• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiWare now available in Japan.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hunahan said:
Every shmup is a high score game. Only difference here is that you get way, waaaay less of it.

I call a spade a spade.

The 2 & 5 minute modes were by far the best modes of the 3 best PC Engine vertical shooters (Super Star Soldier, Star Parodier & Nexzr). The scoring system in those modes is much more in depth than the main game, with loads of hidden bonuses, score multipliers and combo features. They were REALLY well done, and yes they do stand alone. The modes were even used for competitions in Japan for Nexzr for example, which got re-released to add those modes in!

You play them differently because of the time limit. It's literally like a racing game, you know once you get to a certain point of a level if you are ahead or behind where you should be. It's very intense, in the way the life of a Repo Man is always intense.

I played them to death, far more than the main games. If that's not enough for you then fair enough, but there are people who will eat this up.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
exactly... you have to understand what star soldier r is, and I think that's the most confusing part here with a lot of wiiware games. People are expecting regular shmups and arpgs (FFCC) and they are finding completely different games.

Nintendo better REALLY make sure they offer good descriptions of these games for America or there are going to be tons of pissed customers thinking they are buying one thing and finding out it's something else. Not that I have a problem with the games or the approach. I think games like FF:CC and SSR are fresh and ready for a new audience... I just think there will be plenty of people pissed at spending $8-15 on games they feel are incomplete because they weren't what they were expecting.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
borghe said:
exactly... you have to understand what star soldier r is, and I think that's the most confusing part here with a lot of wiiware games. People are expecting regular shmups and arpgs (FFCC) and they are finding completely different games.

Nintendo better REALLY make sure they offer good descriptions of these games for America or there are going to be tons of pissed customers thinking they are buying one thing and finding out it's something else. Not that I have a problem with the games or the approach. I think games like FF:CC and SSR are fresh and ready for a new audience... I just think there will be plenty of people pissed at spending $8-15 on games they feel are incomplete because they weren't what they were expecting.

A good explanation of what the WiiWare concept is, and the games can only be a good thing. And yeah, stop people expecting the same as the games they pick up in the shop.

I personally think it's really refreshing to have a pick-up-and-play and experimental approach to the games, and to encourage replayability over length. This is a return to the more old-school arcade games, and the home-computer days. Where more risks were taken, and more emphasis was placed on coming up with original gameplay mechanics.

Of course you will get developers who take the easy way out, and write disposable fluff, but the games that are refined and deep enough to be truly replayable could emerge as some classic little games. It gives developers a chance to take risks again, and that can only be a good thing.

Hunahan

Banned
Nash said:
The 2 & 5 minute modes were by far the best modes of the 3 best PC Engine vertical shooters (Super Star Soldier, Star Parodier & Nexzr). The scoring system in those modes is much more in depth than the main game, with loads of hidden bonuses, score multipliers and combo features. They were REALLY well done, and yes they do stand alone. The modes were even used for competitions in Japan for Nexzr for example, which got re-released to add those modes in!

You play them differently because of the time limit. It's literally like a racing game, you know once you get to a certain point of a level if you are ahead or behind where you should be. It's very intense, in the way the life of a Repo Man is always intense.

I played them to death, far more than the main games. If that's not enough for you then fair enough, but there are people who will eat this up.
Like I said, if you think this is a full product or a good value, then by all means feel free.

Considering the other shmup efforts available on similar digital downloadable services for similar price ranges, I still see SSR as offering very little content for the cash, but again - that's just my opinion and other people are free to have their own as well.

I'm certainly not the only one in this thread seeing the value equation as I do, however, so I'm having a pretty difficult time understanding what's making my particular comments seem so noteworthy to everyone involved.

I'm glad you found a game that you can enjoy. I certainly never begrudge anyone a good time. Cheers.

later

You can check it out yourself if you follow the instructions at mozy.org/wii

but you will only be able to visit the javascript files if you go to https://.. URL

You also won't be able to view normal HTML pages since they check for a newer version of the wii shop (newer than the fake user agent) and I don't have the newest useragent.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hunahan said:
Like I said, if you think this is a full product or a good value, then by all means feel free.

Considering the other shmup efforts available on similar digital downloadable services for similar price ranges, I still see SSR as offering very little content for the cash, but again - that's just my opinion and other people are free to have their own as well.

I'm certainly not the only one in this thread seeing the value equation as I do, however, so I'm having a pretty difficult time understanding what's making my particular comments seem so noteworthy to everyone involved.

I'm glad you found a game that you can enjoy. I certainly never begrudge anyone a good time. Cheers.

Maybe it's because the PC-Engine 2 & 5 minute modes in the games I mentioned are very highly respected, wrote a lot of the rulebook when it comes to incorporating complicated scoring systems into shooters, and something you appear to have no experience of?

Writing something off on a simple price/length basis is a bit foolish, when many of the best games ever written are based on replayability. Especially this style of shooter, which lives or dies based on the depth of it's scoring system.

Super Star Soldier R sets out to bring back a very popular mode from the golden age of shooters with a modern polish, and as such is it's own thing. If you want a generic 6 level + bosses shooter, then you buy a generic 6 level + bosses shooter. Of which there are many.

later said:
You can check it out yourself if you follow the instructions at mozy.org/wii

but you will only be able to visit the javascript files if you go to https://.. URL

You also won't be able to view normal HTML pages since they check for a newer version of the wii shop (newer than the fake user agent) and I don't have the newest useragent.

So there is are rental optiom on thw wii shop?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
_leech_ said:
Pricing seems... iffy.

I'd say it's hit and miss.

- Solitaire is a scam no matter how cheap it is
- Pokemon Ranch is a scam because they know their target audience.

On the other hand, Dr. Mario & Virus Buster, FF CC, Saku Saku Animal Panic, and Mojipittan are all pretty much in line with the sort of quality we'd expect from XBLA games in their price brackets. FFCC is a fuller game that would 1200 points, the rest are all standard DD games.

Star Soldier R is hard to judge, because it's obviously a niche product and I'm not a huge fan of space shooters. I wouldn't buy it for 8 bucks, but I can definitely see shooter fans feeling that that's a good value preposition.

Also, when you look at some of the US titles, a lot of them have good values on them; Defend Your Castle at 500 points, World of Goo having every interview mentioning "we're going to keep this as cheap as possible", Eternity's :lol at 500 points.

The only title I've heard that's an outright outright scam is Plattchen Twist n' Paint which looks like a 400 MS point XBLA title which is being sold for 1500 Wii points.

Stumpokapow said:
I'd say it's hit and miss.

- Pokemon Ranch is a scam because they know their target audience.

As much as you and I might think so, the crazy Pokétards don't. Trust me. I have one who breeds ~30 eggs to find "the best IVs" or something. And he's continually bitching about the lack of box space within the game cart.

As you might expect, he's drooling over this Wii storage container.

Ugh. DLC for a 1500 point game? Nice one, S-E.

borghe

Hunahan said:
The problem is that this isn't a shmup. It's a time attack. It goes back to what I was saying in my previous post. Comparing SSR to Ikaruga for example, is like comparing a rogue-crawl like Shiren to FFVII. They are two completely different games and no matter how much you insist Shiren is lacking and incomplete because it's not like FFVII, that doesn't change the fact that the two games have nothing to do with each other.

Same thing here. This isn't a shmup. It's a competitive time attack shooter. You can definitely say that's not for you, but to complain that it's deficient or lacking completely misses the point on what the game is. Again it goes back to playing a rogue-like RPG and complaining because it doesn't offer you the same experience as a story driven RPG.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dragona Akehi said:
As much as you and I might think so, the crazy Pokétards don't. Trust me. I have one who breeds ~30 eggs to find "the best IVs" or something. And he's continually bitching about the lack of box space within the game cart.

As you might expect, he's drooling over this Wii storage container.

And that's the beauty of this. Nintendo creates an artificial limitation that all of their biggest nerdiest customers will inevitably hit, and then sells a product for a high price-point that could easily be given away for free or sold for a lower price point to solve that limitation.

I mean, Nintendo could easily have raised the number of pokeys you could store on a DP cart... or they could have built this stuff into Pokemon Battle Revolution... or it could have been a freely downloadable app... or it could have been 500 Wii points.

Ambrella might be a piece of shit developer technically, but be damned if they aren't an awesome investment for Nintendo.

Dragona Akehi said:
No, but paying 1500 points and then having to pay DLC sure does.

I'd say this first batch of DLC for the launch games will be the Wii equivalent of horse armor. As the market settles down and companies get a feel for what people want and don't want, DLC will probably be used better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HiVision said:
the games seem particularly basic so far though... more like the free demos on xbla and psn.

Are you really sure about that? I don't have a lot of PSN experience so I'll stick to XBLA

XBLA sells Carcassone and Catan, Hardwood Backgammon, Texas Hold 'Em, and soon other board and card games. WiiWare sells Mojipittan, which is essentially Japanese Scrabble, and Solitaire.

XBLA sells Hexic 2, TiQal, Poker Smash... WiiWare sells Dr. Mario, Animal Panic, Magnetica, and almost certainly one day Panel de Pon.

XBLA sells repackaged old retro games, VC sells the same for the Wii. Admittedly XBLA has a slightly better value than VC since prices are similar or less on XBLA and feature-sets are slightly better.

XBLA sells Puzzle Quest, WiiWare sells FF:CC. Both premium price points for games that are somewhere between the standard downloadable game and a full retail game.

The services seem pretty comparable here. What will really differentiate positively, I think, is a) release schedule (XBLA one game per week, sometimes none, sometimes two--WiiWare supposedly going to be higher), b) variety in price point (rather than 800 across the board with the occasional up-down on XBLA, WiiWare looks to honestly use the range from 500-1500), and c) the lack of concept approval--which will lead to shit like that dumb dog game GAF has a thread about and potentially cool stuff like Major League Eating.

HiVision said:
the games seem particularly basic so far though... more like the free demos on xbla and psn.

Speaking for the titles I've seen a lot of so far, Dr Mario and Mojipittan seem like fully-fledged puzzle titles with plenty of depth and FFCC looks pretty solid. Star Soldier is obviously limited, but you're buying a Caravan Mode version of the game where the only draw is to keep improving your score; it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Hunahan

Banned
Nash said:
Maybe it's because the PC-Engine 2 & 5 minute modes in the games I mentioned are very highly respected, wrote a lot of the rulebook when it comes to incorporating complicated scoring systems into shooters, and something you appear to have no experience of?

Writing something off on a simple price/length basis is a bit foolish, when many of the best games ever written are based on replayability. Especially this style of shooter, which lives or dies based on the depth of it's scoring system.

Super Star Soldier R sets out to bring back a very popular mode from the golden age of shooters with a modern polish, and as such is it's own thing. If you want a generic 6 level + bosses shooter, then you buy a generic 6 level + bosses shooter. Of which there are many.
Heh. I see how it is.

A game is either Super Star Soldier or it's generic 6 level crap.

Fair enough. I didn't realize I was dealing with that die-hard of a fan.

I'm really not sure what it is you're trying to accomplish here, but yes I have played Super Star Soldier. No, I don't think it's a particularly amazing game. Obviously you disagree, and that's fine.

Insulting my ability to understand the concept of replayability doesn't accomplish anything, however. I have no idea why everyone who disagrees with my value assessment of this particular title feels the need to resort to ad hominem attacks, but that's always my clue to just bail out of an argument since nothing ever gets accomplished as soon as that's the primary method of communication.

I'm really glad you're getting what you want, however. I'm not sure how many times I have to say that, but I'm very pleased that you are pleased.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hunahan said:
Insulting my ability to understand the concept of replayability doesn't accomplish anything, however. I have no idea why everyone who disagrees with my value assessment of this particular title feels the need to resort to ad hominem attacks, but that's always my clue to just bail out of an argument since nothing ever gets accomplished as soon as that's the primary method of communication.

I'm not sure you understand what an ad hom is. An ad hom is when your logic goes "You are wrong because you're an idiot"--not when your logic goes "You are wrong, therefor you're an idiot". Insulting someone is not an ad hominem... and he really barely did that anyway. He at worst was condescending in explaining himself, but he certainly didn't ad hom you.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hunahan said:
Heh. I see how it is.

A game is either Super Star Soldier or it's generic 6 level crap.

Fair enough. I didn't realize I was dealing with that die-hard of a fan.

I'm really not sure what it is you're trying to accomplish here, but yes I have played Super Star Soldier. No, I don't think it's a particularly amazing game. Obviously you disagree, and that's fine.

I'm really glad you're getting what you want, however. I'm not sure how many times I have to say that, but I'm very pleased that you are pleased.

You really aren't getting it, as other people have tried to explain as well above.

You are comparing apples to oranges. I'm not a diehard Super Star Solider fan, I'm a fan of score/time attack modes in shooters. Rather than just a completionist. Hence listing the 3 best games of that type on the PC-Engine. They are different from other shooters, and offer something that those don't.

And no, you aren't pleased I'm pleased. You are just being patronising ;)

HiVision

Cosmonaut X said:
Speaking for the titles I've seen a lot of so far, Dr Mario and Mojipittan seem like fully-fledged puzzle titles with plenty of depth and FFCC looks pretty solid. Star Soldier is obviously limited, but you're buying a Caravan Mode version of the game where the only draw is to keep improving your score; it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Dr Mario of course, is a fully fledged puzzle game, but I wasn't really comparing puzzle games on the various dl services.

I'm talking about more interesting and engrossing games or concepts.

I'm sure it will change as we see more releases, but right now after having read the reviews on Wired none of them struck me as being particularly interesting to be frank. C'mon Kobun Heat, you must admit, even as an avid Nintendo fan, they are a bit of a let down (if you are brutally honest with yourself).

Model 500

Hunahan, this is what you wrote:

Wow. Star Solider looks like a serious fucking hose-down of a rip off.

I've seriously played demos that are longer than that game. 8 bucks for 2 stages that don't even last 5 minutes combined? Can't believe people are actually looking forward to a localization on that deal.

Paging Mr. Barnum....

You left so many holes (accidental or not) in there that you really shouldn't be surprised why some of us wanted to comment...

Hunahan

Banned
borghe said:
The problem is that this isn't a shmup. It's a time attack. It goes back to what I was saying in my previous post. Comparing SSR to Ikaruga for example, is like comparing a rogue-crawl like Shiren to FFVII. They are two completely different games and no matter how much you insist Shiren is lacking and incomplete because it's not like FFVII, that doesn't change the fact that the two games have nothing to do with each other.

Same thing here. This isn't a shmup. It's a competitive time attack shooter. You can definitely say that's not for you, but to complain that it's deficient or lacking completely misses the point on what the game is. Again it goes back to playing a rogue-like RPG and complaining because it doesn't offer you the same experience as a story driven RPG.
Don't try and pretend that SSR is coming from a legacy of genre-differentiation, bro. Super Star Soldier was a standard top-down shooter series and this was merely an extra mode contained within that package offering prior to this itteration.

Since you've drawn the comparison to FFVII, to me SSR is basically trying to debate whether FFVII Snowboarding is a good value to download for your mobile phone - the decision of whether an extra mode is suddenly worthy of being the main course. I say no, others say yes. C'est la vie.

Honestly, I don't feel strongly enough about this issue to continue arguing about it further, but I tried to at least respond to everyone who kept their replies civil about the issue. Cheers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HiVision said:
I'm sure it will change as we see more releases, but right now after having read the reviews on Wired none of them struck me as being particularly interesting to be frank. C'mon Kobun Heat, you must admit, even as an avid Nintendo fan, they are a bit of a let down (if you are brutally honest with yourself).

Except that Chris would probably never have bought Angel's Solitaire or Lonpos simply to play them with no eye to his editorial role. I wouldn't buy Angel's Solitaire. I can't imagine most people would, except old ladies. Same with Pokemon Crack Den--no one except Pokemaniacs will buy that. Star Soldier is in the middle in terms of buyability, really.

In the mean time, FF:CC, Animal Panic, Mojipittan, and Dr. Mario are all pretty much certainly buyable no matter what your taste is. (Mojipittan only if you have a grasp if the language, obviously)

XBLA launched with Geometry Wars, Mutant Storm Reloaded, Bankshot Billards, Gauntlet, Joust, Smash TV, Bejeweled 2, Hexic HD, Zuma, and Outpost Kaloki X. Take away Gauntlet, Joust and Smash TV (since they would be on the VC rather than WiiWare), and what you're left with is pretty comparable to WiiWare's launch, I feel.

Teasel

Stumpokapow said:
Except that Chris would probably never have bought Angel's Solitaire or Lonpos simply to play them with no eye to his editorial role. I wouldn't buy Angel's Solitaire. I can't imagine most people would, except old ladies. Same with Pokemon Crack Den--no one except Pokemaniacs will buy that. Star Soldier is in the middle in terms of buyability, really.

In the mean time, FF:CC, Animal Panic, Mojipittan, and Dr. Mario are all pretty much certainly buyable no matter what your taste is. (Mojipittan only if you have a grasp if the language, obviously)

XBLA launched with Geometry Wars, Mutant Storm Reloaded, Bankshot Billards, Gauntlet, Joust, Smash TV, Bejeweled 2, Hexic HD, Zuma, and Outpost Kaloki X. Take away Gauntlet, Joust and Smash TV (since they would be on the VC rather than WiiWare), and what you're left with is pretty comparable to WiiWare's launch, I feel.
aren't half of those XBLA title shareware game for pc?

HiVision

Stumpokapow said:

Yup, but XBLA was the first service, they did well to get that many titles. Nintendo are joining the party *after* the other two companies have already felt it out for them; I just expected better. [shrug]

Ponn

Banned
borghe said:

That's quite a leap you are trying to make there. And yes I have played Super Star Soldier.

HiVision said:
Yup, but XBLA was the first service, they did well to get that many titles. Nintendo are joining the party *after* the other two companies have already felt it out for them; I just expected better. [shrug]

You expected all the awesome games to be released the first day the service was out, as well?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Teasel said:
aren't half of those XBLA title shareware game for pc?

Shareware/Freeware on the PC: Bejeweled, Zuma, Hexic, Outpost Kaloki X
Classic Games: Gauntlet, Joust, Smash TV
New: Geometry Wars Retro Evolved, Mutant Storm Reloaded, Bankshot Billards 2

... and then if you add all of 2006 you get:

Shareware/Freeware: Hardwood Backgammon, Hardwood Hearts, Hardwood Spades, Wik and the Fable of Souls, Jewel Quest, Feeding Frenzy, AstroPop, RoboBlitz,
Classic Games: Robotron, Frogger, Galaga, Street Fighter 2, Pac-Man, Time Pilot, Scramble, Doom, Dig Dug, Ultimate MK3, Contra, Defender, New Rally-X
New: Marble Blast Ultra, Crystal Quest, Uno, Cloning Clyde, Texas Hold 'em, TotemBall, Lumines Live, Small Arms, Assault Heroes, Novadrome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HiVision said:

Like I said a few posts back, one of the most important keys will be "What is the release schedule going to be like?". Will we get the XBLA-style one or two a week, counting VC games? Will we get the PSN-style one every week or few weeks? Will XBLA-PSN games end up getting WiiWare ports? What will be the sorts of pricing going forward?

Shiggy

HiVision said:

I agree. Let's hope there'll be more interesting games like Zelda 4 Swords or Roll-o-Rama ;)

MoogPaul

I think the real question is will the releases of wiiware mesh with the VC? Are we still goint to get at least one VC title a week or will nintendo just simply say, "well, we released 2 games on wiiware this week so you guys don't need a VC title this week."?

borghe

Hunahan said:
Don't try and pretend that SSR is coming from a legacy of genre-differentiation, bro. Super Star Soldier was a standard top-down shooter series and this was merely an extra mode contained within that package offering prior to this itteration.[.quote]
I never said anything about the other SSS's.. that was you. I was talking about this game on its own.

Since you've drawn the comparison to FFVII, to me SSR is basically trying to debate whether FFVII Snowboarding is a good value to download for your mobile phone - the decision of whether an extra mode is suddenly worthy of being the main course. I say no, others say yes. C'est la vie.
Except for the fact that this style of game (time attack shooter) has a pretty damn long lineage and history behind it. Could they have added a full-fledged shmup behind it? Sure, why not. But it wasn't their intention and it wouldn't have been $8.

From the sound of it I don't think you would have been happy with the game for $5 or even $3. You wanted a full-blown shmup and that simply isn't what this is. Don't attach "bad value" to it just because you don't like the style of play (time attack). You can like it or not, but for what is is (competitive play with multiple modes and national online leaderboards) $8 seems to be about spot on.

Ponn01 said:
That's quite a leap you are trying to make there. And yes I have played Super Star Soldier.
my point was that the game accomplished exactly what it was trying to do, and there are tons of fans of this type of game. calling it a bad value or a skimpy release simply because he isn't the targeted demographic of the game comes off as whiny. that was the comparison. You will either like the time attack style of play or you won't, but comparing an $8 game based on competitive scoring to a full-fledged shmup release is no different than comparing one dissimilar game to another simply because they share common elements.

Shiggy said:
I agree. Let's hope there'll be more interesting games like Zelda 4 Swords or Roll-o-Rama ;)

Because of the way Nintendo works im sure a couple of unpredictable games will pop up eventually. When they talk about Wiiwaree they always talk about innovation, small games, big ideas and small budgets. I guess thats the way they will follow themselves

I think the real question is will the releases of wiiware mesh with the VC? Are we still goint to get at least one VC title a week or will nintendo just simply say, "well, we released 2 games on wiiware this week so you guys don't need a VC title this week."?

Wiiware release dates are set by the 3rd parties not Nintendo, so my guess is that VC will follow its own path

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/03/25/extra-content-in-my-life-as-a-king-explained/

Extra content in My Life as a King explained

By Spencer . March 25, 2008 . 4:39am

We know Namco Bandai is selling extra boards in Mojipittan Wii, but what is Square Enix charging for with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Yuuryou Service in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King?

Answer: the other races. If you want to recruit Yukes, Lilties or Selkies you have to pony up extra dough to construct a building for them. No wonder we’ve seen mostly Clavats adventurers so far! I just imagined the Leo was King of a Clavat country.

Additional costumes will be available for Leo and Chancellor Chime too like this pirate set. Square Enix has not announced final pricing for each item, but downloadable content falls between 100 – 300 Wii Points ($1 - $3) a piece. I imagine costumes will take the lower end of the sliding scale ringing in at 100 Wii Points a piece. Buildings to recruit extra races will obviously cost more. Hopefully not 300 Wii Points per race.

Top Bottom