• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Man I feel bad for Retro's engineers. Based on their Gamecube accomplishments, you have to think they want to be producing industry leading benchmarks and are frustrated by Nintendo's nonsense. I suppose their bean counters are happy though.
You should read through the last couple of pages of that retro stalker thread to see how retro really feels about making games on Nintendo hardware, or hardware in general.

wsippel

Banned
Even if the GPU is a little stronger that hardly outdoes the hilariously bad CPU and the half 360 speed RAM.
This thing actually has so many independent memory pools, each pool on its own bus, that the ~12GB/s to MEM2 are pretty much meaningless.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
And yet it runs ports at pretty much the same level of performance, on a 3rd of the power consumption. How odd.

I've seen this argument raised before. No one cares about power consumption on consoles. We only want performance.

StevieP

Banned
Being able to code to the metal and have way less overhead changes things dramatically. A closed console environment is way different. This is the main reason why consoles are always a couple generations a head, not to mentions devs seem to be able to extract more and more as time goes on. Look at The Last of Us or GoW: A for example, or any game released at the end of a console generation.

These days are over.
We will be seeing a lot of smoke and mirrors to make things look good from here on out. And there's nothing wrong with that on the console front. It's why they can be smaller, produce less heat, etc, than our equivalent PCs.

See: X

cyberheater said:
No one cares about power consumption on consoles. We only want performance.

Don't pretend to speak for the masses. You & I don't care, certainly. Lots and lots of people do.

Even if the GPU is a little stronger that hardly outdoes the hilariously bad CPU and the half 360 speed RAM.

It does have twice the amount of RAM available to games, AND twice the edram. Also the CPU is out of order, and with more L2 cache. On the CPU side there's definitely some pro and cons(which embarrassing in itself when your comparing it to a CPU 7 years older), but at the end of the day its much newer tech than Xenon.

Does that PC have a Wii U tablet? People seem to forget that the tablet is the main reason the price of the Wii U is as high as it is. More importantly...

When will people realize that consoles are NOT PC's and comparisons are pointless. Please show me a PC from 2005/2006 that can run Uncharted 3 or equivalent visuals, ok? GPU's in consoles will always be able to accomplish things that the equivalent GPU in the PC world would never dream of doing. How do you put a price tag on that???

Being able to code to the metal and have way less overhead changes things dramatically. A closed console environment is way different. This is the main reason why consoles are always a couple generations a head, not to mentions devs seem to be able to extract more and more as time goes on. Look at The Last of Us or GoW: A for example, or any game released at the end of a console generation.

That kinda proves my case :p
You could with less customized components, probably achieve greater power than what is currently found in the Wii U. Especially if you were to increase the size of it four-fold (so to PS3/Xbox360 size) and not restrict yourself to just 75W.

Going small and low-powered (energy wise) with the Wii U was a mistake imho, obviously a result of designing the console with Japan primarily in mind (because it's a pretty insignificant factor in EU/NA so long as it's not the size of a desktop).

I love the Wii U, but if the box isn't important like Iwata and Reggie said, why didn't they increase the size and power requirements of it so that they could squeeze in more stuff into it at the same price?

pulsemyne

This thing actually has so many independent memory pools, each pool on its own bus, that the ~12GB/s to MEM2 are pretty much meaningless.
Can see why nintendo said it was a very memory intensive design. Nintendo always seem to design machines around the memory and not just as an after thought.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You should read through the last couple of pages of that retro stalker thread to see how retro really feels about making games on Nintendo hardware, or hardware in general.

Retro... stalker thread?

I've seen this argument raised before. No one cares about power consumption on consoles. We only want performance.

I think his point was more that the performance demonstrated under real world conditions does not mesh with the disparaging opinion of people who constantly chant "weak and shitty, weak and shitty" in a drum circle of scorn.

The_Lump

Banned

It's not an argument and I'm not championing power consumption - I was pointing out the futility in trying to judge WiiUs "power" at this point. Let 'em work out what we're looking at first!

wsippels post a bit further up re memory pools is a prime example :)

Patience...

edit - above: yup

Log4Girlz

We've basically learned that the GPU is a little low on the horsepower department. But does this translate directly to in-game performance? Like a race-car is all in the customizations. What kind of tires will the car have? Exhaust? What is the drag co-efficient of the body? Who is the driver? Rookie or a seasoned Professional (think dev teams)? This will determine if we have a 200 hp corolla or a 200 hp Lotus Elise. Big difference in performance with the same horse power.

Chronos24

I'm fairly new at this and I want to understand the chip shot a little better. How would I go about "counting" certain parts like the spus and the Edram? I get the explanations but I am just trying to better understand what I'm looking at. Been lurking and posting here and there and just wanna say thanks to you guys for orchestrating this. I've always been curious and from reading the posts I've been trying to learn what I can. Thanks again guys.

Pagusas

Elden Member
X looks better than the best of what this generation has to offer.

Why do people keep saying this? I've yet to see a single video of X that couldnt have been done on the PS3 or 360. That shot of the mech transforming and flying off just makes me scratch my head and wonder where you guys have been the last 3 to 4 years, we already have games on the market that look great in similar fashion.

does it look great? YES! Does it look like any form of a generational, or even half generational leap? No.

These days are over.
We will be seeing a lot of smoke and mirrors to make things look good from here on out. And there's nothing wrong with that on the console front. It's why they can be smaller, produce less heat, etc, than our equivalent PCs.

See: X

Don't pretend to speak for the masses. You & I don't care, certainly. Lots and lots of people do.

Why? Being in a closed environment with every user having the exact same hardware, and with way less overhead, and being able to code to to the metal still accomplishes the same things as it did before.

I doubt you'll see a gtx690 on PC or whatever being able to accomplish the things Orbis' will be able to at the end of its life cycle. Even though it has more than twice the flops.

You could with less customized components, probably achieve greater power than what is currently found in the Wii U. Especially if you were to increase the size of it four-fold (so to PS3/Xbox360 size) and not restrict yourself to just 75W.

Going small and low-powered (energy wise) with the Wii U was a mistake imho, obviously a result of designing the console with Japan primarily in mind (because it's a pretty insignificant factor in EU/NA so long as it's not the size of a desktop).

I love the Wii U, but if the box isn't important like Iwata and Reggie said, why didn't they increase the size and power requirements of it so that they could squeeze in more stuff into it at the same price?

More power on paper? Yes. More power in real world terms? No. I think you missed my point. Games that release on the Wii U in the future(2-3 yrs from now) would never be able to run at a framerate above 10fps on the hardware you listed. Or even a more powerful GPU wont be able to(600-800gflop GPU).

I bet you could build a PC at the same price that'd be more powerful than the Wii U.

Oh, look, I did:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£86.70 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£57.13 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 Memory (£8.89 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial V4 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£36.32 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card (£21.05 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case (£32.38 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W ATX12V Power Supply (£35.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £277.79

Premium version is £299, so throw in a cheap taiwanese tablet for under 30 quid and you're good to go. Throw in as many free games you can find in place of a copy of Nintendoland.

Jokes aside (though someone should sell PCs at the price of Wii Us), it is a massive disappointment to hear that Nintendo has made a seemingly absurd decision. It doesn't really matter if they have a ton of custom metal in there, as the more they have customized it the less likely it is to be pushed to its fullest by most developers.

HD 5450 oh man, this guy.

the HD 5450 is only around 100 gflops

Durante

I really wouldn't agree that external memory bandwidth is meaningless. It's still the only way to get the vast majority of your data out of and into the chip per-frame. Lots of small memory pools are an asset, but its ultra high bandwidth ring bus and per-SPE local store didn't make Cell's external memory bandwidth irrelevant.

On the CPU side there's definitely some pro and cons(which embarrassing in itself when your comparing it to a CPU 7 years older), but at the end of the day its much newer tech than Xenon.
"More recently customized" would be correct, but the basic architecture of the CPU is from the last century.

wsippel

Banned
But it's not this?

Up: To clarify, Wii's "Broadway" GPU (inc. eDRAM) was 8mm x 9mm, or 72mm² on a 90nm process. That would only account for about 10-20% of the die space on a 146.48mm² 40nm chip, if they just slapped Broadway on there. However, given Shiota's comment here, many of the Wii BC functions should actually be handled by the Wii U's GPU hardware, so the actual amount of die space used purely for Wii BC should be very small, possibly just 5-10%.
The stuff we got from Chipworks is extremely low level. Apparently, the parts at the bottom left are both interfaces, though we have no idea what they interface with. The thing on the left has a tank oscillator (no idea what that is, but it's apparently good stuff), and the one next to it is a very high speed interface, potentially SerDes. Don't feel bad if you have no idea what that means, as we have pretty much no idea either. :)

SmokyDave

When you're buying a games console. The last thing you're going to look at is it's power consumption.
I agree (I want a muscle car, not a Prius), but I hope that high power consumption doesn't come at the expense of reliability this time. Make the cases the size of PC if needs be, there'll be slim models down the line anyway.

Durante

The stuff we got from Chipworks is extremely low level. Apparently, the parts at the bottom left are both interfaces, though we have no idea what they interface with. The thing on the left has a tank oscillator (no idea what that is, but it's apparently good stuff), and the one next to it is a very high speed interface, potentially SerDes. Don't feel bad if you have no idea what that means, as we have pretty much no idea either. :)
Nice, that's what experts are for.

StevieP

Banned
I agree (I want a muscle car, not a Prius), but I hope that high power consumption doesn't come at the expense of reliability this time. Make the cases the size of PC if needs be, there'll be slim models down the line anyway.

The problem is, die shrinks aren't really going to be there in force for the 8th generation. If at all.
They were really only in play a couple times this generation. You've got to do it how you want it from the start.

Mlatador

Banned
Man I feel bad for Retro's engineers. Based on their Gamecube accomplishments, you have to think they want to be producing industry leading benchmarks and are frustrated by Nintendo's continued nonsensical hardware decisions. I suppose their bean counters are happy though.

The funny thing is, they have been able to produce industry leading benchmarks actually, if you count the overall quality, awesomeness and fun of their games.

And in an industry that lives off selling "fun" and "games" that's pretty much as good as it can get.

You wish they were frustrated, but I think they aren't. If anthing, their most likely very proud and satisfied with themselves and their accomplishments.

Lot's of mysteries to solve. ;)

Google doesn't know either @ tank oscillator.

SerDes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SerDes ) (for those who're interested / if it's even this)

Schnozberry

According to the always reliable Wikipedia, a Tank Oscillator in electronics is used to tune radios. I'd guess Gamepad Streaming? The SerDes converts serialized data to parralel and vice versa. What it's doing on the GPU is above my intelligence level on the subject.

wsippel

Banned
I really wouldn't agree that external memory bandwidth is meaningless. It's still the only way to get the vast majority of your data out of and into the chip per-frame. Lots of small memory pools are an asset, but its ultra high bandwidth ring bus and per-SPE local store didn't make Cell's external memory bandwidth irrelevant.
It's certainly not meaningless, but it's probably/ hopefully "fast enough" considering what it's meant to do. I think Nintendo learned its lesson in that regard after the N64.

"More recently customized" would be correct, but the basic architecture of the CPU is from the last century.
It's still a pretty good and efficient design.

The_Lump

Banned

Hopefully I made my point clearer further up. I'm not implying power consumption trumps power output, just making a point that we needn't start the ridiculing in this thread as well.

For starters we've still got a lot to decipher from the pics.

My 2 pence anyhoo

joesiv

Power consumption isn't a factor of performance anymore? No wonder components always list power consumption ratings...
Components need power consumption ratings because people need those to know how much power their power supply (and also cooling systems) need to deal with.

Actually, it's interesting, many people will wait for a die shrink before buying things like CPU's and GPU's because the lowered power (and heat) requirements. Especially if you're putting it in something like a SFFPC (or HTPC) which has a built in power supply and limited watts and cooling to go around.

In terms of laptops, lower power ratings will also mean better battery life.

I honestly doubt people look at power ratings on GPU's and pick the one that has the highest, rather they'd look at things that matter more like actual performance specifications.

Meelow

Banned
Question, with how much Iwata compared the Wii U to the GameCube, and what we know right now of the GPU was the Wii U built a lot like how the GameCube was built or is that wishful thinking?

Hermii

75 Watts ? The Wii U is only using 33 Watts. If it used 75 it would be very powerful compared to current gen.

I do agree they should have inchreased it, but thats not what this thread is about. Its about determining the actual performance, not what it should have been or could have been.

pulsemyne

The tanks oscilator is likely something made by Qualcom. A quick bit of googling reveals patents for them from Qualcom. Seems to be something about keeping clocks stable but I haven't a clue about that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hopefully a little closure here for people expecting some magic to rush forth from the GPU like a genie stowed up in a lamp.

Also takes the edge off a lot of port begging with regards to pretty much most of "next-gen" and that its a real hassle even for multiplatform ports this gen. Nintendo sure made a lot of weird decisions with this box.

Well, looking at the hardware doesn't really tell us anything about WHAT fixed functions are available so that's still a mystery that won't really be solved in this thread...it's not "magic" per say but it irks me when people simply count up shader units to compute flops and don't consider that that isn't accurate because other components are taking over functions that would have used those shader units

boxter432

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47012976&postcount=437

Heya Theo,
Happy Holidays my friend and thanks for the note. We normally don't respond to these but wanted to get back to you about our website. We know our website isn't anything amazing, that's intentional and for good reason. Simply put, we're a small game development studio. We put every resource into making great games. We don't have a web master, we don't have a marketing department, we don't have a consumer service department. We concentrate all of our efforts on making high quality Nintendo games and that's what's important to us.If you want to know anything about Retro Studios, just play our games. . We would rather take the resources involved with making a website and hire a talented Designer, Artist or Engineer. You may also wonder why you don't hear much from or about us in the media. That's also intentional and for the very same reason. We only care about making great games. We like to lay low and under the radar. We are humble, modest and we work very, very hard to keep our fans surprised, happy and satisfied. That's all that matters to your friends at Retro Studios.

Durante

I feel like I'm probably missing out on all the good stuff because I'm away from my email. (Yes, and still on GAF, that's possible!)

I hope for an OP update soon ;)

I bet you could build a PC at the same price that'd be more powerful than the Wii U.

Oh, look, I did:

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card (£21.05 @ Scan.co.uk)

The 5450 is not even halfway decent even compared to the Wii U's GPU which most definitely has more than the 80 shader units in the 5450.

ATI Radeon 5450 Specs

AlStrong seems to think it's 320 SPU's... meaning 352 Gflops.

This seems like a more reasonable guess. I've mentioned before in the Wii U tech spec thread that I wouldn't be disappointed if 320 was the case. 320 SUs would give a 50% boost over the 360's GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom