• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony make a Playstation Home like experience for the PS5, now that VR will be a major part of next generation?

Alucardx23

I always liked the idea of PS Home and the virtual environment it had, where you could meet other gamers and friends. I will share a couple of trailers of other VR apps where Sony can take inspiration from, to make a VR version of PS Home. If you haven't tried VR yet, I cannot stress enough the sensation of presence that it can give you. You really do feel like you are really there on all of the videos you will see below.

1-
If you are going to play a Playstation 1 game, why just Emulate the game? With VR you can emulate the experience of interacting with the console itself on a space decorated in a 90s theme. Imagine playing a match of Crash Team Racing with your friends in an environment like the one below.

EmuVR

2- VR can easily recreate the visual and auditory experience of going into an Arcade and challenge all the people there, just like we used to do when arcades were alive.

Retro Arcade (VR)

3- Social Spaces where people could see the new game trailers, movies and play games together. The virtual spaces could be decorated based on the theme of the game you are playing or a general decoration based on all of your favorite games. Developers could make game announcement and create virtual environments to interact directly with the gamers. Social spaces where you could talk with other gamers. There is nothing stopping Sony from making a VR event like E3, where they have conferences that everyone can go to and with cloud gaming allow people to play game demos.

AltSpace VR

Bigscreen VR 4 player splitscreen

VRChat

Oculus Venues

I'm sure there is a lot more that can be done, but this is a good place to start the thread.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I always liked the idea of PS Home and the virtual environment it had, where you could meet other gamers and friends. I will share a couple of trailers of other VR apps where Sony can take inspiration from, to make a VR version of PS Home. If you haven't tried VR yet, I cannot stress enough the sensation of presence that it can give you. You really do feel like you are really there on all of the videos you will see below.

1-
If you are going to play a Playstation 1 game, why just Emulate the game? With VR you can emulate the experience of interacting with the console itself on a space decorated in a 90s theme. Imagine playing a match of Crash Team Racing with your friends in an environment like the one below.

EmuVR

2- VR can easily recreate the visual and auditory experience of going into an Arcade and challenge all the people there, just like we used to do when arcades were alive.

Retro Arcade (VR)

3- Social Spaces where people could see the new game trailers, movies and play games together. The virtual spaces could be decorated based on the theme of the game you are playing or a general decoration based on all of your favorite games. Developers could make game announcement and create virtual environments to interact directly with the gamers. Social spaces where you could talk with other gamers. There is nothing stopping Sony from making a VR event like E3, where they have conferences that everyone can go to and with cloud gaming allow people to play game demos.

AltSpace VR

Bigscreen VR 4 player splitscreen

VRChat

Oculus Venues

I'm sure there is a lot more that can be done, but this is a good place to start the thread.

Playstation home was dope and always crazy populated. I agree they need to do another in VR.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
VR won't be the main thing until, if ever, they fix the VRsickness part.

Hard to sell it for masses if xx% gets too sick to play it.

Immersion were really cool in RE7, feeling epicly sick after testing stuff werent.

Driveclub demo did fatality, i felt sick for 2 damn weeks after it.

So unless they promise 100% sick free experience for 100% users, no thanks.

But good if they make more stuff for those that can use it

Alucardx23

Could be me but i feel like there hardly is any attention anymore for vr as a whole.

Still alive and it will be a big part of the PS5.

"We continue to believe that VR has the potential to be a really meaningful part of the future of interactive entertainment.

The current generation of VR has exceeded our expectations. When you step back and look at it -- and this is the way I like to look at it -- one in 20 of the people who found the money to go out and buy a PlayStation 4, and all the games and peripherals that they enjoyed with that, have also found the money to then go buy the PlayStation VR and all the games and peripherals that go on top of that. And I feel good about that."

Romulus

Immersion were really cool in RE7, feeling epicly sick after testing stuff werent.

I'm still seeing less than 5% of people getting sick in my real world demos. Over 400 people tested now. Granted they're not playing for a long time but you usually have a good idea within a few minutes.

Alucardx23

There are a bunch of factors that will improve over time (Resolution, Field of view, framerate, etc), that will help reduce or eliminate VR Sickness for most people. You are also specifically talking about the VR games that move the player without the player moving physically in the real world, things like sliding over the environment to move instead of using teleport, this will cause motion sickness for a lot of people. When we talk about games like Beat Sabers, I haven't seen the first person that gets motion sickness from that.

Last edited:

Romulus

Could be me but i feel like there hardly is any attention anymore for vr as a whole.

Its the opposite. Every year its slightly more popular.

Oculus Quest has been outselling the Switch off and on since launch on Amazon. Valve Index, and the Rift S were sold out for weeks during the same months. Blood and Truth on psvr was the first VR game to chart at #1 ever, compared to all other platforms. All this happened in 2019.

And Iron Man VR and Stormland aren't even out yet. Coming late 2019.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I can't even really use the VR properly and I can see the potential.
PS Home was pretty fun, wouldn't mind seeing a return. Although, if you have access to PC VR, there are already several alternatives. Towers Unite jumps to mind.

Bryank75

Banned
I hope so, I really loved Home and had bought a load of stuff... houses, clothes etc.
It was really a special thing, very laid back and sociable.

Aranea

PlayStation Home was just an experiment by Sony and they are not interested on developing another social virtual world. If you are interested on console virtual worlds there's alternatives such as Nebula Realms or the upcoming Avilife.

Alucardx23

PlayStation Home was just an experiment by Sony and they are not interested on developing another social virtual world. If you are interested on console virtual worlds there's alternatives such as Nebula Realms or the upcoming Avilife.

This seems to point on a different direction than what you're saying, but let's wait and see.

"Sony recently pushed a new update to their virtual theater app Theater Room VR that finally lets users connect with up to three other people in a spacious digital cinema. "

JSoup

Banned
PS Home was only a failure to Sony, despite all the free money it brought in. The company that was managing it went on to make another virtual world for the PS3/4.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ehhh, what's the harm in it...just more to do. They need to work on making their next version equally as affordable (or more so) and better games.

Pallas

Gold Member
Home was interesting, sad they scrapped it so quickly though but yeah this could work well with VR if implemented correctly.

EDMIX

oh wow, I haven't heard that name in some time. My older sister LOVED playing in PS Home, I like the concept, but it never really took off. I'd like to see them give it another go if the cost make sense and if they can make it work well.

Oddspeak

My only real memories of PS Home was getting a woman to send me nudes. I was 17 and she was older, so I was shocked I pulled it off.

But yeah, generally speaking, I didn't hate it. It'd be interesting to see Sony give it another go for the truly VR-ready generation, and with more in-depth customization.

John Day

I mean, they did make quite a cent on Home microtransactions, didn’t they? I wouldn’t be surprised if they did that.

TLZ

Banned
So we get many Zoe Quinns in there claiming they were sexually harassed and raped because someone touched their virtual bum with their virtual cucumber.

Alucardx23

That doesn't change my question, I don't find any of that interesting.

Yes, but that would be something different than asking "why". If you would have said "I don't find any of that interesting", I would have asked you what has been your experience with VR so far, instead of answering the why question. Usually people like you haven't tried the best experiences VR has to offer. So..... What have you tried so far?

Last edited:
Yes, but that would be something different than asking "why". If you would have said "I don't find any of that interesting", I would have asked you what has been your experience with VR so far instead of answering the why question. Usually people like you haven't tried the best experiences VR has to offer. So..... What have you tried so far?
I had the ps vr for a few months. While I appreciated the feeling of it, it made me slightly sick in Wipeout, which is the game I really wanted to play.

I have zero interest in some virtual world with some avatar, I don't know why people want this in their lives VR makes no difference in my opinion.

A use case I see for it is in architecture, the architect could visit a future project with the client for feedback and green light. 3d artists could also work on models in the 3d environnement, more like sculptors do.

Dante83

Banned
It would be a complete waste of time and resources. I consider PS home to be one of the worst ideas of the ps3 era. VR is not going to save it. I rather have them do VR in games only, and even that is not as big as people make it out to be.

Alucardx23

I had the ps vr for a few months. While I appreciated the feeling of it, it made me slightly sick in Wipeout, which is the game I really wanted to play.

I have zero interest in some virtual world with some avatar, I don't know why people want this in their lives VR makes no difference in my opinion.

A use case I see for it is in architecture, the architect could visit a future project with the client for feedback and green light. 3d artists could also work on models in the 3d environnement, more like sculptors do.

Although Wipeout is one of the better experiences I like the most in VR, it's not a good option to try VR at the beginning. I would recommend Astro Bot, Beat Saber or Moss to begin. One of the things I like the most in VR is that you see things at their true scale, just like you mentioned for architecture and how you can appreciate better a design, the same applies for videogames.

Being able to be inside the game world changes the experience for me. If playing on a TV is like looking through a window, then VR is jumping into that window. Don't know if you saw any of the videos I posted, but the experience of playing a game with a friend in a VR space that you can decorate and where you feel that person is right there besides you is something else.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

I get you, however this is exactly what annoys me, I want more connection to the world around me, not less.

I'm interested in that connection to the outside wold when I'm not playing. It's like when you are seeing a movie for the first time and you are very interested in the plot, you don't want to play music at the same time, browse the web, play a game or start a conversation with someone while the movie is playing. Everyone that has played a scary game in VR, will tell you that they are more effective in VR because you feel completely immersed in the world.

You do realize that even gaming on a TV cannot promise 100% sick free experience for 100% users? And you can promise a 95% sick free VR experience for most users today, so long as they stick to the right games/apps where movement is in full physical control.

I get you, however this is exactly what annoys me, I want more connection to the world around me, not less.
So balance your life then? No one is forcing you to be digitally connected all the time. Besides, VR brings more connection to the real world because it enables you to visit real places that you can't reach for X reason.

Last edited:

INC

Just expand rec room, that is awesome in VR

paintball is great fun

FoV, resolution and frame rate is what's needed, but that'll be next gen

VR is the best thing this gen, games like firewall, Wipeout, res7 and blood and truth, show the tech is almost there

Firewall is probably my favourite shooter this gen, going back to 2d shooters just feels.....well ...... flat now

EctoPrime

VR is done for a while, much like 3d display output.

PS Home was a weird Second Life knockoff thing that evolved into live service game with new content each week made by dozens of developers. It could of been making Sony a crapload of money if they kept it around with likely Rocket league and Fortnite inspired game zones. The free PS1 game giveaways didnt hurt either.

shaddam

I thought PS Home was literally printing money. I heard stories about people spending 200+ usd on virtual clothes

Three

VR is the best thing this gen, games like firewall, Wipeout, res7 and blood and truth, show the tech is almost there

Firewall is probably my favourite shooter this gen, going back to 2d shooters just feels.....well ...... flat now
Man, if you haven't checked out Astro Bot Rescue Mission you definitely should. Best VR game I've played so far. It was my Mario 64 moment for VR. Family tried it too and they were smiling from ear to ear.

Last edited:

INC

Man, if you haven't checked out Astro Bot Rescue Mission you definitely should. Best VR game I've played so far. It was my Mario 64 moment for VR. Family tried it too and they were smiling from ear to ear.

Yeh I have, sorry forgot that one, moss is also amazing, there's loads of amazing games.
Even the astro play room is great fun.

Even the shitty ones can be fun in coop, like Arizona sunshine etc

VR is the best thing in gaming to happen for me in year's, and I've been gaming since the 80's

You want more connection to the outside world boxed inside a room staring at tv screen.
Don't worry, my gaming time is mixed up with a lot of outdoors, work and family time.

VR is just so immersive that it messes with your perception of reality - really, not just by making you see stuff on tye screen - you know, but a lot of your brain is just wherever you are in VR, when a person im the room tries to talk to you your reflex is to look for tyem, if you hit a real object (especially if in sync with whatever is going on in the hat) it feels eerily real..
Amd when you come out it's almost like jumping in another dimension.

And I only tried low end VR on the ps4 and Google cardboard!

Romulus

I like how you're convinced that VR will be "a major part of next gen" lol.

It depends on your definition of "major" but its It's definitely going to get more popular. Sony already made mention that VR was important to them going forward in different interviews and confirmed it for PS5.
And the PSVR already has a great catalog of good games considering its age, and that's considering it was held it back by the PS4 hardware. Lots of developers stressed that they just couldn't get their games up and running on the hardware.

PS5 won't have that problem.

Wonko_C

With the success of VR Chat (It's even found a new niche of successful youtube channels) I don't see a new VR social space next gen as a question of "If", but "when".

People can now interact (admittedly crudely, for now) with friends/family who are miles apart. It's also a game changer for long distance relationships between couples.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Astro Bot was my game of the year. That game is pure magic and happiness in a bundle of joy.

Alucardx23

I like how you're convinced that VR will be "a major part of next gen" lol.

It helps when I read this from Sony.

"We continue to believe that VR has the potential to be a really meaningful part of the future of interactive entertainment.

The current generation of VR has exceeded our expectations. When you step back and look at it -- and this is the way I like to look at it -- one in 20 of the people who found the money to go out and buy a PlayStation 4, and all the games and peripherals that they enjoyed with that, have also found the money to then go buy the PlayStation VR and all the games and peripherals that go on top of that. And I feel good about that."

Almost sure Microsoft will also be supporting VR for the next Xbox. Even Nintendo started to experiment with VR this Gen. You will only see this grow as the time passes.

Almost sure Microsoft will also be supporting VR for the next Xbox. Even Nintendo started to experiment with VR this Gen. You will only see this grow as the time passes.
I am not so sure about Microsoft. Right now Microsoft is being in two minds concerning their hardware, and starting VR for Scarlet is the kind of investment that just doesn't seem to have been factored in.

Their main headgear, the Enterprise AR glasses, continue to be too expensive for gaming. Unless Microsoft decided to make the likes of Oculus compatible with Scarlet, I don't see MS actually put down the money to make an exclusive peripheral for Scarlet. At least not until they were sure Scarlet has stable footing and with enough good first party exclusives. It just seems to be an expansion that MS couldn't afford.

Alucardx23

I am not so sure about Microsoft. Right now Microsoft is being in two minds concerning their hardware, and starting VR for Scarlet is the kind of investment that just doesn't seem to have been factored in.

Their main headgear, the Enterprise AR glasses, continue to be too expensive for gaming. Unless Microsoft decided to make the likes of Oculus compatible with Scarlet, I don't see MS actually put down the money to make an exclusive peripheral for Scarlet. At least not until they were sure Scarlet has stable footing and with enough good first party exclusives. It just seems to be an expansion that MS couldn't afford.

Microsoft already is supporting VR on PC with the mixed reality headsets. They even announced VR support for the One X but later backtracked on that. I think that the reason for that was that the Xbox One was not powerful enough and after trying VR on the PS4, I would agree. I don't think that Microsoft can afford to not support VR for next gen, specially with the game streaming service that are coming like Stadia, VR is something that cannot be done yet on the cloud, so it will be a reason to buy a console.

Top Bottom