• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Obsidian do a new Fallout?

antitrop

Derrick's evolution as a pessimistic gamer would have had him grouping Obsidian in his shit pile (ie the large majority of the gaming industry) by now.
He still posts on the Steam forums, I should see what he had to say about Pillars of Eternity.

Composer

I don't really know what else Bethesda did for Fallout 3 except write a story and make a bunch of 3D Fallout assets, Fallout lore was already well developed at that point and F3 isn't that far removed from Oblivion in terms of engine and gameplay mechanics.

Is this a joke response?

Vamphuntr

I doubt it. They haven't released any big games in a long time and all the projects they had with big publishers like MS got canned. It seems to hint they can't handle very big projects right now.

Empty

i don't think there's any indications so, but i don't really understand the business case not to do it. it will be years till the next fallout game as bethesda make a vast elder scrolls and then a vast fallout 5 and it's a hugely popular franchise. why not. it's not diminishing the franchise by making regular entries as it'll still be a franchise that's every three or so years - compared to everything else which is yearly.

then it kinda has to be obsidian as the only other studios with pedigree and expertise in this style of game are like owned by ea or have their own popular ip (projeckt red). then metacritic situation aside, new vegas was broadly well received and true to the vision, if not as popular as the numbered entries outside of rpg enthusiasts. it's not like obsidian are going to reject a regular paycheck and the chance to make an rpg for a ten million + audience.

Az987

all good things
I see it more as Zenimax pretty much only puts out in house developed triple A games now and that's why it won't happen.

Alchemy

I hope they don't unless they completely revert the shitty VO/conversation crap. Otherwise it will be a total waste.

Because it reminds me of what FO4 is not or FO will ever be again. Because even with the structurally simple quest structure in FO4 we get Kid in a Fridge type quests.
It is upsetting but I think it's useful to point out to Bethesda zealots one of the big reasons why so many people are disappointed in their entries in the series.

And I missed that quest in FO4, lol.

tuxfool

Banned
I see it more as Zenimax pretty much only puts out in house developed triple A games now and that's why it won't happen.

That is because external studios have gotten wise to their predation (not that many in the wild still exist).

tuxfool

Banned
It is upsetting but I think it's useful to point out to Bethesda zealots one of the big reasons why so many people are disappointed in their entries in the series.

And I missed that quest in FO4, lol.

True. I was just being melodramatic, and because it always shows up, without fail.

Be happy you missed that quest, it is a bucket of stupid.

dlauv

If they did New Vegas in 18 months with/because of Gamebryo/working with pre-existing systems, then I think it's totally feasible to see a fully-voiced spin-off in three years.

But like others have said, it's probably not going to happen due to prior and more financially rewarding obligations.

Obsidian have always been better at choice and consequence and dialogue. I'm more of a fan of an engaging world than a meticulously emptier one though (FO4 vs NV). It's not a huge deal, but I hope they'd improve on that front. I prefer gameplay content over realism pretense, especially when it yields diminishing returns when you begin fast-traveling to and fro anyway, and New Vegas ended too quickly because of it for me. In fact, the first couple of empty hours of FO4's map were worse for that reason. But then again, I'm not really the kind of person so jaded about the current state of bombastic/vapid video games so as to wank all over the artistic choices in Shadow of the Colossus for example. I have a needy lizard brain. I have no doubts that Obsidian would add better uniques (Bethesda made me frown some here for sure) and an even more satisfying level of modding and a way more wholesome RP experience overall.

I'd be happy even with an Obsidian-made DLC guest-expansion of FO4 on the scale of, say, W3's Hearts of Stone even (worst-case scenario).

tbd

Sure hope so. Need a Fallout this generation that is not a battlefield fucking everywhere, even in the "main city" (Diamond City) that should be the opposite of that, less glitchy sims bullshit, 20 FPS performance with a 980 Ti, nine out of ten the quests being fucking terrible, stupid, childish writing and loading times that make the game almost unplayable. This game makes me fucking mad here. "Won't someone please think of the poor robots and their feelings." Holy shit. And never was the Brotherhood this intrusively stupid; they want to take away technology from others because they'd abuse it and harm the world. They do this by bombing the whole place with mini nukes, laser weapons and floating in the sky with their fancy ship forever which has exhaust emissions of 200.000 VW cars.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've responded to your absurd "standing on the shoulder of giants" argument in other threads, but I've yet to see anything but fallacies and statements lacking any form of constructive argument from you. In this thread alone you've stated how Fallout 3 is a success in world-building, in building a cohesive world, yet provide no evidence to support it when this is one of the largest criticisms of Fallout 3, and one of Fallout: New Vegas' greatest accomplishments.

We are talking about the same logical and cohesive world that includes a city built around a nuclear bomb, a town run by children, a society of vampires, invincible NPCs, lack of agriculture or means of survival for its inhabitants, that inescapable moment you realize 200 years after the bombs fell isn't a misprint, and "I don't want to rob you of your destiny"? The numerous alterations to the established lore including Super Mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel turned into an order of holy-knights, protectors of civilization, and Jet. The world is filled like a theme park would be, nothing but "Wouldn't it be cool if..." motivation for design decisions, and as a result every settlement and area is entirely disconnected from the rest of the world, existing in their own bubble of reality. These qualities do not support world-building, and frankly I think you're mistakenly using the wrong term.

I could go on about how the themes of the game appear to be ripped from Fallout and Fallout 2 without any consideration, almost as if superficial recognition was all they were aiming for in bringing Fallout to a new audience. How the overstated Karma system, with no other systems to back it up (Reputation) focused everything through a lens of either black or white. The simplification to skill checks and character interaction with the world, this being the hallmark feature of Fallout and Fallout 2.

For everything I failed to cover, Vault Dweller's excellent Fallout 3 review and MrBongue's video are good places to start.

Good post!

I think I'm gonna go back and play a bit of Fallout 2. The whole game is great, but I particularly love the opening hours.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
More emphasis on dark/subtle humour through its dialogue, didn't rely almost exclusively on zaniness.

Suggesting Fallout 3 did which is absolute nonsense.

Good post!

I think I'm gonna go back and play a bit of Fallout 2. The whole game is great, but I particularly love the opening hours.

I fail to understand how Fallout 3 being flawed all of a sudden means New Vegas isn't. I also laughed at New Vegas having such a "free form" story that it's impossible to tell where the story begins and ends. . .which is utter fucking nonsense.

SoCoRoBo

We were unbelievably lucky to get New Vegas, then get 4 DLCs that are together as good as the base game and add so much to it.

I'd honestly settle for Obsidian working on major DLC for FO4.

While I'd love something similar to New Vegas, I'm not sure we'll get it, so I'd rather aim for something more realistic and hope they can be contracted to work on the DLC.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Eh? See the post above yours.

What does "almost exclusively" mean to you? To me it suggests that the majority of the game trades on Quality X as to be nearly defined by it. What was zany about Paradise Falls, Nipton or Harkness exactly?

They don't necessarily have to do a Fallout game to make a post apocalyptic RPG guys. The original Fallout after all was a spiritual successor to Wasteland because Interplay couldn't get the license from EA.

Hell, why not that? Obsidian could help out with the next Wasteland. It would probably be a pretty well done, narrative driven traditional cRPG like Pillars of Eternity.

But if I could be real with y'all, my dream would be for Obsidian to do a Mass Effect spinoff or some sort of space opera RPG in the same vein that the original Mass Effect concept. To explore strange new worlds, to boldly go where no man has gone before *cues up Star Trek TNG theme*.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They don't necessarily have to do a Fallout game to make a post apocalyptic RPG guys. The original Fallout after all was a spiritual successor to Wasteland because Interplay couldn't get the license from EA.

Hell, why not that? Obsidian could help out with the next Wasteland. It would probably be a pretty well done, narrative driven traditional cRPG like Pillars of Eternity.

But if I could be real with y'all, my dream would be for Obsidian to do a Mass Effect spinoff or some sort of space opera RPG in the same vein that the original Mass Effect concept. To explore strange new worlds, to boldly go where no man has gone before *cues up Star Trek TNG theme*.

Was the new Wasteland game not well received? I thought it was?

Waiting until I buy my Surface Book to play it, but I was under the impression it was created to fill the void left by Wasteland and Fallout 1-2. Did it not succeed?

Eh?

header.jpg

I feel people are intentionally forgetting this gem when talking about FO4's dialog system - It's not the system FO4 got wrong, it was execution.

Yeah, this is a Fallout 4 voice system that seems like an actual RPG, Obsidian did it second (Mass Effect) and better than Bethesda.

Lunar15

Obsidian just needs to make a new series where the apocalypse is based on the 80's instead of the 50's idea of sci-fi, then set it in post-nuclear South Florida. We'll call it Atomic Nights: Miami. Radioactive swamps in the everglades, neon city streets, maybe even some boating through the raider tribes in the keys.

My understanding is that Obsidian was pretty burned by the whole metacritic bonus thing.

Obsidian doesn't turn down work. I think they would do another Fallout game in a heartbeat if offered. Also, they did work with Bethesda on two projects after FO:NV (an attempt to revive Prey 2 and a new IP I believe).

I doubt it. They haven't released any big games in a long time and all the projects they had with big publishers like MS got canned. It seems to hint they can't handle very big projects right now.

I believe they said the that MS-canned game is now alive again with a new publisher and should be announced in the coming months.

Sou Da

Obsidian just needs to make a new series where the apocalypse is based on the 80's instead of the 50's idea of sci-fi, then set it in post-nuclear South Florida. We'll call it Atomic Nights: Miami. Radioactive swamps in the everglades, neon city streets, maybe even some boating through the raider tribes in the keys.

I just want a Fountain of Dreams sequel, I don't care who does it.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah, this is a Fallout 4 voice system that seems like an actual RPG, Obsidian did it second (Mass Effect) and better than Bethesda.

People keep bringing up the AP and ME converstation systems as if they were similar. They are not. ME used its wheel as a shorthand for text and to organise the type of dialog option (i.e. positive negative, inquiries etc.), it is about what you directly say. AP is more about the tone of your response not what you directly say.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I fail to understand how Fallout 3 being flawed all of a sudden means New Vegas isn't. I also laughed at New Vegas having such a "free form" story that it's impossible to tell where the story begins and ends. . .which is utter fucking nonsense.

New Vegas suffers from plenty of the same issues, but I found it much more engrossing, personally. It's not the same as the old games, for sure, but I'd put it in the "less flawed" camp compared to Fallout 3.

I might come too late to the thread, but actually i asked the guys from Obsidian in an interview a month ago (late october). Was there because we talked about Armored Warfare and at some point of an hour or so interview i wanted to know what their next game will be afterwards.

They were extremly open to the question (which is wierd in this industry) and they said they talked with Bethesda because they would love to do it, but Bethesda said no till now.

You might wanna add that to the first post, OP.

danm999

Yeah I'd love another Fallout from Oblivion. They're vastly superior role playing experiences than the East Coast Fallout games.

Waiting until I buy my Surface Book to play it, but I was under the impression it was created to fill the void left by Wasteland and Fallout 1-2. Did it not succeed?

Old-school CRPG types seemed to like it well enough. I don't know whether it pulled many new fans, and I have no idea about the sales.

sappyday

Yes I wish they would do it but I doubt Bethesda would allow them to cut the main character voice acting and go back to the old dialogue system.

The only other two companies that I can think of that can work with Fallout 4's new systems and have it be good is CDPR or BioWare. The former is a lot better but at least BioWare's writing isn't as bad as Bethesda's.

Oh it was received very well and I thought it was a great game. I'm just saying that Obsidian could do Wasteland 3 or their own spiritual successor to Fallout. Say instead of a retro-future 50's style, they could do an Post-Apocalyptic scenario that was typical of 1970's sci-fi and build upon that. There's nothing specific about the Fallout Universe that absolutely requires that you set a game there IMO.

Also, I thought the Black Isle/Obsidian Fallout Trilogy (1, 2, New Vegas) have pretty much told the story of the West Coast wastes to a satisfactory conclusion.

City 17

Bethesda Fallout is where it is at.

Also, the whole yearly/biyearly release with alternating team things sucks. See CoD and AC.

New Vegas felt like a mod compilation with a new questline.

Fallout 3 felt like a tech demo for the final game that was New Vegas.

I would buy it, if they did the next game. Would really love to see them do a Fallout: London, see how the other side of the world deals with the world, after the bombs drop.

TaterTots

Banned
As much as I like Obsidian, I can do without another FO from them. I did not enjoy NV and remember quite a bit of critics and players saying the game was mediocre. I'm not sure what happened between now and then that changed everyone's opinions.

Top Bottom