• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you figure out its power from that photo? The OP doesn't really provide any insight to that for me... And why edit?

Good lord... I'm not nearly tech savvy enough to understand the photo but... Come on.

I edited because the WUST went from 1TF for months, to 800TF, to 600GFLOP (And this was 'accepted' before a few weeks ago), to 400, to today.

Fascinating stuff, kudos to Chipworks for being so generous.

I look forward to reading an explanation of some of the finer details from those more knowledgeable on the topic than I.

FAKE EDIT: You were not joking when you said this picture was really large 0_0

z0m3le

Banned
Don't worry, FLOPS are a useless metric anyway and two platforms cannot be compared in such a way.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised that Nintendo went this low. I'm actually impressed what they did... I figure it is still more capable than the 360, but obviously this isn't being achieved on paper, it's more about the crazy customizations with this processor... I'm actually amazed. I figured minimum it would be twice this, but it does give me some relief, I don't have to defend Wii U > 360 anymore, it is certainly an interesting design and I'll have to think of it in a vacuum, since that is the only way it makes sense to me at all.

Yamauchi

Banned
The only developers who will be pushing this chip are Nintendo's 1st parties and a perhaps a few 3rd parties they are publishing for / collaborating with.

amaron11

Banned
I edited because the WUST went from 1TF for months, to 800TF, to 600GFLOP (And this was 'accepted' before a few weeks ago), to 400, to today.

Today: a number that no one can reliably calculate because this is not some off the shelf board.

So how in the hell Nintendo is actually losing money with this machine?

So custom boards are CHEAP now? Good lord, why do I even read these threads?

tipoo

Banned
The smaller orange block above it seems to be about 3MB of eDRAM. This might be the framebuffer for Wii mode, or the L2 texture cache, or something else, we're not 100% sure at this point.

This is probably a quack theory, but the L2 of the CPU was supposed to be exactly 3MB too, is it possible it would be on the GPU die since they are so physically close to each other? As close as they are that would introduce unnecessary latency though. Just a crazy idea.

But yeah...Looks like a LOT less shaders than even a 4870, but with more dedicated hardware.

die-shot.jpg

Schnozberry

He must be wrong. Xenos in Xbox 360 is 240 GFLOPS.

Direct comparisons in FLOPS are pretty worthless with all the custom fixed function stuff.

I can still remember how doomed Microsoft was when it was revealed that Xenox had 240GFLOPS and somebody at Sony managed to arrange a hypothetical situation where RSX could hit 1.8TFLOPS, and their PR department (and fanboys) ran with it.

Kimawolf

Yeah it's obviously as I've said Nintendo still believes in playing things the old school way, custom silicon, nothing as obvious as the others. It will make any kind of comparisons with numbers skewed because they aren't playing by the same rules.

D-e-f-

Banned
It weirds me out that there's already a bunch of people in here waiting for confirmation that Wii U is a weak piece of garbage.

Seriously, what's the deal with this nonsense?

Also, you guys are crazy for spending 200 bucks on a photo just to analyze a chip :D

Neff

The numbers mean nothing, particularly when comparing hardware manufacture/engineering agendas 6 years apart.

The architecture, which is still a relatively unknown entity, is what's important.

It weirds me out that there's already a bunch of people in here waiting for confirmation that Wii U is a weak piece of garbage.

People have constipated themselves to the point of agony waiting for the green light to authoritatively unload a massive dump on Nintendo and Wii U.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So... How about them next gen ports then...?

Stet

Banned
Buying a game IS a better use of money than getting the Wii U board under an X-Ray just so people can find out how "weak" it is.

Pretty sure they wanted to buy it because they're interested in the die, not in putting down the Wii U.

amaron11

Banned

Also, you guys are crazy for spending 200 bucks on a photo just to analyze a chip :D

zvD3g.gif

wsippel

Banned
This is what I currently have:

http://www.abload.de/img/c10234f5_d813301_13195mk1y.png

Red are the (presumed) shader clusters. Blue are the (presumed) TMUs.

The rest of the colorization are simply self-similar components that may not be layed down exactly in square blocks, but are still recognizable.
On the left of the upper green area are two identical blocks as well.

I also don't think the thing in the bottom left is the DSP.

AzaK

Thanks.

The only developers who will be pushing this chip are Nintendo's 1st parties and a perhaps a few 3rd parties they are publishing for / collaborating with.
I think you might be right. And in fact, it might end up being "The only people that can get games that hit parity with 360/PS3" are Nintendo's 1st parties and collaborations.

YCfQB8V.jpg

japtor

I joked about this about a week ago in the specs thread:
Watch it end up being completely foreign looking without any recognizable components.
Well I guess I was partially right so far.

JJD

Congrats on everyone that chipped in.

I hope you guys get credit when every single gaming site out there reports these pictures.

Coolwhip

Banned
Haha, people with absolutely no clue how the tech works are already jumping to conclusions on page 1. Good job!

Makes you wonder if the bill was actually paid by sony or microsoft to have some nice pr against the competition. ^^

just kidding

japtor

Porting may be a little harder than originally speculated but should still be possible.
I figure it makes the developer tools and whatever middleware optimization that much more important. Closer to the metal they try to get the harder it's likely going to be if there is indeed a bunch of custom stuff on there. If the dev software can abstract it enough then it might not be that big of a deal.

tipoo

Banned
So everyone falling back to "fixed function logic makes it incomparable", it seems to me that the uncore (not sure if that term applies in GPUs, but everything that isn't a shader, eDRAM, TMU etc) parts are about as large as other GPUs. Where is all this fixed logic that will save it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom