• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
lol, I love how in the video how Iga just takes the controller and immediately starts balling. I'm surprised he still has a lot of Alucard's moves memorized.

I don't know how much mp he had, but he should have used soul steal instead of blood metamorphosis to regain his hp.

georly

I absolutely adore all of the stuff the team purposefully put into SotN for no reason whatsoever. It makes a game world feel more real than anything else.

If I ever make a game I need to remember to add touches like that. Not too many, not too few, but enough to make people notice it.

roknin

I wonder what all of this is going to lead up to.

Don't forget to cast your vote for whip.
latest

Off-topic: I miss this character. SNK please put more of the lesser-knowns in the next KoF.

On-topic: Of course I voted for whip... and this is coming from a guy that LOVES swords lol.

Parsnip

Yeah, seeing that DF Dev's Play video pop up on youtube feed was the thing that made me go: it's really happening, isn't it?

And then my brother who happened to be here today said 'why are you speaking English, and what are you talking about'.

Kirie

*slams buzzer*

"A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS!"

Ding ding ding!

Dunno if this one is new:

???: The ritual is nearly complete.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Edit2: ???:I have seen you make fools of powerful enemies. I have watched you warp through obstacles, exploit every advantage. I have watched you cheat. Good.

Edit2: ???:I have seen you make fools of powerful enemies. I have watched you warp through obstacles, exploit every advantage. I have watched you cheat. Good.

Heh, timely considering the picture of him with romscout and the mention of shield dashing in the Devs Play video. Neat that he seems rather aware of that community.

Just finished watching the Double Fine video with Iga and if it's possible I'm even more excited for Monday. Just hearing him talk about the little secrets they placed in the game and all of the developer stuff that I hadn't heard before has me excited to see how that will be implemented today. Knowing the attention to detail in SotN and how much was likely learned between the development of each game intrigues me for what is coming.
Go watch the video if you haven't, it's a great few hours.

Are we expecting the revealed game to have an old school aesthetic or more like modern pixel art?

i.e. The Last Night and Slain

I don't know WHAT to expect. The teaser site is super basic and simple and nothing to write home about. But what we have seen indies do with pixel art has really hugely raised the standard. I want to see something cool.

Just finished watching the Double Fine video with Iga and if it's possible I'm even more excited for Monday. Just hearing him talk about the little secrets they placed in the game and all of the developer stuff that I hadn't heard before has me excited to see how that will be implemented today. Knowing the attention to detail in SotN and how much was likely learned between the development of each game intrigues me for what is coming.
Go watch the video if you haven't, it's a great few hours.

What are some of the secrets? I'm mobile and am dying to watch the video.

I don't get it though, at the beginning of the Let's Play Iga says that he's still working for Artplay. So if there is a KS for a new CS type game how involved would he be if he's still working there?

I didn't watch all of the video, but do they ever talk about Super Metroid being an influence?

No, in fact it was mentioned he doesn't really like the term "Metroidvania", because they were trying to make it a Zelda game, not a Metroid game. That was on all their minds on the team, take Castlevania and add Zelda-style powerup unlocking and exploration.

georly

I didn't watch all of the video, but do they ever talk about Super Metroid being an influence?

They talk about how Zelda was actually the influence, but that he doesn't mind that people associate it with metroid, because he can see why they'd think that (as it's a 2d platformer) and metroid is a good game.

jett

D-Member
No, in fact it was mentioned he doesn't really like the term "Metroidvania", because they were trying to make it a Zelda game, not a Metroid game. That was on all their minds on the team, take Castlevania and add Zelda-style powerup unlocking and exploration.

They talk about how Zelda was actually the influence, but that he doesn't mind that people associate it with metroid, because he can see why they'd think that (as it's a 2d platformer) and metroid is a good game.

Cool, thanks.

I don't get it though, at the beginning of the Let's Play Iga says that he's still working for Artplay. So if there is a KS for a new CS type game how involved would he be if he's still working there?
Maybe he just can't say anything yet about leaving, or he'll exit after the KS is funded.

Kirie

He said in an IGN interview back when he had to put his 'dream project on hold' that:

"As a result, he’s taken a job at a mobile developer/publisher, and has struck a deal to eventually continue his project.

“It’s kind of an unusual agreement,” he told IGN. “I have a special carve-out that allows me to work with another publishing partner or find other routes to fund my dream game.”

So I'm assuming that it's not going to be a problem for him, thankfully.

georly

Any chance that double fine will be publishing, or is him being on the double fine YT page just a coincidence/avenue for the let's play?

Ainaurdur

"Heroes and villains? Perhaps. Or we are all chased by the same corruption."
"The weapon you begin with is my choice. What you end with could be yours."

Keinu

Having never played a Castlevania game before, any tips on where I should start if I want to try this series? After a lot of Bloodborne lately I need something new to keep me busy until Witcher 3 comes out. I have a PC, PS3, PS4 and Wii U.

Having never played a Castlevania game before, any tips on where I should start if I want to try this series? After a lot of Bloodborne lately I need something new to keep me busy until Witcher 3 comes out. I have a PC, PS3, PS4 and Wii U.

If you have a Vita: Symphony of the Night and Dracula X Chronicles (AKA Rondo of Blood)

If you have 3DS/DS: All three DS games

Rondo of Blood is very difficult and linear.

Symphony of the Night on PS3
Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow on Wii U. There's Harmony of Dissonance too if you want to play that but I think that game is pretty bleh

Keinu

I just saw a bit of Igarashi plays and Symphony of the Night looked pretty interesting. Since I don't have a DS/3DS it seems the logical choice. Thanks.

For Classic Castlevania, my top recommendations for those platforms are Rondo of Blood on Wii VC, Castlevania Chronicles (a pseudo-remake of the first game) on PSN, and Castlevania 3 on Wii VC... and it might also be on Wii U VC.

For Metroidvania, there's Symphony of the Night on PSN, and Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow on Wii U VC. I believe Harmony of Dissonance is also available, but I don't like it quite as much.

To start, I think Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night are best.

Xater

If you want to know what this new game will be like and play one of the best games of all time just pick up Symphony of the Night.

I have so many fond memories of SOTN. After beating it multiple times, I ended up doing a run through where I collected one of every item in the game and made sure to slay each monster. I wanted everything filled in the options menu. Then I spent a couple days just going through and reading all the flavor text for each item and monster entry. I wish I still had that save. I'm gonna have to go back and do that again. So much love went into that game from both the original Japanese devs and the translation team.

I have so many fond memories of SOTN. After beating it multiple times, I ended up doing a run through where I collected one of every item in the game and made sure to slay each monster. I wanted everything filled in the options menu. Then I spent a couple days just going through and reading all the flavor text for each item and monster entry. I wish I still had that save. I'm gonna have to go back and do that again. So much love went into that game from both the original Japanese devs and the translation team.
100% item runs are pretty damn sweet. It's amazing how some of the rare weapons can be creative

Fuck the Crissaegrim, Fist of Tulkas for life

Kirie

Sword or Whip ‏@SwordOrWhip 3 minutes ago
All who have been crafting adventures in my absence: Join us.

All who have adventured in my absence: Join us.

Nbz

KINDA FUNNY ARE INVOLVED? I'm so interested to see what is going down on Monday, holy crap

Foffy

Banned

Wow, that's quite a long event. I imagine it will end with the projects reveal? I don't want another goddamn tease.

Jigorath

Banned

Symphony of the Night
Super Castlevania 4
Order of Ecclesia

These are the must-plays of the series. You should be able to play Symphony of the Night on the PS3. If you have a Wii you can get Super Castlevania 4 on the Virtual Console. Order of Ecclesia is only on DS.

Instro

Well if nothing else they have built up quite a marketing campaign behind this. Hope the kickstarter does well, if it is actually a crowdfund game.

Kirie

Wow, that's quite a long event. I imagine it will end with the projects reveal? I don't want another goddamn tease.

I would think they would reveal it off the bat.. not too sure they could talk for that long about Iga's past games, but I could be entirely wrong xD;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom