ignore it? ;)

There's just so many little things, as well as big, that they haven't discussed at all. I for one want to know what content we can actually stream to the Gamepad, and whether original Wii games will be included in this. Wii games would actually look super sharp on the smaller screen, would make them tonnes more playable!

I was just thinking earlier it's really weird going into a "next gen" console with expectations for a low price tag.

Well there was such a big furore over big, big price tags last gen. Sony's arrogance of "you'll get another job" etc., and then Nintendo themselves got burned by the big 3DS price tag. I reckon they're scared to death of charging too much.

Mithos

I'm confused, "audio things" didn't we want that running on the DSP instead of the CPU?

Well there was such a big furore over big, big price tags last gen. Sony's arrogance of "you'll get another job" etc., and then Nintendo themselves got burned by the big 3DS price tag. I reckon they're scared to death of charging too much.

Oh it definitely needs to be a lower price, especially since it's really only a half step up generationally in tech, but it's just a bit odd thinking about it costing around £250.

Leaves me more money for the other two I guess next year :p

I still think NFC is a feature unknown still. We saw it in the Legends trailer but that was it. I want moar!

Jarsonot

That was IdeaMan teasing before E3. I think he was referring to the TV button or the clicky sticks. But that's it. There won't be anymore stuff coming. From now on it's all software stuff.

Pretty much what I was thinking. A lot can be done with software, though - looking forward to seeing more on the 13th.

Like I said before they did a couple of cool things with the 3DS (playcoins, mii plaza) and I'm interested to see what they come up with for the wii u.

I'd really like to see accomplishments tied to unlocking crap you can put on your mii. It'd make accomplishments worth a little more, let people play dress up, and it'd be a good way of showing off what you've accomplished. I'd "platinum" a Mario game just to get the overalls for my mii, for instance.

D-e-f-

Banned
I still think NFC is a feature unknown still. We saw it in the Legends trailer but that was it. I want moar!

But what's there to reveal about it? It exists. You can look up how NFC works and you know how Skylanders used the tech for a game. What else do you need? The feature itself is fully known. What's left to know is how it is being used by software. That has nothing to do with the controller though.

wsippel

Banned
I'm confused, "audio things" didn't we want that running on the DSP instead of the CPU?
Yes, but I'm not sure Wwise even uses the DSP yet. It's not mentioned anywhere in the (public) docs, and they didn't really use the Vita DSP for quite some time either. The problem is that DSP effects don't necessarily behave identical to software effects, which could lead to issues and additional work for multiplatform development.

But what's there to reveal about it? It exists. You can look up how NFC works and you know how Skylanders used the tech for a game. What else do you need? The feature itself is fully known. What's left to know is how it is being used by software. That has nothing to do with the controller though.
Same shit to me. I just want to see it in action with the WiiU gamepad.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sony and nintendo's is not surprising. AT ALL. But outside of localization a little R&D and marketing departments, what does NOA even do? NST hasn't made a game in like forever

Outside R&D, marketing, and localization? Those are pretty big fields. Not sure what else you expect them to do. But they have an executive, marketing, and sales division. A customer service division. An RMA division. They have a Localization (NOA Tree House), Quality Testing (NOA Product Testing Dept.), a licensing division, and an engineering division (NOA Engineering). Then, they also have additional R&D companies in NST and NTD in their offices.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Next week will be interesting. Have to think a Nintendo Direct will happen.

Outside R&D, marketing, and localization? Those are pretty big fields. Not sure what else you expect them to do. But they have an executive, marketing, and sales division. A customer service division. An RMA division. They have a Localization (NOA Tree House), Quality Testing (NOA Product Testing Dept.), a licensing division, and an engineering division (NOA Engineering). Then, they also have additional R&D companies in NST and NTD in their offices.

Thanks for clearing that up. And i dunno i just assumed that Nintendo Of America would be more involved in software development. Not really just having a ton of US studios making games, but a department kinda like Nintendo SPD that oversees the development of US based third party's like Next level and Monster

AzaK

Cool, thanks, I almost missed this post.

It's a cross platform library and needs to perform as close to the same on all platforms; something a DSP version for a specific platform might not be able to do. Therefore getting a software library up and running for multiplatform games is probably a higher priority.

Next week will be interesting. Have to think a Nintendo Direct will happen.
Japan/EU I assume you mean? With the NoA info coming out next week, it'd seem weird to have a ND as well in that territory. That said, they had that one just before E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom