• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will robots take my job?

Network and Systems Administration
3%

Blessed are those that serve the machine, for the machine provides.

Prepare for us to be off-shored instead! YAY!!!

As someone who's had their position offshored twice with two different companies, I'll say at least in the Atlanta area, there is no lack of need for admins.
One thing I can say about living in this metro during this prolonged tech boom, I feel super secure.

Rktk

cJOSUAO.png

Raven117

3.5%. Whew! I'm good.

lawyer...lawyers are so exceedingly human (especially if you do "Real work" it would be incredible difficult to automate

Weebos

Banned
89% lol.

89% for technical writers?

I doubt that. I'm pretty sure you can't make a machine read a developer's mind, figure out what they're trying to say, and then translate that into layman's terms in a way that also fits the random quirks that your company/boss may want to apply.

Boss: Hey, can you change every instance of "customer" to "client" in all of our documents?
Robot: Done.
Boss: Cool. Now can you fix the look of these boxes? I don't like how they look.
Robot: Fix how?
Boss: They look a little too "poppy" to me.
Robot: Fuck this.

Yeah, feels a little high. A lot of the job could be automated, but there is enough that can't.

Auctopus

The "Robots are watching" square is excellent.

I'm genuinely surprised mine is at 3%, I've thought many times how a chatbot could do many parts of my job.

Cagey

Banned
There's plenty of work to automate for attorneys.

Litigation? Why have overpaid, overprivileged, incompetent first or second years take in $180K to mess up document review? Why would companies agree to pay $600/hour in billing for these dopes to "work" on their cases?

Corporate-side? Replace document review with contract review.

Daria

Construction manager, 7.1% of being taken over so totally safe.

This will be one of those jobs where automation is possible in certain areas but as a whole so much is dealing with changes in circumstances you need somebody who can do critical thought and put a/b together to come up with new plans on the spot. Until we have AI with human level thinking this isn't a worry.

The flagship state uni here has a recognized CM program and i always wondered why somebody would major in this without any construction work experience. Is this the case for your area? My only guess is that the programs are geared specifically toward the business aspect instead of the trade.

3.5%. Whew! I'm good.

lawyer...lawyers are so exceedingly human (especially if you do "Real work" it would be incredible difficult to automate

is the market still over saturated with law graduates and minimal jobs?

Zakalwe

Banned
Web Developer 21%
Graphic Designer 8.2%

Good chance I'll be fine.

89% for technical writers?

I doubt that. I'm pretty sure you can't make a machine read a developer's mind, figure out what they're trying to say, and then translate that into layman's terms in a way that also fits the random quirks that your company/boss may want to apply.

Boss: Hey, can you change every instance of "customer" to "client" in all of our documents?
Robot: Done.
Boss: Cool. Now can you fix the look of these boxes? I don't like how they look.
Robot: Fix how?
Boss: They look a little too "poppy" to me.
Robot: Fuck this.

"Too poppy". This gives me a bad reaction.

JeTmAn81

Wildly varying results for software developer - applications, web developer, and computer programmer, all of which I could be considered. The values go from 4% chance to 20% chance to 48% chance, respectively. I wouldn't say it's very high for anyone with programming skills.

ElFly

Wildly varying results for software developer - applications, web developer, and computer programmer, all of which I could be considered. The values go from 4% chance to 20% chance to 48% chance, respectively. I wouldn't say it's very high for anyone with programming skills.

I assume they consider the actual act of writing and testing code will be automated, but it will still need a human for the design, so the programmer could get automated, but the "developer" not

still, computers learning to code is a strong prediction which I am not sure will happen without full ai, and most that would happen is that programmers would have to learn a new tool to generate code...which is nothing new

Makai

The weird thing is they project growth for the position in 2024. So does that mean the robots are over a decade away? How exactly is the % calculated?
Most of the numbers come from BLS, who project growth. A completely separate institution supplied the automation estimate.

94% for paralegals(me) and legal assistants

I wasn't seeing this as a job that I want to do the rest of my life. I've been trying to iron out the details on going back to school to apply to graduate school in the medical field for a long term goal (absolutely no intention to apply to law school)

dpunk3

Seems like most things involving a Bachelor's Degree or lower are at risk of being automated. Things requiring a PhD are almost always in the "No worries" or "Totally safe" category.

Theonik

The weird thing is they project growth for the position in 2024. So does that mean the robots are over a decade away? How exactly is the % calculated?
Growth doesn't tell you the whole story. Fields that fall behind become less employable even if the industry as a whole grows. Think of it this way. You have 3 accountants today and 2 jobs, by 2024 you might have 3 jobs but 6 accountants competing for those jobs.

Also That is in part because automation makes accountants more productive that doesn't mean jobs are eliminated but what it means is that growth slows down. It's the same thing happening in fastfood. No-one is being fired, positions are simply not growing/replaced at the same rate as before!

JZA

I'd like to see a robot auditor write an audit program from scratch to respond to a whistleblower report. Really curious how they came up with these figures.

Snagret

As a current BSN student to become a RN, I only have a 0.9% chance of automation.
It's honestly (a minor) part of why I'm going in to nursing. There will be a need for lots of humans in the medical field until robots are basically indistinguishable from people, at which point I'm sure I'll be dead and society will have quite a few other problems going on than just jobs being taken away.

Biske

One thing that gets over looked in these threads, what good is keeping your job if most people lose theirs, you have no customers. Who will buy your shit

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The sooner robots run this joint and I can have a full day of gaming and sleeping like I did back when I was a wee one, the better.
8.2 for Graphic Designers. I'll take those odds.

One thing that gets over looked in these threads, what good is keeping your job if most people lose theirs, you have no customers. Who will buy your shit

That depends entirely on your industry. If you're a customer facing job, perhaps. B2B, Government, or Military is probably not going anywhere.

Vidiot

I got a 67% chance but with the way my company moves with new technology I'll be long retired before that happens.

Top Bottom