• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoom and enhance
idGGppKKF0TZi.jpg

BomberMan.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I edited because the WUST went from 1TF for months, to 800TF, to 600GFLOP (And this was 'accepted' before a few weeks ago), to 400, to today.
Well you still haven't told me why you consider it less than 1.5x as strong as the 360 based on the photo.

That was kind of the (not least) important part.

If you're stalling waiting for someone else who actually knows about it to explain why that's okay though, I'll wait too.

Are we all jumping on the 'fixed-function' bandwagon now?
If there's a bandwagon here it's people who are about as knowledgeable as me about it jumping on the it sucks train.

Schnozberry

Accounting for the GCN/WII T&L fixed function pipelines, what area do you suppose is left over for new functions?

I don't know. I guess that was the point. We can't compare it until we get a better analysis. Somebody from Chipworks is supposed to be sending an analysis over to Fourth Storm later today.

AzaK

Yes he was. And what about that french guy?

That bgassassin guy was full of it, wasn't he?

Umm BG never claimed to be psychic.

Accounting for the GCN/WII T&L fixed function pipelines, what area do you suppose is left over for new functions?
Well those sections would be used in Wii U so I can imagine a world where they put in enhanced versions of those that worked for BC and also allow Wii U titles access to them.

I edited because the WUST went from 1TF for months, to 800TF, to 600GFLOP (And this was 'accepted' before a few weeks ago), to 400, to today.

If there is indeed a bunch of custom stuff in there it is possible it may still hit 400 in the end, we just can't easily do the AMD calculation to get there.

ASIS

Judging from the posts, no one knows about this GPU 100% But, can you tech guys give rough estimations about best case & worst case scenarios compared to current/ next gen consoles?

amaron11

Banned
Fourth Storm, wsippel, Blu, Durante and myself

Some of these posters are big Wii U defenders...so you're wrong. And I know Durante is not that type of poster.

Am I overreacting a bit? Sure. I'll admit it.

People who are too emotionally invested in Nintendo shouldn't.

I feel bad for you if you're not even the slightest bit emotionally invested in something you spend hundreds of dollars on.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is what a focus on BC buys you. Well that and low power and low cost.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How much of this chip is wasted so it can run Wii software?

Durante

So everyone falling back to "fixed function logic makes it incomparable", it seems to me that the uncore (not sure if that term applies in GPUs, but everything that isn't a shader, eDRAM, TMU etc) parts are about as large as other GPUs.
This is an interesting point. It doesn't look that way at all in the RV770 shot due to its arrangement, but the "uncore" parts actually do take up as much area as the "core" parts. So the ratio on the Wii U GPU isn't too different (though still more imbalanced).

tipoo

Banned
So your points are:

1. Look at the chip how weak it is!
2. But don´t look at the enourmus amount of WTF functions on the same chip. It could weaken point 1.!
?

Please show me where? The non-core aspects of the chip look about proportional to any GPU, look at the 4870 die shot I posted, it has a lot of non shader/tmu etc parts too. All sufficiently advanced chips do. CPUs have a lot of uncore parts rather than logic parts.

If someone can show me why that's not true I'd be happy to reconsider, but "fixed function" appears to be the newest fallback. The uncore looks the same as the uncore of any GPU to me. And some of that would go to backwards compatibility too.

So...theoretically it's between a 360 and PS3, while the Durango and Orbis will be 8x~ more powerful at least?

In terms of FLOPs? Did I get that right?

It weirds me out that there's already a bunch of people in here waiting for confirmation that Wii U is a weak piece of garbage.

Seriously, what's the deal with this nonsense?

Also, you guys are crazy for spending 200 bucks on a photo just to analyze a chip :D

It's all for the sake of science.

Yeah it's weird.

guek

Banned
Putting all the pointing and laughing aside, I don't understand this info.

For all the people who are laughing it up, how is Wii U able to run ME3, AC3, BlopsII, etc? How is it able to run X?

And don't be jackass and say "poorly lol," that's not the goddamn point. Those games, for the most part run fine and I'm not sure how that's possible.

As a layman, I don't understand what's going on here one bit.

JJD

I might believe your explanation if I hadn't read just about every Wii U thread here.

What are you exactly doing here? Go do something more productive with your time.

Thread whining is a bannable offense.

What this guys did is commendable.

kinggroin

Banned
Judging from the posts, no one knows about this GPU 100% But, can you tech guys give rough estimations about best case & worst case scenarios compared to current/ next gen consoles?

176GF worse case

Around 600 absolute wish-upon-a-star best case

How many ALUs per shader unit (8 units at 20 or 40 or 80 ALUs)? No one seems to know exactly. Or if the fixed function stuff is Wii only, or hybrid. Of the later, how do we measure GF performance of an unknown?

So basically, wait.

JABEE

I'm not sure where this lines up right now? Does anyone have an idea if it will be powerful enough to give a little more juice past this generation of hardware?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Why bother getting the photo if this thread is just another place for clueless dolts to troll?

Because now instead of rumor or speculation we have hard facts to shut some of them down. Certain people on both sides of the debate no longer have any real foundations for their claims or hopes at one time about specs. What we see know is different than most what actually and exactly expected or thought nintendo would actually do.

Being near the bullseye doesn't mean you were on it or really all that close.

The only developers who will be pushing this chip are Nintendo's 1st parties and a perhaps a few 3rd parties they are publishing for / collaborating with.

Indeed. It's a little sad but, at the same time, I'm kinda curious about this whole partnership approach Nintendo has taken as of late. It makes even more sense now, in light of this new information. I foresee that what WiiU will lack in third party ports, it will make up in kooky third party exclusives and an increased output of first party content due to collaborations. We've already seen several examples.

It is certainly an interesting console and I think it will translate into an interesting generation for Nintendo. I look forward to more analysis.

What do we gather from this picture? I see disappointed people.

The WiiU GPU is a lot more customised than we thought, the initial looks of it is that it may be very weak, but there are a lot of stuff on it that we are not 100% about.

I think that's the gist.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So are we really going to have to wait to see a top tier first party title before really knowing what the system can do?

NotLiquid

I'm not sure where this lines up right now? Does anyone have an idea if it will be powerful enough to give a little more juice past this generation of hardware?

As far as I understand, some people suspect using the fixed functions will be able to push it passed the 360/PS3-esque limits but that few third parties will actually try exploiting that, and it'll be a feature only first party games will see good usage of.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
How much of this chip is wasted so it can run Wii software?
Somewhere between 100% and none?

Do some of the people in this thread posting strong opinions realize they're making asses of themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom