• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will robots take my job?

Fat4all

Banned
I got a relatively safe, good job and I didn't go to college

Heck yeah, winning until I die of fat!

Time to celebrate with cheese

Web Developer is 21%. I'll enjoy this ride as long as I can.

Any job that is really repetitive, requires little imagination, etc will be replaced first. In time the 1% and lower jobs will be replaced.

We'll all be dead by then, though.

YAY!

Then I click on computer programmers: 48%... well, nice knowing you, programmers.
I'll be busy fixing the networks for your replacement robotic overlords.

3% is not much. Anything done on the computer can be simplified greatly over time causing layoffs. The part that keeps it at 3% is the actual physical work being done but even then that will be cut down greatly.

The only jobs that will live on for a long ass time as those requiring human oversight like doctors, police, etc. Most other professions will exist but the workforce will be greatly reduced. This isn't happening anytime soon but that's the future.

Compositing Supervisor doesn't even come up, nor does anything visual effects related.

Am I safe? :eek: Well our jobs are being 'automated' to India.

MarkusRJR

Fuck as someone going into computer science, seeing almost a 50% chance of having my potential job be in jeopardy is scary...

Wonder if specializing in something would help, but I have no idea what...

R&R

Not really trusting all the info...some professions seem to be projected way too low percentage for automation, while some that are getting 97-98 are more likely to be automation assisted than fully automated.

As for myself, I got 3%...but surely it must be higher. I would say in general on the administrative side the big question is not so much full automation, but how much more the computer assisted area will eat into the already automation-dimished numbers. Also, dont count on your job being necessarily safe(r) in the management side either...

YAY!

Then I click on computer programmers: 48%... well, nice knowing you, programmers.

Computer Programmers under their definition write things like unit tests and basic code/scripting.

Software Developer, Applications is the real career for most of us. 4% chance of automation.

Nydius

3% is not much. Anything done on the computer can be simplified greatly over time causing layoffs. The part that keeps it at 3% is the actual physical work being done but even then that will be cut down greatly.

The only jobs that will live on for a long ass time as those requiring human oversight like doctors, police, etc. Most other professions will exist but the workforce will be greatly reduced. This isn't happening anytime soon but that's the future.

Believe me, I know this all too well. I've had a running not-so-joke that as a Network Engineer and Administrator my end goal is to ultimately put myself out of a job. I started working in the field before we had things like drive ghosting, unattended and network installs, and so on. Each iteration of new server and workstation OS software streamlines deployment and administration functions further. Eventually, the only thing the engineers will be needed for is running the cables and physically installing the hardware.

Whee, a future of plenum grade cable wiring! (Hands off my wires, electricians!)

pagrab

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

There's a 0.78% chance that my job as a philosophy teacher will be at risk.

And everyone in my entire life including myself said that philosophy was a dead-end career. pff. Take that, i'm future proof!

Now, to find a job.
-
How about you, GAF? How dependant on UBI will you be?

Weird. Hod did you search to get this result? I tried to put in philosophy and it did not show me any results...

Apt101

I had to search a number of roles as no single one seemed to fit my job exactly, but they were all less than 2%.

Spare a moment for these poor souls...

94%
Couriers and Messengers
"You are doomed"

Well fuck I feel for that sector.

CEO, sales manager, design director, project manager, marketing, technical lead etc that I wear a number of these hats day by day all have very low automation ability. That feels good to know. You always have to laugh how entrepreneurs are always outside of these sorts of stats/analysis.

CB1sZek.png

Glad I switch my major from accounting Jesus.

Snap, though I'm only doing it for another month. Hopefully going into writing and that has a rate of 3.8-88%

60% for correctional officers. I doubt this will happen within my time.

How would an AI deal with a suicidal inmate?
How would an AI deal with mentally challenged inmates who are unpredictable?
How would an AI react if an inmate says they have been raped?

Corrections is more than simply turning a key. Communication is the most important aspect of it and you need a human touch for that. Can I see it becoming more automated? Yes of course, but you'll always need people.

Fat4all

Banned

Corrections is more than simply turning a key. Communication is the most important aspect of it and you need a human touch for that. Can I see it becoming more automated? Yes of course, but you'll always need people.

My dad worked at dozens of FCI's up and down the east coast while he was climbing the ranks.

He had some stories to tell.

Dunno how robots would of handled most of them.

Laser eyes maybe.

Well, no... eventually AI will be able to communicate and empathize better than humans.

but yeah, not soon.

Hylian7

YAY!

That one made me raise an eyebrow... Someone has to write the software for the robots in the first place, and even then you bet there will be issues that will need humans to see to.

Zenner

I was quite surprised at the high automation number for Actors.

This job has Automation Risk Level: Start worrying. (or 37% probability of automation)

Projected growth for Actors is 10% by 2024

The median annual wage for Actors is $* or $18.70 per hour.

As of 2016 48,620 people are employed as Actors.

There are more bad correctional officers than good ones I'd wager. I'd rather have a robot actually look at my medical injuries instead of just throwing me back in with the population.

I'm not saying you are one of them.

I can see a future where a chef is a planner who send robots to execute ideas.

Or designs the template dishes for the robots to replicate and produce.

This is definitely how it'll end up being but there's a certain element of chaos in plating high-end restaurant food. The robot will reproduce plates perfectly every time but it's often the little imperfections that give individual plates their charm.

Of course customers that aren't foodies or food critics probably won't notice/care.

I feel like the costs would be prohibitively expensive for a while. Unless they're like perfect humanoids every high-end kitchen in America would have to be redesigned from the ground up for that level of automation.

Trace

Banned
Application Software Developer: 4.2%

Computer Programmer: 48%

Wut.

Also nothing related to video game development on there :(

Application Software Developer: 4.2%

Computer Programmer: 48%

Wut.

Basic programming is already heavily automated. 90% of the work that existed in the 80's is handled by compilers, linkers, and standard libraries. The logic seems to be that beyond a certain point, rather than feeding pseudo-code to a junior programmer who's going to convert it into C++/Java which a compiler will then convert into assembly and an assembler will then convert into binaries, you're going to also automate away that second step and just feed pseudo-code straight to a "programmer" utility.

Top Bottom