• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

Brofield

So four games that were part of the Famicom 30th Anniversary promotion, three games that were part of the 3DS Ambassador program, two games that were rereleased as 3D Classics, and Super Mario World.

Whoever is handling the Virtual Console should be fired immediately. The Wii had a better launch lineup than this. :/

To play Devil's Advocate, the Wii's VC was the very first VC, where it wasn't possible to have duplications.

Super Mario World for a $1.50, that's all they'll get from me. And I guess Super Metroid for 30 cents come May, so more like $1.80 they'll get from me.

Sanic

What a paltry lineup, especially when it amounts to basically 5 titles due to the monthly promotions that have been going on.

This is not special of significant in any way.

UberTag

Dudes, c'mon... setting up Miiverse communities and enabling GamePad support is tough work.
We should be grateful for this fledgling impoverished Nintendo company for giving us what little they are.

glaurung

What a fucking disappointment in that list.

Also, is the mid-December update live yet?

Fuck this. This generation will officially be the first to claim the title: waiting for those firmware updates.

2.10 on PS3, NXE on 360, now 2.0 on WiiBOO.

MormaPope

Banned
HappyBirthdayBlackKid.gif

NotLiquid

Wonder if the small list has anything to do with the 3DS/Wii U stuff Emily Rogers was talking about, assuming it's true. Might be taking it slow to begin with for whatever reason.

*drip...* *drip...* *drip...* *drip...* *drip...* *drip...* *drip...* *drip...*

Christopher

Is there anyone excite about this anymore? You still farm us the same games?? I thought the point of the original virtual console was to stop this.

guit3457

This is horrible, but do you know whats even worst? Some gaffers in the Wii U Update Thread....worst thread in NeoGaf in years.....

Wii VC launch games (NA)

Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Pinball
Soccer
Solomon's Key
The Legend of Zelda
Wario's Woods
F-Zero
SimCity
Super Mario 64
Altered Beast
Sonic the Hedgehog

Amir0x

Banned
It's ok with the amount of people who own the Wii U it's probably for the best they don't flood the market with virtual console titles nobody is going to buy anyway

^ that's my best defense of this

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean WTF even Wii VC had Nintendo 64 at launch - what the hell are they doing ? :lol

JavyOO7

Like I said in the other post, I really hope that N64 and GBA come along. And cross play. And that there are more than just 1 or 2 releases a week. So maybe this launch is a blunder but its follow up is important. I just hope they don't botch the follow up either. What is taking them so long?

Frolow

Banned
If they follow this with a steady stream of 3+ titles per week I might be okay with this.

...But we know they won't.

Hiltz

How many titles were released on the Wii VC? Weren't Genesis games on there at launch?

There's around 409 titles on the North American VC, not including any potential titles Nintendo may have mysteriously removed from the service.

Zia

Can't wait for the defenders to come in and argue that it's better this way so Nintendo can properly market and advertize these games.

"Guys. Nintendo knows what it's doing. They release the highest quality product in the industry, and as such, they are creating value for the product where it wouldn't otherwise exist. You know, like the Disney vault. Nintendo is just looking out for us, the consumer, because they understand that we value value. Value."

Drago

Whoever replaces Iwata better fix the VC situation on both WiiU and 3DS.

In its current state, it is absolutely pitiful.

GulAtiCa

Wii VC launch games (NA)

Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Pinball
Soccer
Solomon's Key
The Legend of Zelda
Wario's Woods
F-Zero
SimCity
Super Mario 64
Altered Beast
Sonic the Hedgehog

Wow, not only did Wii VC get 12 games, also got N64 and Genesis games... :/

If they follow this with a steady stream of 3+ titles per week I might be okay with this.

...But we know they won't.
Even 3 a week starting with this 8 would be pretty bad IMO. Starting with 20+ would have been ideal..

This is just loony, no other way to put it. They are incomprehensibly late to launch a service they were already running for years on Wii (and launched with it), and then it's like we're back in 2006. Maybe, just maybe, next week we'll get Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong 3. Woo-hoo!

Eusis

Not that I'm getting my hopes up at all, but it would be funny if this was how it launched... only to keep getting 6-10 games every week for a few months.

I'm thinking part of the problem though is that third parties are much colder than they were with the VC, I think they must've expected more money from retro digital sales and it ended up being the opposite, nevermind the trouble they might have to go through to get them back on again. Note how the Wii VC barrelled out with Genesis and TG16 support too, whereas this is just NES/SNES, not even Nintendo's N64.

EDIT: Doesn't help many of the companies seem to have vanished or otherwise gotten apathetic, Konami's not pulling TG16 games far as I can tell but they sure don't seem to have interest in getting them up on new platforms.

Top Bottom