• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Obsidian do a new Fallout?

tuxfool

Banned
I enjoyed Fallout 4 due to the much improved gunplay but even more so than Fallout 3 it reduced the quest branching to almost nil. Most quests have to resolved with violence whereas New Vegas takes into account all of your different skills and stats and lets you solve quests in a huge variety of ways, often without taking your weapons out. It's really apparent playing them back to back how much more thought was put into New Vegas and how simplistic 4 is in comparison.

I wish people would stop posting that flow chart.

:'(

Kolx

Bethesda literally pretends certain milestones during development aren't met so they can halt payments to make companies go...almost bankrupt. Then they offer to buy the developer for a song and a dance.

They are absolute scumbacks, educate yourself before you rush to Beths defence.

If you read my replies you would have known that I already acknowledge Bethesda doing some shitty stuff in their past. My post is about Bethesda&Obsidian situation. NV took 18 months to develop so did Bethesda halt some funds from Obsidian which affected Obsidian financially? All what I hear here is about the bonus thing which is not that big.

tuxfool

Banned
All of the reviews? Also, in general Bethesda Fallout is more well received by the public.

Great and all. I don't agree, but here you seem to allying yourself to the great unwashed masses rather than GAF.

Now, people here aren't the ultimate arbiters of quality, but neither are the unwashed masses.

Maltaze

Neo Member
personally would love it. Fallout: NV remains my favourite in the entire series so far. Was well-designed and fulfilling even if it was a bit cheesy towards the end.

RootCause

How is it odd? I have Windows 10 and had more problems running 3 than I ever did New Vegas. And yes I tried about everything possible before just refunding 3 and staying content with the 360 GOTY version.
Perhaps it was the way it was worded, but It reads as the usual Bethesda vs oblivion thing. Which quite frankly, I don't care for.

I don't really think Obsidian could fully leverage their strengths when creating an "AAA", voiced PC, reduced-dialogue game.

Eh?

header.jpg

I feel people are intentionally forgetting this gem when talking about FO4's dialog system - It's not the system FO4 got wrong, it was execution.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol@ this thread

New Vegas is obviously a better game than 3. That is unless the only thing you want out of a game is going from place to place and going "oh boy that was zany. I wonder how zany the next place will be?" *enter hours of subway tunnel crawling*

tuxfool

Banned
Eh?

header.jpg

I feel people are intentionally forgetting this gem when talking about FO4's dialog system - It's not the system FO4 got wrong, it was execution.

Absolutely, but AP is a different kind of game. For starters it isn't a freeform open world RPG. Their tone based choice system only works well in a more "linearly" restricted narrative.

lol@ this thread

New Vegas is obviously a better game than 3. That is unless the only thing you want out of a game is going from place to place and going "oh boy that was zany. I wonder how zany the next place will be?" *enter hours of subway tunnel crawling*

Well, the person in this thread really carrying that flag is Todd Howard.

Bricky

Bethesda might be salty how Obsidian took their game and did a better job than they did. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case since the Bethesda team is so small. But who knows. Probably not.

I doubt it, and not just because that'd be a bit pathetic. Bethesda's take on Fallout differs from Obsidian's. Obsidian didn't really make a better 'Bethesda' Fallout even though they used Fallout 3 as a foundation. Their priorities are in completely different places.

Besides, Bethesda wasn't the one that created the IP.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Lol. Obsidian founders made Fallout 1 and 2.

It's been said many times but bears repeating, Bethesda Fallout only shares the same universe. The games are quite obviously different beasts.

So, I take it that you dislike the sprinting, grenade button, V.A.N.S., slo-mo V.A.T.S. and the building mechanics in Fallout 4, too, right? Those were also all in some of the most popular New Vegas (and in some cases Fallout 3) mods out there.

That's not what they said.

How is it odd? I have Windows 10 and had more problems running 3 than I ever did New Vegas. And yes I tried about everything possible before just refunding 3 and staying content with the 360 GOTY version.

Recently reinstalled 3 and New Vegas on 10. Works perfectly. Perhaps the issue is on YOUR end?

All of the reviews? That's hilarious. Many people preferred New Vegas over Fallout 3. Impossible to say whether it was the majority.

You're using the same argument the previous guy is.

My original post was responding to some bozo saying that new Vegas was poorly received, which is subjectively false.

That doesn't mean what you think it does.

lol@ this thread

Eh, yeah, THIS right here is Bethesda's big world-building problem - Almost all their "memorable" locations are based on gimmicks. The Pillars of the Community, the Church of Atom, Cabot House, Covenant... Bethesda tried a bit too hard to make the tone of various places unique, and they all come out rather hollow from it.

Also, on another note - Anyone rather annoyed by the amount of Slapstick in FO3 and 4? I'm not sure where exactly, but I remember a FO1/2 dev (Forgot who exactly) who stated that the Golden Concrete Do Not Break Rule of humor in Fallout is "Black Comedy only, NO 50's slapstick."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No way in Heaven Bethesda Softworks would allow that to happen. They invested a lot into a voiced PC and made a really big deal out of it.

What a strange decision that was... I've played 40 hours and I think I'm nearing the end of the game, but they completely squandered any advantage that a voiced protagonist can bring. It really adds nothing to the game in my opinion.

Also, on another note - Anyone rather annoyed by the amount of Slapstick in FO3 and 4? I'm not sure where exactly, but I remember a FO1/2 dev (Forgot who exactly) who stated that the Golden Concrete Do Not Break Rule of humor in Fallout is "Black Comedy only, NO 50's slapstick."

Bethesda's vision for Fallout is obviously very different than that of the old games. They lean heavily into slapstick, goofiness, and the cartoon factor. I'm not a fan of it personally, and vastly prefer the tone of the original two games, but there's no point in complaining about it now. Bethesda has found incredible success with their version.

Eh, yeah, THIS right here is Bethesda's big world-building problem - Almost all their "memorable" locations are based on gimmicks. The Pillars of the Community, the Church of Atom, Cabot House, Covenant... Bethesda tried a bit too hard to make the tone of various places unique, and they all come out rather hollow from it.

Bethesda shat on Fallout's lore. What makes you think they will not shit on any other stuff that Black Isle/Interplay made/said?

lol@ this thread

Saints Row Syndrome. Focus on "wacky" humour and too much power fantasy.

Krakn3Dfx

New Vegas was a more fitting sequel to Fallout 2 than 3 could ever hope to be. I love Fallout 4, but the dialogue system alone makes it sub par to New Vegas as a Fallout title. I'd love to see Obsidian get a chance to make another Fallout game in that vein.

Edit: Also, it looks like several Obsidian guys attended the Fallout 4 launch party, hopefully that means no bridges were burned permanently.

At this point i don't even want them to make a new one since it would be on the shitty engine again but if Bethesda wants to get their ass whopped one more time i'm certainly in.

I wish people would stop posting that flow chart.

:'(
Why? Even if every quest in the game isn't quite as open ended it shows the general design philosophy differences between the two developers. I mean, almost every quest in Fallout 4 has no branching at all :/

kswiston

They don't want to be embarrassed again by superior writing and RPG mechanics.

They don't give a shit. Superior writing and RPG mechanics didn't put Skyrim (and soon Fallout 4) into the 20M+ copies club. It's pretty clear that the veteran CRPG audience is not their target demo.

Arulan

This is such utter bullshit.

I've responded to your absurd "standing on the shoulder of giants" argument in other threads, but I've yet to see anything but fallacies and statements lacking any form of constructive argument from you. In this thread alone you've stated how Fallout 3 is a success in world-building, in building a cohesive world, yet provide no evidence to support it when this is one of the largest criticisms of Fallout 3, and one of Fallout: New Vegas' greatest accomplishments.

We are talking about the same logical and cohesive world that includes a city built around a nuclear bomb, a town run by children, a society of vampires, invincible NPCs, lack of agriculture or means of survival for its inhabitants, that inescapable moment you realize 200 years after the bombs fell isn't a misprint, and "I don't want to rob you of your destiny"? The numerous alterations to the established lore including Super Mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel turned into an order of holy-knights, protectors of civilization, and Jet. The world is filled like a theme park would be, nothing but "Wouldn't it be cool if..." motivation for design decisions, and as a result every settlement and area is entirely disconnected from the rest of the world, existing in their own bubble of reality. These qualities do not support world-building, and frankly I think you're mistakenly using the wrong term.

I could go on about how the themes of the game appear to be ripped from Fallout and Fallout 2 without any consideration, almost as if superficial recognition was all they were aiming for in bringing Fallout to a new audience. How the overstated Karma system, with no other systems to back it up (Reputation) focused everything through a lens of either black or white. The simplification to skill checks and character interaction with the world, this being the hallmark feature of Fallout and Fallout 2.

For everything I failed to cover, Vault Dweller's excellent Fallout 3 review and MrBongue's video are good places to start.

tuxfool

Banned
Why? Even if every quest in the game isn't quite as open ended it shows the general design philosophy differences between the two developers. I mean, almost every quest in Fallout 4 has no branching at all :/

Because it reminds me of what FO4 is not or FO will ever be again. Because even with the structurally simple quest structure in FO4 we get Kid in a Fridge type quests.

LegendX48

I certainly hope so, I want a real Fallout this gen. 4 is an alright, watered down, clunky action game, but it's not Fallout >.>

Acerac

Banned
I feel horrible about all the people saying Metacritic doesn't matter and nobody seriously uses it as a metric.

It legit makes me sad in this context.

tuxfool

Banned
They don't give a shit. Superior writing and RPG mechanics didn't put Skyrim (and soon Fallout 4) into the 20M+ copies club. It's pretty clear that the veteran CRPG audience is not their target demo.

it isn't a CRPG audience that exclusively likes good RPGs, good writing or reactive questing.

With TES lore they could tell such great stories, but never do.

Top Bottom